ship excursions vs. independent-anyone ever been left?

svm8

JB, seeing that a tiny fraction of actual cruisers know and post on cruise critic, not reading that anyone has missed the ship is not all that impressive. quote]

Hi again. Kitty.

You're right of course, that CC members are only a fraction of the cruising public.

But bad news & schardenfreude are always worth a gossip, so I'm pretty sure we'd have seen reports on these forums.

And if you search You-Tube, it's the same dozen or so incidents over and over again of folk just catching / just missing the ship or hitching a lift with the pilot boat, all caught on a variety of cameras. Cos they're worthy of posting. Nearly all the latecomers in their twos & threes, & not a tour bus in sight.

Not saying it's never happened with a private tour group.

In fact it probably has.

But I think we all agree that risks need to be seen in perspective.

Alhough, as Hank's post, we have our views on the subject, others prefer the safety net of a ship's tour.

And what counts is what the individual is comfortable with.

Because of that safety net, ship's tours do often seem to cut it fine, presumably more at ports where a delayed departure is no big deal.

We were held up 30 mins at SPB due to a late-returning ship's tour - screwed up in traffic coming back from St Cath Palace. But (see Aquilegia's post) what sort of tour organiser puts such a location at the end of a tour :confused: :rolleyes:

And ship's buses straggled into Safaga from Luxor after all-aboard time - with us in one of them :p. Yep, despite our dislike of ships' tours, a 3.5hr journey back to the ship in Egypt is way beyond our DIY limits.

JB :)

Leaving on Wednesday for Singapore and 2 week cruise aboard Celebrity Millennium. At all seven ports of call we have, through CC roll call, scheduled private tours at a drastic savings in cost compared to the ship sponsored tours. That is basically the bottom line - one saves a tremendous amount of money by scheduling private tours. Most of our tours will be with only a total of 10-12 fellow travelers, and in each case, the tour companies have confirmed that we will be back at our ship no later than an hour before ship departure. Could something happen to cause a delay, yes, but as others have mentioned, the tour companies are very much aware of the internet, Cruise Critic, and how they would be put out of business with poor reviews.

We are cruised a few times and used private tours all over the world with no problems and end up with a lot of extra money in our pocket as a result. :)

In April, 2012 I DH and I went on a very port intensive week long cruise. We didn't take any ship sponsored excursions and had no problems. In St. Thomas we went to the aquarium and Coki beach, taking cabs both ways without a problem. In St. Marten we went to Saphire Beach, then shopping and a late lunch on the French side of the island, again using taxis and had no issues. On St Kitts we went to a plantation, shopping in the downtown area, and lunch, and again had no problems. In Barbados we went shopping in the downtown area, to a rum distillery, and to an wildlife preserve taking taxis and not a problem. In St Lucia we went downtown shopping, had lunch, and went to the beach again using local taxis without any issues. We will do more of the same on our next cruise.

I choose independent tours about 90% of the time and only once came close to missing. We were on a catamaran snorkel and beach tour, the same one offered by the cruise line but at 40% less. The currents as we were sailing back north to Puerto Vallarta were much stronger than usual and the cat was having a heck of a time. Well, the Captain of the cat was concerned we would miss the cruise and he had his first mate pull up the power boat the had in tow to transfer guests from cat to beach. We hopped in and skipped across the ocean the last 30 mins back into PV. We walked onto the gangway about 3:55 for a 4:00 sail away. PHEW! As our ship cleared the PV harbor on our way out to sea, we saw the cat just entering the harbor. We were mentally prepared to taxi to PV airport and find a flight to Cabo. Fortunately we made it by a nose.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

I've been reading the boards obsessively and understand the pros/cons of ship sponsored excursions and independent excursions. The main risk that is mentioned is being left if the independent excursion is delayed and doesn't return in time to catch the ship.

I'm curious if anyone here (or someone you know personally) has actually experienced something like this. We are trying to decide on excursions and how much risk we want to take;).

