Have some questions about Explorer, RCI reps can't answer

They can't really say no kids allowed in the solarium area at all, since going through there is the only way to get from the forward elevators to the pool on that deck. For that matter on Enchantment, I believe the snack bar is in the Solarium area.

Technically you could go one deck up then take stairs back down to main pool.

I often do this to avoid crowds.

Technically you could go one deck up then take stairs back down to main pool.

I often do this to avoid crowds.

This. They don't need to be there. I don't mind if they walk through but I also get an attendant and then stand there and wait if I see kids in the solarium area. They are not allowed there and I don't like the noise children and teens tend to make.

This. They don't need to be there. I don't mind if they walk through but I also get an attendant and then stand there and wait if I see kids in the solarium area. They are not allowed there and I don't like the noise children and teens tend to make.

I think you and I are going to get along just fine.

Guest maddycat
Thanks for all the responses, much appreciated.

It looks like we're good to bring on some water, just a little confused on whether to check it or carry it on. I'm looking to bring 2 cases of water on, mainly just for mixing the baby formula and watering down some juice for the baby as well. I understand the ship's water is purified, but I'd rather not switch up what we've been doing at home with using bottled water for the baby.

Looking forward to the cruise, it's been a long time since we've been on a cruise!

We always bring water on the Explorer. We like to carry bottled water with us when in port. We pack the water in a cardboard box, seal it with tape, tie it with cord and add a luggage tag. We then check it with our luggage. We've sailed on the Explorer several times and have never had a problem getting our water delivered to our cabin.

Thanks for all the responses, much appreciated.

It looks like we're good to bring on some water, just a little confused on whether to check it or carry it on. I'm looking to bring 2 cases of water on, mainly just for mixing the baby formula and watering down some juice for the baby as well. I understand the ship's water is purified, but I'd rather not switch up what we've been doing at home with using bottled water for the baby.

It appears that the kids in our group will be disappointed about the pool situation, and no chocolate fountains, but I'm sure they won't be totally bored.

Looking forward to the cruise, it's been a long time since we've been on a cruise!

On some cruises, but not sure if all do it. They have a chocolate breakfast in the diningroom the kids might like. Someone on here may know more about this.

18 months ago we reserved cabins for 11 people while on board X. We wanted the $50

per cabin break. I turned the reservations over to a local TA. All she had to do was arrange a

table for 11 in ATD about 7 every night. She assured me she had done it. However,

when we arrived , I checked the Seapass cards for our family. We had been put at

2 separate tables at dfferent ends. So, sent our oldest person)me) to the desk the first

afternoon. Have her,( him) be contrite (no nasty comments about our TA. There were

2 agents there. The first one said, it's not my fault your TA didn't due what you expected her to do. I continued to be contrite AND mentioning that we had booked in Feb. onboard the X. At that point, the 2nd person spoke up and said we will accomodate you.

She spoke to me later in the cruise and asked when I had asked for the big table. If turned out our TA had never put in the requiest. The people who got the 1 table of 12, which I knew was there had reserved less than a month before travel. Needless to say, I have steered many cruisers away from this local club. hope this helps.

Happy Sails,

joann

18 months ago we reserved cabins for 11 people while on board X. We wanted the $50

per cabin break. I turned the reservations over to a local TA. All she had to do was arrange a

table for 11 in ATD about 7 every night. She assured me she had done it. However,

when we arrived , I checked the Seapass cards for our family. We had been put at

2 separate tables at dfferent ends. So, sent our oldest person)me) to the desk the first

afternoon. Have her,( him) be contrite (no nasty comments about our TA. There were

2 agents there. The first one said, it's not my fault your TA didn't due what you expected her to do. I continued to be contrite AND mentioning that we had booked in Feb. onboard the X. At that point, the 2nd person spoke up and said we will accomodate you.

She spoke to me later in the cruise and asked when I had asked for the big table. If turned out our TA had never put in the requiest. The people who got the 1 table of 12, which I knew was there had reserved less than a month before travel. Needless to say, I have steered many cruisers away from this local club. hope this helps.

Happy Sails,

joann

So there's only 1 table of 12 in the MDR? We're a table of 10 + 1 high chair, so I'm hoping we get a table for 12 instead of being crammed into a table of 10. I'll have to dig deeper into this immediatly.

If you ever happen to be on a cruise with me, I spend all my pool time in the Solarium.

If I see kids in the Solarium, I immediately get an attendant. I'm not shy and do not hesitate. I don't go to the kids pool, the kids don't belong in the adult pool.

<thumbs up>

Ship's water is fine, it's made by reverse osmosis same as most bottled water.

Always come to the board first, much more info than the RCCL reps.

We mostly brought ready to feed formula for our daughter, but did have some powdered. We used the ships water. Very safe and tasty. The temp is actually good for making formula. No need to heat up.

The give you pack and plays. It was nice because we could pack it up during the day to provide extra room. We brought pnp sheets, but the stateroom attendant would set it up at night for us and make it all up nice with sheet they have (flat sheet).

