Samana a Joke on US????

Big Feet

I can't speak to someone else's first hand experience, only relate my own. Wife & I were on a Nov. 2012 Explorer of the Seas cruise to Samana. Had a real good time, didn't noticed anything bad were the tenders dropped us off, and we did the ship-arranged ATV excursion and while they had some technical glitches it was a fun excursion and I'm glad we did it.

The natives we passed were friendly and glad to see us though they mostly weren't in a position to sell us anything.

Island was lush, green and beautiful.

Back in early 2011 did a Liberty of the Seas cruise and stopped in Belize. Did a ship-arranged tour taking a boat up the New River, walking in the jungle and visiting Mayan ruins. Great excursion and got some sweet photos. I've heard Belize City itself can be rough, so I wouldn't wander around it at night.

Richard.

We love Samana. Beautiful island and beautiful people. Have gone with Terry several times. Great tours. Went horseback riding and to the beach. Fantastic local food there. Took school supplies, baseball gloves and balls, and other goodies for the kids. I understand why Terry moved there.

As far as locals speaking broken English. Was their English better than your Spanish?

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

The op says that the tour guide spoke "broken english". Should it really be a demand that a tour guide speaks fluent/perfect english when you are visiting a country where english is not the first language.

..but yeah, it is a hassle to learn a new language...

Fluent and perfect are of course two different issues (just ask an Englishman what he thinks of American's version of English;)). DH speaks Spanish well and I can speak Spangtalian:D, but yes, I think a guide should be reasonably fluent in the language in which he or she is conducting a tour.

And I don't think OP meant that EVERYBODY should speak English, but having only a single cruiseline rep on the pier who did isn't acceptable.

They are not my tours:rolleyes:

RCI has been tendering wheelchair bound people as far back as when they only had 3 ships and were going to GC, after over 40 years, they have it down.

Why do you think a wheelchair bound tour has a weight limit at a tender port:rolleyes:

as i said-- if you were in a wheel chair you couldn't go to shore---- not a suggestion from RCI--you can't go. (maybe you missed the fine print for Samana)

my post was for persons like yourself and others who may have kids. In case you didn't know -- this stop is not geared for any type of Handicap persons.

hope you don't think that just because you are a Sr, doesn't mean you can't do anything and everything any non Sr can do.

We waited at the dock for almost an hour for the rest of our group to get their act together and arrive on the tenders. I have to say, I didn't see any of that. Not a bit.

There was music, dancers and a generally happy atmosphere.

Were you the tour that had their own group? I took that same tour, but our guide told us that another group had booked a whole bus together.

I agree with your assessment, this was one of my best ever cruise tours. Terry does an excellent job, he knows what he needs to do to make sure people feel comfortable and safe.

I won't criticize the OP, but I might suggest that it would be wise to take a little bit more of a proactive approach to planning. All I mean by that is this: If you're on a ship that is stopping at places called San Juan and St. Thomas, it's not really a stretch to know what's going on - and what these places are going to be like. When you see "Labadee, Haiti", and "Samana, Dominican Republic", that might be a clue that you should probably do a little more research.

When I first booked my recent cruise that stopped in Samana, I knew enough from just reading Cruise Critic that some extra care was warranted in planning for that stop. I took the time to find a good tour company, carefully selected the tour that suited my interests, and had a really great day.

The point we should all take from this post is not that Royal Caribbean should stop going to Samana, but that when you are scheduled to stop at a place you are not very familiar with, take some time to do a little research.

Theron

I was the one who waited for our group and the dock. Your description was different from the day we were there. I stood and people watched and thought it was a colorful port.

We stopped at a shop in town, a cigar factory, a gift shop, a restaurant on El Valle ( a beautiful beach), someone's home to sample coconut bread, another home to sample chocolate, walked to a waterfall (with the assistance of local kids who helped us across a creek).

It was one of my top ten days.......

We went to Samana 2.5 years ago and took the RCL tour to Cayo Leventado. It is a beautiful island--but, it could have been anywhere in the world. We did not see any of the DR.

So, this is exactly what we are doing in Samana. I did a bunch of research on CC and Trip Advisor. I read only good things about the tours with Terry. I mentioned on our roll call that DH and our traveling companions are going to do the low impact culture tour [#5]. Several others said they would like to, too. Now we have a group of 24.:)

I think we will have a good time. I think it is good we have a group of our own going. We are going to take some school supplies, too. I read what Terry suggests online. Do you have any other suggestions?

Were you the tour that had their own group? I took that same tour, but our guide told us that another group had booked a whole bus together.

I agree with your assessment, this was one of my best ever cruise tours. Terry does an excellent job, he knows what he needs to do to make sure people feel comfortable and safe.

I won't criticize the OP, but I might suggest that it would be wise to take a little bit more of a proactive approach to planning. All I mean by that is this: If you're on a ship that is stopping at places called San Juan and St. Thomas, it's not really a stretch to know what's going on - and what these places are going to be like. When you see "Labadee, Haiti", and "Samana, Dominican Republic", that might be a clue that you should probably do a little more research.

