The Ma'am's Star Western Caribbean Review with Pictures!

medicalma'am

I am new to NCL. How do you access the web cam? I am on the 3/3/13 sailing and I also just can't wait!

Go to the Star's page on the NCL website. About half way down on the right side will be a link to the live web cam. It is right about the desination pictures.

You will be getting on when we are getting off. You'll be happy on that day and we'll be sad!

Heard from SIL, she had blur loungers on her balcony too.

Can't get on DH's computer where pics are. So frustrated. He'll be home soon, sure it will only take him a second to fix for me. That's where pics are. Maybe post more tomorrow. Going to doctor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Planam'am had 10726' date=' you can see her pics on this thread, I had 10728 and have posted my pics. Planma'am's sister in law had 10228. I don't know if she will post any pics. We also had the two aft balcony cabins in the middle for people in our group. I have peeked into the other two and if I recall they are like 726 and 728. So you can see the possibility of what yours will be like by looking at them.

I have a physical therapy appointment today and have to dry my hair before work, so I will be posting after work tonight around midnight. Till then...[/size']

10728?? That's the one I'm in coming up in April!!:D

What did you think about it??

Really enjoying your review! :)

Well, it's official, I have influenza B. Because of the timing of the symptoms, though, doctor thinks I got it back here in Utah, not on the cruise. Possible that I got it on the airplane on Monday, but with the first symptoms being felt at 2:00 a.m. Saturday morning, she thinks Utah. Just wanted to say that so there would not be a rumor started about getting it on the ship. I was off the ship at least two days before I contracted it.

Chill6X6, 10728 was just great, but I liked mine, 10726 better. Only difference was the decor and balcony.

10728 decor is very dark, and 10726 is very light. 10728 balcony was larger because 10726 gets smaller to the side of the ship, angles back toward the cabin. The decor made more of a difference to me than the balcony. You should be able to see that in the pictures. The room steward, was great! His looks reminded me of Anton Apollo Ono.

I agree with Medicalma'am; the thing I liked best about the suites was the Lavazza coffee! That, the extra space and the slipper chair! We would come back to the room to have coffee, as it was the best on the ship, and so fast to make! They had both regular and decaf, as well as teas. Be sure to read the tops carefully before chosing a pod; I inadvertently brewed a cup of tea first, as the name was something like carmello that I though would be caramel coffee. But no. The coffee says espresso, and I think decaf. Only two coffees, but several different teas.

Don't know what I'm doing, but just blew away a paragraph. I was telling how good our room steward was, but don't feel well enough to retype it all now.

Good night.

I have been checking in on the ship's webcam (because I'm obsessed with our upcoming cruise!). It look like it is a beautiful day in Costa Maya.

!

I have been doing the same thing - we are in aft-ph 10226 on March 10th - can't wait and love seeing the pictures of rooms close to ours.

The last Caribbean cruise we took in Dec. 2011 - the weather was terrible - 68 degrees and high sees at GSC and maybe 72, windy, and raining in Jamaica. so hoping this one is warmer. I check the weather in Roatan and Cozumel daily.

Just a few words. It's almost midnight and I have to get up again at 6:00. Training a new lead tomorrow.

I enjoyed the tea from Medicalma'am's coffeemaker. Loved it. Also enjoyed that champagne in the mimosas Screenma'am made.

We had one blue mesh sounger and one solid blue lounger in 10730. With a round white table. With all the rain we had, I must say that the loungers dried off really quickly.

Our steward was Angelo. The best!

Planma'am I do hope you feel better soon. Thank you all for such a great review. We are cruising on the Star on 24FEB and likely in a family suite on Deck 12. I noticed that one of you had the suite that juts out a little but also has the jogging track over you. Any thoughts about that suite vs. the others in that category that are further forward - are they the same except for the forward view? I'm very sensitive to noise so a little concerned about early morning joggers but the special view looks really nice.

Thanks!

dragongirl - I can tell you that the jogging track is closed until 8 am. My DH loves to get up at 6 am when we are on a cruise and run several miles. He was very disappointed that he had to adjust his schedule for that. I explained to him the I had read online that the joggers bothered those in the deck 12 rooms. He just went to the gym and used the treadmill or waited until later to run.

Saturday we had the bridge tour and I had the kitchen tour as part of the Chef's Table.

Our CC group had been so big that the bridge tour was held in two sessions. The captain was present the whole time for both of thema nd answered our questions personally. this was different than bridge tours I had attended i the past where the captain made a brief talk with us and left it up to other officers after that.

We had bubbly and appetizers. I attended the first one.

