Vacations that rival cruising

Sweetdreams

We spend at least 2 weeks every year relaxing at Holden Beach, NC. No schedules, some golfing, some kite flying, and lots of laziness at the beach.

I personally enjoy this even more than cruising. Not to say I dont love cruising, but its a totally different experience.

I'm a real big fan of just being lazy at the beach....

Tim

Have tried land tours, but they can be very tiring - up early to catch the bus, repacking almost every night, etc.

I like train tours, but my wife can only put up with being on a train for about 36 hrs.

Much prefer a cruise ship, with lots of sea days!

We have done an equal number of land tours and cruises (8 and 8). We enjoy land tours equally with cruises. If you have time in a given place, you get a more in depth visit then with the short stops on a cruise. For example, on a Scandinavian land tour, we were able to spend four days in St. Petersburg (still not enough!). Most of our lanfd tours have been with GCT. Many of their tours allow for up to six days in one place so you don't have to say "Today is Tuesday, so we're in ...", and the amount of bus travel is limited.

Pre-cruise excursions.....we've done it several times, just this past January in Peru, with a six day Lima, Cuzco, Machu Picchu adventure, b/4 joining the Crystal Symphony in Chile, and, last year, a two day Iguassu falls sojourn b/4 joining the Seabourn Pride in Buenos Aires.

We've also done several days pre-cruise in Venice, Barcelona, and Alaska, and, plans call for three or four day visits in Bangkok, Beijing and Sydney for '05, '06 and '07!

I'm with Tim. For me, nothing in this world beats time spent by the beach. Some of our favorite vacations have been spent at small resorts by the sea.

I have friends who have stayed at Holden Beach and it would be my cup of tea for sure. Right now I'm looking a rentals for a month on a lake or along the New England seashore. That's my idea of bliss ... a little cottage by the sea or cabin on a lake:D .

I love cruising, but it is definitely not my favorite vacation ... I should add it once was, but not anymore:o .

I took my daughter to Disney World in 1974 and this had to be the best. I think my wife and I enjoyed it more than she did.

I grew up on the East coast and watched all the Disney shows and dreamed of going to Disney Land. This was like waiting for the Millionare to knock on the door and give me a million bucks. There was no way in the world my parents could take us to Disney Land. Taking that trip to Disney World was a dream come true.

Since many cruisers have similar expectations for vacation experiences, what other vacation experiences or adventures have you enjoyed "nearly" as much as cruising?

This is gonna sound stupid ... but writer's conferences. I love them ... even on land. In fact, that's how I "discovered" cruising. Went to a writer's conference that was being held onboard the Rotterdam. But, I still enjoy writer's and publisher's conferences ... even when they take place on land in a nice hotel.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I love cruising more than anything but i did take a land tour to the Canadian Rockies and that was outstandingly beautiful. No matter where you looked it was fantastic. I would wish that everybody would have a chance to see that.

We have also enjoyed our land tours. We always do driving tours and although I get tired of sitting in the car, the scenery inplaces like the Canadian Rockies is so fantastic that it is worth it. We also like to stay in B&B's as a different flavor from cruising. However, we do plan a lot more cruising vacations than land vacations. Just love those sea days! And getting to know other people on the cruise!

I enjoy both cruising and land-based vacations ... with a slight edge to cruising. Our land vacations are fixed-destinations, meaning we arrive and unpack and don't repack until it's time to go home. We use that destination as a hub for going out on day trips to visit other places. I definitely do NOT enjoy living out of a suitcase.

I spent three months one summer travelling around Europe using a Eurorail pass and staying in youth hostels. I did this while in college (early 1970s) and my entire 100 day trip ro travel, food, lodging, etc. (including air fare) was $800. I attending the Olympic Games in Munich, Germany, Wimbolden tennis tournament, Grand Prix Races, etc. It was the vacation of a lifetime.

Ray

I'm at the point in my life that I appreciate the benefits of cruising (unpacking only once....no running for planes or trains or buses to get from one place to another, and those lovely lazy sea days) That said, I think the best vacation I ever had was a photo safari in Africa....where we were in jeeps, on small planes, and living out of a small duffle bag. I'd drop everything and do it again in a minute!

I wouldn't say that it rival cruiseing. but every once in a while a few days in Las Vegas or New Orleans can be pretty fun :) :) :)

And of course anywhere I can plop myself on a beach chair and do nothing is pretty great too :)

I wouldn't say that it rival cruiseing. but every once in a while a few days in Las Vegas or New Orleans can be pretty fun :) :) :)

And of course anywhere I can plop myself on a beach chair and do nothing is pretty great too :)

We enjoy our European trips (usually once in 2 years).

Our friends live in Aachen (Germany), this town is right on the boarder of Netherlands, Belgium and Germany. We usually fly to Amsterdam (or Paris) rent a car and drive to Aache... Then every day we do trips (kind of like during the cruise ;) )

For example last time (2003) we went to Antwerpen, Brugge, Brussel, Ghent, Grottes , (Belgium), Maastricht and Amsterdam ( Holland), Paris and then some German cities like Cologne etc.

This year we want to see Hague, Rotterdam..maybe even drive to Copenhagen (if we stay with our other friends in Kiel).

There is something very exciting about European surroundings! Maybe because we grew up behind Iron Curtains.... and always wanted to see it ? I am absolutely in love with it's architecture.

We enjoy all sorts of vacations. Whether it be beach holiday, a walking type holiday or a cruise.

We try to mix both cruising and land based vacations. We have done both Tours of Europe and also Independent travel which is fine but it is not a real holiday as you are always packing up and moving on.

In recent years we try to spend a couple of weeks in one spot and unpack and just relax which is heavenly. We always have a fortnights break somewhere in Australia and usually at the beach.

We also take a cruise of at least 14 days at least once or twice a year as one of the reasons we enjoy cruising is that we can unpack and enjoy our time on board as well as visit interesting places.

Any excuse to travel is a bonus.

Jennie

We enjoy our European trips (usually once in 2 years).

We usually fly to Amsterdam...... Maastricht and Amsterdam ( Holland), There is something very exciting about European surroundings! Maybe because we grew up behind Iron Curtains.... and always wanted to see it ? I am absolutely in love with it's architecture.

Hi Tatka, couldn't agree with you more. I was born and raised in Amsterdam and lived there until I was 18. Just spent 10 days in Holland getting re-aquainted. I'm going back in two months right before getting on the M/S Rotterdam on 07 AUG 05. I was planning on taking the train and visiting Maastricht in Limburg (never been there). Did you like Maastricht and do you have any recommendations for a one-day visit?

Вы

Take care and be safe!

John

I often enjoy a long weekend getaway to Palm Springs - where I can commandeer a lounge chair by the pool and lay in the sun all day, then take a nap and go out for dinner and cocktails w/ friends in the evenings...

...and nobody ever complains when I reserve my lounge chair w/ a book and a towel!!! ;)

Archived