Samana a Joke on US????

Big Feet

We were on the Explorer for the 1/13/13 sailing. DH and I chose to stay on board and did not go over to Samana. It was beautiful to look at from the ship. Before we left on the cruise, I was too caught up with work to do any research and just felt like everything I did read required some kind of physical ability. I'm not a senior yet, ok maybe a junior senior, but that was the big reason for us sitting it out. The day the ship was in port at Samana, while sitting at the theathre waiting for the show to begin, the couple sitting behind us was discussing their day. They had taken a taxi on the island that had been stopped by the locals. A rope was thrown across the road and the cab stopped and then the locals came up to them and asked for money. They felt imtimidated and gave them what they had. The next night our tablemates said that folks they knew who had been on a tour in Samana that involved eating food on one of the tours and they had been ill since and they felt it was related to what they ate. Lastly, DH and I were watching the tenders come back to the ship from Samana and saw some that were chalk a block full and rocking back and forth and looked like they could tip over. We did take a photo of them.

Before you flame me, please know that I'm just sharing the information we learned as a result of being on the cruise. That's all.

Hey skyedoggie,

Sorry we missed you on board. Maybe next time. We had a great time in Samana with Terry.

All the best,

Yes, that is what the police said. They said gypsies patrol the area and break into cars routinely. Neighbors in the area said there had been community meetings about what to do to stop the gypsies. Their words! The day before it happened to us, it happened to a priest in the exact same spot. They smashed his car window and took his briefcase off the back seat.

If you think our legal system and police are like Mexico and Haiti and many other places....:rolleyes: I'll take ours over theirs.

Actually YOU sound racist when you imply that people who aren't white can't afford lawyers. Do you think they are all poor, uneducated, or don't work?

Gina

The fairness of our justice system has a lot to do with whether or not you can afford a lawyer and your race. Statistics don't lie and they clearly show that if you are not white or you are poor, our justice system does not treat you equal. What I stated was white AND can afford a lawyer - in other words white people that cannot afford a lawyer are treated unequally and non-white people that cannot afford a lawyer or can afford a lawyer are treated unequally. Just because ours is not as bad as another country's system does not mean ours is fair.

Beyond that, your continued use of an incredibly racist term - they are Romani (or Roma) not "gypsies" - is disgusting. And since you didn't see them do it, you don't know they did. I am sure no one else commits crime in that area. No one. Ever. Never. Not once. :rolleyes:

Everyone needs to know that Samana is far away from the rest of the DR tourist hotspots. It's not as developed as places like the Playa Dorada, Puerto Plata or Punta Cana. In those places, you will find people who speak good English, have long experience with tourists, and who understand and are set up to cater to the needs of their tourist clients. Samana is not like that yet.

You arrive on a huge sparkling white ship, wearing the latest fashions, and you look like incredibly rich people to these folks. They don't really know what you want, but they sure want to convince you to spend some of your money - so they're going to try to sell you whatever they think they can get you to buy or whatever they've got to sell. They're not really thinking of it from your point of view. When the tourist industry in Samana becomes more mature, maybe they'll do that.

I've traveled extensively in the DR, including Samana. It is not in Dominican culture to try to hurt you or rob you point blank, or corrupt your innocent daughter. It is in their culture to try to do a deal on you and get you to overpay, or sell you something you don't want. Any community has bad people, but most Dominicans are not like that. They can be a bit aggressive when they're trying to sell to you, but if you're firm, they will back off.

I have a very cynical view of why those armed guards are posted at the gates of the resorts. It's to scare the tourists in the resort to stay inside the walls, so they will spend all their money there.

To the poster who just wants to find a nice beach and pay a reasonable transportation cost, I'd say you can do that, no problem. The whole Samana peninsula is one gorgeous beach after another. Find a taxi, tell the guy what you want and agree on a price. He'll take you to a beach and pick you up. Then he'll introduce you to his brother who sells t-shirts on the beach and his cousin who rents beach chairs, and his friend who runs a snack bar, and so on. It's all part of the game.

