First Time Viking River Cruisers and Others

johnrodriguez1

CaroleSS ~ Neuschwanstein! - WOW!! I do eny you! We did a 2008 land trip in Germany and I SO wanted to see the castle but their special accomodations + visit was booked so I had to let it go!

Sure you made the right choice!!! Have a great trip!!!

Well Peg, I think you've just reaffirmed my faith in my choice! You are a gem!

We did our first cruise on Avalon Danube last September. I put some reports up at the time. I think choosing the correct itinerary is first as many people suggest. We loved Avalon but from the reports here most cruise companies have very happy customers. It is sometimes as little difference as bikes being available, cabins with an outside balcony or dates that suit. I couldn't see how anyone would not love the cruise we went on but there is always someone who has a complaint about something. I just stayed clear of them. :)

Slyve1 ~ you said it all!! Some people will never be happy and nit pick and find fault with everything! The best thing IS to stay away from them!!!!

I could have been totally negative about out trip last year - the cruise part didn't begin in the best way since our train broke down about half-way to Chalon where we were to meet the ship. On the platform we found about 25-30 other passengers all int he same situation! DH called the ship and, to our complete surprise, the Cruise Director actually called him back giving us detailed directions of what to do - big, big plus for Viking!!! First, it wasn't Viking's responsibility - except they wouldn't sell transfers from Paris. Second they did help!!! And the whole group of us bonded calling ourselves the "train people" - I think the others were almost jealous of us!!! [When we returned I gently complained to Viking about not being able to buy transers - others has the same problem - and received a generous future cruise discount - which we promptly used!]

It comes down to the old story - is the glass half empty or full!!!! Aline yourself with the positive people - life will be much better!!!

This is a great thread. My DH and I are loyall HAL cruisers, but we are looking forward to our first river cruise in a couple of years. I am planning on Viking from Basel to Amesterdam, with a couple of days pre-cruise on Lake Como and a couple of days after in Bruge. I am still teaching, so our trip will have to be over summer vacation. I think that booking as early in June as possible will be best, and wondered if the weather is usually terribly hot then. I know it will be crowded at that time of year, but we are easy cruisers and have always had a wonderful time no matter how bad the weather nor how crowded the streets.

V'sgirl, you have a great attitude! ;) We took our first river cruise with Viking last April for tulip time and had a wonderful time. We are booked for another cruise in June of '14. The wife of the couple we are traveling with is also a teacher,so her travel time is also limited by the school break. So, we have booked as early in June as possible to avoid the crowds,the heat and the possibility of low water levels; all the "negatives" I've read about for summer cruising. But, if we encounter any of those things, we will take them in stride, as we know we enjoy each others' company, we'll definitely enjoy the ship, and the rest is gravy. :)

We did our first river cruise with Viking a few years ago.Amsterdam to Vienna ..had a great time ..no complaints...although not sure i would like a bigger boat with more passangers....Did our second river cruise with Avalon last year..Did the Grand France 2 week cruise with an included night in Monaco..had an even better time ! Price of both cruise lines was comparable ( don't like Viking's phony two for one advertising) Paid extra this time for the floor to ceiling french balcony..loved it...we are booked to go with Avalon again next year Basil to Amsterdam..Have also heard good things about the other lines...the choices are multiple...find the itineary you like best for the time period you want to go. River cruiseing is great but wouldn't recomend it for small children. We don't do the mega ships any more..for ocean cruising we chose Windstar.( nothing compares with being under sail without the motor)

KCcruisin07 ~ I think it always rains in France - and I'm NOT being negative!! We had rain in Paris in mid-October; cloudy weather on the cruise (and rain in Arles); post-cruise Minstral Winds in Avignon and rain 1 day out of 2 in Nice. I carefull watch the weater in Paris for about a month before the trip - rain almost every day!

I really think you have to check weather for the year, then find the best time for you to travel with your personal schedule, check rates, itinerary, etc. and then make a decision and live with it! Even if it means bringing umbrellas + rain gear! And don't let it ruin your trip!!!!

Last year we carefully plotted our first-ever trip to the Eiffel Tower - would be there at sunset and then splurge at dinner at Paul Chene's! (Even thought I uaually plan trip nothing compared to the time spent discussing this part of the trip!) And you can guss what happened! The day cloudy but not bad enough for DH to think about an umbrella! We came out of the metro to pouring rain - which continued for a few hours! Needless to say there was no sunset and I sat at dinner in soaking wet shoes even thought I did have an umbrella! But now we laugh at our wet adventure especially every time he uses his very expensive umbrella!!!

We had a fabulous time last year! We choose October since I'm now retired and can travel during the school year and we felt it would be less crowded and not too hot plus DH wanted to see the vineyards in the fall rather than spring. Now hoping that next year a little earlier will bring less rain!!

