Driving from Anchorage to Homer

Liz315

The Turnagain Arm offers some great sightseeing and activities. I think it's an enjoyable ride until just past Cooper Landing on the Kenai River, then it gets pretty flat and uneventful until Sodotna. I always stop along the Kenai River ... the color is amazing. Salmon Chowder at Gwins in Cooper Landing. Stop at the Moose is Loose Bakery in Soldotna:). There are some nice turnouts between Soldotna and Homer where there's beach access, or views of the volcanoes, and of course the Orthodox Church in Ninilchik.

http://alaska.org/driving/homer-drive.htm

Thank you all for the feedback, it really helps when making my plans.:)

What do you have planned to do in Homer and how long of a drive is it? Very curious about this city and Dutch Harbor because of "Deadliest Catch".

We will be spending 3 days in Homer on the Spit. One day will be spent with the bears out on Katmai. http://www.alaskabearviewing.com/

Another day will be spent with rainbow tours touring gull island and Seldovia. http://rainbowtours.net/seldovia-wildlife-tour.htm while the guys spend the day Halibut fishing. And the last day will be spent checking out more of Homer then onto Seward.

It is about a 5 hour drive from Anchorage to Homer. (from what I've read). Not including stops.

What do you have planned to do in Homer and how long of a drive is it? Very curious about this city and Dutch Harbor because of "Deadliest Catch".

From Anchorage you're looking at a 4 1/2 to 5 hour drive. It's a small town, that, has a spit that sticks out into Kachemak Bay. Great day boat trips out, galleries, Ocean Center, good food, small shops, walking the Spit and Bishop's Beach. One of my favorite places in Southcentral Alaska.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Is your ship going to Dutch Harbor? Or are you taking the ferry???

There really isn't much there. A fishing village, a couple of museums dedicated to the early Russian fur traders and the Aleut peoples. The WW II stuff is pretty interesting-the Japanese attacked the Aleutians.

I took the Alaska ferry a few years ago just to say I went to the Aleutians. As much time as I have spent in Alaska, I wasn't particularly impressed with Dutch Harbor.

And what is in Homer for "Deadliest Catch" is VERY, VERY touristy, particularly all the merchandise sales. Sure doesn't come close to matching what really goes on in the Bering Sea during crab season. And it doesn't even come close to the local commercial fishing boats that bring in the salmon and halibut harvest day after day in the summer. I think that is MUCH more interesting to watch because it is real, not a TV show.

We co-own a condo in Homer and spend plenty of time there. My favorite things are just wandering around the Spit people watching and going out to Fritz Creek.

Fritz Creek grocery/post office/community center is truly a throwback to 1960's Venice Beach/Haight Ashbury Ca-hippie skirts, unshaved underarms and all. BUT they have some of the best bakery goods in Alaska and their homemade baklava is some of the best I have eaten in the entire world (including in the Middle East). Their soups are thick, meaty if that is what you want and make an entire meal. It is a very peaceful place with a true Summer of Love 1968 feel to it. And the views of the Bay on the drive out East End Rd are truly spectacular.

What were your favorite stops along the way?

One place no one mentioned-in Soldotna, just as you are coming into town, is a Fred Myers store. Make a left turn there if you are headed South. Out that road-Redoubt Rd-it is THICK with moose early mornings and at dusk.

I have seen more moose on that road day after day than I have seen any place else in Alaska. This last fall, a Mom had 3 babies. Hubby said that is REALLY, REALLY unusual. Maybe it was an "adopted" child. I saw that Mom with the three babies every day for 3 consecutive days while we stayed at Pete's this fall (DH was fishing).

If you're interested in (very glamorized) TV shows about Alaska, you can watch "Alaska - The Last Frontier" on Discovery TV. It follows various members of the Kilcher clan from Homer (the late paterfamilias Yule Kilcher homesteaded in Homer in the 1940s) as they raise cows, shoot critters, chop wood and mug for the cameras nonstop. Atz Kilcher (Yule's son) is the singer Jewel's dad, FWIW. Homer may be the "end of the road" (Tom Bodett) but it's the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow for the Kilchers.

Dutch Harbor is a geographic feature; the actual name of the village is Unalaska. The Chain is well worth a visit, but it's not an easy place to get to or from.

I've been there when the Time Bandit was tied up. There weren't any "tourists" walking behind the businesses, so probably most people didn't even notice. I took a few photos for my son, and spent a few minutes watching loading. Nice looking boat. :)

In addition to some of the prior ideas for Homer, also consider the Pratt Museum. Very nice little museum with a particular interest in natural history.

Unalaska/Dutch Harbor is a very interesting place. As already mentioned it was bombed by the Japanese during WWII. Currently it is a major fishing port, and a great place for birding. Avid birders (I'm a SOB -- spouse of a birder) fly out to spend days in the cold and wind looking at the Asiatics who nest there.

Anywhere along Turnagain Arm is a nice stop. If you want to see animals the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center at Portage is a nice stop. http://www.alaskawildlife.org/

For us it's tradition to stop at the Tesoro at Girdwood and get a hot dog. The bakery there is really good too.

As you come into Anchor Point, take the turn off to go down to the mouth of the Anchor River. The view from the beach there is amazing. http://*******/maps/3UGE6

Archived