Penthouse suites.. All in a name?

Jacqueline

In taking a close look, the penthouses on O do not seem to be bigger or offer much more in the way of amenities than the deluxe suites or minisuites on other lines. They do not split out the cabin size and the veranda. On some cruises the size of the veranda is more important than others.. As it is I have one of the oversized veranda cabins on Riviera over the MDR..

I have indeed looked at the amenities. Spa is good but could buy that for only $25 a day. Having more dining reservations is good as well. I am sure that I could find a way to enjoy my butler...

A guess a rose is a rose by any other name,,, or not. And I guess the amount of the differential in price.

In taking a close look, the penthouses on O do not seem to be bigger or offer much more in the way of amenities than the deluxe suites or minisuites on other lines. They do not split out the cabin size and the veranda. On some cruises the size of the veranda is more important than others.. As it is I have one of the oversized veranda cabins on Riviera over the MDR..

I have indeed looked at the amenities. Spa is good but could buy that for only $25 a day. Having more dining reservations is good as well. I am sure that I could find a way to enjoy my butler...

A guess a rose is a rose by any other name,,, or not. And I guess the amount of the differential in price.

The Penthouse Suites are definitely larger than the Verandah cabins. The verandahs are the same size for the Penthouse as the other lower level verandahs except for the B4's which have the extended balcony. The Penthouse suites on Marina and Riviera receive the same number of specialty restaurant reservations as the lower level cabins - one per restaurant. It probably would be a good idea to split out the cabin square footage from the balcony.

The PHs are a good bit wider than a regular verandah cabin, so you have the two chairs and table at the foot of the bed, a wider walking area than the verandah cabins after the table and chairs, and then a vanity desk, built-in refrigerator and two sets of drawers. The sitting area is also obviously wider, so you get an extra chair (I think), but clearly more space.

The previous answer is correct that you only get one reservation per specialty dining room -- you have to go up to an Oceania Suite or above to get the extra dining slots -- but you can have your butler deliver a meal from any of the restaurants, and it will be delivered course-by-course. This is actually a good option, as short cruises tend to have few extra slots in the specialty dining rooms.

As to the verandahs, they are the same depth as the regular verandah cabins, but they are wider (as wide as the cabin), so the verandah area is indeed larger.

As you say, the most significant difference in sailing in a Penthouse Suite on Oceania is having the Butler (used correctly he can make your cruise!), then the extended Room Service Menu (course by course from the Specialty Restaurants, if you desire it!) and of course the extended (Hot) Breakfasts, which are lovely and SO convenient, and then the much, much larger accommodations. As you are sailing on the Riviera, I'll note that her Penthouses are 420 sq feet versus 282 sq feet for an A1.

marina-penthouse-suite.jpg That extra elbow room really makes a big difference.

Cabin-5-Bedroom-1.jpg -oh, and we mustn't forget the larger bath and walk in closet-

Cabin-5-Bathroom-1.jpgmarinapenthousesuitecloset-470x352.jpg

On our Riviera sailing this summer we were in an A2 Concierge cabin on Deck 10 which is the same size as the other veranda cabins in B4 through A1 categories from what I was told. However, a friend was down the hall in a PH3 and my first impression upon walking into her cabin was that it was about twice the size of our cabin. I don't have the square footage to verify that impression, but upon entering her cabin I was blown away with the decor and size compared to our cabin (which was also lovely).

I also liked the dining table, fresh flowers, huge walk in closet, separate seating area with couch, etc. For dining in stateroom, the layout was far superior with a more open feeling and lots of light. Their butler was able to get a couple of extra seatings for them in the Specialty Restaurants.

We were on a very port intensive itinerary, so not much time was spent in our cabin unless we were bathing, dressing or sleeping. However, if we take a sailing in the future where the itinerary is more relaxed, I will definitely look into PH. I think the difference on our sailing was only about $900 (over 16 days) which is a bit more, but when considering the entire cost of our trip it wasn't so much more and it could be worth booking the PH initially, or trying for an upsell later.

I think JimandStan have posted some excellent pictures of a Riviera or Marina PH in the past that perhaps you could find. From what I remember, their pictures do more justice to the lovely PH than the pictures in the O brochures. JMHO.

The PH has about 120 sf more space than a balcony cabin and a wider balcony. To compare the two, if you have been on these lines- a little more than the difference in size between a balcony cabin and superior suite on HAL, a lot more than the difference in size between a balcony cabin and sky suite on Celebrity, and about the same difference in size between a balcony cabin and Grand Suite on Royal Caribbean.

You can make specialty dining reservations several weeks earlier, so you probably have more choice of times- not a deal maker to me, but a nice perk. There is a butler and a lounge, neither of which I use and some areas of the spa are free.