When I first booked my recent cruise that stopped in Samana, I knew enough from just reading Cruise Critic that some extra care was warranted in planning for that stop. I took the time to find a good tour company, carefully selected the tour that suited my interests, and had a really great day.

The point we should all take from this post is not that Royal Caribbean should stop going to Samana, but that when you are scheduled to stop at a place you are not very familiar with, take some time to do a little research.

Theron

I totaly agree with you.

Guest maddycat

We went to Samara on a RCI cruise a few years ago. We will no longer book a cruise that includes the DR. We took an excursion to what was advertised as an artists village. On the drive over there were armed guards outside gated communities and resorts. The artist village was a reproduction of an Italian palaza, very beautiful. However all of the shops had the usual tourist merchandise from China. No local art or crafts. Walking around the area was a colony of starving cats. It was heart breaking.

[i toured w/ terry a few years ago.....AWESOME!!!!! Day:)

QUOTE=MS52;36800957]I think I can say - I also did a review on the Samana board. It was with Terry (tours with terry) who is from Pittsburgh. He went to the DR to do work and ended up staying. We did the low impact tour #5. Excellent day.

On the other hand, because of what she read on the boards, my sister took a ship tour that day and didn't have a very good time.

Well said and I totally agree!!

Also......Pushy vendors don't bother me as I simply say NO while looking directly into their eyes and they know I meant exactly what I just said - then they are glad to move on.

This is exactly what I do and it works a lot better than "ignoring" the locals. They know you're not interested and move on. I would highly suggest this to everyone who is in an area where people are aggressively trying to sell you something.

We lived in the Carbbean and South America for many years. Lots of poverty due to past or present corrupt governments. It's not uncommon to find guards in Pizza Huts, etc with automatic weapons. There are criminals in all countries. It's not the "poor people" you have to fear but the men in the "Armani" suits.

I'm genuinely sorry you had such a bad experience. I was on the same cruise and we had the opposite experience in Samana - it was the highlight of our cruise. We did the zip lining tour with Terry and found most of the people to be friendly and helpful - from the locals working with Terry, the zip line staff and the facilitators helping people through the paths along the creek at the waterfalls. I also think it was good for my kids (ages 13 and 18) to see how other people live.

We also went on the ship's excursion to Cayo Leventado when we were in Samana a few years ago and that was a more beautiful beach - like being on a desert island. Again the best part of our cruise.

I found the people at the port in San Juan and in St.Thomas to be just as aggressive as far as approaching us nonstop to get us to take their cabs/tours.

Agree in bits with the OP - went there from Explorer and my two teenage daughters lasted 30 mins ashore.

The hassle they got from local men in their late teens early 20's was scary. no police or security visible anywhere. Both returned to the Ship very stressed out.

I cannot see why RCI go there - family friendly, sorry not what I witnessed.

Will stay onboard if I am on a cruise that returns to Sammana.

Agree in bits with the OP - went there from Explorer and my two teenage daughters lasted 30 mins ashore.

The hassle they got from local men in their late teens early 20's was scary. no police or security visible anywhere. Both returned to the Ship very stressed out.

I cannot see why RCI go there - family friendly, sorry not what I witnessed.

Will stay onboard if I am on a cruise that returns to Sammana.

That's the experience most everyone I know has had. I don't get the posts lambasting people for their opinion that it's not a nice port because it's not. As I said previously we will not go ashore, but that is our prerogative on a cruise. Some posters act like if you go on a cruise, you have to go into a port. :confused:

Curious was the zip lining Terry's endevor? He told us he wanted to start that.... I hope so, and I hope he continues his success! Great guy.

I'm genuinely sorry you had such a bad experience. I was on the same cruise and we had the opposite experience in Samana - it was the highlight of our cruise. We did the zip lining tour with Terry and found most of the people to be friendly and helpful - from the locals working with Terry, the zip line staff and the facilitators helping people through the paths along the creek at the waterfalls. I also think it was good for my kids (ages 13 and 18) to see how other people live.

We also went on the ship's excursion to Cayo Leventado when we were in Samana a few years ago and that was a more beautiful beach - like being on a desert island. Again the best part of our cruise.

I found the people at the port in San Juan and in St.Thomas to be just as aggressive as far as approaching us nonstop to get us to take their cabs/tours.

I was in Samana about 4 years ago with my 15 yr old son. We did a ship excursion( which I normally do not do) We did the jeep excursion and I have to say it was one of the best days of our cruise.Yes, definitely a third world country, but everyone was very friendly, and yes there were a lot of children helping out on the excursion trying to earn a few bucks. My son spoke a little spanish and connected with one of the younger kids. I truly believe that because of all the poverty he saw that day it changed a lot of what he thought about poor people or just how other people lived. We really had an excellent time, and I would not hesitate to go back. We did see people/military with guns etc, but we also saw that when we were in Paris.

