Wonderful Copenhagen

My wife and I are going to visit Copenhagen for the first time in early June. Will spend 3 nights in this city before a cruise and one night afterward. Plan to tour the city on our own and would like to get a sanity check of my plan, ask some questions, and also solicit suggestions.

Schedule and logistics: Flight land at CPH around 1:30 PM on Day 1, hotel about 500 m from the central train station in the city with about half the distance in pedestrain-only streets. Bought 3-day Copenhagen Cards. Cruise ship leave dock C330 at Oceankaj pier (Unicef) at 5pm on Day 4.

Rough plan:

Day 1 - take S-tog from CPH to the central train station then stroll to the hotel. After checking-in, plan to use bus 11A to get near Gammel Strand to take a canal tour, then wonder around before touring Tivoli, get dinner there, then go back to the hotel.

Day 2 - No concrete plan, but would like to take the free walking tour starting at 11 am in front of the city hall. Also like to visit the attractions such as Nynhavn, Amalienborg Palace and museum, Marble Church, Christiansborg Palace, Royal Reception Rooms, Rundetaarn, Rosenborg Castle, Christianshavn, Our Saviour Church, and possibly Copenhagen Zoo.

Day 3 - If weather cooperates, would like to visit some places outside the city such as Kronborg Castle and Frederiksborg Palace/garden/ferry with train rides in a circular loop. Then return to the city and visit more attractions if we missed some in Day 2, and maybe spend another dinner and evening at Tivoli Garden.

Day 4 - May wonder around the lakes near the hotel before taking bus #26 toward Unicef before noon. Board the ship.

At the end of the cruise, we will spend one more night at Copenhagen at a hotel near Norreport Metro Station before catching a flight the next day. We are planning to buy a one-day transportation pass to use to tour the city some more and get us to CPH the next morning. We may use this last day (happens to be a Sunday) to visit some free attractions such as Little Mermaid, Glyptoteket Art Museum, Danish National Museum, and Frederiksberg Garden.

My questions:

o Is the above plan reasonable? Or am I too greedy/ambitious for the number of attractions in my plan? Is there any suggestion for the order in visiting those attractions for the most efficient use of our time?

o I saw at some websites that there will be a sand sculpture festival in Copenhagen again, as in 2013. Could someone confirm this and provide the address of the site?

o Is it reasonable to roll our luggage (one large suitcase on wheels per person) between the train station and the hotel, and later from the hotel to the bus 26 stop (next to the train station)? Or would we look weird on the street rolling our suitcases so it's better to take a taxi for the rather short distance?

Thanks in advance.

I would like to make a appropriate answer to this post so I will post back later.

Just a few quickies, can you post the departure date because the bus doesn´t run on all days.

Glyptoteket is not free.

And no, you wouldn´t look stupid with your suitcases. :D

THe front of the terminal where the check in is.

temporary_zps0993cb40.jpg

The check in counters are to the right, Waiting area is behind the windows

temporary_zps443ef6da.jpg

The luggage drop off is on the right side of the terminal.

temporary_zpse8f2f201.jpg

A AIDA cruise ship is docked at Langelinie Pier, One of the cruise ferrys to Oslo the Pearl Seaways is to the right.

temporary_zpsf0f93185.jpg

Terminal 2 and 3 is located further away from the bus stop from where this picture is taken.

temporary_zps126f3c6c.jpg

I would like to make a appropriate answer to this post so I will post back later.

Just a few quickies, can you post the departure date because the bus doesn´t run on all days.

Glyptoteket is not free.

And no, you wouldn´t look stupid with your suitcases. :D

The ship will depart from Oceankaj C330 on June 6, Friday, so we should be okay with bus #26 to Unicef. The ship will be back to C330 on June 15th, Sunday. Since I have read messages from you before about the lack of bus service from Unicef on weekend, we plan to take a taxi to the Nordhavn station then take metro to the hotel.

I double checked the web site of Glyptoteket (http://www.glyptoteket.dk/) and confirmed that it is free on Sunday (the day we disembark from the ship). We could also try to visit it earlier when our Copenhagen Card was effective as long as we could spare the time.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Replaced "metro" with "S-tog". Kept getting mixed up with the different forms of transportation for a place I have never been to.