Thanks!!

We were on a Holland America sponsored excursion in Puerto Madryn, Argentina. We were two passengers of the bus of approx. 50 - 60 people. On the way to our destination, the driver stopped to help fix the flat on another bus which help to add time to our excursion. After we left our tour, we had a long ride back and of course, the traffic was very, very heavy. We were all quite concerned and the tour guide assured us that she had been in contact with the ship and that it was waiting. We were about 55 minutes late and when we arrived, there was the ship,,,,waiting. They quickly got us aboard the ship and we went straight to our cabin, to the balcony and saw that the ship was already well away from the port.

We ALWAY take ship sponsored excursions and this experience has insured that we always will. :)

I imagine it's the quality of private excursions that makes the difference. We've had wonderful experiences with private excursions arranged through our CC roll call groups. Always pays to check Cruise Critic and Trip Advisor before selecting a private excursion.

If DH and I are traveling alone and not with friends or CC group, we use the ship's excursions. I remember being in Belize on the ATV jungle tour when one of the ATVs lost its transmission in the three foot ruts we were driving through. Sat there and thought how glad I was we were on a ship's tour.

Same cruise the ship waited some time for its plane excursion to Honduras ruins to return. On our December cruise, our excursion was late returning from the Dead Sea (long drive to Haifa) and the last gangway was pulled up just after we got on.

This is wonderful information--you guys are making me feel much better about looking into non-ship sponsored excursions.

We are looking at highly rated tour operators in the Bahamas, with organized tours. We aren't drinkers, and are one of those families that is always on time or early whereever we go, so I think we will be fine.

It is very reassuring to see that no one on the boards has missed a sailing:)

Don't get too excited yet.

Total Cruisecritic Members represent only 1% or 2% of total cruisers.

The number of people who have responded to this post are not even 1% of that 1%.

You should be more shocked if someone who actually was left behind had read this post and responded to it.

One more consideration.

Many American cruisers do not have passports.

If you are traveling with a birth certificate and driving license, and your independent tour is late and you miss the ship, there is a very good chance that the country you are in will not allow you to board a plane to fly to the next port.

There is also a 100% chance that you will not be allowed to fly back to the USA (until you spend a lot of time and money getting an emergency passport).

I always book non sponsored tours right when we dock so we get it out of the way and if there's any issues the rest of the day is there to fix it :) Plus I swear I've seen on one or two sites that some even have guarantee's that you won't miss your ship, but I don't know how they back it up or if they really do. If I even did a super long far away tour I might be more inclined to do the ship one. But so far (knock on wood especially for our upcoming March cruise) we'll be just as safe as my past cruises!

If you've never cruised/done excursions before definitely do ship the first time or two til you see how it runs. Once you feel comfortable and you see something you wouldn't be able to do ship sponsored, try it out, just schedule your time, check reviews and ask as many questions as needed until you feel comfortable (for the most part anyways!). :p

Don't get too excited yet.

Total Cruisecritic Members represent only 1% or 2% of total cruisers.

The number of people who have responded to this post are not even 1% of that 1%.

You should be more shocked if someone who actually was left behind had read this post and responded to it.

Hi Bruce,

You & I & others have been on many many cruises, & mixed with others who've been on many many more cruises, & we've been on these boards for a very very long time

Any CC contributor who's missed a sailing while on a private tour is surely not going to keep quiet about it. So by your figures 1 or 2% of those occasions would appear on these boards.

Yet I've seen not one. Not one, out of thousands of posts by folks about their experiences.

Nor have you, with your long professional cruise ship background, mentioned one instance of cruisers on a private tour from your ship missing a sailing, or of your coming across such a thing on CC.

Nor have I even heard about such a thing elsewhere on my cruising travels, not first-hand, not second-hand, not even tenth-hand.

Not saying it's never happened, in fact as my earlier post I've no doubt it has.

