Absent Parent Letter

emkjay_24

This might be a silly question, but I know I need a permission letter from my daughter's dad for me to take her on the cruise. But my questions is.. my husband's first wife is deceased.. does he need an absent parent letter as well, or does he need to provide a death certificate? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Many questions here. How old is the daughter? Dad is not going? Are you divorced from Dad? This is your child, or a child by adoption, or by marriage? Sorry about the personal questions, but the info is important.

Generally if only one parent is going, you are leaving the country, and the child is under 18, proof that the non-traveling parent approves of the child leaving the country is required. This is particularly important in joint custody divorce situations.

Have you asked the cruise line?

No offense on the personal questions, lol! My daughter is 15 and she is from a previous marriage, so no, dad isn't going as we are divorced. I already have an absent parent letter giving me permission to take her. My concern is my current husband's 3 kids (10,11,16) and their mother being deceased.. does he need to provide a death certificate for his kids or what? No, I haven't called the cruise line yet, but that's my next option.. Thought I would start here.

Mt daughter, her new husband and I took my 12 year old grandaughter along, and her father is deceased. My daughter is the mother of this child. Just in case we took everything, death certificate, notorized letter of permission stating the new husband was the stepfather, got her a State issued picture ID and her school ID. Birth certificate. We were fine getting on board but on the return coming off they delayed us, asking her questions and they took a little away from us to ask her questions. I refused to let them take her to far away from me. Be prepared. It was not the cruise line but Homeland Security that delayed us.

No offense on the personal questions, lol! My daughter is 15 and she is from a previous marriage, so no, dad isn't going as we are divorced. I already have an absent parent letter giving me permission to take her. My concern is my current husband's 3 kids (10,11,16) and their mother being deceased.. does he need to provide a death certificate for his kids or what? No, I haven't called the cruise line yet, but that's my next option.. Thought I would start here.

Do the children have the same last name as your husband? If so, I wouldn't even give it a second thought. No one is going to question their relationship to you and your husband.

Best to still take a copy if their mother's death certificate. That will remove all doubt.

If you all have passports, you will probably experience fewer issues, since CBP will likely just look at all the passports together and assume you are the mother if you all have the same last name.

The 16yr old will get an adult passport, good for the next 10 years. The younger children will receive 5 year passports, but they are great for renewing to receive an adult passport once they are 16 or older.

The mother's death certificate will likely be required for the 10-11 year olds, since for a child that age both parents must sign. Your 15 year old must appear in person with both parents to get hers.

The passport does cost, but comes in really handy later on, since it proves identity and citizenship, which is needed for a state ID or driver's license and a job.

No, I haven't called the cruise line yet, but that's my next option.. Thought I would start here.

People always get this backwards.

Should start with the cruiseline first and then come to CC for the gazillion different views and answers. :D

I would think that if you have the death certificate for the mother and birth certificates for the 3 kids that show her as their mother ....you would be covered. But verify this with the cruise line.

The last name does not matter If the person taking the child has a different name they need documentation.

Which is why I asked. If the husband, who is going, has the same last name as the children, no one is going to question the family.

My husband's children have his last name as they are his biological children.. and since I'm married to him, I also have their name.

That's what I thought. You see, my feeling is that there is no way anyone would even have an inkling that you are not their mother, and since you all share the same last name, it would be positively ludicrous for some staff person to ask if the children belong to someone else. :)

Have a wonderful time!

Never talk to the cruiseline for matters such as these. The people on the phone have no clue.

Unless you have adopted the children, the Dad needs to bring along the mom's death certificate. If you are travelling with the kids, but not the dad, you need the mom's death certificate and a letter of permission from the Dad.

Immigration officials can question the child. If they ask the child who you are (and this is one of their favorite questions) , and the child answers "my stepmom" - and you don't have the right documentation, you can be in big *****.

Archived