Wondering if Adonia is just a bit too small !

Tizzy

Our son has just started working on Adonia and we have been considering booking a Cruise on this ship for later in the year. It does look very small however and I do worry about being sea-sick. Even on our forthcoming Cruise on Azura I have been very careful to book a cabin mid-ship as I do suffer with motion sickness quite badly at times. I wonder if Adonia might just be a step too far for me ? It looks a beautiful ship but it must rock around in rough weather ? Any advice welcomed. Have you travelled on Adonia in rough weather ?

We sailed on Adonia 18 months ago on a Central Med cruise. She is a small ship & is our favourite. However, when we hit bumpy seas coming out of Catania both my hubby & myself were ill for 24 hours. Although I get motion sickness I have never had it on our previous 3 cruises on Oceana & Azura and I haven't had it since on Arcadia, and hubby NEVER has motion sickness so the size of the ship was certainly a major factor.

Having said all that, we do love Adonia & we wouldn't be put off sailing on her again if the right itinerary came up - we would just go armed with more anti sickness tablets & take them as soon as the seas look choppy rather than hanging on in the hope that 'mind over matter' will work! Failing that, the injection from the ships doctor will get you back on your feet after a good long sleep!

Angie

You need to see the underwater profile of the ship. If she's flatbottomed like some, then she will roll, if she is built like a liner with a deep keel she will take the sea beautifully. Also, it really does depend from where the wind and sea are coming. Whether you are pitching up and down or rolling from side to side.

We had some rough weather on Azura, although only a Force 7 and I thought she rolled quite badly.

You need to see the underwater profile of the ship. If she's flatbottomed like some, then she will roll, if she is built like a liner with a deep keel she will take the sea beautifully. Also, it really does depend from where the wind and sea are coming. Whether you are pitching up and down or rolling from side to side.

We had some rough weather on Azura, although only a Force 7 and I thought she rolled quite badly.

Exactly correct. I have sailed on the Oceana in a force 9/10 across the Bay of Biscay and it bounced around an awful lot. I have also crossed the Bay on Fred O's Blackwatch a much smaller ship and that was quite stable.

How do you see an underwater profile of a ship?

We cruised to the Canaries on Adonia just before Christmas and thoroughly enjoyed it. We had a couple of nights when sickbags appeared in the lifts and at the top of staircases, so we feared the worst. However, although there was some movement, we did not feel sick. Members of staff we spoke to referred to Adonia as 'The Dancing Queen' and although I admit she has a rather strange movement, I would not hesitate to cruise on her again.

We much preferred her to Azura, finding her to be friendlier and smarter. There was no theatre but the entertainment in the Curzon Lounge was pretty good.

All in all, cruising at its best!

~Well you could look at the draught of the ship. I think Oriana for instance has 9 m keel which is a deep keel and keeps her stable. Some of the older ships are built like liners and are much more stable than these modern blocks of flats which have such high superstructure, they have a lot of windage.

we have sailed yachts and if they have a long deep keel, then they are sea kindly. again the more modern lightweight ones, pitch and roll like a pig!

I love the smaller ships, so much more friendly, cosy.

Arcadia did not take too kindly to powering head on into a Force 11 in the Atlantic in Jan 2011. They had to slow her to 10 knots to stop her from being damaged. So - yes , it does depend on the ship design but it also depends on the sea conditions (obviously) and the ship's relative course and speed

Barry

I love Adonia but returning through the Bob last May - I missed the first dinner ever on a ship. I was very sick for about 12 hours. I have had worse weather in larger ships and never suffered like that, BUT, it was hitting her diagonally causing her to corkscrew. You can't tell reallly until you try her and it may be flat calm anyway.

I found all the replies very interesting so thank you everyone.

I think we will see how we get on with Azura first. We have sailed on the Crown Princess which is the same design but it felt massive and I think I prefer slightly smaller ships. It felt like we walked miles every day getting from place to place on the ship. Motion sickness is a ghastly thing to suffer with and it is frustrating that I am the only one in the family who gets it.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure you can generalise too much. I've experienced a very rocky and uncomfortable cross-channel crossing on Black Watch (Southampton to Rouen), and very stable crossings on Ventura. I'm sure the specific conditions were important, and possibly also my own condition!

Archived