As to the whale watching, I've been on two whale tour boats, and I don't approve of what they do. They're Dominicans - they think you're paying to see a whale, so they want to deliver. But they do chase the whales around, and since the mothers are calving there, I think it's wrong. I won't go again.

You don't have to be afraid of getting off the ship. Chances that anybody will hurt you are less than in your own home town. If you do get off the ship, you'll run into Dominican culture, which is quite different from ours. But hey, that's why we travel, isn't it? To learn.

Beyond that, your continued use of an incredibly racist term - they are Romani (or Roma) not "gypsies" - is disgusting.

I spoke to a friend of mine, he has since moved back to England, who is one of these people you are talking about. He says the term "Gypsy" is perfectly acceptable. He says that more people who aren't one get offended by it, than people who ARE.

He said that the tribe his family has been associated with for countless years even has the word "Gypsy" in their name they use among themselves.

He also said to make sure that you are aware that not all people who fall under the broader term "Gypsy" are Romani or Roma. There are also Tinkers, Roaders, and Travellers.

He also made a request, by proxy, that UNLESS YOU ARE ONE, please to not take offense in behalf of them. His words, not mine.

I spoke to a friend of mine, he has since moved back to England, who is one of these people you are talking about. He says the term "Gypsy" is perfectly acceptable. He says that more people who aren't one get offended by it, than people who ARE.

He said that the tribe his family has been associated with for countless years even has the word "Gypsy" in their name they use among themselves.

He also said to make sure that you are aware that not all people who fall under the broader term "Gypsy" are Romani or Roma. There are also Tinkers, Roaders, and Travellers.

He also made a request, by proxy, that UNLESS YOU ARE ONE, please to not take offense in behalf of them. His words, not mine.

My mother is. Her entire family is from Ireland. Those in Ireland are Romani or Roma predominantly and the term gypsy is wildly offensive and racist. Tinkers, Roaders and Travellers are predominantly in England.

As for the tribe using the word themselves, that is far different than someone outside the tribe using it. I am sure you can think of other examples.

It is not in Dominican culture to try to hurt you or rob you point blank, or corrupt your innocent daughter. It is in their culture to try to do a deal on you and get you to overpay, or sell you something you don't want. Any community has bad people, but most Dominicans are not like that. They can be a bit aggressive when they're trying to sell to you, but if you're firm, they will back off.

I have a very cynical view of why those armed guards are posted at the gates of the resorts. It's to scare the tourists in the resort to stay inside the walls, so they will spend all their money there.

Well said. That's basically what I tried to say earlier but didn't express myself well.

This has turned to a rather hateful thread and anyone thinking of going to Samana would be having second thoughts.

I still maintain that it is a beautiful country with beautiful happy people. I would go back in a heartbeat.

One of the things that I loved about it - unlike most other places that I've traveled to - is that it is not homogenized with a Starbucks on every corner or the same stores and restaurants that I find at home. It is still a beautiful unspoiled country.

IMHO if you're going to travel, embrace the differences. Otherwise you might be better off to just stay home.

I know there are a few of you that are fans of Terry. My question is how many of you booked with the ships tours and what tours did you book?? Were you satisfied with the tour? My DH doesn't like booking private tours and I cannot convince him otherwise. I would like to "get off the ship" and see what the island has to offer by a ship sponsored tour.

Thanks for your replies.

Carol

The fairness of our justice system has a lot to do with whether or not you can afford a lawyer and your race. Statistics don't lie and they clearly show that if you are not white or you are poor, our justice system does not treat you equal. What I stated was white AND can afford a lawyer - in other words white people that cannot afford a lawyer are treated unequally and non-white people that cannot afford a lawyer or can afford a lawyer are treated unequally. Just because ours is not as bad as another country's system does not mean ours is fair.

Beyond that, your continued use of an incredibly racist term - they are Romani (or Roma) not "gypsies" - is disgusting. And since you didn't see them do it, you don't know they did. I am sure no one else commits crime in that area. No one. Ever. Never. Not once. :rolleyes:

So you mean to say that people white and not white that can't afford a lawyer are treated the same...and people that are white and not white that can afford a lawyer are treated the same. So can we stop with the whole 'you white's get everything?' crap considering I and many other whites grew up in poverty and got absolutely nothing handed to us ever and had no opportunities? Thanks.