But let's all please put the risks in perspective.

Especially on a board for "first time cruisers".

I cringe when I see long & sometimes frantic threads about what happens if the ship sinks, pickpockets in Barca or Rome, medical evacuations, re-patriations, pirates, physical dangers in Cairo or Athens or London, etc ad infinitum.

And I wonder how many potential cruisers, or those planning a land vacation overseas, or as in this thread those considering private tours, are put off because such dangers are blown waaaay out of proportion.

Several folk on this thread, including yours truly, have made the point that the choice will be the individual cruiser's comfort level.

But that comfort level needs to be based on realistic prospects of a problem, not over-hyped risks.

Otherwise none of us would dare walk out of our own front doors.:rolleyes:

Guess we'll have to agree to differ, Bruce ;)

Kind regards

JB :)

Definitely food for thought. . .

In our case, we are not necessarily considering an independent excursion to save money (it is cheaper, but only by about $100) but the combination of activities available that aren't offered on any of the ship offered excursions. Specifically, we are looking at a kayak/snorkel excursion in Freeport using a highly rated tour provider. Our next port would be Nassau.

I know there is some risk involved, and it is helpful so get some perspective on how much risk that is.

I appreciate all the input and information that will help us make our decision as we approach our cruise date.

As others have said, it's a good idea to weigh the risks (usually pretty small, since the private companies have a reputation to uphold), have a good Plan B ready, and know your comfort zone. In 14 cruises, we have taken many private tours and never missed the ship, or even come close. The only time we've been late was on a ship's tour, and the ship waited for us.

The only people I've seen miss the ship, and I've seen a few over the years, and many near misses who were really cutting it fine, were individuals, couples, and a family or two. No groups who appeared to be independent tour groups.

We love to hang over the railings and watch for latecomers. Will they make it? Will they be left behind? We never jeer, but just enjoy the drama.

Forty years do extensive travel have simply taught us that we do not like excursions! To us, being trapped on a bus with. Group of 50 fellow cruisers is akin to be part of a herd on a cattle drive. DW and I enjoy doing what we want, when we want, with whom we want. This means going off on our own (nearly anywhere in the world) unless a tour is the only possible alternative. On a recent 62 day cruise to 31 ports of 13 countries we did take 2 excursions....and did the other 29 ports on our own. We probably saved over $5000 on tours...saw many things not even available on excursions.....had time to relax and sample wine/cuisine in a dozen countries (and not at large restaurants that cater to bus tours) etc. It's all about choices. By the way,,,,if you hang around the tour desk or Guest Relations on most cruises....a majority of the whiners are complaining about their excursions. Independent travel is not for everyone.... But it's very rewarding for those of us with a spirit of adventure.

Hank

We have sailed on both large and small ships. We've found that the ship excursions on the large ships are like cattle calls, and with very few exceptions would never take one again.

We took a few ships excursions on our small ship cruise this past summer, we were generally a group of 10-20, so very manageable and quite enjoyable. We did the majority of the ports on our own, either just walking to what we wanted to see, or taking public transportation.

We have never been left behind in a port. But we have been on several ship excursions that got back to the ship late -- and our ship was waiting for us.

I have read quite a reports where people have been left behind -- some people just don't keep track of time.

You have decide for yourself if you feel secure taking non-ship excursions.

We always plan on being back on the ship an hour before it leaves--although in a port like Kotor where you are only a five minute walk back to the pier at any given point we might push it to 30 minutes. We always make sure we have a watch set to ships time before we get off.

With few exceptions, we have always done private tours. I check out the tour companies on CC first to get a pretty clear idea of who is good and who is not. We have also used shoretrips.com in ports all over the place, and they always use highly reputable providers wherever they operate. Yes people miss ships, but I will agree with many posters that these are (I would be exclusively) people who are off on their own, and lose track of the time. Private tour operators know the ships' schedules as well as the cruise lines, and most of them guarantee that if they are late, and you would miss the ship, they will get you to the next port. I have never heard of anyone cashing in on that guarantee. One screw up, the company would be out of business.

