Ruby wi-fi question

SCFCRUISER

Thanks for the responses. I guess she will have to read her book while on board !! We know there is a hot spot at the beach along the board walk in Philipsburg & hopefully a hot spot at the Best Western bar area at Emerald Beach in St. Thomas!!

Steve

Thanks for the responses. I guess she will have to read her book while on board !! We know there is a hot spot at the beach along the board walk in Philipsburg & hopefully a hot spot at the Best Western bar area at Emerald Beach in St. Thomas!!

Steve

There are lots of hot spots....the crew all know where they are....just follow the crew with laptops:D

Unless you need Wifi to surf the Internet or read/write email, there's no need for WiFi with an e-reader. Just load the books before leaving home. I don't know about the Nook but the Kindle and any device with a Kindle app can go to several sources for free books, often 50-100/day. I've discovered several authors I wouldn't have read otherwise. Also, check your local library. Most libraries now make digital loans available for the Kindle, Nook, etc.

I agree -- just load up with books before you leave. I have a Kobo [a Canadian e-reader similar to a Kindle] and I can load 10 books from our local library to read while travelling. I have found many new authors through e-books from the library - since I usually go online just before travelling and take books that are immediately available. I also take advantage of sales through online suppliers-- lots of books are available for under $5 each -- you can really load up your e-reader this way. Finally, there are also lots of free e-books available -- Anyway, all this to say there is no need for wifi with an e-reader. I'm taking lots of e-books with me on the Ruby in February -- and I bet I won't read more than 2 or 3 -- as I'll be too busy not shovelling snow!! :D

Thanks again for the responses. I guess I should have been a little more clear on my original post. We have books loaded, we just weren't sure if we needed wi-fi to read them on board. We go on vacation to get away from the internet & emails, we do enough of that at work!:):)

Sounds like we are good to go!!

Steve

Thanks again for the responses. I guess I should have been a little more clear on my original post. We have books loaded, we just weren't sure if we needed wi-fi to read them on board.

No. Once loaded, they can be read anywhere without WIFI needed.

Don't forget to bring your recharging cords.

Not sure about the Nook, but Kindle has a spot on the menu where you turn the wifi on and off, so make sure the wifi is turned off. (you would have to log in anyway so that would be a warning if her wifi is left on accidentally, but once you log into a network once on Kindle it automatically finds that network.)

Make sure you do two things...update it via a wi fi connection before you leave.

Make sure the books you bought are already downloaded before you leave.

Wait three- fully charge it.

Four- once you leave a free wi fi area, turn off the wifi o prevent faster battery drain.

I forgot to turn my nook on in the airport to dl a book I wanted to read on the plane...whoops!! Was too busy with travel prep to remember to turn it on, but it WAS fully charged.

I have 399 books on my nook tablet, and games.

On Facebook, the nook page lists "Free Fridays" selection. I just decded to read last Friday's Executive Privilege. Good easy read.

I also have the original nook which connects for shopping bn.com via 3g, but that s basically only good in US.

Bernadette

Archived