LIVE from Explorer of the Seas 12.3.12!

bradpole

Hello Everyone!

I wanted to everyone know that I plan to post “live” from the 12.3.12 sailing of Explorer of the Seas .

>>>>>>>>>Snip Fwd>>>>>>>

So to everyone who cruises on a passport, check your expiration date, your passport MAY expire BEFORE you think it does!

I hope you follow along, and if you have any questions please let me know!

Just an FYI, if the new menus are on Explorer (I think I read they are) I plan to post what they are for the 10 night cruises on Explorer.

I read your first Live and enjoyed it very much! Looking forward to sailing along on this one too!

I'll be watching the NY Harbor webcam for your sail away!

http://www.nyharborwebcam.com/

Have a great cruise!

Eric

I was watching too, then had to take a call!! Hi Eric, best wishes to you & your family for a wonderful holiday season! It was nice cruising with you guys!

I cruised on Explorer with my wife 11-15-12 to 11-24-12. It's a fine ship and we had a good cruise. I'd like to follow up a few points.

1.) We did port at Samana, Dominican Republic, enjoyed the lush tropical island view, enjoyed the ATV excursion, and found the 'natives' friendly (even people we drove by who weren't in the position to get a hand out). Not saying that's everyone's experience, and what excursion you take will impact that, but I had a good time there.

2.) The Windjammer can be pretty packed at times. I don't like taking food outside (e.g.: to room or on the pool deck) since I know picking up dishes adds to staff work, but if you can't get seating, you do have an option.

3.) If you're in port anywhere at night, take your digital camera, turn the flash setting to off, brace it on a stationary object, and take several still photos of the ship. If the camera's flash is off, it'll jack up the ISO a bit and factor that into exposure, helping you get a decent night shot, I got a nice one on our cruise.

4.) I parasailed in Labidee, and it was fun. Didn't even get wet. The sail lifted me off the back of the boat, then reeled me back in (via a line, like letting a boat off a boat trailer & bring it back on). I'd thought it'd be like water skiing and that I'd be dumped in the water, but not so. Worth a try.

5.) The Atlantic up & down the east coast is not the Caribbean. If you are at all prone to motion sickness, might want to get the Bonine or what-have-you going. I know you've been on the Explorer before, but someone considering it might be reading this thread & benefit from the heads-up, so I mentioned it.

Richard.

2.) The Windjammer can be pretty packed at times. I don't like taking food outside (e.g.: to room or on the pool deck) since I know picking up dishes adds to staff work, but if you can't get seating, you do have an option.

Definitely true on embarkation day in the wintertime. Normally, a lot of people rush to finish lunch so that they can get a prime spot on the pool deck. However, when we sailed last December from New Jersey, no one was laying by the pool and it seemed like most people were lingering and taking their time in the WJ. We ended up circling for about twenty-ish minutes before getting a table, but we had no problems after that first day.

Good morning everyone from the beautiful Explorer of the Seas!

For inquiring minds:

The officers and staff onboard this cruise

Captain Henrik Loy

Hotel Director Gary Davies

Cruise Director Leigh Xuereb

Food and Beverage Director Ingolf Lars Pisch

I can not believe how good the weather is today! It is bright and sunny, and warm enough you can be outside without feeling chilly! I can't believe it is december. I'm typing this from my favorite day time hiding spot onboard any Royal Caribbean ship, the Viking Crown Lounge. Looking out over the pool deck there are people in the pool. I'm used to the first and last sea day on voyages from Bayonne to be strictly indoor days

The ocean is fairly flat, just a nice slight pitch and roll on the ship, just enough to remind you we are on a ship.

A recap of last evening:

There was one show at 7:45 for all guests in the Palace theatre, "The welcome aboard show staring the comedy of Steve Shaffer" We had intended on going, we almost always make it o the welcome aboard show, but never made it.

At 8:30 we made our way to second sitting, we have a table for 6 on the lower level of the dining room with a excellent team of servers taking care of us. The other 4 seats were empty tonight, hopefully we'll meet our dining companions tonight.

Today's compass offers a full schedule of events for those that wish to partake.

Blades - The Ice Challenge at 3pm and 5pm

Production Showtime "Invitation to Dance" 9 and 10:45pm

Late night adult comedy midnight

Napkin folding at 11am

Bingo (of course) at 11:15

Paper airplane making contest at Noon

And today's movie is "Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol" at 1 and 4pm.

For me I think I'll enjoy my Kindle and the Viking Crown!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As for plans in port, a whole lot of nothing!

Besides making sure we bring home a few boxes of the wonderful chocolate from the Belgium Chocolate lady in St Maarten for gifts we don't have very much planned.

ok, now I have something I have to do while in St. Maarten next year!

Where is the chocolate lady exactly?

Is it a shop in Marigot?

If it's the same place we go to (the Belgian Chocolate Box), it's really easy to find, 109 Old Street, Philipsburg, just off the main street... I could stand there and watch them make chocolate all day long. Best part, for me, is they will deliver the chocolate to the ship, so you don't have to carry it around and risk it melting.

Is it a shop in Marigot?

If it's the same place we go to (the Belgian Chocolate Box), it's really easy to find, 109 Old Street, Philipsburg, just off the main street... I could stand there and watch them make chocolate all day long. Best part, for me, is they will deliver the chocolate to the ship, so you don't have to carry it around and risk it melting.

Awesome! Thanks so much for the info.

Hello again!

Not much new to report today, except the weather is truly exceptional today! At the noon announcement the captain said this great weather should continue tomorrow!

I wanted to share something with you that I never noticed before on this ship. Right as you exit the elevator and enter Dizzys (deck 14 the Viking crown) there is a large sculpture of Dizzy Gillespie. I guess someone sometime ago thought it would be cool to have the statue every 10 minutes or so play a 5 second Dizzy Gillespie clip!

The first time it played I nearly jumped out of my seat! It is LOUD!

As I'm typing this there was a lady who walked into the Viking Crown, leaned against the statue for a moment and nearly jumped through the ceiling when the next sound clip of Dizzy on the trumpet played...I'm glad I'm not the only one who got spooked by it!

We had an enjoyable lunch in the windjammer, it was pretty crowded but if you keep walking all the way to the back there seemed to be plenty of tables. The offerings for lunch were the pretty standard fare, but the Indian dishes were exceptional!

I added a couple of photos to the day 2 gallery, two of the new desserts from dinner last night and the crown and anchor robes that were delivered to the cabin last night, they see to be a bit thicker and nicer than the standard RCL robes from the past

http://www.polerez.com/cruisephotos/index.php/Explorer-of-the-Seas-12-3-12

Is it a shop in Marigot?

She also has a small stand near the taxi drop off area at the pier, not sure how long she's had that location , we first noticed it last December.

Hello Brad My parents are on the ship with you. Me and my kids came to watch you sail off and wave goodbye. If you see a lady that most of the crew calls "Mommy" say hello to her thats my mom. tell her I said hello. see if you can find her. let me know how you make out. Enjoy the trip.

And we are off!!

Just about 4:32ish, they were loading luggage until the very last second

Archived