ship excursions vs. independent-anyone ever been left?

svm8

Another type of risk to consider, depending on where you are going and how far away it is from the port, is cancellation policies. Ships certainly tout their own tours loudly, but you don't hear anything too loud when they cancel one. We were on a Med cruise last October, and like others here, planned for months. 2 of the excursions we planned were ship tours, since they matched exactly what we wanted and when. I booked them over 6 months in advance to be sure. Other ports were private and we did our due diligence on who we used, as recommended on CC.

1 day before we flew out for the cruise, I got an email from the cruiseline stating a tour was cancelled . This actually affected our arrangements for 2 days, because it was an overnight port. On the second day on the ship, which ironically enough was supposed to be a port day but the ship cancelled the stop altogether, we had a flyer shoved in the mailbox stating that another excursion for the next day, was cancelled. Needless to say, we were not amused.

Our private tours went without a hitch! So if you have a choice, go private. We had 3 disappointing port days on a long-planned expensive trip because we chose ship tours.

For private tours, make sure you are aware of their refund policies in the event of a port being cancelled altogether.

Great information from all

I have the pleasure of working as the nurse on the ship. So the simple answer is yes people get left behind on many voyages. The actual numbers appear to be small. The worst offenders are those independent passengers who lose all track of time. The main determinant for cruise tour vs private tour is your personality.

Although the risk in small, there's still a risk. If you're going to be stressed, stay with the on-board excursions.

David

Go to Youtube and put "pier runners" in the search box. There are quite a few videos of people running down the pier as the ship pulls away, leaving them behind. My guess is most of them went into port on their own and didn't keep track of the time as opposed to excursions. But the answer is yes, they leave people behind.

Go to Youtube and put "pier runners" in the search box. There are quite a few videos of people running down the pier as the ship pulls away, leaving them behind. My guess is most of them went into port on their own and didn't keep track of the time as opposed to excursions. But the answer is yes, they leave people behind.
Sometimes they are locals who enjoy doing that for entertainment.

We chatted with some at a couple of Alaska ports, where they have fun running down the pier waving their arms as a cruise ship is pulling away, with the passengers looking down from the decks above, waving and shouting at them.

I was even tempted to try it myself when I was out taking photos of the ships departing before ours, but managed to resist the temptation, afraid I might get into trouble if I did that. :D

I've been reading the boards obsessively and understand the pros/cons of ship sponsored excursions and independent excursions. The main risk that is mentioned is being left if the independent excursion is delayed and doesn't return in time to catch the ship.

I'm curious if anyone here (or someone you know personally) has actually experienced something like this. We are trying to decide on excursions and how much risk we want to take;).

Thanks!!

we booked all ship excursions for our first cruise mainly to ease my anxiety about being left. we have since booked a number of non ship excursions and never had a problem. I would book a ship excursion if it is a tender port (first one off the ship) or perhaps the port is not as safe as others

No problem with tender ports as long as you are at the tender dock by "last tender" time.

This is something that new cruise passengers often worry about when they see a full tender leaving without them.

Rest assured that even if the tender leaving at "last tender" time is full and departs without you, there is no need for panic or concern.

As long as you are waiting in line at the dock at the requested time, they will keep running tenders back and forth as many times as necessary beyond the "last tender" time, until they have picked up all the waiting passengers.

It occurs frequently and the ship's crew is well aware that there may be a lot of passengers waiting for that last tender, especially at the most popular tender ports. Often they will send several tenders out to make that final run. At some ports, they even charter a larger boat from the local port to use as a tender.

Last tender time is typically at least a half-hour before the ship's scheduled departure time, but they delay the ship's departure when necessary.

No problem with tender ports as long as you are at the tender dock by "last tender" time.

As long as you are waiting in line at the dock at the requested time, they will keep running tenders back and forth as many times as necessary beyond the "last tender" time, until they have picked up all the waiting passengers.

Yep, a point well-worth making :)

You need to be at the pier by "last tender time", not on board the ship by then.

On more than one occasion, arriving at the pier just ahead of "last tender" time to find a long line of folk stood in the baking sun, we've sidled off to a shady nearby bar for a relaxing drink within sight of the line, and joined the line when it's reasonably short. Even though that may be after the advertised "last tender" time.

We've also seen folk arrive at the port after the advertised time to sheepishly join the line. Wouldn't advise cutting it that fine though.:rolleyes:

Although when berthed at the pier "back-on-board" time is 30 mins before the scheduled sailing, my experience has been that when tenders are needed the "last tender" time has normally been 60 mins before the scheduled sailing time to allow for mopping-up the line & recovering the tenders if the ship's own boats are used.

JB :)

An interesting thread, thank you for all the useful information. we've been on five cruises so far and enjoyed many private tours, including cave tubing in Belize. On that tour, the guide was almost paranoid about assuring us that we would be back in plenty of time. As he said, it's more than his living is worth to provide por service, as it would go viral very quickly.

