When did Carnival start using Falmouth?

I think it's kind of like Icy Strait Point and Costa Maya....the cruise lines put money into building these cruise ship only ports. And it is a business decision about how to derive revenue from ships that dock there for the day. :)

Falmouth is owned by the Jamaica Port Authority, not RCI. The JPA invested approx. $250MM in the port to satisfy the need for a port mid-way between Ocho Rios and Montego Bay for the Oasis class ships, but it is not exclusive to those ships or RCI. RCI invested no $ in its development. Other ships can use - and do use - the port at JPA's discretion.

There are contracts in place between RC and the Jamaican authorities. Apparently that contract allows other ships to use the port at Falmouth. It COULD have been written with any number of provisions, but apparently, exclusivity wasn't one of them. At least not at this point in the contract.

I remember when Carnival Corporation first developed Turks & Caicos as a cruise port, only CC ships went there. I believe that others now call.

There are contracts in place between RC and the Jamaican authorities. Apparently that contract allows other ships to use the port at Falmouth. It COULD have been written with any number of provisions, but apparently, exclusivity wasn't one of them. At least not at this point in the contract.

I remember when Carnival Corporation first developed Turks & Caicos as a cruise port, only CC ships went there. I believe that others now call.

That makes sense. I've never heard of Carnival docking in Falmouth, but I remember seeing it on a HAL itinerary.

Falmouth is owned by the Jamaica Port Authority, not RCI. The JPA invested approx. $250MM in the port to satisfy the need for a port mid-way between Ocho Rios and Montego Bay for the Oasis class ships, but it is not exclusive to those ships or RCI. RCI invested no $ in its development. Other ships can use - and do use - the port at JPA's discretion.

While this is technically true there was a significant investment by RCCL... $122 million worth.

http://www.hickeylawfirm.com/tag/rccl-port-deal/#top

I can't believe any cruise lines (or passengers) want to come here at all. Its a silly fake "destination" with crappily thrown together buildings surrounded with dangerous, pushy, ganja-fueled inhabitants in a poor third world country.

This is not a nice place - Jamaica in general, but especially Falmouth.

While this is technically true there was a significant investment by RCCL... $122 million worth.

http://www.hickeylawfirm.com/tag/rccl-port-deal/#top

Wow, 400,000 guests per year for the next 20 years!? That seems like a lot! :confused:

I can't believe any cruise lines (or passengers) want to come here at all. Its a silly fake "destination" with crappily thrown together buildings surrounded with dangerous, pushy, ganja-fueled inhabitants in a poor third world country.

This is not a nice place - Jamaica in general, but especially Falmouth.

You may think that Falmouth is crappy just because it's new. How do you think any new destination gets to be known as a destination? It gets built up over time!

Wow, 400,000 guests per year for the next 20 years!? That seems like a lot!

At around 6000 passengers each, Oasis and Allure alone will account for around 300,000 guests per year, and there a lots of other ships that call as well.

At around 6000 passengers each, Oasis and Allure alone will account for around 300,000 guests per year, and there a lots of other ships that call as well.

I guess, plus there's a lot more ships in the winter time.

Archived