Flying with prescriptions question

kelkel2

I too use Restasis. The box is rigid plastic and not collapsible. I take a copy of the prescription along with the vials and my daily wear contacts. I've only had a problem once, at Heathrow. The security agent insisted that liquid prescription medications all had to fit in the quart baggie. I had to do some very fast switching and cramming. I've flown all over the world with my contacts and drops in a separate bag, and he was the only one to raise the issue. I figured he was wrong, but arguing was useless.

He must have been the same one my wife ran into at Heathrow. She had a 4 ounce bottle of saline for her contacts and he would not let them through. We had gone through security in LAX, Heathrow, and Paris without a problem previously on our trip

He must have been the same one my wife ran into at Heathrow. She had a 4 ounce bottle of saline for her contacts and he would not let them through. We had gone through security in LAX, Heathrow, and Paris without a problem previously on our trip

Don't you just hate the overzealous TSA agent on a power trip?:rolleyes:

DH and I carry Rx's in their original bottles. I put otc pills in other containers if I need to downsize. If there were an issue it wouldn't be a big deal to have the OTC's dumped--except for Allegra D since it has such strict limited purchase rules that it would be a pain to replace (that is in bubble packs so luckily it's not an issue).

We can't carry prescription copies for DH's pain meds since controlled medication rx's are so strictly regulated. We do carry business cards with us for all of his doctors. Also, we always keep our prescription meds with us or in a safe in the room.

I travel so much that the way I travel with meds is the same way I keep them when at home. No point at all in switching back and forth as there is the risk I might forget something important.

I also take "double" meds for whatever time I'll be away. One set in my pocketbook and the other in my carry on in case my pocketbook gets taken. I know crazy but I had an instance where I was delayed for 5 days and ran out. I rather be looking at it than for it!! Still working on the insulin pens and how to keep them as they are only good for 28 days once out of the fridge. Any suggestions for the insulin?

I'm on an injectible drug for a different problem and use FRIO packs to keep things a comfortable/safe temp. I found the best selection to be on Amazon. Prices seem to be about the same everywhere. FRIO packs do not use ice. You soak the interior lining in water for a few minutes and the cooling happens by evaporation.

I use FRIO packs in the summer in Texas! (but I don't leave my purse in a hot car).

Do not put the FRIO into a plastic bag as it will not work if it can't get air circulation.

Here's a link to Amazon but there are other companies that sell FRIO as well.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keywords=frio&page=1&rh=n%3A3760901%2Ck%3Afrio

I'm on an injectible drug for a different problem and use FRIO packs to keep things a comfortable/safe temp. I found the best selection to be on Amazon. Prices seem to be about the same everywhere. FRIO packs do not use ice. You soak the interior lining in water for a few minutes and the cooling happens by evaporation.

I use FRIO packs in the summer in Texas! (but I don't leave my purse in a hot car).

Do not put the FRIO into a plastic bag as it will not work if it can't get air circulation.

We got these for our upcoming trip for DH insulen. We did a test run this summer and am very happy with how they turned out. Other than the drying time between uses! Takes forever!

Thanks! I think I might have used them in the past but mine only held 2 pens. I have 2 different insulins so will probably be taking 3-5 pens with me. Do they come in larger "holding" quanities?

Thanks! I think I might have used them in the past but mine only held 2 pens. I have 2 different insulins so will probably be taking 3-5 pens with me. Do they come in larger "holding" quanities?

Mine hold 5 pens each (I have two).

I live in Texas. Getting the FRIO liners to dry out is not hard to do. However, I just keep recharging them (soaking in water) and using them frequently.

I know they come in a variety of sizes and colors.

I can see no wear and tear on mine after many, many years of use.

The dryer the environment, the more cooling FRIO provides. I've noticed this in wetter climates....less cooling.

Do not carry the FRIO wrapped in plastic or buried in the middle of a purse/bag. They need to breathe.

I've read thru the thread, and could easily have missed this since it's kind of got onto specific med questions, but... When we travel, our pharmacy will gladly transfer large meds (lets say a 90 day supply) into smaller containers with the prescription attached to each smaller vial. Therefore, we can take as much, or little as we decide and they all have the script attached.

I've read thru the thread, and could easily have missed this since it's kind of got onto specific med questions, but... When we travel, our pharmacy will gladly transfer large meds (lets say a 90 day supply) into smaller containers with the prescription attached to each smaller vial. Therefore, we can take as much, or little as we decide and they all have the script attached.

Yes, if you get your Rx meds from a local pharmacy where you can talk to the people you can sometimes get smaller containers with labels.

Sadly many of us are limited by our medical coverage to ordering in advance by mail or online with our items delived by mail or UPS. No small sizes available for us as.

Yes, if you get your Rx meds from a local pharmacy where you can talk to the people you can sometimes get smaller containers with labels.

Sadly many of us are limited by our medical coverage to ordering in advance by mail or online with our items delived by mail or UPS. No small sizes available for us as.

At times, I have been able to get the insurance to cover a short supply from the local pharmacy to use while traveling. It all depends on who you ask at the insurance company. It means getting your dr, local pharmacy and I surname involved, but is often doable.

Additionally, if you call and speak to customer service at the 90-day pharmacy, they may be able to send you an extra set of labels or labels on small bottles, or work it out with a local pharmacy that is in their network.

It takes asking, being polite, and doing it enough ahead of time.

Since we fly international mostly, our Rx is in the original containers, a copy of the info sheet in the carry-on.

