First Time Viking River Cruisers and Others

johnrodriguez1

Hi All. Have found this interesting. We are going on Scenic Cruises in May from Amsterdam to Budapest. Had looked at Viking but had been suggested by some to try Scenic as now completely all inclusive for all excursions etc. Haven't seen any comments on Scenic and would love to hear from people.

We have been on one Scenic river cruise (Tulip Time) and really enjoyed it... #2 with Scenic (although #7 overall) is this September --> Budapest to Nuremberg. So, we are doing part of your itinerary.

One of the reasons, myself and others do not like all inclusives is that you have little down time to do your own thing. Yes you can skip the tours but you have really already paid for them, haven't you?

I didn't find Scenic's planned excursions any more "busy" than I did with other companies (Uniworld and AMA). All of the major players include some type of excursion that you have already paid for.... So skipping Scenic's excursions is no more of a waste than skipping the included excursions with any other company. The difference in the all inclusive is gratuities, mini-bar, etc. - and no optional excursions to pay for over and above the "all in" price.

Fran

Thanks Fran. That is what I was hoping to hear. I also agree about excursions and that all the other parts are included as well. Was more interested in what people thought of Scenic, its service, excursions, cabins etc. Was concerned as had seen very little in the way of comments or reviews on Scenic. Will keep checking back. Thanks.

I thought that Viking included a tour in each city. Wine, soft drinks at lunch and dinner. Would the only "all-inclusive" that Scenic offers be drinks not at meals? Trying to decide which River Cruiese line to take for a 2014 fall Amsterdam to Budapest.

I thought that Viking included a tour in each city. Wine' date=' soft drinks at lunch and dinner. Would the only "all-inclusive" that Scenic offers be drinks not at meals? Trying to decide which River Cruiese line to take for a 2014 fall Amsterdam to Budapest.[/quote']

There is an "open bar" - as well as a stocked mini-bar in your room. All gratuities are included - both on the boat, as well as for your daily excursions.

Scenic tends to offer 2 or 3 choices of excursions --> and there is no extra cost associated with any of them. Also - they do include all transfers on day of embarkation/disembarkation.

Tauck is also pretty all inclusive ... And Uniworld is moving in that direction for 2014 as well.

Fran

My wife and I are in the planning stages of booking a Viking river cruise. Do u guys suggest booking the new longboats?

The longboats (Viking) hold darn near the most passengers of any of the riverboats. Before you go too far please check out other Rivercruiselines like Uniworld, AMA, Avalon to name a few.... Compare passenger loads! All the companies are launching new boats and "longboats" as Vikings calls them is just another name for a new boat that happens to carry many more passengers than some of the other companies.

Don't get me wrong many folks really like Viking but make sure you have checked the other river players out!

My wife and I are in the planning stages of booking a Viking river cruise. Do u guys suggest booking the new longboats?

We took our first river cruise on Viking last April and were hooked on river cruising. We were on the Idun, one of the first 'longships'. It was a beautiful ship, with lovely public rooms. The cabins, though on the smaller side, had very nice amenities, with very comfy beds, a large shower, lots of large, fluffy towels and heated floors. The cabin also had a large flat screen TV mounted on the wall opposite the bed. There were plenty of 100v outlets for appliances, and also a mini-fridge. There was a sun deck on the top deck with nice teak tables and chairs and loungers, as well as some deck games and a really lovely herb garden the chefs used for meals. There was also the Aquavit Terrace outside the lounge for al fresco dining at lunch.

If you are thinking of booking a longship, I would book one of the more recently launched ships. There were a few issues with the first ships, such as the Idun, that I understand have been corrected with the newer ships. For example, the volume of noise in the dining room was very loud. All tables are either 6 or 8 and you could hear the person on either side of you or maybe the one directly across from you, but that was about it, due to all the other conversations going on at the same time, and lack of soundproofing in the room. I've read that, on the new longships, that is no longer an issue.

We have booked the Rinda for 2014.

We are thinking of booking the Viking Chateaux, Rivers, and Wine tour in July 2014. This will be our first river cruise. It is on one of the new long boats. It does not look like you spend that much time traveling on the rivers as the destinations are close to each other. Because of that we are thinking of just booking a room without a balcony because of the limited time we will be spending in the cabin. Thoughts?

Any other wine oriented cruises you would recommend?

Also many folks seem to have issues with Viking. What is it that make the other lines better?

Thanks.

I hope they aren't because we have booked our first river cruise on Viking's Cities of Light cruise from Prague to Paris in August.

Those of you still thinking about it may find it hard to get a booking on the popular routes in 2013 now. Our cruise has been sold out since January.

We are thinking of booking the Viking Chateaux, Rivers, and Wine tour in July 2014. This will be our first river cruise. It is on one of the new long boats. It does not look like you spend that much time traveling on the rivers as the destinations are close to each other. Because of that we are thinking of just booking a room without a balcony because of the limited time we will be spending in the cabin. Thoughts?