For that, you pay a lot more. For that reason, I take the B-4 cabins with the extended balcony (now B-3). I was offered an upgrade to the concierge balcony cabin for very little, but elected to keep the one with the extended balcony as it is twice as deep as that of the other cabin. However, when I was offered an upsell to a PH for my next cruise for a fraction of the usual extra cost, I jumped on it. It is a much bigger cabin and that IMHO is what you are paying for and worth it to me, even though I do not take advantage of the other perks.

I disagree that it is a rose by any other name - it is a much bigger cabin. If you don't care about that, it is silly to spend any more. We love to hang out in the cabin and are willing to spend more for it. You can name it what you want - as it is not on the top deck, penthouse is a misnomer, but as you said a rose by any other name. As long as I am on an Oceania cruise, I am happy, even if I took an interior room (and think of the savings on that one).

I have the B4 with the extended veranda. But having seen the lovely Penthouse, I will think about upgrading. Not much sense in moving to the other Verandah cabins as I am fine with my location and the cabin sizes are the same.

What terrific pictues s, Jim. Thank you. On a cruise with few ports and cooler wearher, the larger cabin would be nice. We might not be spending as much time on the open decks or on the veranda except for the beginning end (it is the spring TA on the Riviera)..

I am now talking myself into this. I think final payment is in a month or so. What is the best approach to take? I am happy with what we have, but for the right price, I could be upsold.

Let your travel agent know you are interested in an upsell, should one become available. My agent emailed and called me when Oceania offered the upsell recently, so having a good agent is key as I am sure many people jumped at the offer. If you check out your sailing on the web site, if your category and lower are sold out or wait listed and the more expensive cabins are listed as available, O might start offering upsells to free up some of the cheaper cabins. If all are selling well, you are probably out of luck and would need to pay the full ticket to upgrade. We were offered a B-4 to concierge upsell on the cruise we took a few months ago, which I turned down to keep the large balcony, but I told her I was interested in a PH. O was not offering any special deals for those so I kept my cabin and still loved my cruise.

As you say, the most significant difference in sailing in a Penthouse Suite on Oceania is having the Butler (used correctly he can make your cruise!)...

We have a butler (for the first time) on an upcoming cruise. How does one "correctly" use his services?

Benita,

Thanks. i am in the same situation cabinwise.

I used to have a terrific TA but she became a bit too busy and unavailable. She ended up having a lot of people filling in for her, which did not work for me.

Last trip or two I booked directly... But I do miss having the services of a knowledgable TA. When I first started sailing, there was was an energetic woman, now deceased. She was a wonder, always available, knowledgeable, and terrific pricing to boot!

JimandStan - thank you for posting those pics! Really helpful!

We are going to be cruising with Oceania for the first time in September 2013 for our honeymoon! We selected the Venice to Barcelona itinerary.

RE: RIVIERA

We scoped out the different suite/cabin types and landed on a PH2. Novice-style, we did not consider things like location within the deck - forward, center, aft - until I wrote our Travel Agent this morning to say that I think we are going to go with a PH2, and she inquired as to our suite location preference.

I was thinking that one of the forward most rooms (11000 & 11001) might be great for view, etc., but after chatting with the TA earlier & hitting the web, I am realizing that I absolutely did not take into account things like location for stability to hopefully avoid seasickness, etc.

I also saw some pics & comments posted indicating that the overhang of Deck 12 seemingly affected the PH2 suites on Deck 11 by blocking a bit of sunlight and obstructing some picture/views. JimandStan, I recall you being so kind to be one of the users who posted the pictures! http://media9.dropshots.com/photos/703158/20120517/061836.jpg

Does anyone have experience with this on the Riviera? Any PH2'ers who would do it the same again, or go down to a PH3 on Deck 10 for a considerably better scenario?

ANY OTHER advice you may have - like the side of ship in regards to the Venice to Barcelona itinerary, etc., I am grateful for! I had no idea how many different elements/choices there would be, and I of course want to plan/book it to the best of my ability!

Any help would be truly appreciated! Thank you!

Congrats on your upcoming nuptials. We were in a PH1 on the sister ship, the Marina and barely noticed the overhang. It did not disrupt our view at all. I like cabins in the middle if the ship, as there is less motion. Personally, I would choose a PH3, one deck down towards the center. It is sandwiched between 2 decks of cabins, so you will not hear noises from the pool deck or restaurant. Besides, it costs several hundred dollars less than a PH1 and 2. The only negative is you have to go up a deck to the executive lounge, so it is slightly less convenient to pop in.

was thinking that one of the forward most rooms (11000 & 11001) might be great for view, etc., but after chatting with the TA earlier & hitting the web, I am realizing that I absolutely did not take into account things like location for stability to hopefully avoid seasickness, etc.

Those Penthouses at the very front of Deck 11 don't have a better view than any other penthouse along the side of the ship (and none at all towards the bow), because the structure that houses the Bridge and the Officers Quarters is directly in front of them.