In my experience, it's the bars and the people who overindulge in them, that are the problem. Who hasn't enjoyed finding a place on an upper deck (drink in hand) watching inebriated passengers running frantically down the pier, way after sail away time? It's a cruising highlight!

We have taken 50 or 75 independent tours and never missed the ship. We never even came close.

Okay, I have a question which I've been thinking about. I'll be on a few private tour on a mediterranean cruise and thinking about "missing the ship" thing, wouldn't it be wise to keep your passport on your person rather than it sailing away without you, especially if your next port is another country? I rather leave it safely on the ship but I also would like to have the security of having it with me in case I need it. Experienced cruisers?

Marie:confused:

Okay, I have a question which I've been thinking about. I'll be on a few private tour on a mediterranean cruise and thinking about "missing the ship" thing, wouldn't it be wise to keep your passport on your person rather than it sailing away without you, especially if your next port is another country? I rather leave it safely on the ship but I also would like to have the security of having it with me in case I need it. Experienced cruisers?

Most of us leave it on the ship, though there's two schools of thought.

The risk of loss/theft ashore is cetainly way greater than the risk of missing the sailing.

But if you do miss the ship, it's likely to be a whole lot easier if your passport is in your pocket.

If you know you're likely to miss the ship, by phoning the ship's shore agent (contact details in the ship's daily paper) your passport can be retrieved from your cabin safe & at the gangplank to hand to the shore agent before the ship leaves. Word is that some cruise lines may do this automatically if the passports are in the cabin safe.

If the ship's next port-of-call is in the same country, or in another european country with no border control between (known as a Schengen country), and possibly between some Caribbean islands, you'll not need your passport to catch up with the ship though some (all?) airlines require photo ID.

I've never put those things to the test.

In case she misses the sailing & needs it to fly home, Patty takes hers ashore.

In case I lose mine ashore, I leave mine in the cabin safe because I usually need it at the end of the cruise because I fly-cruise.

Your cruise, your passport, your call ;)

I'd say that most non USA people take it with them.

I only leave the passport on the ship if the next port I travel to is in the same country and I dont need to fly there. If you need to fly to the next port and you are not in your country of citizenship then you won't be getting there. Many countries insist you carry it on you at all times.

If you know you're likely to miss the ship, by phoning the ship's shore agent (contact details in the ship's daily paper) your passport can be retrieved from your cabin safe & at the gangplank to hand to the shore agent before the ship leaves.

My concern - the reason I won't leave my passport on the ship if given the option - is that I would be unable to phone, or to contact the ship's shore agent. Reasons like injury or illness, that might have me in the hospital in a place where I don't speak the local language - or worse, in a police station, reporting a crime. Perhaps those concerns are greater for me because I usually travel solo, so I wouldn't have a travel partner able to call for me should I be incapacitated.

Ultimately, this is the worst of the CC arguments, and there's no "right" or "best" answer - do what you feel comfortable with.

In my experience, it's the bars and the people who overindulge in them, that are the problem. Who hasn't enjoyed finding a place on an upper deck (drink in hand) watching inebriated passengers running frantically down the pier, way after sail away time? It's a cruising highlight!

I haven't.

But if you ever make an expensive and distressing mistake, let me know and I'll be sure to laugh at you if that's what you want.

........If you know you're likely to miss the ship, by phoning the ship's shore agent (contact details in the ship's daily paper) your passport can be retrieved from your cabin safe & at the gangplank to hand to the shore agent before the ship leaves. Word isthat some cruise lines may do this automatically if the passports are in the cabin safe.....
It is not necessary to phone the ship's shore agent, or anyone else, or to take the word of a stranger on a message board.

On the cruises we have taken, the standard procedure was that if a passenger misses the ship, that passenger's passport will be removed from the safe (if the passport is locked in the safe) and left with the port agent.

One should not assume that the passport will always be "at the gangplank to hand to the shore agent before the ship leaves" because sometimes the passport may be retrieved from the safe after the ship has left the dock and given to the pilot, who puts it into his pouch to take back to the port agent when he leaves on the pilot boat.

This is a question that frequently comes up on ships that have Q&A sessions with senior officers for the passengers .

If you have any doubt about the policy followed on your own ship, it is best simply to ask your captain or any of the senior officers.

Even the manager of guest relations should be able to tell you.

I haven't.

But if you ever make an expensive and distressing mistake, let me know and I'll be sure to laugh at you if that's what you want.

Certainly, sounds like you could do with a laugh! If you just remove that halo from your eyes for second, you'll see that I (and many others) enjoyed watching them get on the shi, not missing it. And guess what? Those who laugh most are the latecomers themselves.

I would never laugh at others' misfortunes, any more than I'd get too blottoed to make the ship. Might need a drink if I shared a table with you though! :)

It is not necessary to phone the ship's shore agent, or anyone else, or to take the word of a stranger on a message board.

On the cruises we have taken ...........