The ship will depart from Oceankaj C330 on June 6, Friday, so we should be okay with bus #26 to Unicef. The ship will be back to C330 on June 15th, Sunday. Since I have read messages from you before about the lack of bus service from Unicef on weekend, we plan to take a taxi to the Nordhavn station then take S-tog to the hotel near Norreport.

I double checked the web site of Glyptoteket (http://www.glyptoteket.dk/) and confirmed that it is free on Sunday (the day we disembark from the ship). We could also try to visit it earlier when our Copenhagen Card was effective as long as we could spare the time.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Hi Danish Viking - Happy Birthday (it is today isn't it?)

Thank you for the fantastic service you provide to all those on Cruise Critic. I’ve just finished reading the thread and your information has been invaluable for planning our transport and day’s sightseeing.

We will be aboard Cunard Line’s, Queen Victoria which is scheduled to dock at C190 – Langeline pier Copenhagen Malmö Port on Thursday, 17 July from 9.00 am until 5.00 pm.

We’re planning to walk from dock C190 Langelinie Pier, along the waterfront taking in the sights: Little Mermaid; Kastellet; Gefion fountain; Frihedsmuseet (disappointed that the museum is currently closed, due to fire damage); Amalienborg Slot; Marmorkirken and then maybe detour to walk through Kongens Have to Rosenborg Slot and back to Nyhavn for a canal cruise with Netto Bådene (if busy will walk to the Holmens canal departure point). Afterwards enjoy the architecture of the buildings around Kongens Nytorv; walk the pedestrianized Strøget (if we walked briskly, we might be able to detour to see Rundetårn and the sculptures in Vor Frue Kirke); at Rådhuspladsen we will have a quick look inside Rådhus and then pay the entrance fee to stroll through Tivoli Gardens. Afterwards we plan to catch bus 26 back to the port.

Danish Viking - Is our planned walk achievable within our time in port? Jokingly - maybe we’re best to pack the roller skates in the backpack as we don’t want to miss sail away now do we! Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Where is the location of the bus stop, nearest to Tivoli, to board bus 26 (B departure) for the return journey to Indiakaj bus stop at the bottom of Langelinie pier?

Lastly, to ensure that I have the latest bus timetables, would you kindly post the link to the Monday-Friday timetable for bus 26 from Indiakaj bus stop into the city and the Monday-Friday timetable for bus 26 (B departures) for the return journey to Indiakaj.

When convenient, I look forward to hearing from you … enjoy your special day celebrating with family and friends!:)

Yes it is today and thank you.

Today all Buildings and Busses has the danish flag waving because we celebrate that the German occupation in WW2 ended.

But in my head they do it for me :D

I will look at your itinerary when I get the time.

We will be in Copenhagen on July 4th; are there any gatherings to celebrate? (Wasn't sure if any American citizens living there celebrated...)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

There is one at Rebild Bakke (Rebild Hill) in northern Jylland but that is 3-4 hours away from Copenhagen.

My wife and I are going to visit Copenhagen for the first time in early June. Will spend 3 nights in this city before a cruise and one night afterward. Plan to tour the city on our own and would like to get a sanity check of my plan, ask some questions, and also solicit suggestions.

Schedule and logistics: Flight land at CPH around 1:30 PM on Day 1, hotel about 500 m from the central train station in the city with about half the distance in pedestrain-only streets. Bought 3-day Copenhagen Cards. Cruise ship leave dock C330 at Oceankaj pier (Unicef) at 5pm on Day 4.

Rough plan:

Day 1 - take S-tog from CPH to the central train station then stroll to the hotel. After checking-in, plan to use bus 11A to get near Gammel Strand to take a canal tour, then wonder around before touring Tivoli, get dinner there, then go back to the hotel.

Day 2 - No concrete plan, but would like to take the free walking tour starting at 11 am in front of the city hall. Also like to visit the attractions such as Nynhavn, Amalienborg Palace and museum, Marble Church, Christiansborg Palace, Royal Reception Rooms, Rundetaarn, Rosenborg Castle, Christianshavn, Our Saviour Church, and possibly Copenhagen Zoo.

