Avoid formal dress for crossing?

alise007

We are supposed to be relocating to Germany this mid June/July for a 1 year work assignment with my husband's employer. Airfare is quite high and we don't have a return date for the flights (change fee extra).

Initially we were going in April and started considering Transatlantic Cruise as a way for myself and my 2 children to get across the pond for about the same cost as flying! However with the date change/project delay we are limited to Cunard as the only TA's I can find available during the summer.

We will be packing clothes suitable for regular daily living and won't have much room for formal wear. I would assume I will have jeans, capris and casual tops for living in Germany. Possibly some long sundresses but nothing fancy or formal.

Is it possible to dine without requiring nicer clothes (dress pants, dresses) at the buffets and other cafe/eateries? Fancy food is lost on the kids and I am just looking forward to relaxing and letting them enjoy the child center activities.

And as far as having children on board they will be 5 and 7 at sailing and on our NCL Dawn cruise they were 2 of 10 children on board and we received many compliments on their behavior when out in public areas. The average age on that sailing to Quebec was 65+ and I am very considerate of other's.

Is it possible to dine without requiring nicer clothes (dress pants, dresses) at the buffets and other cafe/eateries? Fancy food is lost on the kids and I am just looking forward to relaxing and letting them enjoy the child center activities.

Yes, it is OK at the buffet in Kings Court and room service is also an option.

We are supposed to be relocating to Germany this mid June/July for a 1 year work assignment with my husband's employer. Airfare is quite high and we don't have a return date for the flights (change fee extra).

Initially we were going in April and started considering Transatlantic Cruise as a way for myself and my 2 children to get across the pond for about the same cost as flying! However with the date change/project delay we are limited to Cunard as the only TA's I can find available during the summer.

We will be packing clothes suitable for regular daily living and won't have much room for formal wear. I would assume I will have jeans, capris and casual tops for living in Germany. Possibly some long sundresses but nothing fancy or formal.

And as far as having children on board they will be 5 and 7 at sailing and on our NCL Dawn cruise they were 2 of 10 children on board and we received many compliments on their behavior when out in public areas. The average age on that sailing to Quebec was 65+ and I am very considerate of other's.

Brace yourself for the usual comments about the formality on board and what-a-shame-not to partake, etc. but here's the reality of it: you will be fine in the buffet or the pub at night. Nice, casual clothes will still get you into the Britannia restaurant at breakfast and lunch, as well as the Queens Room for tea, and I sincerely hope you treat yourself to their more informal atmosphere during the day.

Here's wishing you a relaxed crossing!

You won't need to dress up for breakfast or lunch. The atmosphere onboard during the day is more relaxed than Cunard's publicity may suggest. As for dinner, if you stick to the buffet in King's Court, you can get by without formal wear.

This is how the Cunard website puts it: "Should you wish to dress more casually in the evening, then you will be able to dine in the Kings Court (Queen Mary 2) and Lido Restaurants (Queen Victoria & Queen Elizabeth) though you should be aware that nearly all guests adhere to the evening's dress code and this helps to set the ambience for the evening." What Cunard calls "elegant casual" will suffice, which the website describes as follows: "Elegant Casual nights require clothing such as stylish resort or leisure wear. Casual dresses or smart separates for ladies, open neck polo shirts and casual trousers (no jeans or shorts) for men. Jacket required but no tie. Children under 18 do not have a dress code but should dress as smart as possible in relation to the above." Notice that there is no dress code for children.

Having said all this, a nice outfit or two may take up less space in your luggage than you think. Most passengers enjoy dressing up for the evening. Indeed, it's one of the things that makes a Cunard crossing special.

Whatever you decide to do, I'm sure you are your family will have an extraordinary time on your voyage.

Thanks for the help! I will be the only adult so unless I get seated with other people I would be dining with the kids or alone. The shorter sailing may allow for my husband to join us but there is a good change it would just be me!

Trying to pack for a long term overseas gig with a 50 lb suitcase limit is not fun! Renting formal clothing for a night might be fun though!

You cannot rent formal wear for just one night. There is a set rental fee based on the number of formal nights on that particular voyage. No rebates if you try for one night and decide not to continue.

Additionally, the airlines' second bag fee to bring sufficient evening attire would be far less expensive than renting the formal wear onboard.

