Have some questions about Explorer, RCI reps can't answer

I have a few questions that I've been trying to get answered for sure through the RCI website and speaking to RCI reps on the phone. I've been tranferred around from one department to the next without anyone answering these questions. I'm getting vague answers or just blowing me off like "you'll find out when you're on board". Some are important, some are just stupid inquires.

I'm wondering if anyone knows the answers of these questions? We're sailing on the Explorer of the Seas on Feb 10th out of Bayonne, NJ, in a family group of 11 people.

-Can you bring cases of water on board, and how much is allowed? (checked or carry on?) Mostly needed for mixing baby formula for our 10 month old.

-If it's too cold on deck for the outside pool, can kids (8 & 10) use the indoor pool?

-We've requested a crib in our cabin. Will it be an actual crib, or just a pack n' play?

-We're getting mixed signals about the dinner seating, we want to all sit together and have the early seating for the kids/baby, but some of our reservations say we are wait list. Is there a direct way to clear this up before boarding?

-Is there a way to find out what days are the formal nights? Curious if it will be Valentine's Day or not?

-Is there an iron and hair dryer in each room?

-Are there any midnight buffets or chocolate fountains for the kids?

-Are there any theme nights on board, like a 'white night' or 70's night? Perhaps anything special going on for Valentine's Day or Mardi Gras as we're sailing during these holidays?

The other questions concerned the premium $55 liquor package.

-Is soda and juices included in the package?

-Coffees like cappuccino included?

-Is the day on Coco Cay included with our package? Are all the drinks we have on the island included in the package, or do we have to pay seperatly for them?

See below - I'll do my best:

I have a few questions that I've been trying to get answered for sure through the RCI website and speaking to RCI reps on the phone. I've been tranferred around from one department to the next without anyone answering these questions. I'm getting vague answers or just blowing me off like "you'll find out when you're on board". Some are important, some are just stupid inquires.

I'm wondering if anyone knows the answers of these questions? We're sailing on the Explorer of the Seas on Feb 10th out of Bayonne, NJ, in a family group of 11 people.

-Can you bring cases of water on board, and how much is allowed? (checked or carry on?) Mostly needed for mixing baby formula for our 10 month old.

I case with no bottles opened in your check in should be OK.

-If it's too cold on deck for the outside pool, can kids (8 & 10) use the indoor pool?

No indoor pool. Solarium pool (forward) is 16 and older only, as is spa whirlpool.

-We've requested a crib in our cabin. Will it be an actual crib, or just a pack n' play?

Not sure - never used one.

-We're getting mixed signals about the dinner seating, we want to all sit together and have the early seating for the kids/baby, but some of our reservations say we are wait list. Is there a direct way to clear this up before boarding?

Email Explorer restuarant operations directly per the address below. Probably need to have two tables but they should be able to help you.

ex_restaurantoperationscoordinator@rccl.com

-Is there a way to find out what days are the formal nights? Curious if it will be Valentine's Day or not?

Day 2 / Day 6 on our 12/23/12 sailing.

Hair dryer yes - Iron no (and not allowed to be brought on board).

Might be a pool deck late night buffet, but no more "midnight buffets" per se. No chocolate fountains that I am aware of.

-Are there any theme nights on board, like a 'white night' or 70's night?

We were on a Holiday sailing so that theme was prevelent throughout the cruise. Not sure about those you ask about on that ship - have had similar on Oasis, etc., however.

Perhaps anything special going on for Valentine's Day or Mardi Gras as we're sailing during these holidays?

Not sure.

No but I think the soda card is at a reduced rate ($4.95?) with the package - maybe others would know for sure.

Not sure - others may know.

-Is the day on Coco Cay included with our package? Are all the drinks we have on the island included in the package, or do we have to pay seperatly for them?

Yes, I believe so with no extra charge. (CocoCay)

Enjoy your cruise.

I have left out the questions I can't answer. If you require further detail, I suggest you search the boards as most of these questions have already been answered.

-Can you bring cases of water on board, and how much is allowed?

