Cancellation fees Celebrity Sydney

Ozy71

We have needed to cancel a cruise with Celebrity and in addition to loss of deposit, we are to be charged $200 admin fee. We had paid more than the deposit, but what happens if there was only the deposit in the account at time of cancellation? Do they send send a bill for Admin fee?

Has anyone been sent a bill for an Admin fee, If so did you pay it?

Hi

Just curious, you are on our roll call for 3 cruises, Sydney - Honolulu - Ensedada - Seattle.

Did you cancel all 3 legs ?

Hilary

No airfares booked, just the cruise, but we did make the mistake of paying some off the cruise, so they have the money to charge the Admin fee. I have written to Celebrity Sydney to get them to re-consider the Admin Fee. So we are waiting on a response from them.

Hoping you get your money back as its a blatant theft in my opinion!

Pay a small yearly fee and get a "Personal VPN" which will allow you to book direct in the USA,It slows down your internet speed but you can switch back after you have made purchases,we need to fight fire with fire when it comes to these blatant big company rip offs in the guise of "Regional consumer protection" when its all about what they can squeeze you for!

Some people stay in business despite themselves. Book direct in the USA via the net if you can't find a reasonable agent. They will get the message.

This is becoming impossible without a personal VPN as we are regionalised by our internet ISP!

I had a huge problem with this and RCI:(

You can ring US toll free numbers for free using Skype. This allows you to overcome the final hurdle and pay for the travel. I found a staff member of a web site who is incredibly helpful (and he is at work 6am to 3pm AEST)and there is no fees for booking or cancelling until 90 (I think) days before sailing.

Hi

Just curious, you are on our roll call for 3 cruises, Sydney - Honolulu - Ensedada - Seattle.

Did you cancel all 3 legs ?

Hilary

Hi Hilary

Yes we had to, because if you do not start in Sydney on this group of cruises you can not do the US ports (Jones act). So it 3 x $200 = $600 in admin fees.

Not Happy!

Yes we had to, because if you do not start in Sydney on this group of cruises you can not do the US ports (Jones act). So it 3 x $200 = $600 in admin fees.

Not Happy!

You should put a post on the Celebrity board,

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28

the Americans will be astounded and the cruise line will probably read that board.

Just got an Email from Celebrity Sydney, stating they are now not charging us the Admin fee. So it was worthwhile asking for a review and maybe this thread helped too. Thanks for all your input!

Just got an Email from Celebrity Sydney, stating they are now not charging us the Admin fee. So it was worthwhile asking for a review and maybe this thread helped too. Thanks for all your input!

Happy to hear of the outcome. Before making my X booking a did a LOT of research into cancellation fees & did not find any (from X & TA). This must be new & def not happy about it.

Haven't used a TA a single time for any of my overseas trips over the years.. nothing I can't do myself with a bit of research.. and a lot cheaper every single time. There was one time I approached a TA for assistance, since I was going to be flying to about 6 different cities in China.. but by the time they got back to me (2 or 3 weeks later), I'd already had it all sorted and made local contacts in China to do everything for me.. the TA would have cost me an additional $600 or $700 from memory.. big difference when the total csot of the entire month-long trip was considerably less than $2000, including airfare! :O

What does cancellation travel insurance do for you in this situation? Can you make a claim with that?

Excellent outcome, well done,:) I hope you get to cruise soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just booked a cruise on Celebrity Solstice for December I originally went to a large chain TA and when I received the email with the booking and terms and conditions I was shocked as if I cancelled outside the 151 days I had to forfeit the entire deposit which equated to 16% of the cruise cost so I then just booked direct with Celebrity which only takes the deposit if cancelled within 151 days of cruising. And they wonder why people book direct.

Pleased Celebrity Sydney saw the light and advised that they will not be charging you the Admin. Fee, Ozy71.

Just curious, how much deposit did you loose and is Celebrity Sydney owned by Celebrity or is it a local TA working for Celebrity?

Can anyone confirm how many days it is for loss of deposit in Australia versus how many days for loss of deposit in the US?

Pleased Celebrity Sydney saw the light and advised that they will not be charging you the Admin. Fee, Ozy71.

Just curious, how much deposit did you loose and is Celebrity Sydney owned by Celebrity or is it a local TA working for Celebrity?

Can anyone confirm how many days it is for loss of deposit in Australia versus how many days for loss of deposit in the US?

150 days for Australia. I believe it is 75 days for US. Not 100% sure. Maybe someone else might have a better answer.

"Below is the information from the US Celebrity website.

Quote:

If I have to cancel my cruise/cruisetour, will I get a refund?

You will get a full refund if you notify us in writing at least 75 days prior to your sailing or Cruisetour departure date (60 days for 3 & 4-night cruises or 90 days for holiday sailings). Consult the chart below to determine cancellation charges applicable later.

Note: No refunds will be made if you do not show up for your cruise or if you interrupt or cancel your vacation once it has begun.

When calculating the days prior to sailing, the day of sailing should not be considered as one of the days. The day of sailing is considered the first day of the cruise or Cruisetour, therefore, the penalty period will commence one day prior to the day of sailing.