It really depends on what you are interested in. As they say, different strokes, for different folks. This port is not like St. Thomas. It is not commercialized in any way, but I suspect that some day it will be like all the rest.

Tough crowd here today. Not sure why the OP is being ridiculed for relating his experience. For those that accuse him of not getting out much, judging by his history he's been around the block many more times than his critics. Despite some opinions, the post is informative to some of us. After visiting a plethora of Caribbean Islands where almost everyone in the tourist industry understood some English, I'd probably expect the same from the DR. If that makes me an arrogant American so be it. :rolleyes:

Agreed, this thread has pulled out the self righteous crowd. The animatronic remark was just plain rude. The OP just pointed out the misleading advertising. The people talking about rethinking their values because they see how happy these poor people are should put their actions where there mouth is and move there.

We lived in the Carbbean and South America for many years. Lots of poverty due to past or present corrupt governments. It's not uncommon to find guards in Pizza Huts, etc with automatic weapons. There are criminals in all countries. It's not the "poor people" you have to fear but the men in the "Armani" suits.

Granny sounds good on paper-- but com'on-- whats with the Armani suit stuff????

We went into Costa Maya and Roatan Hondorus (sp?) a bit cautiously because of some opinions stated here on CC. Costa Maya was by far my favorite port I have ever been to. I love seeing the island before it is commercialized, and it was one of the highlights of our cruise. Roatan was another wonderful port, and does not get rave reviews for many of the same reasons Samana gets a bad rap (imho). We went to a slightly primitive zip-line in Roatan, and had beers at a little tiki bar in someones side yard afterwords. best day ever! Personally, I would rather share my good fortune with people who really need it and are nice good people than to spend it in a more "hooked up" port like St Thomas. My final thought.....a little research goes a long way. :)

Commercialization of ports brings in tourist dollars and a better standard of living for the locals. So, while some may love the port the way it is, the locals would have so much more if the area was improved. There are plenty of commercialized ports where there are excursions to more rural and natural areas, and if Samana is going to continue to be visited, it will become the same. Most of the Caribbean is solely dependent on tourism.

Just back from Explorer trip (1-13-13) -- stopped in Samana.

RCI-- are you trying to get negitive reviews by bringing your guests there?????

Please anyone else who was just there-- or recently put on the dock there lets send Adam a message-- we should not be put ashore in these dangerous places. Adam you wouldn't let your family set foot on the dock there if you have ever been there yourself.

NUT SHELL:

1. Tendered in-- OK

2. Old wooden dock-- had 60 people on the dock-- has anyone seen the blooper when the wedding party was having pic's taken and the dock collapsed? It's an accident waitng to happen.

3. One poor RCI rep -- by the gate-- no one else spoke english.

4. Taxi drivers were IN YOUR FACE hawking there $10 cab ride to town.

5. Saw no security-- police or military in the dock area.

6. Whale watching -- this is sick--- tour guide who spoke broken english -- when the whales were sighted yells out "everyone put on your life vests, because the boats will be close together". (he was not kidding)

Very surprising boats did not ram each other when whales were sighted. Prior to seeing the whales this announcment was made-- we can only watch them "not chase them" do I need to tell you -- we not only chased them up and down the shore line we had 4 other boats helping us. It was sad. Mother and calf were within 10 feet of our boat.

Advertisement said see 100's of whales-- there was 1 and it's calf-- same one that comes each year-- 1 not 100's.

7. Tendered directly back to ship (not to the dock) thank god. OK

I would like to stand by my comments. I was not belittling poor people in my post.

I have kids and grandkids-- i have handicap in my family. I love animals, not overzealously, but love them. Read the post again for the "chased the mother and calf" with 4 LARGE power boats-- under dangerous conditions-- so dangerous the guide yelled for everyone to put on the life vest-- i'm not making it up here. (how would you feel if our ships captain came on the loud speaker and tells everyone to put on your life vests there's other crusie ships in the area--- and we might hit one???) Doesn't matter the size of the boat-- danger is danger -- keep my family away from it.

There was one RCI rep on shore by the gate-- there were other "none RCI" but none speak english. I said our guide for whale watching spoke broken english-- not to degrade anyone-- just a fact. Boat drivers spoke no english.

Hawking cab rides and tours is always OK with me and i'm use to that having traveled the islands-- part of the ambience -- but 4 inchs from your face yelling at me-- well that's not hawking-- that's intimidating and threatening.

When that dock in Samana collaspes from over loading it--- remember you saw it on Cruise Critic first-- not a matter of if---------- but WHEN.

Someone posted something about SR-- i think they meant if your a Senor you may not get around. There were many on the ship who were in wheel chairs-that were not Sr's--they couldn't get off at DR either.

I do hope the posts help some. Please accept it for that "type" of post.

To me, it sounds like you booked a whale watching tour and were unhappy with the number of whales sighted.

Getting ten feet from a mother whale with calf should be reason enough to put on the lifejackets.

ADA or not there are things that handicapped can't do in the US, nevermind less developed countries.

Archived