While CC'ers are a distinct minority, the private operators not only protect their own reputations, but they monitor CC as well, in most cases. They know what would happen if they ever missed a ship.

I agree that there are myths about people being left from tours, but I have never heard of a single documented case of a private tour being too late getting back.

A small tour in a small van or car can generally get around traffic better than a big bus.

The advantages of a small, private tour are many: getting more time to converse with the guide; being able to do things not on a fixed itinerary; being comfortable; getting much more done due to the small party size; going places big groups cannot, etc. For us, there has rarely been a question.

I have heard of two couples that took a ship excursion. It returned them to the ship. They walked over to the nearby shops and forgot about the ship as it sailed away without them

Oh dear, Paul, some folk shouldn't be roaming loose without their nurse. :rolleyes:

JB :D

we were on a private tour in St. thomas. Actually, we had just hopped a private taxi at the pier. the driver was great-took us all around the island. We were heading back to the ship when---------- oops----- engine overheated!!! We were in an isolated area. Driver called for help from his company. Took over an hour in the boriling heat until another taxi finally rescued us. We literally had to run up the gangway. We were "chided" by the crew letting us on about 'cutting it so close".

When you are with the ships tours they are responsible for getting you back to the ship on time. It's a long story but on one shore excursion through the ship in Sweden, there were 5 busses going to the same place. On the way back to the ship, there was an accident on the road. We sat for 2 hrs with the drivers frantically talking to eachother and the ship. the ship could only wait until 6PM because the tides would change and the ship would be grounded if it didn't leave. The tour guide assured us if the worst case scenario happened and we missed the ship, they would put us on an overnight ferry to the next port and pay for all our expenses. The police finally cleared a path for the buses and we raced with the clock ticking to the ship. It was 5:55 PM. The ship lowered both gangways and we were told to "run as fast as we could" up the gangways. When the last passenger made it onboard, the gangways came up and the ship pulled away. All the passengers on the ship were watching and cheering as we raced against the clock. The captain announced our arrival on the PA and dinner was delayed 30 minutes. Had we been on our own, we would have been "SOL".

I have never felt like cattle on the tours and find while they are somewhat overpriced, they are the safest way to go:)

I noticed something above that probably needs to be emphasized and that is time zones.

Many (most?) ships go into a different time zone. Sometimes the ship will change its clocks and be on the same time as the port. Usually, the time in port is referred to as Local Time, while on the ship it is called Ship Time. If the two are different, the ship will arrive and sail based on Ship Time. Always be sure your watch is on Ship Time when you leaave the ship. Do not depend on a cell phone for the time. They will automatically update when you change time zones.

On my last cruise about 20 of us from the roll call booked a private excursion up the coast by powerboat. The captain was under the impression we had to be back AT 3:30. I said, no, BY 3:30.

At 3:25 we were roaring across the bay at some ridiculous speed and then running down the pier (or sauntering, in some cases) to get back to the ship in time for the 4:00 departure. I was the first person off the powerboat, and the youngest aboard, and I thought briefly about doing a bit of shopping at the little welcome center while the others got off the powerboat. But I didn't want to be THAT passenger.

And after I and most of the people rushed down the pier to get back on the ship, quite a few of the others stopped to shop for 10-15 minutes! :rolleyes:

We had several copies of the ship's paper with us, with the port agent's phone numbers, and I suppose being on a powerboat we could have always tried to catch the ship had it left without us! But we cut it way too close.

I decide based on the port and how long we're there. On a short stay I'm more likely to do a ship's tour if I'm venturing away from the ship. On longer stays I'm more adventurous, especially if I'm with a group from my roll call. As a solo I'm not inclined to get into a cab by myself.

Archived