The cancellation policy applies when reserving with our US Office only. Guests should contact their local Celebrity Cruises Office or Travel Agent for full details of applicable cancellation policies.

Effective August 1, 2010, new reservations will fall under the following cancellation schedule:

Cruise Length

1 - 5 Nights

60 + No Charges

59-43 Deposit Amount

42-29 50% of total price (taxes & fees excluded)*

28-15 75% of total price (taxes & fees excluded)*

14 or less No refund except for taxes and fees

6 Nights or longer

75 + No Charges

74-57 Deposit Amount

56-29 50% of total price (taxes & fees excluded)*

Cruisetours***

75+ No Charges

74-57 Deposit Amount

Holiday and Galapagos Sailings**:

1- 5 night

90 + No Charges

89-64 Deposit Amount

63-43 50% of total price (taxes & fees excluded)*

42-15 75% of total price (taxes & fees excluded)*

6 Nights or longer

90 + No Charges

89-64 Deposit Amount

42-22 75% of total price (taxes & fees excluded)*

21 or less No refund except for taxes and fees

69 to 30** No refund except for taxes and fees

* Or deposit amount, whichever is greater.

** Holiday sailings are defined as sailings that occur over Christmas and/or New Year's day.

***Guests who convert their Cruisetours to a cruise only booking within 42 days of the start date of the tour segment of the Cruisetour, will be subject to a cancellation charge. The amount of that charge varies depending on the location of the Cruisetour and/or its length. Find the specific amount of the charge here."

From Celebrity thread.

More favourable cancellation policies is another reason for booking through US Celebrity, rather than Australian Celebrity.

150 days for Australia. I believe it is 75 days for US. Not 100% sure. Maybe someone else might have a better answer.

"Below is the information from the US Celebrity website.

Quote:

If I have to cancel my cruise/cruisetour, will I get a refund?

You will get a full refund if you notify us in writing at least 75 days prior to your sailing or Cruisetour departure date (60 days for 3 & 4-night cruises or 90 days for holiday sailings). Consult the chart below to determine cancellation charges applicable later.

Note: No refunds will be made if you do not show up for your cruise or if you interrupt or cancel your vacation once it has begun.

When calculating the days prior to sailing, the day of sailing should not be considered as one of the days. The day of sailing is considered the first day of the cruise or Cruisetour, therefore, the penalty period will commence one day prior to the day of sailing.

The cancellation policy applies when reserving with our US Office only. Guests should contact their local Celebrity Cruises Office or Travel Agent for full details of applicable cancellation policies.

Effective August 1, 2010, new reservations will fall under the following cancellation schedule:

Cruise Length

1 - 5 Nights

60 + No Charges

59-43 Deposit Amount

42-29 50% of total price (taxes & fees excluded)*

6 Nights or longer

75 + No Charges

74-57 Deposit Amount

Cruisetours***

75+ No Charges

74-57 Deposit Amount

Holiday and Galapagos Sailings**:

1- 5 night

90 + No Charges

89-64 Deposit Amount

42-15 75% of total price (taxes & fees excluded)*

6 Nights or longer

90 + No Charges

89-64 Deposit Amount

42-22 75% of total price (taxes & fees excluded)*

21 or less No refund except for taxes and fees

69 to 30** No refund except for taxes and fees

* Or deposit amount, whichever is greater.

** Holiday sailings are defined as sailings that occur over Christmas and/or New Year's day.

***Guests who convert their Cruisetours to a cruise only booking within 42 days of the start date of the tour segment of the Cruisetour, will be subject to a cancellation charge. The amount of that charge varies depending on the location of the Cruisetour and/or its length. Find the specific amount of the charge here."

From Celebrity thread.

More favourable cancellation policies is another reason for booking through US Celebrity, rather than Australian Celebrity.

Exactly, the US cancellation dates are half that than those for the Australian site. 75 compared to 150 days.:D

But I now see that a very large US online TA has listed Celebrity as a line that will not allow non-residents to purchase from them. We used to be able to :( That will tie up the cancellation restrictions (and not in our favour).

Does that apply to cruisers who have booked Celebrity through US TAs before or new clients?

Couldn't see any restrictions listed on my US online TA.

Me either, maybe we have the same one?:D

One of the large TAs does not have the list on its website anymore but will reply that they cannot book certain lines.

I am not sure about the situation with passengers who have previously booked overseas before. I know some lines allow this.

If I was wanting to go, possibly. There was another direct cruises ;) site though that has a list (and a very long one at that). Not a lot left for Aussies wanting to book O'S.

I have heard of people booking a number of cruises and then deciding which ones to cancel later, I think we do not do that so much here and when we do cancel it is for a genuine reason. We lost $2000 a couple of years ago when we had to cancel just inside Crystal's 70 days, but it couldn't be helped. Unfortunately it was also not covered by our travel insurance.

Celebrity's 150 days is about 5 months - a fair bit of time to resell in anyone's language!

True, I have found the US TAs to be a bit easier to deal with when making changes even if there are timezone issues with the communications.:D

Archived