Day 3 - If weather cooperates, would like to visit some places outside the city such as Kronborg Castle and Frederiksborg Palace/garden/ferry with train rides in a circular loop. Then return to the city and visit more attractions if we missed some in Day 2, and maybe spend another dinner and evening at Tivoli Garden.

Day 4 - May wonder around the lakes near the hotel before taking bus #26 toward Unicef before noon. Board the ship.

At the end of the cruise, we will spend one more night at Copenhagen at a hotel near Norreport Metro Station before catching a flight the next day. We are planning to buy a one-day transportation pass to use to tour the city some more and get us to CPH the next morning. We may use this last day (happens to be a Sunday) to visit some free attractions such as Little Mermaid, Glyptoteket Art Museum, Danish National Museum, and Frederiksberg Garden.

My questions:

o Is the above plan reasonable? Or am I too greedy/ambitious for the number of attractions in my plan? Is there any suggestion for the order in visiting those attractions for the most efficient use of our time?

o I saw at some websites that there will be a sand sculpture festival in Copenhagen again, as in 2013. Could someone confirm this and provide the address of the site?

o Is it reasonable to roll our luggage (one large suitcase on wheels per person) between the train station and the hotel, and later from the hotel to the bus 26 stop (next to the train station)? Or would we look weird on the street rolling our suitcases so it's better to take a taxi for the rather short distance?

Thanks in advance.

I have no notes to day one.

The walking tour on day 2 will most probably take you to most places on your list.

If you have time for Christianshavn and Our Saviors Church then see if you can find time to visit the freetown Christiania.

But you will probably not have the time to visit the tower at the church.

Christianshavn and Christiania does of course not have any closings time so they could be visited in the evening when all the other things is closed.

THE TOWER:

Monday - Saturday 10am-4pm

Sun- and Holidays 10:30am-4pm

The tower closes for admittance at 3:45pm.

At heavy rainfalls, snow or wind the tower closes temporarily for safety reasons.

The ZOO is also out of the question because of time constraint

Day 3 looks wonderful and can be done by train all the way.

My favourite version is to start in Hillerød and the Frederiksborg Palace and end in Helsingør/Elsinore with Kronborg Castle and/or maritime museum because the trains going back to Copenhagen are more comfy and thats good after a long day. :D

Its the same Øresund trains that also runs between the airport an central station.

From Copenhagen to Hillerød you just take S-train line E, it terminates in Hillerød so you can´t go wrong.

From Hillerød to Helsingør you just take the lokalbanen train.

I can make a more detailed route plan if you want to.

Day 4 also looks wonderful, all the juggers and runners uses the lakes on their running routes.

The post cruise plan looks doable.

Hi Danish Viking - Happy Birthday (it is today isn't it?)

Thank you for the fantastic service you provide to all those on Cruise Critic. I’ve just finished reading the thread and your information has been invaluable for planning our transport and day’s sightseeing.

We will be aboard Cunard Line’s, Queen Victoria which is scheduled to dock at C190 – Langeline pier Copenhagen Malmö Port on Thursday, 17 July from 9.00 am until 5.00 pm.

We’re planning to walk from dock C190 Langelinie Pier, along the waterfront taking in the sights: Little Mermaid; Kastellet; Gefion fountain; Frihedsmuseet (disappointed that the museum is currently closed, due to fire damage); Amalienborg Slot; Marmorkirken and then maybe detour to walk through Kongens Have to Rosenborg Slot and back to Nyhavn for a canal cruise with Netto Bådene (if busy will walk to the Holmens canal departure point). Afterwards enjoy the architecture of the buildings around Kongens Nytorv; walk the pedestrianized Strøget (if we walked briskly, we might be able to detour to see Rundetårn and the sculptures in Vor Frue Kirke); at Rådhuspladsen we will have a quick look inside Rådhus and then pay the entrance fee to stroll through Tivoli Gardens. Afterwards we plan to catch bus 26 back to the port.

Danish Viking - Is our planned walk achievable within our time in port? Jokingly - maybe we’re best to pack the roller skates in the backpack as we don’t want to miss sail away now do we! Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Where is the location of the bus stop, nearest to Tivoli, to board bus 26 (B departure) for the return journey to Indiakaj bus stop at the bottom of Langelinie pier?