Also many folks seem to have issues with Viking. What is it that make the other lines better?

Thanks.

In July it is really hot and you may really wish you had a "French Balcony" door to open, especially if the AC is just not working well.

JMHO :)

After many big boat cruises (usually Celebrity) we took our first River Cruise last October and fell in love with Viking and RCing!

We took Portraits of Southern France (Saone & Rhone rivers) mainly because DH is SO interested in wine and we wanted to go to Chateaunuef du Pape. I thought it a fabulous trip and there were 3 wine tastings/vineyards we experiences! Would highly recommend it!

When Viking announced Bordeaux for 2014 (Chateaux, Rivers and Wine) we booked fast for an October trip - also give us another "excuse" for Paris!!

Many people have their favorite line - we chose Viking for our first RC experience and liked them so have booked more with them. Last October the ship was one of the oldest they have - needed for the low bridges on thise rivers - next trip this December is a longboat - I hope we'll also enjoy that one!! My only advice is choose a trip and go with an open mind - that's what I did last October and enjoyed the experience enough to book again and even try a different type of ship.

As for a cabin choice - there were no balconies of any kind on the last ship. But in December we booked a French balcony thibnking we'd like chance to open it up for some air if its not too cold. For October 2014 we booked a balcony hoping it'd be nice enough to sit outside at times. Double check if the window in your room choice can be opened - Nana541 has a good point about wanting/needing fresh air!

We have a similar concern about age groups. We are in our early 50's and are experienced ocean cruisers. Celebrity being our favorite. I have no experience with river cruising.

We are rather active and would prefer a more active experience. Any suggestions would certainly be appreciated.

Don:confused:

We are in our late 50's and had the same concern. We were very surprised to find a good percentage of people our age or younger. The ones that were older were very active. We are very active people but enjoyed the tours Viking gave as they were at a good pace and then we had the afternoon to explore at our own rate. It probably varies from week to week but we even had a couple of families with children on ours. (of course the younger ones looked a little bored)

I thought that was what a French Balcony might be. I don't think I would mind that as long as the door opened.

quote]

We booked a French balcony for our cruise and it was the perfect choice. The doorways were wide enough for the two of us and I don't think we would have enjoyed it any more if we could have taken 2 steps outside. Sometimes we just sat on the bed and looked out the window. Since one whole wall is window/door the views are amazing. We wouldn't have been as happy with a room with just a window and glad we didn't spend the extra for a balcony.

Thanks.

We just got back from Viking's Portraits of Southern France tour and are totally hooked on river cruising. Our cruise was everything we expected and more and we loved France so much we are thinking of doing this Bordeaux cruise you are considering as our next trip. According to a Viking rep we spoke to on our cruise, the Bordeaux cruise will focus on the wines and cuisine of the region and not so much on the travel. This cruise will feature a sommelier and sounds like it will be a tremendous trip. I wouldn't think that a stateroom with a balcony would be worth it on this trip (actually I'm not sure it would be worth it on any trip as we spend the majority of our time either on the top deck, in the lounge, or off the boat taking a tour).

We've just booked an Avalon trip through Germany and I've started perusing this board. I see a lot of folk travel Viking and have heard many good things, but the Avalon tour we picked had a stop that was important to me......

BUT after reading many threads, it looks like Viking is the river line of choice. I'm not seeing a lot of posts about the other lines. Have we made a huge mistake???:o

I'm new to river cruising myself -- going on my first one June 2014 on AMA. However, I have done a lot of research and don't think you've made a mistake. For the most part, I have not heard many negative comments about any of the lines -- it just comes down to the itineary and personal style. I just think that Viking has more ships and I beleive they generally cost less.

CarolSS ~ our first cruise was last October on Viking (loved it!), we had a friend with us who had one previous cruiseon Avalon - she said the cruises were on a par with each other - the main difference the river and cities/towns (Danube vs Rhone). She said she enjoyed both and is sailing on Viking again with us in December.

You indicated that you made your choice because of itinerary - I think many do that and its important to see what you want!

Many - maybe most! - cruise lines begin giving discounts or perks after the first cruise and so "hook" repeat passengers! And many stay with a cruise line unless they have a horrible experience!

Have a great trip!!!

Huffy2k ~ WOW you sound just like me! Loved the Portraits trip last October and so booked the Bordeaux for next October (with the Christmas Markets between!!).

Seriously, when did you cruise?? Which ship!! was Kurt the CD - we had him and he was great but heard he was leaving after the 2012 season. Also was there a young woman, Nicole, at the reception desk?? She was our room steward in October but was excited since she was going to be promoted - I don't know if they keep staff on same ship.

When are you thinking of booking for 2014? DH wanted October but I'm not convinced its the best time of year - but also I didn't want the summer - soo.....

I agree there shouldn't be too much cruising involved - cities/towns are so close together. Should be very interesting!!!

