Menu for Dinner Buffet

suzannebander

there is always a couple roast items, vegetables, vegetarian, indian, salads, rolls, desserts, cheeses. usual buffet food, there are some changes everyday, but generally stay the same. it is quite good and we will often have dinner there or grab a evening snack for our room. be sure to try the laugen rolls (pretzel rolls) they are fantastic.

The buffett is huge with many choices. Usually beef, pork, seafood, a pasta station, hamburger/hotdog station. Several types of veggies, salad bar. Things change a bit but the basics are usually there. We love the buffet and prefer to eat there over anywhere else as we would rather be doing other things than eating.

is there any way for me to get a general idea of the foods on the dinner buffet? how does the menu compare to main restaurants? how much, if any, does it vary from day to day?

thanks!

first-time cruiser

NCL 7-night Western Caribbean

March, 2013

As others said, the buffet is very large with a large and excellent variety. What ship will you be on?

is there any way for me to get a general idea of the foods on the dinner buffet? how does the menu compare to main restaurants? how much, if any, does it vary from day to day?

thanks!

first-time cruiser

NCL 7-night Western Caribbean

March, 2013

You don't mention what ship you'll be on but in my experience the main dining room generally offers better food than does the buffet. For a first time cruiser more than likely you'll enjoy the MDR experience more. The buffet while adequate is there if you need it and/or can't make the MDR for whatever reason.

Usually there is a good variety of food options in either venue. Several appetizers, salads, entrees, sides, and desserts each evening.

For the dinner buffet, you will also find both fish & chicken as entrees, and turkey on some days,. and, of course, 2 or 3 variety of pizza slices and 2 hot soup (usually same selection as offered in the MDR - must've cooked them in those huge stainless cooking drums) & also stir-fried Asian/Chinese dishes w. steamed rice.

We loved the salad bar but last month on the Gem, disappointed at the reduced selection or choices when we stopped in late (after eating an early & light MDR supper to catch the show in the theater). You will also find things like jello, pudding, ice cream and fresh whole fruits like apples & bananas, and canned fruits in syrup (sliced/diced) and cookies.

Availability & offering varied by season and local vendors supplying the ship - we noticed that few ribs & pork chops (grilled or marinated) were available for our late Fall sailing. Rest assured that you won't be hungry.

However, we do prefer the MDR (only do Specialty Dining when it's comp/covered by OBC or for special occassions, etc.) with the Flu Season arriving early this year and in full swing, and the risk of Norovirus - apparently a subtle surge in reported cases to the ship's medical center lately. And, the risks of cross-contamination & being exposed are higher and the ongoing debate about using hand sanitizers ("washy washy, happy happy ...) - and while we loved our cabin, being confined involuntary due to GI isn't our idea of enjoying the ship, YMMV - of course. :eek:

Happy planning for your cruise ;)

Although I have the impression the choice of items has decreased a bit the last few years, I still think the buffet is rather good in every way. I found the buffet on the Epic a bit disappointing compared to the Jewelclass ships. Maybe it is because this buffet area is so big that it has multiple stations serving the same which I did not notice at first glance. The piglet in me just thought "wow, so many choices, so much food". :cool:

Archived