Everyone needs to know that Samana is far away from the rest of the DR tourist hotspots. It's not as developed as places like the Playa Dorada, Puerto Plata or Punta Cana. In those places, you will find people who speak good English, have long experience with tourists, and who understand and are set up to cater to the needs of their tourist clients. Samana is not like that yet.

You arrive on a huge sparkling white ship, wearing the latest fashions, and you look like incredibly rich people to these folks. They don't really know what you want, but they sure want to convince you to spend some of your money - so they're going to try to sell you whatever they think they can get you to buy or whatever they've got to sell. They're not really thinking of it from your point of view. When the tourist industry in Samana becomes more mature, maybe they'll do that.

I've traveled extensively in the DR, including Samana. It is not in Dominican culture to try to hurt you or rob you point blank, or corrupt your innocent daughter. It is in their culture to try to do a deal on you and get you to overpay, or sell you something you don't want. Any community has bad people, but most Dominicans are not like that. They can be a bit aggressive when they're trying to sell to you, but if you're firm, they will back off.

To the poster who just wants to find a nice beach and pay a reasonable transportation cost, I'd say you can do that, no problem. The whole Samana peninsula is one gorgeous beach after another. Find a taxi, tell the guy what you want and agree on a price. He'll take you to a beach and pick you up. Then he'll introduce you to his brother who sells t-shirts on the beach and his cousin who rents beach chairs, and his friend who runs a snack bar, and so on. It's all part of the game.

As to the whale watching, I've been on two whale tour boats, and I don't approve of what they do. They're Dominicans - they think you're paying to see a whale, so they want to deliver. But they do chase the whales around, and since the mothers are calving there, I think it's wrong. I won't go again.

You don't have to be afraid of getting off the ship. Chances that anybody will hurt you are less than in your own home town. If you do get off the ship, you'll run into Dominican culture, which is quite different from ours. But hey, that's why we travel, isn't it? To learn.

Thank you for your post :) I don't really 'do' straw market type haggling and I just like an actual price for things. I am also leery of just throwing a price out there and agreeing to it because we've had that happen and then they demand more money and try to intimidate you into paying more. I hate stealing and lying and my first response is to tell them to f*#@ off but I try to contain myself when in unfamiliar areas :P I don't find trying to cheat people to be a fun little cultural quirk or game - I find it people that are okay with stealing and lying. So I'd rather not risk what some posters have said happened to them with a taxi driver taking them to a dirty area, telling them to get out or trying to make them buy things and then taking them to the destination. So since I know I dislike that behavior I try to avoid it, hence not wanting to get in a cab with people that have a past of cheating people.

I know there are a few of you that are fans of Terry. My question is how many of you booked with the ships tours and what tours did you book?? Were you satisfied with the tour? My DH doesn't like booking private tours and I cannot convince him otherwise. I would like to "get off the ship" and see what the island has to offer by a ship sponsored tour.

Thanks for your replies.

Carol

I took a ship excursion to Cayo Leventado. It was a nice beach day. But, I did not see anything of Samana.

We were on the Enchantment in March of 2011 and did the Whale Watching Expedition through the ships tours. It was $82pp and also included stopping at Cayo Levantado after the whale watch. I have to say of all the tours we have done, it was one of the most memorable and amazing excursions and one of my favorite:D. The boat they took us out on was very nice and had 2 levels to it and the owners and operators were very knowledgable and respectful of the whales. They shut the motors off once they got within a safe distance and told us that by law they had to be so far away. We spotted a mother and her calf and stuck with her, (or I should say she stayed by us) for approx 40 minutes (if they were stressed in any way she would have swam away or left the area) They put on a wonderful show for us and I have some amazing photos! I never felt that they were in any danger or bothered by us being there at all. There was another small boat not far from us and I wouldn't have wanted to be in that one because at one point the whale swam near them and when she would jump up out of the water their boat really rocked:eek:. We only seen the mother and calf but that was all I needed to see, we couldn't have had a better experience:). I would take that over seeing hundreds from a distance. BTW, the beach was very nice too!

Archived