Samana a Joke on US????

Big Feet

Just back from Explorer trip (1-13-13) -- stopped in Samana.

RCI-- are you trying to get negitive reviews by bringing your guests there?????

Please anyone else who was just there-- or recently put on the dock there lets send Adam a message-- we should not be put ashore in these dangerous places. Adam you wouldn't let your family set foot on the dock there if you have ever been there yourself.

NUT SHELL:

1. Tendered in-- OK

2. Old wooden dock-- had 60 people on the dock-- has anyone seen the blooper when the wedding party was having pic's taken and the dock collapsed? It's an accident waitng to happen.

3. One poor RCI rep -- by the gate-- no one else spoke english.

4. Taxi drivers were IN YOUR FACE hawking there $10 cab ride to town.

5. Saw no security-- police or military in the dock area.

6. Whale watching -- this is sick--- tour guide who spoke broken english -- when the whales were sighted yells out "everyone put on your life vests, because the boats will be close together". (he was not kidding)

Very surprising boats did not ram each other when whales were sighted. Prior to seeing the whales this announcment was made-- we can only watch them "not chase them" do I need to tell you -- we not only chased them up and down the shore line we had 4 other boats helping us. It was sad. Mother and calf were within 10 feet of our boat.

Advertisement said see 100's of whales-- there was 1 and it's calf-- same one that comes each year-- 1 not 100's.

7. Tendered directly back to ship (not to the dock) thank god. OK

I was afraid of this, actually. Did you book the whale watching through the ship or privately? We booked a private tour in Samana with a reputable local guide but these newer ports still scare me a little. We had an awful experience (with a guide who came highly recommended on these boards) in Belize and ever since then we are a bit leery of the "less traveled" ports. We'll be there on March 1st so cross your fingers for us!

We were there a few years back. As we were heading towards shore ... the trash, floating everywhere.

At the dock, was scary. Groups of men hanging around. Other men whispering in our ears. Selling what? I don't know. Some people said they saw guns tucked in the waistbands of some.

Packs of very thin dogs running loose.

We got our T, they were still setting up, and got back on the ship.

We did go into port again as we had a beach excursion. This time we got to the dock and were immediately put on another boat. A short ride later ... heaven. A beautiful, clean beach awaited.

Leaving the beach we were taken back to the ship ... I think.

You can't control wildlife. One day there might be dozens of whales and the next only one. Or would you prefer they break out the animatronics?

You want police/military presence on the docks, that never gives me any comfort? Seems it must be relatively safe since there are no reports of any issues even without a full blown military or police force to protect you.

Taxi drivers are aggressive everywhere. Learn to say no and walk away.

English is not the primary language in the DR. It is incredibly arrogant to assume they would speak your language.

I was afraid of this, actually. Did you book the whale watching through the ship or privately? We booked a private tour in Samana with a reputable local guide but these newer ports still scare me a little. We had an awful experience (with a guide who came highly recommended on these boards) in Belize and ever since then we are a bit leery of the "less traveled" ports. We'll be there on March 1st so cross your fingers for us!

We tried Belize this past summer via Carnival and were shocked that Carnival actually went there. We were even more shocked when we came back from our cruise and noticed that RCCL goes there also. Never again for our family!

We were in Samana on 1/10/13. I have to say it is my favorite port EVER. Booked a private tour with a reputable company. Saw so much. I really would like to go back.

After reading about it, I thought about just staying on the ship for the day. I am so glad that I didn't.

Different strokes for different folks. :rolleyes:

I enjoyed Belize but we took an expensive tour on a speed boat up the river had lunch then saw some amazing ruins. I have found that booking ship tours in some places it the only way to go. Jamaica is another port that I won't get off without a ships tour.

We have been there twice and will be going again in March. The first time we went to Cayo Levantado. It was okay, it was a beach. After we got back onboard we talked to our tablemates who went ashore for an excursion and they had nothing good to say. The jeeps they had were old and not running well and the overall excursion wasn't worth their time or money. They also told us about the port itself and how poor it is and how there really isn't anything there. They also didnt' feel very safe. These were people who had vacationed in the DR and loved it before. The second time we just stayed onboard and relaxed. We'll be doing that again March. My DH has written both time on the comment cards how RCI should rethink that port and not go there. Very few people are happy with the port.