For all those wine enthusiasts who'll be cruising in France, there's a great little book I read a few years ago that I'd highly recommend ~ Wine and War: the French, ****s and the Battle for France's Greateat Treasure. (Actually recommended by our daughter and one of the few books both my DH and I enjoyed!!!)

I wanted to go through Germany - plus (while I'm in town) wanted to see Neuschwanstein. Our trip includes that before we board the boat. I'd looked at other cruises thinking we'd just do it on our own, but was fearful as we don't speak German! More than anything that was my deciding factor. The boat is new - 2013, but we've done some ocean cruises on smaller and old ships that we enjoyed more than the newer ships.

I do feel better hearing that most are compirable. I know that Viking has a very strong presence as does Uniworld so I hesitated more than once going with Avalon, although reviews are good (you'll always have that smattering of folk who would complain if you waited on them hand a foot!)

Anyway, I'll be lurking about - looking for helpful hints and tips. Anything you wish to suggest is quite welcome!!

Hi Peg, we were very very impressed with Viking on our trip. We sailed from 3/24 - 3/31 with a 3 day post trip extension in Paris. We sailed from Avignon to Chalon sur Saone on the Viking Europe. Even though this ship was very clean and very nice (with no floral wallpaper to be found anywhere on board! ;) ), this will be the last year for this ship (and it's sister ship the Neptune). Both are being replaced next year with brand new ships.

Our CD was Valerie and it was her first cruise with Viking. She did a great job and will only get better as she gains more experience. I don't recall meeting a Nicole unfortunately.

I will post a review in a few days after I catch up on things here at work but my review will be 5 stars for sure!

As to when we would go back to France? We're not sure yet. I wouldn't go back this early in spring again as the weather is too unpredictable. Later in April or May would be great I think. I would stay away in the summer but would be interested in going back during harvest season in September/October.

The longboats (Viking) hold darn near the most passengers of any of the riverboats. Before you go too far please check out other Rivercruiselines like Uniworld, AMA, Avalon to name a few.... Compare passenger loads! All the companies are launching new boats and "longboats" as Vikings calls them is just another name for a new boat that happens to carry many more passengers than some of the other companies.

Don't get me wrong many folks really like Viking but make sure you have checked the other river players out!

We will check out all the different cruise lines before we decide on which cruise we take. As people mentioned, a lot will depend on our itinerary.

Hi Peg, we were very very impressed with Viking on our trip. We sailed from 3/24 - 3/31 with a 3 day post trip extension in Paris. We sailed from Avignon to Chalon sur Saone on the Viking Europe. Even though this ship was very clean and very nice (with no floral wallpaper to be found anywhere on board! ;) ), this will be the last year for this ship (and it's sister ship the Neptune). Both are being replaced next year with brand new ships.

Our CD was Valerie and it was her first cruise with Viking. She did a great job and will only get better as she gains more experience. I don't recall meeting a Nicole unfortunately.

I will post a review in a few days after I catch up on things here at work but my review will be 5 stars for sure!

As to when we would go back to France? We're not sure yet. I wouldn't go back this early in spring again as the weather is too unpredictable. Later in April or May would be great I think. I would stay away in the summer but would be interested in going back during harvest season in September/October.

Huffy and Peg,

Glad to hear good things about the Viking cruise to the South of France. I would love to hear more. I have been looking for the first part of April. Is there a greater chance of rain then?

KCcruisin07 ~ I think it always rains in France - and I'm NOT being negative!! We had rain in Paris in mid-October; cloudy weather on the cruise (and rain in Arles); post-cruise Minstral Winds in Avignon and rain 1 day out of 2 in Nice. I carefull watch the weater in Paris for about a month before the trip - rain almost every day!

I really think you have to check weather for the year, then find the best time for you to travel with your personal schedule, check rates, itinerary, etc. and then make a decision and live with it! Even if it means bringing umbrellas + rain gear! And don't let it ruin your trip!!!!

Last year we carefully plotted our first-ever trip to the Eiffel Tower - would be there at sunset and then splurge at dinner at Paul Chene's! (Even thought I uaually plan trip nothing compared to the time spent discussing this part of the trip!) And you can guss what happened! The day cloudy but not bad enough for DH to think about an umbrella! We came out of the metro to pouring rain - which continued for a few hours! Needless to say there was no sunset and I sat at dinner in soaking wet shoes even thought I did have an umbrella! But now we laugh at our wet adventure especially every time he uses his very expensive umbrella!!!

We had a fabulous time last year! We choose October since I'm now retired and can travel during the school year and we felt it would be less crowded and not too hot plus DH wanted to see the vineyards in the fall rather than spring. Now hoping that next year a little earlier will bring less rain!!

Huffy2k ~ we were on the Neptune last year - older ship but I enjoyed it! We did the cruise in the opposite direction. Passing the Europa while she came out of a lock we were waiting to enter was much fun!!!

I'll enjoy reading your review!

Archived