Once in HKG security x-ray tech hit the panic button as 2-3 armed security, suddenly appeared around us.

We forgot to take Rug Rat's epi-pen out of his bag and the x-ray tech flagged that as a dangerous weapon :eek:

They made me take the offending weapon out, while I was telling them we have a doctor's note, Rx, etc. The Lt came out took one look at the epi-pen, at Rug Rat, patted him on the head and said something of a rebuke to the x-ray tech and everyone went back to their corners :cool:

Adding to the discussion: Some countries absolutely prohibit certain prescription drugs that are widely available elsewhere. About a year ago on this board, a family had booked a cruise involving entry to a Middle East country. One of their kids needed to bring a prescription drug on the blacklist and asked for suggestions for a "work-around"...it appeared there was none. The TA had booked the trip without knowing or checking, and a lot of the cost was non-refundable. AFAIK, they never posted the outcome. I'm too lazy to look up the thread.

So, be sure your Rx drugs are not absolutely prohibited in countries you plan to visit, *before* booking a a trip. Fortunately it's rather uncommon but can happen.

Always carry your prescribed medications in their original labeled container. I use Restasis as well and place the vials in a baggy along with the original label. I have never had a problem, but it only takes a few minutes to place your prescribed medication in your carry on bag. To replace medication when away from home is a hassle- to explain to a customs agent why you are carrying unlabeled medication can also be a hassle. Save yourself some trouble- pack them in original containers, (except the Restasis), and have a nice trip.:D:);)

• 1 month later...

After doing some researching I am still not sure as I do not fly alot. I will be keeping my 7 different pills in their original containers with the prescription label on and put in a gallon bag. My three injectables need to be kept cool and I plan on buying one of those carrying cases just for medications that need to be refrigerated.

My question is: Since these will be in my carry on bag, will it be necessary to pull these out while going through TSA inspection or should I just let them know I have injectable medicine in my bag?:confused: My flight is from Phoenix to LAX.

Recommend to at least keep everything possible in a large ziploc and put it in the tray. If they want to inspect it closer they'll tell you to take it out of the ziploc. Keep a copy of a doctor's letter in the ziplock.

As I mentioned above, we forgot to take Rug Rat's epi-pen out of the backpack and had armed security surround us, granted it happened in another country, but...:cool:

I've flown through half a dozen foreign airports with an Epi-Pen in my carry-on and no one has ever said a word about it. Seriously people, airport security sees Epi-Pens, insulin, asthma inhalers, Cpap machines, etc. all day every day. They know what they are. Stop making such a big deal about it, especially if you are flying domestic.

Domestic flights--unless you are carrying 1000 pills they will not look twice. They don't care. Drug enforcement is not their mission. I promise you. They will not care. They will not look twice. They will not want to see anything unless it's attached to a power cord, and even then they just want to have you put it into the bin so they can scan it. I have over 500,000 miles flown since September 11th, and I have NEVER EVER EVER had anyone give a second look to any pills, Epi-Pen, or inhaler that I've had in my carry on. EVER.

Ducklite is absolutely correct. TSA has no interest in your medications. Neither do security personnel in most foreign countries. I have never had any airport security in any country give any of my family's prescription meds not in original bottles a second glance. Yes, there are a few countries where they do care, but not many.

I've flown through half a dozen foreign airports with an Epi-Pen in my carry-on and no one has ever said a word about it. Seriously people, airport security sees Epi-Pens, insulin, asthma inhalers, Cpap machines, etc. all day every day. They know what they are. Stop making such a big deal about it, especially if you are flying domestic.

Domestic flights--unless you are carrying 1000 pills they will not look twice. They don't care. Drug enforcement is not their mission. I promise you. They will not care. They will not look twice. They will not want to see anything unless it's attached to a power cord, and even then they just want to have you put it into the bin so they can scan it. I have over 500,000 miles flown since September 11th, and I have NEVER EVER EVER had anyone give a second look to any pills, Epi-Pen, or inhaler that I've had in my carry on. EVER.

Actually, in November I had my (2) epi pens in the side pouch of my carry-one (handy) and went through several airports during a trip from USA to Asia. In Hong Kong I was made to take it out of the bag and out of the box and fill out some paperwork on it! It was in the original box with the prescription on it. And when I explained what it was and pointed out the prescription, they opened the box and asked me what the 'practice' one was for. Some special guy came over and detained me right after my stuff went through the scanner.

So things do happen, sometimes odd things and infrequently.

I have had 'issues' with Epi-pens going into Japan (or changing planes in Japan when you have to go through security). Yes, the questions do come, but I've always been able to keep them with me.

Sudafed, however, it banned in many countries including Japan so I've given up traveling with it.

I have everything in a large Zippy bag and put it into a bin. Why start up issues with the TSA?

Some folks do post that it not the business of the TSA to ask about drugs, but they can and do.

US Customs (and the Customs of other countries) can make you miserable for carrying unlabeled drugs of any sort.

The "security" drones in Madrid are almost as bad as Heathrow. Once they told me I had to put my fish oil capsules (non-prescription) through in my Freedom baggie because they were liquids. Yeah, whatever. Another time they didn't see where my husband's name was printed on the prescription label on his cough medicine and started to rip the label off to see if they could find it under the label. Fortunately, my husband was able to stop them and point out where his name was printed.

Other than Madrid, though, I've taken piles of vitamins and supplements on flights in my carry-on (including international) without a problem. I've got a short business trip to London coming up next week and hope I don't have to bring all those bottles with me. If I miss my pills for a few days, I'll be OK.

Archived