Question about possible price drop on cruise a few weeks out.

Hello!

We're looking at a cruise leaving in a couple weeks. The interior cabins appear to be nearly gone but there are around 40ish balconies left (our preference anyway).

That said; I'm wondering if they'll start to discount those balconies soon? As it is, they're much higher than the norm for a balcony.

So do they lower prices to somewhat reasonable rates or will they upgrade people first? Common sense tells me they'll drop the prices first and do upgrades later if they can't move them.

What do the experts have to say? Fairly new to the cruising scene but have fell in love! Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Hello!

We're looking at a cruise leaving in a couple weeks. The interior cabins appear to be nearly gone but there are around 40ish balconies left (our preference anyway).

That said; I'm wondering if they'll start to discount those balconies soon? As it is, they're much higher than the norm for a balcony.

So do they lower prices to somewhat reasonable rates or will they upgrade people first? Common sense tells me they'll drop the prices first and do upgrades later if they can't move them.

What do the experts have to say? Fairly new to the cruising scene but have fell in love! Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

The people who make those decisions have studied "Strategics".

You should never believe what you see on line as vacant cabins as being correct.

It is like buying Google shares you do not know if they are going to go up down or side ways.

I would be looking the other expenses air flights, hotels etc as well.

Glen

That's a hard one to answer. I have no idea how they go about their pricing. It is just a hit or miss. We booked a last minute cruise for 11 nights on the Explorer last November (a member's cruise at that) for $399 pp for inside cabin. Have never seen a discount that deep. If you think it is a good price, then book it, because the prices go up more than down.....Happy cruising.

Gwen :)

You should never believe what you see on line as vacant cabins as being correct.

I would be looking the other expenses air flights, hotels etc as well.

Glen

I can actually book any of the vacant cabins I mentioned. I think that's a good indication that they are available.

I already have air and condo taken care of. The balconies are just way too high currently (imo) so I'm a bit confused.

I can actually book any of the vacant cabins I mentioned. I think that's a good indication that they are available.

I already have air and condo taken care of. The balconies are just way too high currently (imo) so I'm a bit confused.

How do you know how many people are waiting for Balcony GTYs to be assigned?

On the other hand you do not know what they are not showing as being taken that could be empty.

Glen

How do you know how many people are waiting for Balcony GTYs to be assigned?

On the other hand you do not know what they are not showing as being taken that could be empty.

Glen

Yes, I know. Maybe allow a handful waiting to be assigned GTY's but still, showing 40ish is a lot.

You're also correct about the others as well. Hadn't thought about that.

I can't help but think there's going to have to be some pretty hefty price cutting soon. Maybe not? Pretty new to cruising but a travel veteran otherwise.

Yes, I know. Maybe allow a handful waiting to be assigned GTY's but still, showing 40ish is a lot.

You're also correct about the others as well. Hadn't thought about that.

I can't help but think there's going to have to be some pretty hefty price cutting soon. Maybe not? Pretty new to cruising but a travel veteran otherwise.

Can you please keep this post up to date with how things turn out either way.

thanks

Glen

I have 12 days until my next cruise.

Two weeks ago it looked like we would be sailing with all Suites empty.

Last week they all dropped in price.

I upgraded to a RFS for a good price.:) They only show RFS's if they're trying to sell them. You don't see them often. Freeing up 2 OV cabins (5 of us).

It's now booked out.

Just keep checking.

I have 12 days until my next cruise.

Two weeks ago it looked like we would be sailing with all Suites empty.

Last week they all dropped in price.

I upgraded to a RFS for a good price.:) They only show RFS's if they're trying to sell them. You don't see them often. Freeing up 2 OV cabins (5 of us).

It's now booked out.

Just keep checking.

I've seen this happen a fair amount - I would guess the rationale behind it is that someone who is already booked is more willing to spend more $$$ to get an upgraded cabin this close to sailing then to try to get a new booking to shell out the big bucks for a suite. Same rationale applies to upgrading insides to balconies, balconies to suites...

Odds are the last minute cruiser doesn't have a few grand sitting around to shell out on a suite but the person who has had it planned it for a year might go for the paid upgrade and then they can sell the original cabin of the upgradee for more than what they paid... Win win for the cruise line!

Sent from my Speak & Spell using Tapatalk

Can you please keep this post up to date with how things turn out either way.

thanks

Glen

Will do Glen. I'm pretty sold on RCI but if they don't get their act together on these price points we're planning on going cruising on the Carnival Dream. I hear all the negative things about Carnival and mostly believe them to be true.

That said; if RCI doesn't "get real" with their surplus of balconies we are going to cruise the Dream for a huge price difference and have a very nice location/balcony cabin.

I guess the OP is afraid to give out the ship and date info for fear of a "run" on reservations for their cruise:p:eek:

Not so much that (maybe a little bit, :)) but I guess I don't see the relevance. Admittedly, I may be completely wrong there. Explain why if I am please?