IMG_2104_zps7ccac173.jpg

IMG_2107_zps260d098c.jpg

The second group was enjoying listening to the captain when a member of our party was looking out the front of the ship. He thought he saw dolphins. He pointed it our to someone else and they decided that it was a whale.....RIGHT in front of the ship! He said out loud "Is that a whale?". I guess everyone looked and the captain said something like 'turn the ship!' and turn it did, just in time to miss a whale for sure. I was a pic someone on our roll call posted of the pic of the whale just at the side of the ship taken during the bridge tour! So....wildlife was saved because extra eyes were on the bridge looking out that day. Peter, if you are reading this, feel free to post your first hand account.

58238_10151205649321945_1450588436_n1.jpg

205651_10151205648796945_1109067848_n1.jpg

Waving hand on the bridge.

Tomorrow the Kitchen tour.

Edited by medicalma'am

Heard from SIL' date=' she had blur loungers on her balcony too.

Can't get on DH's computer where pics are. So frustrated. He'll be home soon, sure it will only take him a second to fix for me. That's where pics are. Maybe post more tomorrow. Going to doctor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2[/quote']

Thanks so much for checking with your SIL. The PH suites used to have rattan loungers with cushions. I'm trying to find out if there are plans to go back to the rattan loungers.

Hope you are feeling better soon!

Lori

As part of the Chef's Table, you get a kitchen tour. This was held on Saturday morning on our cruise. I was at the first bridge tour, so was able to make both.

This is not just 'a' kitchen tour, you get an extensive tour of the prep, storage, loading, baking, dish washing, and some crew areas. The Chef himself took us on the tour and taught us the whole time.

These are big mixers for dough in the background, notice the dough hook

IMG_2108_zps0003ab69.jpg

The baking. If you have an aft room you will smell this wonderful aroma several times a day. They bake EVERYTHING daily on board except for the mini croissants and gluten free items.

IMG_2109_zpsdf2f9f7f.jpg

We went into several different refrigeration rooms. They have many because different things need different temps and humidity levels. These are all monitored and adjusted automatically. (The technology on this ship is endless!)

IMG_2110_zps3170d9c8.jpg

Avocados. Why did I not have anything with avocados?

[IMG_2111_zps255ed233.jpg

He answered many of our questions.

IMG_2112_zps342b8272.jpg

Most of my pics of the kitchen tour are on my DIL's camera. My iPhone battery was low and I used hers for the greatest first part of the tour. EVERYTHING WAS SO CLEAN!!!

I had pics of the main dining room final prep area, the very secure locked bar, the chicken prep room with its own refrigerator room, the beef prep area with its own refrigeration room, the fish prep room with its own refrigeration room. All these things are handled in separate areas until actual cooking! They all need their own refrigeration temps also!

Vegetable prep room

IMG_2113_zpsee22619a.jpg

Your knowledgeable and hard working chef

IMG_2114_zps65a47313.jpg

I probably took 50 pics and do not have most of them to share yet.

The dishwashing area had large machines not unlike our facility main kitchen (we have a main kitchen and several satellite serving kitchens to feed 400 individuals we care for) with temp controlled water for truly sanitizing all dishes. There is a separate washer for glassware. We were told that the protein in food will 'etch' glass if washed together with dishes. I always thought that it was the detergent! Do a separate load with just fine glassware and you will not have to hand wash your fine stemware and antique glassware any longer!

We went down into the loading area where the weekly provisions are received. What a process that must be! We also saw how the garbage is 'taken out'. They crush some for off loading at port (NOLA), grind and incinerate some. NOTHING is put off out at sea (even though this is legal with some things). NCL has made the choice to go green and they have contracts with recycling and garbage companies. SO good to know.

I sound like a big commercial, but these things are important to me, that I am spending my $ with and helping to support a company that is forward looking and responsible. They are publicly traded now you know. Any investors out there???

IMG_2115_zpsfa0c09f4.jpg

Fruit of all those kitchen worker's labors. They have pics of how the food is supposed to look on the plate. If it is not right, the server can hand it back to the final prep workers and request a 'fix' or 're-do'. It is the servers job to guarantee perfection and compare the plate to the pic!

They have menus that are for 7 day cruises posted, then 14 day cruises, and such. It is very efficient to have repeating menus: time wise, provision wise, and prep wise. The same quality product can be guaranteed when the staff knows and keeps a routine. Land based restaurants do not change their menu offerings often, and the same is true at sea.

Edited by medicalma'am

One more post then I have to get ready to leave the house. I am having lunch with my Bible Study friends of 24 years, as we do every Wednesday.

