Ten Awesome Days on Vision OTS! ~A Pictorial Review~

DarthGrady

Day 1: Out to sea

After checking in, we walked around the ship for a while. I met some fellow Cruise Critic members up on the pool deck, and then collected my napping wife for the muster drill. After quickly mustering (thanks for being brief Captain Lis) we went up topside to watch sail away. It was delayed a bit by a problem with the propulsion system. We eventually departed about twenty minutes late.

Sail away was followed by a nice dinner in the Aquarius Dining Room. Our serving team was top notch, Jinny from Dominica and Jay from the Philippines. I liked that traditional dining guests are now given a window of time to arrive at the dining room. The Seapass card still said 6 p.m., but the signage outside the dining room (and the Cruise Compass) gives a range of 5:45-6:30. We enjoyed that bit of flexibility.

Later in the evening we stopped by the Diamond Event in the Viking Crown Lounge. The waiters were friendly and kept our glasses full. They also set out a big spread of hors d'oeuvres for the December Celebration.

Day 2: @ Sea

After a long week at work we both needed some good sleep. We got it and then some. By the time we awoke it was nearly 11 am. I spent time in the Viking Crown Lounge reading Hunter Thompson. The weather had turned nasty, so poolside relaxation was out of the question. For some unknown reason the pool in the Solarium was drained and roped off.

We stopped by the main dining room for lunch. Anyone that's been cruising a while knows to avoid the buffet on sea days. Royal Caribbean does a great lunch in the main dining room with an excellent full-service salad bar.

After lunch we made our way up to the ship's fitness center. It takes up two levels at the back end of the ship. The spa below and the gymnasium/aerobics area above. I found the facilities a bit small, but adequate.

We attended the Cruise Critic pub crawl later in the afternoon. We had lots of fun occupying the various drinking establishments around the ship. I didn't win (congrats Brenda), but we met some great folks in the process.

This was the first formal evening and I was surprised to see how many dressed up for it. The dinner in the main dining room was very good, the filet of beef was tender and delicious. I was glad to see escargots back on the menu as well.

Later that night I stopped into the library, which becomes the cigar lounge after 9. With its low slung leather couches and pleasantly low lighting, it was a great place to enjoy a stogie. Much better than the windy open deck offered on the Allure of the Seas. Unfortunately cigar lounges are fast becoming relics of the past as more and more Americans choose to kill themselves with other vices instead of tobacco. I found it amusing when folks stuck their head into the lounge each night and recoiled in horror upon the discovery of people smoking. Apparently the “Cigar Aficionados” sign outside the door and listing in the Compass wasn’t enough notification.

232323232%7Ffp43866%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D376%3A%3C36%3B%3C6326nu0mrj

Day 3: Still @ Sea

Our second sea day started around noonish, with a trip to the gym. We followed it up with lunch in the dining room. Later we attended the Cruise Critic slot pull, although we were only spectators. The rest of the afternoon was spent reading out on the boat deck; a calm place blessedly free of the ever present Christmas and calypso (or the dreaded Calypso-Christmas) music.

We stopped into the Crown and Anchor reception before dinner, and then the Diamond Lounge for post-dinner libations. I finished the night in the cigar lounge with a nice glass of tawny port, a good stogie and interesting conversation.

Welcome Back!!!!

I was so excited to see another review from you! Your photo essays/reviews are some of my favorites here on Cruise Critic. Because of your photos and comments on the Poesia, we felt comfortable and confident booking the cruise for the upcoming Holistic Cruise in March.

We, (my partner and I), feel the same way as you about CCL. I read your comments on the CCL board about switching to a line which appreciates your business, and we feel the same way. We cruised many times on Royal and Celebrity, but fell back into Carnival for the Caribbean. With so many cutbacks and the slow demise of the Past Passenger Program on CCL, we are looking to going back to RCL for our cruises to the Caribbean.

Your review of the Allure almost has us convinced to try One of the "Giants". Right now, because of your love of the Freedom, we are seriously considering that ship for our annual Fall cruise.

Please keep up the excellent reviews. They are truly appreciated!!!!

We were on that Vision cruise as well and the pictures are wonderful. I too took pictures of the various areas of the ship but these are much better.

I'll echo the comments regarding the Showboat lounge (headed for Chop's) and the overall appearance of the Vision. We like the glass open areas of the Vision and Radiance classes that seem to all be made into 'revenue producing space' in the newer ships and through the 'revitalization program'. Can't blame Royal for doing it, however. This ship is in great shape we thought and nicely decorated for the Holidays. The music did get to be bothersome and my daughter has threatened me with bodily harm if I start to hum 'Frosty the Snowman'.

John

The Ship:

As a ship buff, I always relish the chance to explore a new one. I enjoy it even more when it's a totally new class. I had never been on a Vision Class ship, so I was eager to tour it

Good, I always enjoy your reviews, but I can enjoy this one from this common view point. Not sure when I'll schedule my first Vision class.

Welcome Back!!!!

I was so excited to see another review from you! Your photo essays/reviews are some of my favorites here on Cruise Critic. Because of your photos and comments on the Poesia, we felt comfortable and confident booking the cruise for the upcoming Holistic Cruise in March.

We, (my partner and I), feel the same way as you about CCL. I read your comments on the CCL board about switching to a line which appreciates your business, and we feel the same way. We cruised many times on Royal and Celebrity, but fell back into Carnival for the Caribbean. With so many cutbacks and the slow demise of the Past Passenger Program on CCL, we are looking to going back to RCL for our cruises to the Caribbean.

Your review of the Allure almost has us convinced to try One of the "Giants". Right now, because of your love of the Freedom, we are seriously considering that ship for our annual Fall cruise.

Please keep up the excellent reviews. They are truly appreciated!!!!

Wow, thanks very much for this! I am glad that you enjoy my reviews. :)

You really can't go wrong with Freedom or Allure. Yes they are mega-ships, but there are still quiet little getaways that make them seem cozy. Have good travels, whichever you pick.

Glad to know I'm not the only one that does this. I do put it away for the rest of the cruise shortly after. :D

You're in good company then. :D

I'm certain that everyone around me, including my wife, thought I was a complete nerd. Which I am, so I suppose it was apropos. ;)

You are a blessing!!!! Lol. Seriously i really enjoy your review and it's done so well.. I think R.C.C.L should hire you to help and improve their website..

We will board the vision on the 25th of january and we can not wait..

Getting another 10inches of snow over here today on top of the 3feet we got within the last 10 days!!!!!!!

The joy of living in central Quebec i guess..

I stay near my computer and can't wait for more from you...

Keep it coming and thanks a lot again.

Awesome photos and review! The decorations are glorious, especially the marvelous little gingerbread houses. We were on Liberty the same time as you were on Vision. Both ships had beautiful holiday decor, but I think Vision has the edge for fabulous. I love your wife's adorable mini-tree too.

I am a die hard mega-ship gal and probably couldn't take ten days on a Vision Class ship. We did do a week on Grandeur once, but I missed the bells and whistles of the mega ships.

Your photos show Vision to be very well maintained, at least inside.

Thanks for taking so much time to present your photo review for our enjoyment. Happy New Year, too.