I guess I don't see the relevance and the facts in my OP are just that, facts.

Not so much that (maybe a little bit, :)) but I guess I don't see the relevance. Admittedly, I may be completely wrong there. Explain why if I am please?

I guess I don't see the relevance and the facts in my OP are just that, facts.

I think it has been some frequent cruisers experience watching prices on many sailings, that some bookings are more or less likely to reduce in price.

For example, I rarely see last minute steep discounts on Allure or Oasis (not that they don't ever, just not as often). However, I do see more steep last minutes discounts on Liberty. That's just an example. some folks may look it up for you and see what is available, along with the ship and be able to make a more informed opinion of what "might" occur pricing wise.

I think it has been some frequent cruisers experience watching prices on many sailings, that some bookings are more or less likely to reduce in price.

For example, I rarely see last minute steep discounts on Allure or Oasis (not that they don't ever, just not as often). However, I do see more steep last minutes discounts on Liberty. That's just an example. some folks may look it up for you and see what is available, along with the ship and be able to make a more informed opinion of what "might" occur pricing wise.

That is precisely correct. Without ship and sail date it's the question that irrelevant IMHO. Truly not trying to be snarky but there is literally no way to help without that info as much as I respect your right to not share.

Good luck either way!

That is precisely correct. Without ship and sail date it's the question that irrelevant IMHO. Truly not trying to be snarky but there is literally no way to help without that info as much as I respect your right to not share.

Good luck either way!

Thanks for the polite reply and good luck wish. Truly.

That said; reney's reply WAS indeed informative and relevant. If we're looking at Allure or Oasis I feel like there's not much chance at a reduction after that post. If it's on another ship, it seems there's a much better chance than the other two.

I gained some good info from that post imo....

OP... I am following your thread carefully as I am in a similar situation... Except that I am already booked and am now watching for price drops on a higher category in hopes of upgrading...

Beth C's post a few up is exactly the strategy I am counting on...

I'm also not sure what difference the specific ship makes... Though I concede that the date does matter - especially at this time of year...

I would also like to say that I completely agree with your Carnival vs. RC dilemma... My last two cruises were on Carnival as my traveling companion prefers them to RC and her status is higher there than mine is on RC at this time... While they were certainly nice cruises, I am looking forward to returning to RC to see what I've missed... In particular, 4 years ago on our last RC cruise, DH and I were very disappointed in the food in the MDR... So much so that we vowed if we cruised RC it would be nothing but specialty restaurants for us... Even if that meant booking a lesser cabin... I will say that the food on my last 2 Carnival cruises was such that I almost had DH convinced to give Carnival a try... The added bonus of being able to book a balcony for the price of an RC inside certainly made it tempting...

Then RC started rolling out their new menus and well, I just hope we aren't let down...

Don't know if you are familiar with this:

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Multi_Dest/Special_Offers/rci_sales_event.pdf

But if you are C&A, there have been some pretty good last minute deals the past few weeks... Even if you're not, it can be helpful...

Hello!

Thanks!

Have you looked at the Tuesday sale prices?

op... I am following your thread carefully as i am in a similar situation... Except that i am already booked and am now watching for price drops on a higher category in hopes of upgrading...

Beth c's post a few up is exactly the strategy i am counting on...

I'm also not sure what difference the specific ship makes... Though i concede that the date does matter - especially at this time of year...

I would also like to say that i completely agree with your carnival vs. Rc dilemma... My last two cruises were on carnival as my traveling companion prefers them to rc and her status is higher there than mine is on rc at this time... While they were certainly nice cruises, i am looking forward to returning to rc to see what i've missed... In particular, 4 years ago on our last rc cruise, dh and i were very disappointed in the food in the mdr... So much so that we vowed if we cruised rc it would be nothing but specialty restaurants for us... Even if that meant booking a lesser cabin... I will say that the food on my last 2 carnival cruises was such that i almost had dh convinced to give carnival a try... The added bonus of being able to book a balcony for the price of an rc inside certainly made it tempting...

Then rc started rolling out their new menus and well, i just hope we aren't let down...

Don't know if you are familiar with this:

http://www.creative.rccl.com/sales/royal/multi_dest/special_offers/rci_sales_event.pdf

but if you are c&a, there have been some pretty good last minute deals the past few weeks... Even if you're not, it can be helpful...

gmta! :)

It's circumstantial as always!

And subjective as to what to do.

Factually though,

We are on Mariner 1/27 Galveston balcony

Prices have been on interior the last couple of months

from 429 to 629 to 599 and today 499

And heck it may have changed again

since posting this.

Balcony's and suites have appeared as available

to not available twice. Outsides have been sold out for a long time.

Thanks much for that post amybear. :) We'll hang in there as long as we can because we do prefer RCI. That said; we've never gave Carnival a chance and think Dream "might" be worth it, if for nothing else, the experience!

We shall see. RCI is way off currently. We'll see what unfolds.

Thanks again for your post and contribution!

We are C&A fwiw.

Archived