I caught sun down one evening in the West. At the same time, the moon was rising in the East! I think it was the last night of the cruise. Only in those aft balcony cabins...

IMG_2119_zps67c74167.jpg

IMG_2127_zpsc61dc299.jpg

Smile Janice! Janice Hornburg, a published poet in our group. (Perspectives - finishing line press)

IMG_2128_zpsa11fdbed.jpg

My BIL, with his BIG camera. I can't wait to see those pics!

IMG_2130_zps38561fd6.jpg

That is all for now. I HAVE to get ready for lunch/work.

More tonight...Stay tuned.

Loving all these photos, but just about had a heart attack when I saw the two photos of the woman touring the kitchen in FLIP FLOPS!!!!! :eek::eek::eek: That is a MAJOR NO-NO in a kitchen, primarily because there are sharp objects that fall in kitchens, but equally importantly because feet are not exactly the most sanitary. I just let out a loud EEEEewwwwwwww!!! when I saw that. I'm really surprised that the Chef let her in with them on her feet. :(

Thanks for a great review. we'll be there next week...yeah..

Don;t know whether I missed this, but how was the food at Chankannab? cost wise? taste wise? I read somewhere on trip advisor thay had food poisoning!! this is though an old review.

Also, were there any sand toys at tropicante?

Thanks.

WaldosPepper - Yeah, I had on my tennis shoes and still had to be careful in places where it was very slippery. Our invite said to wear sturdy shoes that were non-slip I believe.

The food I had at Chankanaab was great and good priced for what I got. I could not eat all of it.

As you can see, it is three a.m. and I just got home. Exhausted. going to bed so no more posts tonight. :(

Loving all these photos, but just about had a heart attack when I saw the two photos of the woman touring the kitchen in FLIP FLOPS!!!!! :eek::eek::eek: That is a MAJOR NO-NO in a kitchen, primarily because there are sharp objects that fall in kitchens, but equally importantly because feet are not exactly the most sanitary. I just let out a loud EEEEewwwwwwww!!! when I saw that. I'm really surprised that the Chef let her in with them on her feet. :(

WaldosPepper - Yeah' date=' I had on my tennis shoes and still had to be careful in places where it was very slippery. Our invite said to wear sturdy shoes that were non-slip I believe. [/size']

We've gone on several "behind the scenes" tours and they have all been very specific in noting "sturdy, closed-toe shoes - no flip flops". The floors in the galley can be very slippery - not only from water but from grease.

To the Ma'ams: Thank you for your unique review!

We've gone on several "behind the scenes" tours and they have all been very specific in noting "sturdy, closed-toe shoes - no flip flops". The floors in the galley can be very slippery - not only from water but from grease.

To the Ma'ams: Thank you for your unique review!

I was not allowed to participate on the Dawn's Platinum Behind the Scenes tour because I had open-toe sandals on. Had to go to the Gift Shop and buy a pair of Crocks. They moved us to the tour 30 minutes later.

Saturday on board is always sad. You have to pack your bags unless you are taking them off the ship on your own. We did that sometime in the afternoon. We met others in Cagney's for lunch.

I was thinking that I would go to the pool. I walked up there after lunch and it was loud and crowded. I opted for my quiet balcony and a book. I ended up taking a nap.

We had our last cocktail party that night in the Star Bar. I think we all had a great time.

IMG_2146_zpse0a5abd9.jpg

this is my favorite pic of my kids from the cruise.

IMG_2064_zpsfbea9671.jpg

My DD and her family had been at the pool much of the afternoon and my BIL just happened to be on the deck above and got some great pics of my DGD going down the slide. My DD said they literally had to peel her away from the railing to get her to go down the first time. She had been doing the kids pool slide all week. After a couple of times on Mommy's lap, then she graduated to going down with Daddy, Before long she was squealing "I want to go again!" and racing up the steps in front of Daddy and delightedly going down herself.

We had dinner one night, it might have been this night, at Churrascaria. It was fun. I LOVED the salad bar. They had many different things there. They brought sides that were served family style. They started bringing meats. The order in which they serve them is interesting. They start with chicken, then pork, lamb, and so on. HOLD OUT ROOM FOR THE BEEF! I was so full by the time the beef came around I had to take a bite and quit. This is the most expensive meat and I am sure this is by design. OR maybe they work up from the most light to the heaviest. Anyway, I wish I had not filled myself before it came around, Just sayin'.

You have a coaster sized cardboard at your place that you turn to the red side if you don't want more, and the green side if you do want more.

Edited by medicalma'am