Lastly, to ensure that I have the latest bus timetables, would you kindly post the link to the Monday-Friday timetable for bus 26 from Indiakaj bus stop into the city and the Monday-Friday timetable for bus 26 (B departures) for the return journey to Indiakaj.

When convenient, I look forward to hearing from you … enjoy your special day celebrating with family and friends!:)

Skip the round tower and Hvor Frue Kirke because of time constrain, Do the same with Kongens Nytorv because its just a big construction site atm.

Here is my suggested walking route to Nyhavn

https://www.google.dk/maps/dir/Langeliniekaj,+2100+K%C3%B8benhavn/The+Little+Mermaid,+Langelinie,+2100+K%C3%B8benhavn+%C3%98/Gefion+Fountain,+Churchillparken,+1263+K%C3%B8benhavn/Churchillparken,+7,+1263+K%C3%B8benhavn+K/Amalienborg,+Amalienborg+Slotsplads,+1257+K%C3%B8benhavn+K/Marble+Church,+Frederiksgade+4,+1265+K%C3%B8benhavn/Rosenborg+Castle,+%C3%98ster+Voldgade+4A,+1350+K%C3%B8benhavn/Nyhavn,+1051+Copenhagen/@55.6888416,12.5712821,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m55!4m54!1m5!1m1!1s0x465252dd08649a7d:0x4e7b478417fecaf!2m2!1d12.6005375!2d55.6984283!1m5!1m1!1s0x464c90eb8d422103:0xdfa8900ca2351e3c!2m2!1d12.599258!2d55.692844!1m5!1m1!1s0x4652532092758a5d:0xca4f8b1b331039ae!2m2!1d12.597637!2d55.689328!1m10!1m1!1s0x46525313bfea9945:0x5077e5ea91cb43f9!2m2!1d12.59625!2d55.688148!3m4!1m2!1d12.5985248!2d55.6869883!3s0x465253213f560d71:0x72abdb4a45729bf4!1m5!1m1!1s0x46525322363e0673:0x5cf17fab9d15553f!2m2!1d12.59302!2d55.684059!1m5!1m1!1s0x46525318baa785bd:0x6aaec3bb37796fde!2m2!1d12.589566!2d55.684974!1m5!1m1!1s0x4652531b429e531d:0x52359c3345281b3c!2m2!1d12.577269!2d55.685827!1m5!1m1!1s0x4652533cd7fbc8c3:0x42e5ef91044ebd38!2m2!1d12.591804!2d55.679209!3e2

The bus timetable is here.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/dinrejse/koreplaner/Pages/Buslinje.aspx?direction_gid=9014200002610000&line_gid=9011200002600000&line_name=26&journey_gid=9025200000047225#navigate

The bus runs from the same corner of the town hall square as Tivoli, looks at 26 Langelinie, Søndre Frihavn on this map.

Tivoli is located where the Movia logo is.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/Terminalkort/r%C3%A5dhuspladsen_dag.pdf

Edited by Danish viking

Hi Danish Viking

I am arriving this Friday and board the Legend on Saturday. I will have May17th and then the 24th and depart the 25th to explore Copenhagen.

Looks like it may be rainy on Friday which we had planned to go to Tivoli. Any other ideas, staying close to Norreport Station. What does your local forecast say for Friday and Saturday?

Happy Birthday ! Have a great day, Karen

Happy Birthday Danish Viking! and thank you so much for all your time and efforts! We will be in your beautiful city in August. I can hardly wait for my 3 days to explore all the wonders of Copenhagen. How early can I buy the Copenhagen cards? Is there any time limits on them? Thanks so much:)

Hi Danish Viking

im on the Brillance in on 21Jun , ive been to Cph quite a few times ,never on a cruise so I have a fairly good idea about getting around , but for my wife this is the first time , so its interesting to see the bus details from Indiakaj.

I cant find on the forums if you have mentioned to people staying a day or so pre or post cruise , about what I think is better than Tivoli gardens , a place where the locals let their hairdown "Bakken" , easy journey by train to Klampenburg, then a pleasant walk through the forest to to the funpark,or for the romantic a horse draw carriage ride

Hi Danish Viking

I am arriving this Friday and board the Legend on Saturday. I will have May17th and then the 24th and depart the 25th to explore Copenhagen.