Have a little think about what you've just written ;):D

If your cruise is in the Eastern Med, you may not have a choice. Many ships hold the passports of all passengers, particularly on cruises that exit and re-enter the Schengen Zone (e.g., if your ship goes from Italy or Greece to Turkey (or Israel, or Egypt) and back.

I have cruised and traveled solo for years. I never keep my passport with me unless it is a requirement (as it is in some countries -- however, I wouldn't say "many" countries as someone above indicated).

If I were ever in danger of missing the ship, my plan A would be to contact the ship's agent and have him/her retrieve my passport either from my safe or from the staff if it is being held. Usually this is done anyway, but I would be proactive about it! Plan B, if I were somehow unable to contact the ship due to incapacitating injury or other event (probably less than 1 in 3,000 chance) AND the ship did not leave my passport behind, I would use the copy I emailed myself to facilitate getting a new one within a short time frame.

I've had colleagues who lost their passports (which is much more frequent than missing the ship in Europe seems to be....) due to pickpockets in Rome and Barcelona; both were able to get replacements within a day.

If you are in the EU and your ship's next stop is in the EU, you may not need your passport to catch up with the ship anyway.

Should you decide to carry your passport, please keep it well hidden and safe. Do NOT keep it in your purse, backpack, waist pack, or pocket. I've had my wallet lifted out of a zipped compartment in a zipped cross body bag in Barcelona without me noticing it at all.

Luckily for me, my passport was in the hotel safe, or it could very well have gone missing too. ;)

Cruisemom - love your idea of emailing it to yourself! I usually only take a passport photocopy with me when getting off at a port. I was glad I did when we were docked in Tenerife- had my purse stolen there. Luckily, the ship had kept the original passports when we first boarded... but I guess now if I email it, I'll have to make sure my tablet isn't stolen...good grief!

I only leave the passport on the ship if the next port I travel to is in the same country and I dont need to fly there. If you need to fly to the next port and you are not in your country of citizenship then you won't be getting there. Many countries insist you carry it on you at all times.

I thank everyone for their input and opinions on whether to travel with a passport ashore or not. Ultimately, I know it is my decision which to be comfortable with and I do not want to risk having it stolen or losing it and I was already planning to have a copy with me ashore just in case. What I didn't know is what some have said that if you do miss the ship (which I DO NOT plan on doing), they can remove your passport from the cabin safe and have it brought forward somehow. What I will do is ask senior officers and/or ship personnel about this too for a plan B. Wanted to ask you experienced cruisers first. Thanks everyone for their help.

Marie

I think if you were going to miss the ship then I wouldn't want to rely on someone being available last minute to extract it from the safe and getting it to the harbour agent. Unless you were going to be more than an hour delayed, and able to give plenty of notice. I suspect most non arrivals are more likely less than 10 minutes wait. Just a hunch. They allow you to literally run onboard as they prepare to move off.

While the passport extraction sounds like a plan I just don't see it working practically for last minute lateness.

Hi Pushka,

Just to clarify a few points:

I can't speak for other nationals but the overwhelming majority of Brits leave their passport in the their cabin safe.

Getting in/out of your home country without a passport can be as difficult - or as easy - as any other country, and as my earlier post a passport isn't always neccessary between countries.

Yes, a few countries such as Egypt & Russia require you to carry your passport but most don't.

Strangely, port authorities in Venice do but other Italian ports, like other EU ports, don't. Go figure that one :confused:

As Cruisemom's post, some cruise lines / destinations the ship holds all passports centrally. If you ask you can be given yours if you want to take it ashore - most don't ask.

Edit re your last post -time for the crew to find passports:

Crew have usually 30 mins between all-aboard & casting off to find passports -even if it's abortive cos the errant passenger arrive 2 mins before the gangplank is raised. And as Varoo's post, they can also use the pilot boat as postman, that's worth at least 30 mins. Plenty of time to retrieve passports from the cabin safe. But not to hunt through drawers etc, so if leaving passports on the ship its always best to leave them in the safe.

JB mentioned Venice, and this brings up an interesting observation about Italy. Over the years the Italian authorities have required passengers to carry Passports in certain ports, and not in others. Yes, as JB says, Venice has recently been telling folks to carry their Passports and they must show them in order to get back into the port. On the other hand, if you are in Civitavecchia they do not require you to carry a Passport...but in the not to distant past they did require you to carry a Passport in Rome (do not think that is true anymore). But if you were in Livorno...I do not recall you ever had to carry a Passport. Perhaps there is a reason for this inconsistency within Italy, but we suspect it just falls into the usual "But Its Italy!" category.

Hank

Some info from the UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) :

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/europe/italy

It is a legal requirement in Italy to be able to show some form of identification at all times, if requested by the police or judicial authorities. In most cases, it should be sufficient to carry a photocopy of the data page of your passport. However, you should be prepared to be accompanied by the police to collect the original document, if necessary, or to produce it within twelve hours of notification.

VP

Archived