FURTHER EDIT: Do they even offer Ladies' formal wear for rent?

You can easily get away with a dark sportsjacket, tie and dark slacks for men and just about anything for women even on a formal night in the Britannia for dinner. The guests are usually so old or inebriated that they do not mind. Eating in the buffet all the time is foolish. Don't let the clothes police ruin your cruise. What they really ought to ban are those musty kilts and service jackets.

Women and children can get away with a lot less formal than the gentlemen. A long black skirt can be worn on formal nights with the right top.. You will certainly want black slacks in Germany so you can pair this with light weight tops on elegant casual and semiformalnights with tops made of the right material or some shiny trim. Keep your eyes out for these in the next months. Lots of tops look formal if you pair it with a long skirt, so start looking for a lightweight one. You can wear the same clothes many times since you will be only wearing in the evening and launder if necessary.

As for the children, I would guess they can get away with less formal but not jeans or shorts. Maybe others can comment.

Sounds like a great idea. Yes, you will be fine in the buffet wearing casual clothing for dinner.

QM2 has a very nice children's program. My 7 year old has sailed on that ship 3 times, and my 3 year old has been on that ship twice. I think you will all have a wonderful time.

The Sinners!!! How shocking.:eek::D

But not as shocking (or sinfully delightful) as sailing on QM2!:D

P.S. On a more serious note, although most Amish won't drive a car, they are usually willing to be driven by others, and they are quite comfortable traveling by train, bus, or ship, not to mention the lift! The one modern form of transportation they almost always avoid, except in the case of a medical emergency, is the airplane.

You can easily get away with a dark sportsjacket, tie and dark slacks for men and just about anything for women even on a formal night in the Britannia for dinner. The guests are usually so old or inebriated that they do not mind. Eating in the buffet all the time is foolish. Don't let the clothes police ruin your cruise. What they really ought to ban are those musty kilts and service jackets.

We may be elderly, but not too elderly for good taste!!!

The room service is fantastic. Don't frown on getting meals in the rooms. You might be delighted with formal dressing and going about on formal nights, though. It's one of those events in life you should experience.

I think that the group that were on board in 2011 or maybe 2010 were Amish from Iowa. They used the lifts though!

If they were hard-core orthodox Jews on a Sunday, they would have to wait in the lift until someone comes along and pushes the buttons for them.

PARTIAL QUOTE

If they were hard-core orthodox Jews on a Sunday they would have to wait in the lift until someone comes along and pushes the buttons for them.

I believe that the Jewish Sabbath (Shabbos) begins on Friday evenings and ends on Saturday evenings. And most do not wait for someone to push a button, they walk. -Based on my personal observation. Shalom :) -S.

PortOffPort,

"If they were hard-core orthodox Jews on a Sunday, they would have to wait in the lift until someone comes along and pushes the buttons for them"?

I think you mean Saturday! :eek:

Neither a Saturday nor a Sunday...

One time when I got on the scenic elevator on QM2, there were three others in the elevator, and no buttons were pushed.

After I pushed the deck I wanted, I asked "what deck would you like?"

Reply: "Thanks, sweetie, we're just here for the ride, enjoying the view. Been on here for 20 minutes, and it keeps getting better!":D

Edited to add: That happened hours prior to sailaway from Red Hook...and I could see how it was a great photo op, from different heights, and their cameras were protected from the elements (it was cold and raining that day).

As everyone has said, yes it is possible, and that would be the best option if you don't plan to meet the dress code requirements in the evening.

You don't need to worry about the day, as everyone wears whatever.

The dress code does apply to all areas of the ship after six pm. Whilst one poster did infer that Cunard passengers are "too old and inebriated" to care what others are wearing, I've found that most choose Cunard because they really like the formal atmosphere at night. Should you feel like dancing in the Queens Room or G32 after six pm, and you're jeans or shorts (for example) you will look out of place, and it wouldn't be considerate of the other passengers. I'm sure you wouldn't do that, but I have seen it happen so there are some inconsiderate people out there.

I hope you have a nice crossing, and indeed all the passengers on that particular voyage.

Good question and you are clearly sailing aboard this ship just to save money and hiring of clothing might be deemed counter productive.

I wish you well on your trip across the Atlantic, enjoy the experience and hopefully you and your children might want to attend some of the lectures plus the planetarium

Archived