Rules say no, but any post you read here says it works. Suggest you check it separately, but don't pack it. Otherwise you risk getting called to the naughty room. Or don't bother bringing it. The ship's water is very good, just not cold.

I specifically looked for this when I was on Explorer. The posted rules only say kids can't use the hot tub in the solarium. Nothing about the pool. However, it would make you, well let's just say "unpopular". Keep in mind the solarium on Explorer is actually outdoors, and there is no roof over the pool area.

You could try calling RC, or your travel agent.

Formal nights are generally the days at sea.

Iron no. Hair dryer yes.

There is an 11:00 buffet one night, but not worth it IMHO. No chocolate fountain.

-Are there any theme nights on board, like a 'white night' or 70's night? Perhaps anything special going on for Valentine's Day or Mardi Gras as we're sailing during these holidays?

Yes, there will be a 70's night. Every RC cruise has one. Ours also had a Caribbean theme night.

Just to add... should be no problem bringing on water. We do it every cruise. Best to carry on if possible. They may check it to make sure the seals on the bottles are not broken, but keep in original shrinkwrap and should be no problem. We take on Smart Water as my wife needs the electrolytes. That may help, but again, doesn't seem to be a problem.

There is always a 70's night and we have once had a "white" night. Formal night is generally on the "at sea" days but not if it's the last night. Usually easy to determine.

Have fun... Royal Caribbean is a great experience and the crew will go out of their way to help you.

We take on Smart Water as my wife needs the electrolytes.

You're being ripped off. The amount of electrolytes in "smart" water are trivial.

I contacted Glaceau directly and received the following information from Glaceau customer relations:

we add a unique and purposeful combination of electrolytes to smartwater®. one liter of smartwater® contains 10mg of potassium, 10mg of calcium, and 15mg of magnesium.

By contrast, Gatorade contains 440mg of sodium and 120mg of potassium per litre. Evian contains 78mg of calcium, 24mg of magnesium, and 4mg of sodium, but makes no claims about electrolytes. Indeed, from what I can tell, smartwater contains less in the way of electrolytes than most typical mineral or spring waters you might buy, and probably less than your tap water.

For perspective, one small bannana has about 200mg potassium. So that's equal to 20! liters of smart water.

I apologize for being off topic but this is a peeve of mine. Sorry. I deal with it frequently.

Come join our roll call for the Feb 10 cruise and register for the M&M. I know you are traveling with a group of 11, but it can be fun to meet some other cruisers, particularly if questions come up on the cruise. It's always good to have other resources. There are a number folks doing a B2B who will have spent the previous 9 days on the ship - Feb 10 will be my 11 th cruise on the EX.

There is a special email for RCL Dining which I will look up later today. Basically you need the names of everyone in your group and all the reservations numbers to make your dining request.

You've gotten good answers to all your questions. There never seems to be any problem bringing water or soda on board the EX.

You're being ripped off. The amount of electrolytes in "smart" water are trivial.

I contacted Glaceau directly and received the following information from Glaceau customer relations:

we add a unique and purposeful combination of electrolytes to smartwater®. one liter of smartwater® contains 10mg of potassium, 10mg of calcium, and 15mg of magnesium.

By contrast, Gatorade contains 440mg of sodium and 120mg of potassium per litre. Evian contains 78mg of calcium, 24mg of magnesium, and 4mg of sodium, but makes no claims about electrolytes. Indeed, from what I can tell, smartwater contains less in the way of electrolytes than most typical mineral or spring waters you might buy, and probably less than your tap water.

For perspective, one small bannana has about 200mg potassium. So that's equal to 20! liters of smart water.

I apologize for being off topic but this is a peeve of mine. Sorry. I deal with it frequently.

DrD--this is very interesting. I wonder about these things all the time. I'm a big fan of SmartWater and it's basically all I drink. I think it just tastes better than Evian. It's all about marketing, isn't it?

Policy says no, none, never. Some people have had luck getting cases onboard. Some have not. They will provide distilled water upon request for formula.

Perhaps. It varies by sailing. There is no way to give a definitive answer on this.

