Oh, No! Not another Norovirus thread!!!

arzz

Quite an interesting read. Almost TMI, :eek: but the more we sharpen our awareness with facts the more we can be prepared to keep it literally at arms length. And not think our concerns stop at the hand-sanitizer stations.

Thanks and this article also underscores the new more disposable and cleansable HAL bags may well be part of a comprehensive HAL noro-virus prevention strategy that considers all possible links in the potential infection chain.

Thanks and this article also underscores the new more disposable and cleansable HAL bags may well be part of a comprehensive HAL noro-virus prevention strategy that considers all possible links in the potential infection chain.

I doubt that the bags HAL gives out has been a major factor in spreading noro on a ship. The bags are new when you get them on the ship and they don't get passed around between passengers - and don't really have enough time to get dirty on a typical 7-day cruise.

The old cloth bags are washable too. :)

On TV this morning they were talking about flu outbreaks and that it has been rather quiet in New York City for flu so far this winter. They also mentioned that there appears to be more cases of noro happening now compared to the flu.

I've had the Norovirus - ug. Visiting my DH's grandmother before they had quarantined her assisted living facility. The breakout had just happened, and they hadn't gotten the news out yet. Sadly, her younger son (my FiL's brother) ended up dying from pneumonia caused by particles of vomit getting into his lungs. Dh's grandmother was very ill, but came out of it ok. This was at Christmas, Almost everyone in the family got sick. I came down with it after I helped my kids get through it.

Anyway, three days of heck.

Scary - but good info. We're leaving for a cruise tomorrow, and have a long airplane ride as well as the actual cruise.... makes me want to wear latex gloves and a mask!

I think that the prevalent hand sanitizer stations provide too much comfort and that it is only a veneer of "protection". I've read that the primary ingredient in that product - alcohol - does nothing with regard to noro; that bleach is what is required. There is supposed to be a new sanitizer product with chlorine bleach available specifically to address the noro issues.

I've had the Norovirus - ug. Visiting my DH's grandmother before they had quarantined her assisted living facility. The breakout had just happened, and they hadn't gotten the news out yet. Sadly, her younger son (my FiL's brother) ended up dying from pneumonia caused by particles of vomit getting into his lungs. Dh's grandmother was very ill, but came out of it ok. This was at Christmas, Almost everyone in the family got sick. I came down with it after I helped my kids get through it.

Anyway, three days of heck.

Scary - but good info. We're leaving for a cruise tomorrow, and have a long airplane ride as well as the actual cruise.... makes me want to wear latex gloves and a mask!

I know you were (at least partially) kidding about the mask and latex gloves but truthfully, if it makes you feel better, do it. Who cares what anyone thinks. I always have masks in my carryon bag and DH and I have decided if we are seated beside one of the hacking coughers who spread their germs all around, we will put on the masks. Sorry if the cougher feels offended but I'm offended when someone so ill gets on an airplane with no regard for anyone else's health.

I wipe the arm rests and tray tables wit chlorox wipes and anyone who thinks me a germophobe...... that's fine. I'd rather be healthy and thought a nut than sick and have our vacation ruined. I have noticed there are usually a few folks in our area who see me with the disinfectant wipes and I KNOW they want to ask if I have a spare they could use. :D

Good luck staying healthy in your travel.

I think that the prevalent hand sanitizer stations provide too much comfort and that it is only a veneer of "protection".

I couldn't agree with you more. The only good thing I have found with the stations is that they do prompt me to wash my hands more often---if I am forced to use one, I hurry to a sink to wash it off.

I've read that the primary ingredient in that product - alcohol - does nothing with regard to noro; that bleach is what is required. There is supposed to be a new sanitizer product with chlorine bleach available specifically to address the noro issues.

Willingly put bleach on my hands? :eek: That'll be the day. :rolleyes:

I am somewhat allergic to chlorine -- so bleach on my hands -- NO WAY!

But wash, wash, wash and I also stay away from public bathrooms if I can avoid them while on board.

There must be some other antivirals out there.

Considering the facts in the article coupled with the few passengers who are always there who do not inform the cruise line of their illness - it is amazing that the ships ever get past this. It is a testament to the dedication of the HAL staff!

I doubt that the bags HAL gives out has been a major factor in spreading noro on a ship. The bags are new when you get them on the ship and they don't get passed around between passengers - and don't really have enough time to get dirty on a typical 7-day cruise.

The old cloth bags are washable too. :)

The new bags are much faster to wash and dry than the old canvas ones. Picking up items ashore can bring back bugs in the bag, and not sure the "typical cruise" is only 7 days long. The linked article shows indeed exactly how a reusable bag was indeed the culprit just among shared room members. I apprecaite HAL is taking all precautions, including more sanitary, reusable and washable bags.

