What is the Caribbean like in July?

Tinkers70

Still trying to decide on wether to do a Caribbean cruise or a Med cruis next year in July.

Never been at this time before, we generally go to Florida in October and cruise the caribbean in October last year too.

Is the ships very crowded at this time of year? also what should I expect with the weather ?

Still trying to decide on wether to do a Caribbean cruise or a Med cruis next year in July.

Never been at this time before, we generally go to Florida in October and cruise the caribbean in October last year too.

Is the ships very crowded at this time of year? also what should I expect with the weather ?

Caribbean should be hot!

School kids are out for summer, ... so expect to see them ... and of course their parents.

Caribbean should be hot!

School kids are out for summer, ... so expect to see them ... and of course their parents.

I'm liking the sound of the heat:D

I don't mind the school kids as I have 2 of my own. Although mines are older and will be 16 and 12 when we go:)

I don't mind the school kids as I have 2 of my own. Although mines are older and will be 16 and 12 when we go:)

You sure are looking through rose colored glasses.

I guess you need to book a July Caribbean cruise for the experience.

You sure are looking through rose colored glasses.

I guess you need to book a July Caribbean cruise for the experience.

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to tell me here but I guess you'd advise against sailing in the first 2 weeks of July?

Okay then! Book it!

Hope you have a greta time.

Who's going 'bowling'? The Baltimore RAVENS!!!

HOT!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

When I sailed last July it was cooler in the Caribbean than it was in Baltimore!

Same here - this past July we went to the Bahamas to cool off after 108 degrees the day we arrived in Baltimore. The Bahamas was upper 80s for the most part.

With that said, last summer's heat wave was unusual. My other July experience was to the Eastern Caribbean. The only place it was truly awful was in San Juan. 90+ degree heat plus high humidity and it actually felt worse than the 108 we experienced in Baltimore (not much humidity that day.)

We had tried to do a walking tour of San Juan and made it to El Morro, then found a Ben & Jerry's and had ice cream to cool off inside, then skipped the rest and went back to the ship even though we love old san juan. You couldn't drink water fast enough to stay hydrated it was so hot and humid.

Mostly, though, you get the nice island breezes to keep things cooler and temps are pretty moderate in the Caribbean with mid-upper 80s.

As for kids, both those July sailings the ship was noticeably more packed with people from all the kids, but we didn't really run into any issues with them as most on our sailings happened to be pretty well behaved.

the weather in the caribbean in July is usually very hot with little or no breeze. gasoline and or air fare are the most expensive in july, kids are out of school in july, hotels are usually booked full in july, europe is 3 times as crowded with tourists in july.

for me its not the ideal time to travel either the med or the caribbean but if heat, crowds, and the high cost of transportation and lodging is not an issue, then have fun.

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to tell me here but I guess you'd advise against sailing in the first 2 weeks of July?

Having sailed in the summer, it's hotter than you can imagine, however there usually some breeze. Once you get hot and sweaty, you say oh, well and continue your day. Sure makes a shower feel good when you get back on board. Now, I prefer no summer cruises. Due to the volume of families and kids on board, relaxing by the pool or being in the pool isn't an option on sea days.

I guess it's what each person is okay with.

Part of it will matter where in the Caribbean you cruise in July. The Bahamas are fairly temperate but the Yucatan gets pretty hot and humid. (Though I thought it was bearable.) The Mediterranean gets hot too though and you're talking about a totally different experience so I wouldn't base the decision from the temperature, go with what fits your budget and travel personalities. (Having gone to Italy last summer, I would pick the Mediterranean anytime! :D)

If time is a factor, Caribbean trips are usually a shorter duration and if you live in the US also quicker to get to. European cruises are going to cost you about the same for airfare as the cost of the cruise, they usually go for 10 - 14 days, plus add on an extra couple of days for traveling.

Thank you for all the replies so far. I'll take onboard everyone's opinions about the weather etc:)

Coming from Scotland in the UK it's very cold here so when we go on holiday (vacation) we look forward to it being hot. Right now we have lots of snow and our summer stays cool and we generally have lots of rain:mad:

I've priced up both Mediteranean and caribbean cruises (based on this year's prices) and although we are only a 2 hour flight away from the Med ports it's still working out cheaper for us to do a Caribbean cruise (14 night B2B)

Once the cruise dates/ship/itineries become available for July 2014 i'll price things up and hopefully make our decision

The ships during the summer in the Caribbean are very quiet, and normally sail about 10% full, and the weather is usually very cold, upper teen's, with lots of snow and ice. Expect blizzards and frigid temps in the Caribbean in July.

I don't like heat, anything over 75 I think is hot and generally to be avoided whenever possible, especially around here in the middle of the east coast, gets so thick and muggy during the summer it's hard to breathe and clothes stick to you.

So I was concerned when we booked a cruise last June for my birthday on the 21st. Sadly with kids it's the only time we can cruise since we refuse to take them (she's 7 and easy, he's 6 and I would probably toss him overboard at some point) with us and miss our relaxation and fun because we're dealing with them. While it was hot on our ports it wasn't nearly as uncomfortable as stepping outside here that same time of year. Much lower humidity and a slight breeze made it easily tolerable.

I live in the south and it gets really hot (humidity) here...but last July in the Bahamas it was a kind of HOT I have never felt before!!! :eek: I enjoyed myself but, oh my, couldn't wait to get back to the cabin for a shower.

HOT! HOT! HOT! Just like the song.

Archived