Peg,

It sounds like there were a couple of hiccups along the way, but you didn't let them interfere with your fun. When we went on a Danube cruise in 2010, the weather was unseasonably cold, but we just had to roll along with it. At least the river wasn't too low.

It was nice that Viking rewarded your feedback with a discount, and I'm glad to hear that you didn't let it go to waste!:D

From what I am reading it sounds like Viking is a rapidly growing company with the launch of 10 ships in one day and plans to expand into the (ocean) cruise market. I hope it all goes well. The demand for rivercruises has been increasing rapidly.

KCcruisin07 ~ You're right about the hiccups - and they often happen - especially weather related one! (Didn't even mention my carefully planned picnic in the park that never happened because of rain! But we found a nice little neighborhood Bistro for lunch instead! - plus gives us another reason to return to Paris!!!)

I completely agree with Rick Steves about plan, plan, plan but be willing to throw if all away if something else comes up! (badly paraphased!) But it sounds like you've discovered you DO have to just roll with things you can't change!!

We enjoyed Viking last year - and hoping the new longship will not be so big that it changes the idea of "small" cruise - not sure what 50 more people will do! I'm not thrilled with the attitude of the CEO ~ but covered that on another thread. Reservations are made and I have no thought of changing them!!

And you're right about the demand of River Cruise rising - I think more and more people are looking for alternatives to big ocean ships and also new itineraries. Seeing the smaller towns of Europe via river (so no constant unpacking!) is fantastic!!

Excited!! Group of 6 girlfriends leaving Saturday for Amsterdam to board the Viking Helvetia for Amsterdam-Basel Rhine River cruise!! Will give report when we get home!

Wrap up warm. It looks as if it is going to be quite pleasant with some sunshine for the first week at least but only around 15 degrees in the day and down to 2 degrees at night.

We are considering a Russian River Cruise. Which cruise line gets the best reviews over all, Viking, Uniworld, Scenic or AMA? Which is the best buy? I very much value past experience. I know everyone is different and has different goals and values but is there an overall winner? THX

Hi Carole..I am also a Carole.....We did our first RB cruise a few years ago with Viking.....had a really good time..really nothing to complain about...Did the Grand France with Avalon last year...had an even better time! We also liked the french balcony a lot. See our reviews ..They are still there. We were so pleased we have booked with Avalon again next year Basel to Amsterdam....Viking turned us off with their 2 for 1 marketing ( their prices compared with the other lines "regular" prices and they wanted all the money a year in advance. Avlon was only 90 days...we also prefered their inineary . I don't think you can go wrong with any of the major RB companies. A really good cruise director can also make a difference...We had an absolutely fantastic one on Avalon ( Jean Lupe) but that is really the luck of the draw.

Hey Carole - meet Carole!!! :D:D Cruise Critic spanning the globe one cruiser at a time!

I will certianly look up your reviews....I'm interested in gleening anything/everything I can! What are the MUST sees and what are the meh. Years ago we did a 'do it yourself' longboat trip through Wales (we did all the driving, cooking onboard, etc) and DH said it was the BEST vacation he's been on.....EVER! He's been itching to do another one, just as long as someone else does the driving!

I (being the 'thrifty' traveler) thought we'd go for the cheapest room (won't spend too much time in there), but DH wanted a French Balcony, so I caved and we'll be travelling 'in style'!!

I was really surprised that it seemed everyone goes from Amsterdam to Basel and from Nuremburg (or theresabouts) to Budapest, but few actually go through Germany....maybe we're just the nuts that want to do that. Maybe it's just easier to drive that region (dunno??). Anyway, we got the trip we were looking for at a really good price, so I'm happy! (Not happy about having to wait until next YEAR to go tho!! :()

We did our first river cruise with Viking a few years ago.Amsterdam to Vienna ..had a great time ..no complaints...although not sure i would like a bigger boat with more passangers....Did our second river cruise with Avalon last year..Did the Grand France 2 week cruise with an included night in Monaco..had an even better time ! Price of both cruise lines was comparable ( don't like Viking's phony two for one advertising) Paid extra this time for the floor to ceiling french balcony..loved it...we are booked to go with Avalon again next year Basil to Amsterdam..Have also heard good things about the other lines...the choices are multiple...find the itineary you like best for the time period you want to go. River cruiseing is great but wouldn't recomend it for small children. We don't do the mega ships any more..for ocean cruising we chose Windstar.( nothing compares with being under sail without the motor)

Honumaui,

What do you mean by the Viking phony 2-1 advertising?

