Another NYC Hotel Thread

noche_caliente

We are leaving from NYC on 6/8 and are looking for hotel rooms on both ends. I need to stay under $200/night including taxes. We'd like to stay 6/6 and 6/7, and again 6/15. We are a family of 4 with 2 kids (2 and 8), so we will need 2 beds. I would love something that is fairly close to the I've seen Twickenham and njhorseman offer great advice to other cruisers, so I am hoping you can help me as well.

Thanks so much in advance for any input you all can offer!

I appreciate the compliment. Unfortunately, finding inexpensive hotels is not my strength. It's often very difficult to find anything decent in Manhattan for $200 and under. Perhaps 138east can help you. If you have any questions about the NY City area in general or about transportation and the like I'll be happy to pitch in.

Best of luck.

Hotwire could be your friend. For June 6 and 7 I am seeing a 3* midtown central hotel for $179 which could be the Holiday Inn on 57th St. It has the pool amenity.

June 15 is more difficult. There's a 2.5* hotel with an 80% approval rating and free breakfast in Chelsea for $160 which could be the Best Western Convention Center. Aa.com also has the 3* Marriott Downtown for $219 (also prepay). This location would give you the chance to explore the downtown area post cruise and do midtown precruise. This hotel is located next to the World Trade Center site.

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble finding rooms to fit in our budget. Does anyone know more about the price match that Twickenham posts about? I saw a couple of threads about it, but I'm still not really clear on how it works.

Thanks again!

It always sounds more complicated when I try and write it out than it really is. It’s very simple: if you find a price that is lower than the lowest publicly available rate on Marriott’s official website (i.e., not an AAA or senior’s rate), they will match the rate, and take an additional 25% off. The official policy can be found here: http://www.marriott.com/hotel-prices/travel.mi. I have suggested a couple of my fav comparison websites here - AA.com and mybowlingvacation.com - but really most booking websites can work, and you can search using comparison websites such as Kayak and Trivago.

Most hotel chains have similar policy – indeed, I’ve also recently gotten claims accepted for both a Sheraton property and an Intercontinental. The IC policy is both more generous and more pernickety – lots more conditions than most policies, BUT the reward is that they give you your first night FREE. I must say I enjoyed my free night at the IC in Rome immensely...

Here's one of Twickenham's threads. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30308190&postcount=8

This can be work for New York because there are many Marriott properties to evaluate. Basically you search the various discount sites to find a property that will fit in your budget if you took 25% off the price. Certain offers like prepaid rooms and vouchers are excluded. Then you do a cancellable booking with Marriott and submit an LNF request within 24 hours.

Location is great. Reviews are good, but lots of comments about the very small rooms. what are you paying?

Rates are 294.00 per night + taxes, totaling $679.09

I have been reading reviews, and going back and forth with this. I am thinking of changing to the Holiday Inn Express, Times Square. I realize the location is not as ideal as The Jewel, however, the price difference is over $150.00 for the two nights, plus breakfast is included. Reviews on cleanliness of the rooms is good, and that is most important to me. My husband and I are in good shape and do not mind walking. Will be sure to have comfortable shoes!!! Any money we can save will be helpful. When you add it all up, airfare, cruise fare, excursions, transportation to and from airport, etc. it has my head spinning!!!

What do you think about this change idea?

If it is the location that is worrying you, don't worry.:) You are actually a closer walk to the Empire State Building and Times Square. The walk to Rockefeller Center is very doable.

Rates are 294.00 per night + taxes, totaling $679.09

I have been reading reviews, and going back and forth with this. I am thinking of changing to the Holiday Inn Express, Times Square. I realize the location is not as ideal as The Jewel, however, the price difference is over $150.00 for the two nights, plus breakfast is included. Reviews on cleanliness of the rooms is good, and that is most important to me. My husband and I are in good shape and do not mind walking. Will be sure to have comfortable shoes!!! Any money we can save will be helpful. When you add it all up, airfare, cruise fare, excursions, transportation to and from airport, etc. it has my head spinning!!!

What do you think about this change idea?

Back again... I found the Mariott Downtown with a Guest room, 2 double for 279 (weekend rate) on the marriott site. Through AA they have Room type: Standard

Room description 2 Beds fkr 438.62 for the two nights, which is 219 per night. So, I should be able to book that and end up with a rate of 164, correct?

Thanks again! Sorry to be so needy :(

The Marriott Downtown is not within walking distance to the the major tourist attractions, but it you don't mind taking the subway, go for it.

Back again... I found the Mariott Downtown with a Guest room, 2 double for 279 (weekend rate) on the marriott site. Through AA they have Room type: Standard

Room description 2 Beds fkr 438.62 for the two nights, which is 219 per night. So, I should be able to book that and end up with a rate of 164, correct?

Thanks again! Sorry to be so needy :(

It depends what the OP considers major tourist attractions. The Marriott Downtown is right by the World Trade Center and within walking distance of the Statue of Liberty. As I said before, wherever you stay in NYC you are always going to have to get somewhere else. The subway lines in downtown NY are concentrated within a few blocks and it's easy to get a train that will take you anywhere you want to go.

Correct. As long as the room description and cancellation terms are generally the same (i.e. cancellable vs. advanced payment), you should be good to go. The only caveat I would add is that I know the Marriott Downtown got hit by Hurricane Sandy last fall, and was operating with reduced services (the restaurant was a total loss, I believe), but I would assume it would be mostly back to normal by June.

It depends what the OP considers major tourist attractions. The Marriott Downtown is right by the World Trade Center and within walking distance of the Statue of Liberty. As I said before, wherever you stay in NYC you are always going to have to get somewhere else. The subway lines in downtown NY are concentrated within a few blocks and it's easy to get a train that will take you anywhere you want to go.

Man, you must have a very high opinion of the OP if you think they can walk to the Statue of Liberty from anywhere in Manhattan! :)

True. But she was talking about Rockefeller Center and Times Square. I just wanted her to know that the "downtown" property is no where near there. I would recommend the HoHo bus for first time visitors especially those who are not used to large urban environments. jmo

We have stayed in Radio City Apartments a couple times. Depending on the accomodations, they start at $215 up. You are right around the corner from "the city lights". We walked from one end to the other across the Manhatten. Had to walk to the cruise terminal after we forgot one suitcase.

Thanks for the help everyone. We are booked at the downtown Marriott pre-cruise. I still need to find somewhere for the post-cruise stay. The other big problem is going to be parking. I'm not adverse to taking the subway, and in fact think my son will LOVE it, and I'm fine with walking. We aren't complete strangers to the city, but haven't been since Thanksgiving, 2001. Does anyone have suggestions on where we can leave the car for those first two nights? The Marriott has $55 valet parking, but that seems steep. On the other hand, DH had a car stolen from a hotel parking lot in Rockaway, so I'm rather paranoid about parking.

Thanks again everyone - I love all of your advice!

Cut me a break, please!

Sorry. I guess I've just read too many of those "crazy things tourists say" articles, and was worried someone would think you could walk to the Statue of Liberty from anywhere.

Hey, at least I put a smilie, so you knew I wasn't really picking on you! :)

Archived