Am I the only one freaked out about the bag of food... STORED IN THE BATHROOM? Seriously? :eek:

I always thought I was a little germ-o-phobic in that, if I have food in an airport, and bring the (sealed) bag on a visit to the restroom, I'm then too grossed out to consume it, and have to throw the food away. It turns out I'm not too far off the mark, in terms of how to avoid noro! :eek:

Interesting, scary article! Thanks for the link.

I think that the prevalent hand sanitizer stations provide too much comfort and that it is only a veneer of "protection". I've read that the primary ingredient in that product - alcohol - does nothing with regard to noro; that bleach is what is required. There is supposed to be a new sanitizer product with chlorine bleach available specifically to address the noro issues.

The CDC has excellent travelers health info on their website that sorts out the myths and the realities. Bottom line keeps saying the same things: wash your hands and keep your fingers out of your mouth nose and eyes.

I saw my doctor yesterday and asked him about the noro and how to avoid it as on Sunday I am sailing on a ship that has had a noro outbreak on this current sailing. He thinks that one of the reasons so many people are getting the virus is because they think the sanitizers protect them and they don't spend enough time actually washing their hands with soap. He told me that he has never caught a virus from any of his sick patients as he washes his hands with soap after every patient he sees. I wash my hands thoroughly every time I return to my cabin and shortly before I eat. So far, so good. As for the bleach, no thanks.

It only takes a few parts per million for bleach to be sanitizing. I don't think there is much to worry about; but it sounds like there is a lot to gain because the alcohol or quaternium ammonia based sanitizers just don't cover enough spectrum of the bad bugs.

CDC is really good about the latest on this topic.

Bleach applied directly to hands? :eek:

No, not me. Won't happen.

That link only took me to bleach FREE sanitizers.

Bleach is my weapon of choice against poison ivy as well! And I do wash with straight bleach if I think I've gotten into a patch. Of course, I vigorously wash the bleach off, then wash off that soap!! Then wash again ... and moisturize!

We, like others have noted, are diligent about washing our hands with soap and hot water. Every time we enter our cabin, the first thing we do is wash our hands!

Knock on wood!!

Oops sorry about the "bleach" hand sanitizer link - was moving too fast there from google to link.

How about this for a website "frugal" approach to using bleach: (100% disclaimer here for benefit or effect)

QUOTE:

Household Bleach is the Best Virus Killer

Store-brand chlorine bleach can be used as a disinfectant by mixing 1/4-cup chlorine bleach with 1 gallon of cool water. --Ratio of 1:64 . Bleach has been found to be the best civilian sanitizer and is a very common base for antibiotic cleaners in Third World Countries because it is very, very cheap. To extrapolate this into a homemade hand sanitizer we can start with a bottle of inexpensive hand lotion and add bleach to it.

Bleach Based Hand Sanitizer

Dump the contents of a bottle of hand lotion into a mixing bowl, add bleach, mix well and return to the bottle. Be sure to mark the bottle "With Bleach Added: 1:64"

Bottle size --------- Amount of Bleach to Add

8 ounce --------------3/4 Teaspoon

16 ounce ------------1/4 ounce (1 1/2 Teaspoon)

32 ounce ------------1/2 ounce (1 Tablespoons)

Extra benefit: This small amount of bleach will leave your hands very clean and make your nails super white!

Some people are pretty allergic to chlorine bleach and they should go with the alcohol based sanitizer instead, but for sheer virus killing properties, bleach is always the best product for the job.

UNQUOTE

Very interesting article. The sense I get from it is simply the best we humans can hope for is good luck in not contracting a case. Humans have to depend on other humans acting in a specific way in order to prevent spreading the virus. Does anyone here who's been on a cruise ship, or perhaps taught in a school believe that 100 percent of the people, not including yourself, will comply with sanitary percautions in order to prevent the spread of the virus?????:confused: I don't think so. So, I'll just keep living and hope I don't catch the virus, and if I do, will have a typical case and it will run its course. I certainly won't blame the cruise industry for my illness.;)

The prevention message needs to have two parts:

1. Wash your hands

2. ***Don't touch your face*** (eyes, nose, mouth)

If everyone pictured themselves walking around with one of those huge plastic dog collars, this might make them think about how many times they just might be putting a re-contaminated finger where it can do the most harm. http://www.smartpakequine.com/comfy-cone-6008p.aspx?cm_mmc=Google-_-googlepla-_-TES-_-2109692184&source=pla&gclid=CPmlkcb6zLQCFaGPPAodDFAAhw

Plus, hand washing/sanitation needs to concentrate on the finger tips because that is how you carry the bugs into your own body. (Self-innoculate yourself)

Archived