I have been twice and loved it. Both times after reading reviews we took the excursion to Cayo Levantado. It is beautiful there! To anyone going I would make it a wonderful beach day and skip the samana experience. :)

We also went to Cayo Levantado on our Samana stop - never went into town - the beach was beautiful! We would definately do this again if we had the opportunity!

We were in Samana on 1/10/13. I have to say it is my favorite port EVER. Booked a private tour with a reputable company.

I don't know how closely we're skirting the rules of the board here but may I ask if this is a company that primarily does horseback and ATV tours and uses a mans name to identify themselves?

In Belilze we took the Old & New City Tour booked w/the cruiseline -- we enjoyed the Mayan pyramids (need lots of super bug spray & prepare for bumpy primitive roads) ...City itself not anyplace I'd want to walk around in....

We are due back to Belize.. but may look for a beach excursion away from the mainland or stay on the ship.....

Not planning on Samana in the future!

Hmmm....I was going to do the whale watching here. I will get very, very, very upset if the wildlife is in any way aggravated, molested or interfered with. I don't want to have to worry about doing a Hulk Smash on my vacation and believe me, the driver would get a very loud, Jersey earfull from me if I witness this happening. I also don't enjoy seedy feeling ports so I'm going to check out that beach excursion. It seems most were happy with it.

I don't know how closely we're skirting the rules of the board here but may I ask if this is a company that primarily does horseback and ATV tours and uses a mans name to identify themselves?

I think I can say - I also did a review on the Samana board. It was with Terry (tours with terry) who is from Pittsburgh. He went to the DR to do work and ended up staying. We did the low impact tour #5. Excellent day.

On the other hand, because of what she read on the boards, my sister took a ship tour that day and didn't have a very good time.

I think I can say - I also did a review on the Samana board. It was with Terry (tours with terry) who is from Pittsburgh. He went to the DR to do work and ended up staying. We did the low impact tour #5. Excellent day.

Oh Good! That's who I'm booked with. Different tour but same operator and I've usually found that operators are pretty consistent across the board.

On the other hand, because of what she read on the boards, my sister took a ship tour that day and didn't have a very good time.

We also did a tour with Terry( an American who was in the peace corp and ended up marrying an island girl) and had an amazing time. That part of the island is unspoiled and so rich in culture. Most of the islands now are so completely commercialized.

I appreciated being able to see all the untouched beauty almost like stepping back in time. We brought school supplies and candy for the children and they were just adorable and so polite and gracious.

I would love to go back some day.

Totally agree!

The majority of cruising guests to any Caribbean port are likely to be English speaking.

If the hosting country wants to make the guests feel welcome, making an effort to understand basic English is a good idea. The more welcome you make your guests, the more likely they are to stay awhile and go to town, take a tour, ride a taxi and shop in a store.

The goal of any port visit is to maximize revenue from the cruising guests, and that language barrier will likely make the port visits less profitable.

Now, we haven't been to some of these ports, but when in St. Martin, Barbados, Aruba, St Lucia, and several others, we find most people, especially tour guides, shop owners and taxi drivers, understand English pretty well. This makes us comfortable on their island and gives us a more enjoyable experience. Lots of smiles too.

I'm not saying they should change their culture, or lose whatever it is that makes their island special, just saying understanding the language of your guests probably will make your port visits happier places.

OWD (Ocean Wave Dave)

It's perfectly OK to recommend private tour guides by name on Cruise Critic.

You can't control wildlife. One day there might be dozens of whales and the next only one. Or would you prefer they break out the animatronics?

You are correct. We cannot control wildlife but we can control ourselves. There is absolutely no reason to be stressing, in any way, a mother whale and her calf. And people who spend the money for such action are just as culpable as those making some money off of it.

Archived