Alohaaa

The last few years have been getting ads from Viking for 2 for one specials..ha..these are their everyday prices and they are very comparable with other lines normal pricing. Also don't like being pushed to pay total cost way ( more than a year ) in advance. Why can't Viking just say these are the prices and maybe give an extra disc. for advance booking/pmt. Viking has a good product but they are not the only river boat line with a good product ( although from what i read they like to think they are )

We are considering a Russian River Cruise. Which cruise line gets the best reviews over all, Viking, Uniworld, Scenic or AMA? Which is the best buy? I very much value past experience. I know everyone is different and has different goals and values but is there an overall winner? THX

'

Hi there -

There is a great thread over on the roll call section about river cruising in Russia. Doubt you will get an "overall winner" in this category - most will give you an opinion about why they chose the line they did, but few have taken the trip more than once, so hard to compare.

We did Russia with Uniworld last year - and the experience exceeded our expectations. Uniworld's brochure comes with the caveat that cruising in Russia may not be to the same standard as cruising with them in Europe so were prepared for something a little "rough around the edges"... but it was amazing.

There is a thread for those who cruised in 2012 - which may be a good place for you to start. People (myself included) posted on their experiences along the way. The thread for 2013 is really just those who have booked, as the 1st cruise of the season usually isn't until May.

Have fun planning.

Fran

The last few years have been getting ads from Viking for 2 for one specials..ha..these are their everyday prices and they are very comparable with other lines normal pricing. Also don't like being pushed to pay total cost way ( more than a year ) in advance. Why can't Viking just say these are the prices and maybe give an extra disc. for advance booking/pmt. Viking has a good product but they are not the only river boat line with a good product ( although from what i read they like to think they are )

I actually commented on this marketing strategy during an e-mail "conversation" with someone from Viking. The bottom line.... that is their marketing strategy, and it works for them - so they have no plans to change it.

Most people now know to compare the "2-for-1 that never ends" price with the other lines.

Fran

This is no different than large cruise lines posting “brochure prices” which nobody pays. It is a marketing strategy. I wouldn’t suggest that Viking thinks they are the only good river cruise line. On the contrary what they’ve done is found a niche, market to that, and as far as we’re concerned provide a great product at a reasonable price that works for us.

Just booked a french balcony for August 31, 2014 Viking Danube. Looking forward to a TOTALLY new experience. My husband and I are in our mid 50's and are traveling with another couple. We are experienced OCEAN cruisers, mostly on Celebrity. We will spend 3 nites prior to cruise in Prague, and 1 in Munich. After cruise we will spend an extran nite in Budapest. I will be reading and researching all the great things to see. After a 2 week trip to Ireland this fall, I can then hit the travel books heavy for the beautiful Danube!!!:D:D

Funny - I have two boys....one went to Univ Tenn (UT) whose colors are white and orange......one went to Univ of Texas (UT) whose colors are white and orange!

Guess the only part they got from me was the orange!

Add us to the "first timers"...

After around 35 ocean cruises, we just booked the Viking China trip for June 2014...

My wife has always wanted to try a river cruise...We've both always wanted to see China...we've never done this before because, with my wife's school district calendar, we've only been able to go in July/August--the hottest time of the year...they recently shifted the calendar to go August to May rather than September to June...and, even though June won't be that much cooler, we figured we may as well go...besides, we're running out of "new-to-us" Europe ocean cruise itineraries...so this mixes it up a bit...

I am really not expecting to be "blown away"...too many things about the ocean cruises I love that I already know are different with river cruises...

Besides, I really don't see this as much of a cruise...more of a land tour with a small river portion as we'll be on this tour for 17 nights with only five of them on a ship, the rest being in big hotels...

I am guessing that China will be far different than a typical European river cruise on the Rhine, Danube, Seine, etc. We're doing everything through Viking, just to keep it all in one tidy package--air, basic package, four night Hong Kong post-cruise...trying to keep it simple as possible...

My travel agent recommended Viking as her preferred line of choice for this trip, so we just booked it...

We did book the cheapest category on the ship since ALL of the cabins (except the suites) on the Emerald are identical--same size, same balcony...and it is only five nights of 17...

I really expect to be more blown away by the destination than by the cruise...My biggest concerned was in having five-star hotels and having everything per-packaged and arranged--especially since it's all so foreign and so new to us (I am far more comfortable traveling on my own in Europe where I've been so many times and understand a lot of the languages and am more familiar with the culture)...

In a way, I am going to appreciate not having to plan out my own pre- and post-cruise stays and arrange a bunch of private yours and not having to rent cars, etc...though I may miss a lot of the fun of planning all that...

But, overall, I am looking forward to this...it will be a nice change of pace for us, in the least...

And we probably will book at least another river cruise or two...likely the Danube...just to get to some places we haven't been to that you can't reach on an ocean cruise...I've even considered trying to mesh the schedules of, say, a river cruise down the Danube and a big ship Black Sea cruise back to back...

But, now I'm getting WAY ahead of myself!

Archived