Make sure to bring some dish soap and a bottle brush for those baby bottles. You should also check our the family board, as suggested by another poster. Lots of great information for families.

Yeah what's with all the bottled water people? I've got a bottle of Dasani here and it says "made by reverse osmosis. Minerals added for flavor."

Same as ship.

They probably even use the same equipment, only so many companies make RO machines.

So there's only 1 table of 12 in the MDR? We're a table of 10 + 1 high chair, so I'm hoping we get a table for 12 instead of being crammed into a table of 10. I'll have to dig deeper into this immediatly.

They stuck our family of 7 at a table made for 6. They made it very difficult for us to get a bigger table, but my mother in law did not want to be crammed every night for the rest of the week. As others have posted, just make sure you email the dining department ahead of time to avoid this issue.

This is not correct. Children under 16 are not permitted in the Solarium area.

I witnessed security evicting two children from the pool on my last EOS cruise.

Difficult to answer, depending on the pool attendant. You are correct, children are not allowed in the pool or hot tubs, but they are allowed in the solarium. If you bring children into the solarium be prepared to feel uncomfortable. My opinion is it should be an adults only area, but alas it is not. Things change, but it used to be everyone was allowed in bad weather. In the end, it may not make any difference, if there are rough seas they will drain all the pools anyway.

I'm on the Explorer OTS Feb 1st. I thought all Voyager class ships had a retractable roof over the solarium? I was on the Explorer last year and can't remember. In any case, I have only seen the retractable roof closed for a total of one day on all my cruises.

They stuck our family of 7 at a table made for 6. They made it very difficult for us to get a bigger table, but my mother in law did not want to be crammed every night for the rest of the week. As others have posted, just make sure you email the dining department ahead of time to avoid this issue.

Sorry to hear you had the problem indicated. When that has happend with us, we talk with the maitre de upon arrival and they do their best to accomodate us - such as move us to a larger table. Case in point, on Oaisis, we had a party of 9 that was requested for a table for 10, but the first night we were at a table for 8 with the comment that a table expander would be added the next night. Talked with the maitre de and asked for a different accomodation more to that originally requested and the next night were next to the captain's table at a table for 10. Again, surprised to hear the problem with moving you - they always try to do whatever possible to help in our experience. But to your point, we also always request our seating preferences in advance.

Just returned from a 7 night sail on Explorer - you can bring two bottles of wine (or champagne) in your carry on luggage - (two per stateroom maximum) - must be regular size bottles.

The cruise director is fun; shows were wonderful - slow lunch service in the dining room; and they also had duplicate menus on two days.

I agree 100%, but on some ships they serve pizza and hamburgers in the solarium.

The website says the solarium is adults only. I'm not questioning anyone, but for the life of me I don't remember ever seeing an adults only sign on the solarium entry doors on any ship, only at the pool. I'm probably relying on a faulty memory. And there is a disclaimer,

*During inclement weather and select hours, the ship may permit the Solarium Pool to be used by persons under age 16 provided they are directly supervised by a parent or guardian.

I agree 100%, but on some ships they serve pizza and hamburgers in the solarium.

The website says the solarium is adults only. I'm not questioning anyone, but for the life of me I don't remember ever seeing an adults only sign on the solarium entry doors on any ship, only at the pool. I'm probably relying on a faulty memory. And there is a disclaimer,

*During inclement weather and select hours, the ship may permit the Solarium Pool to be used by persons under age 16 provided they are directly supervised by a parent or guardian.

Which on Explorer would not apply as (previously posted) since there is no roof, whatever weather would affect the main pool would also affect the Solarium pool. Just was on Explorer two weeks ago and can attest to that as the weather was rainy and windy the last day and all outside areas - including the Solarium - were closed as a result.

Just returned from a 7 night sail on Explorer - you can bring two bottles of wine (or champagne) in your carry on luggage - (two per stateroom maximum) - must be regular size bottles.

The cruise director is fun; shows were wonderful - slow lunch service in the dining room; and they also had duplicate menus on two days.

Well, there are only like 3 lunch menus anyways so you will get duplicates with as many sea days as Explorer has.

Which on Explorer would not apply as (previously posted) since there is no roof, whatever weather would affect the main pool would also affect the Solarium pool. Just was on Explorer two weeks ago and can attest to that as the weather was rainy and windy the last day and all outside areas - including the Solarium - were closed as a result.

Good point. It puts the disclaimer into perspective. The climate is the same on the pool deck no matter where you are. Amusing they even need to mention it at all.

Good point. It puts the disclaimer into perspective. The climate is the same on the pool deck no matter where you are. Amusing they even need to mention it at all.

But some of the Solariums are covered - with a retractable glass roof. I think that applies to the Vision and Brilliance class ships. I recall in '96 on our maiden voyage sailing of Grandeur that it was covered as well as with Jewel and Serenade (but were open on our sailings). But I don't recall any of the Voyager class ships being covered (retractable or otherwise).

Archived