Pack n' Play

The waitlist may or may not clear before sailing. If it does not clear before sailing you can try to move once onboard. Keep in mind, though, that if there is a waitlist that is because all of the chairs are full. So unless someone wants to change their dining from early to late (or cancels) it may not open up.

It depends on the length of sailing.

Hair dryer, yes. Iron no. You cannot bring an iron onboard

No.

Yes. The Cruise Director plans these and will announce them onboard

All drink packages may be used on Coco Cay as well as Labadee. Not all o the drinks may be included. It also includes fountain soda and juice. It does not appear to include specialty coffee but I do not know this for sure. Keep in mind if one adult purchases it, all adults in the stateroom must purchase it.

See answers in red, above

I specifically looked for this when I was on Explorer. The posted rules only say kids can't use the hot tub in the solarium. Nothing about the pool.

This is not correct. Children under 16 are not permitted in the Solarium area.

I witnessed security evicting two children from the pool on my last EOS cruise.

....again, there is no indoor pool on Explorer - the Solarium is open to the air.

And johneeo is correct - I too have seen the ages enforced on EOS as well as on other ships. The age guidelines with no children under 16 in the Solarium pool and whirlpools (and Spa whirlpool) are fleetwide (in our experience) - and most ships have a sign posting this at the entrance. The issue is more likely with enforecement and maybe some ship's crews are more laxed than others.

Thanks for all the responses, much appreciated.

It looks like we're good to bring on some water, just a little confused on whether to check it or carry it on. I'm looking to bring 2 cases of water on, mainly just for mixing the baby formula and watering down some juice for the baby as well. I understand the ship's water is purified, but I'd rather not switch up what we've been doing at home with using bottled water for the baby.

It appears that the kids in our group will be disappointed about the pool situation, and no chocolate fountains, but I'm sure they won't be totally bored.

Looking forward to the cruise, it's been a long time since we've been on a cruise!

Just to clarify, re the Solarium, it is adults only (not just the hot tubs that are there).

Per the RCI website:

"...Vitality SM Spa with extensive treatment menu and a thermal suite, 3 pools including the Solarium, an adults-only retreat* 3 whirlpools..."

We have always had good luck with bringing bottled water on board. We leave it in the original shrink wrap and I reinforce that with some duct tape, just enough to keep it from ripping open and making a mess for the handlers. We put a luggage tag on it also with clear packing tape and it has always been delivered to our room.

We were a group of 14 our last sailing and did My Time Dining. We made a reservation the first night and loved our wait staff. They put us at two tables of eight right beside one another. We remained in their section the entire week with our dining times within 15 minutes of the first night's reservation. Sometimes everyone would show up, and sometimes we were only a party of 10 to 14. No problems at all!

Happy Sailing! You will love the Explorer!

Not sure what age your child is that will need a pack and play but on our previous cruise, frielnds had an 2 yr old. The pack and play took up too much space so they turned the couch around so the back was facing away from the wall. The cabin steward made it up like a bed and the little guy slept very well. He thought it was his own private space and was tickled to think he could look over the arm and see his parents. One more thing - they tucked extra pillows against the wall for cushioning.

Happy sailing!

This is not correct. Children under 16 are not permitted in the Solarium area.

I witnessed security evicting two children from the pool on my last EOS cruise.

Glad to hear it about security enforcing the rules.

I took a picture of the "no reserving seats" sign on EOS, but I guess I never took a picture of the pool sign. I do recall the solarium hottub signs specifically say no kids. I thought the pool sign didn't say anything about age.

However, OP asked if kids were allowed to use the solarium pool in bad weather. On Explorer, it's kind of moot since the solarium pool is outside as well. I have read here on CC that on other ships, kids were allowed to use the indoor solarium pool during certain hours, but only if the weather was bad.

They can't really say no kids allowed in the solarium area at all, since going through there is the only way to get from the forward elevators to the pool on that deck. For that matter on Enchantment, I believe the snack bar is in the Solarium area.

If you ever happen to be on a cruise with me, I spend all my pool time in the Solarium.

If I see kids in the Solarium, I immediately get an attendant. I'm not shy and do not hesitate. I don't go to the kids pool, the kids don't belong in the adult pool.

Archived