Looks like it may be rainy on Friday which we had planned to go to Tivoli. Any other ideas, staying close to Norreport Station. What does your local forecast say for Friday and Saturday?

Happy Birthday ! Have a great day, Karen

Look at the 3 til 9 døgns udsigt, Fredag and Lørdag is the one you´ll need to use, but it doen´t look that bad.

http://www.dmi.dk/vejr/til-lands/byvejr/by/vis/DK/1000/K%C3%B8benhavn,%20Danmark/

Remember that Friday in Tivoli means Fredagsrock at the outdoor stage.

This Friday local heroes Kato and Safri Duo will take the stage at 22:00

[YOUTUBE]Oys9b2H7kdc[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Danish viking

Happy Birthday Danish Viking! and thank you so much for all your time and efforts! We will be in your beautiful city in August. I can hardly wait for my 3 days to explore all the wonders of Copenhagen. How early can I buy the Copenhagen cards? Is there any time limits on them? Thanks so much:)

Thank you very much :D

It should be possible to buy now.

Edited by Danish viking

Hi ,we are travelling on the celebrity eclipse on 7th of June and we have only booked St Petersburg will Alla tours for 2 days, with reference to the other 5 ports of call can anyone recommend the best excursions in each port please i.e. Copenhagen , Stockholm, Tallinn, Klaipeda and Gadansk please!

These are all places we have not visited and the choices are so vast would appreciate help in narrowing down the choices and whether to use the celebrity official trips on some of these ?

Many thanks lions57:):)

Hello: Newbie here so I hope I don't embarrass myself by posting in the wrong place or repeating another request for help.

This is a major thread … Danish Viking has a wealth of knowledge and apparently boundless generosity … so I tried/failed to find the answer before posting.

We will be arriving in Copenhagen on June 1st and staying at the Palace Hotel for 2 nights.

I have contacted the hotel for private transfer from the port to the hotel - as well as from the hotel to the airport. It is kind of pricey. The concierge noted that a taxi is much less. Are taxis plentiful at the port?

We will be traveling on the Seabourn Quest and I think the pier is the Ocean Pier (c330) if that makes any difference.

We have a 10:50 departure with BA on the 3rd, so I assume getting a taxi will be a snap????

Pam

Hello: Newbie here so I hope I don't embarrass myself by posting in the wrong place or repeating another request for help.

This is a major thread … Danish Viking has a wealth of knowledge and apparently boundless generosity … so I tried/failed to find the answer before posting.

We will be arriving in Copenhagen on June 1st and staying at the Palace Hotel for 2 nights.

I have contacted the hotel for private transfer from the port to the hotel - as well as from the hotel to the airport. It is kind of pricey. The concierge noted that a taxi is much less. Are taxis plentiful at the port?

We will be traveling on the Seabourn Quest and I think the pier is the Ocean Pier (c330) if that makes any difference.

We have a 10:50 departure with BA on the 3rd, so I assume getting a taxi will be a snap????

Pam

There are many taxis at the port but does your cruise line says that its C330.

Also at your hotel there is taxis available.

According to the ports website (it could be outdated) the ships in Copenhagen that day are..

Seabourn Quest at C254 - Orientkaj

Mein Schiff I at C190 - Langeliniekaj

Costa Fortuna at C330 - Oceankaj

AIDAbella at C190 - Langeliniekaj

Hi ,we are travelling on the celebrity eclipse on 7th of June and we have only booked St Petersburg will Alla tours for 2 days, with reference to the other 5 ports of call can anyone recommend the best excursions in each port please i.e. Copenhagen , Stockholm, Tallinn, Klaipeda and Gadansk please!

These are all places we have not visited and the choices are so vast would appreciate help in narrowing down the choices and whether to use the celebrity official trips on some of these ?

Many thanks lions57:):)

In Copenhagen you could take one of the free ewalking tours from the town hall square at 11:00.

Yes it is today and thank you.

Today all Buildings and Busses has the danish flag waving because we celebrate that the German occupation in WW2 ended.

But in my head they do it for me :D

Yes! Happy Birthday! You are the best resource for planning a memorable Copenhagen stay and I hope we get to visit your wonderful country again.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app