191756.jpg Those big Round Portholes are in the Captains Cabin.

Does anyone have experience with this on the Riviera? Any PH2'ers who would do it the same again, or go down to a PH3 on Deck 10 for a considerably better scenario?

As you say, Deck 10 is far enough below the overhang, or to be more precise, the cantilever of Deck 12, so that light and views are completely unaffected.

070851.jpg

ANY OTHER advice you may have - like the side of ship in regards to the Venice to Barcelona itinerary, etc., I am grateful for! I had no idea how many different elements/choices there would be, and I of course want to plan/book it to the best of my ability!

Although it may seem that your cruise is a coastal one, for various reasons the ship will almost always be sailing out of site of land. For perhaps an hour going in, and an hour going out of the ports, the cabins that face forward and aft have a spectacular advantage:

104209.jpgThis photo was taken from an aft facing Oceania Suite in Venice.

Otherwise, which side is best is really a toss up. As you sail out of Venice, the Arsenal will be on the Port Side, but the Lido will be to Starboard.

Hi Benita - thank you so much for your advice, I really appreciate it! Your post jogs the memory that our travel agent did mention that in some of the suites, the pool deck furniture being dragged & setup in the morning by the staff could be heard.

Looking at the deck plan, while hard to do a direct compare, if we stuck with a Deck 11 PH2, does anyone know if I would be correct in thinking that suite numbers around the 11015-11017 range might be least victim to Deck 12 sound?

Thank you again!!!

Jimandstan - WOW - thank you for your illustrative help! I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to share your knowledge, as well as with pictures! Sounds like you can't lose in regards to which side of the ship the suite is on, so that's great to hear!

Thanks again!!!

cspre: 11015 and 11017 have Oceania Suites above them, so you won't be affected by noise from the pool deck.

We were in 11020 on Marina and loved the location--close to the stairs and the elevator banks (very convenient), the laundry, and the Executive Lounge. Have booked the same PH on Riviera. Oh, and we didn't mind the overhang at all.

cspre: 11015 and 11017 have Oceania Suites above them, so you won't be affected by noise from the pool deck.

We were in 11020 on Marina and loved the location--close to the stairs and the elevator banks (very convenient), the laundry, and the Executive Lounge. Have booked the same PH on Riviera. Oh, and we didn't mind the overhang at all.

You beat me to the same exact response. We were also in 11020 on the Marina and booked it again on the Riviera. Being under the suites or culinary center is ideal.

You beat me to the same exact response. We were also in 11020 on the Marina and booked it again on the Riviera. Being under the suites or culinary center is ideal.

:) Did they still have the ropes on the veranda railing, holding the overhead pipes in place?

We loved that location--and Anthony, our butler was fabulous. (Never knew I'd use one, but he was a mindreader at times.)

We have a butler (for the first time) on an upcoming cruise. How does one "correctly" use his services?

Never heard it that way either..but your room attendant ( Butler) can make the most out of your cruise if you just ask.. anything you think you want ask..anything you may need ask, even if it seems crazy.. want to host a small cocktail party in your cabin ask ..he/she will set you up , want tea at 4 got it..need reservation at a restaurant and used up your "nights" ask , shore excursions, anything they know it..

Have had many a fine party with the wonderful assistance of our butler..have even asked for my bubble bath drawn with rose petals.. and champagne.. done...

NICE..just because.just because..why not?:rolleyes:

cspre....

We prefer mid ships. My wife is a little prone to seasickness.

A mid ships PH3 is our preference particularly on a port intensive cruise. I like to take photographs when close to land and entering and leaving ports and I found the overhang does get in the way. If you are in a port with beautiful scenery climbing up a hillside you can only see a limited amount of the scenery. Of course you can go to a top deck to take photos but that somewhat defeats the point of having your own private verandah which can be very useful on early morning port arrivals.

We wanted a PH3 on Riviera for an upcoming TA cruise but all mid ships cabins were taken so we have a PH1. Only three ports and lots of sea days so the overhang is less of an issue. Enjoy your cruise.

The midship PH3's on Deck 10 of Riviera and Marina will be PH2's by the end of 2013, part of the same change that bumps the extended deck B4's up to B3. The PH3's will then end at 10020 (which we booked for our 2014 NY to London cruise).

I almost hesitate to mention this, because drawing attention to them will just make it more difficult for me to get one, but for those who like extended balconies, there are four penthouse cabins at the aft end of Deck 7. They were PH3's, but the two at the very stern will be bumped to PH1, and the other two, just forward of those will now be PH2. We're booked in 7128 for our April, 2013 crossing.

You can see a comparison between the existing and future deck plans at http://www.oceaniacruises.com/documents/deck-plans/Deck-Plans_O-Class.pdf . The change takes place on Marina Dec 8, 2013 and on Riviera Dec 12, 2013. Thus, it will be a little more than a year before the changes take effect.

Archived