Need help - pacific island itinerary on RCI

muffin

Hello to all.... Have booked Syd-NZ 14 day round trip on HAL Jan 19/14 on the OOsterdam. Thinking that while we are there, we may as well check out the pacific islands on a cruise too. Availablilty is mainly RCI. Need to decide between Radiance of the Sea Feb3-14/14 and Rhapsody of the seas Feb 11-21/14. We return to Syd on HAL Feb 2, so first options means we leave the next day, and the other gives us 8 days to rent a car and explore a bit too. (We have lived in Aus, so know what we will do with that time.) Would love to hear opinions as to which ship is preferable, and why. If we do the early one, we will have a land stay in Aus at the end of it, so nothing to pick there.

Also, they have very minor itinerary differences. Radiance goes to Noumea, Mystery Island, Champagne Beach, Port Vila, Lie Lifou and Ile des pins

Rhapsody stops at Noumea, Mystery island, Luganville, Vila, mare, and Ile des pin. Is there anything to really consider in these differences??

Thank you so much for your "Insider" knowledge. People who have been there know what they enjoyed most!

Cheers, marg

Hello to all.... Have booked Syd-NZ 14 day round trip on HAL Jan 19/14 on the OOsterdam. Thinking that while we are there, we may as well check out the pacific islands on a cruise too. Availablilty is mainly RCI. Need to decide between Radiance of the Sea Feb3-14/14 and Rhapsody of the seas Feb 11-21/14. We return to Syd on HAL Feb 2, so first options means we leave the next day, and the other gives us 8 days to rent a car and explore a bit too. (We have lived in Aus, so know what we will do with that time.) Would love to hear opinions as to which ship is preferable, and why. If we do the early one, we will have a land stay in Aus at the end of it, so nothing to pick there.

Also, they have very minor itinerary differences. Radiance goes to Noumea, Mystery Island, Champagne Beach, Port Vila, Lie Lifou and Ile des pins

Rhapsody stops at Noumea, Mystery island, Luganville, Vila, mare, and Ile des pin. Is there anything to really consider in these differences??

Thank you so much for your "Insider" knowledge. People who have been there know what they enjoyed most!

Cheers, marg

not much difference really but Mare is supposed to be fantastic, we were meant to stop there last year but because of the weather we couldnt, it is a tender port

I haven't been to Champagne Beachor Luganville and I can't comments on the ships themself as I haven't been on either, I have been to all other ports though. I have just come back from Mare and I would definately choose any itinary that had it. It is a brand new stop so is still in pristine condition and has fantastic snorkeling right across a huge beach. I love Lifou too but not quite as much as Mare as the snorkeling area isn't quite as large and it is difficult to get to since the steps were washed away.

Surely helps to hear opinions and observations....really very nice to know it sounds like we can't go very far wrong with either choice. Will wait to see if more people join in with their ideas...it IS a long way away, but now we can have great choices of cabins. Thx again. Cheers, Marg

• 2 weeks later...

Luganville (freight port), and Champagne Bay (my pick for the best beach in the South Pacific) are both on the Island Of Espirtu Santo. So you can taxi or Excursion.

Rhapsody is my favourite for service and friendly staff. Also like the smaller size for a more intimate atmosphere.

Aussie Frequent Floaters:)

Edited by Aussie FF
spelling

• 4 months later...
Luganville (freight port), and Champagne Bay (my pick for the best beach in the South Pacific) are both on the Island Of Espirtu Santo. So you can taxi or Excursion.

Rhapsody is my favourite for service and friendly staff. Also like the smaller size for a more intimate atmosphere.

Aussie Frequent Floaters:)

Hello there!

I have just booked the 11-22 Feb 2014 cruise on Rhapsody to the South Pacific.

We cruised on her in March this year to Fiji. Loved the ship, crew was so friendly, entertainment was excellent, food great so what's NOT to love!

This cruise in February has a new itinery so there will be 4 ports that we have not been to before.

We haven't experienced the Radiance yet (Oct this year) but hear that she is a very beautiful ship with lots of glass.

As our Rhapsody cruise is in an Accessible Junior Suite, we will have a large balcony to enjoy the sights of the South Pacific.

Which ever you choose, I'll sure you'll have a great time!

Gae

I haven't been to Champagne Beachor Luganville and I can't comments on the ships themself as I haven't been on either, I have been to all other ports though. I have just come back from Mare and I would definately choose any itinary that had it. It is a brand new stop so is still in pristine condition and has fantastic snorkeling right across a huge beach. I love Lifou too but not quite as much as Mare as the snorkeling area isn't quite as large and it is difficult to get to since the steps were washed away.

I have read that the steps at Lifou have been fixed but it now costs $15 to snorkel there. My dh and I are booked on the 3rd Feb 2014 Radiance cruise with our daughter, sil and two grandkids. It is our first cruise.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Forums mobile app

We haven't experienced the Radiance yet (Oct this year) but hear that she is a very beautiful ship with lots of glass.

That is very true - ship of glass.

On Rhapsody the glass elevators face the centrum. On Radiance they face the sea. Try not to ride up and down all day taking in the view :D

Also, make sure you checkout the outdoor seating area aft of Windjammer (thru Rita's) - very nice area to eat your lunch or just relax with a drink.

That is very true - ship of glass.

On Rhapsody the glass elevators face the centrum. On Radiance they face the sea. Try not to ride up and down all day taking in the view :D

Also, make sure you checkout the outdoor seating area aft of Windjammer (thru Rita's) - very nice area to eat your lunch or just relax with a drink.

We've heard nothing but good about this ship so really looking forward to being onboard.

Thanks for your information. It's thanks to these boards that I knew about the "Peek-a-boo" deck on the Voyager.

It's funny though, by the time you know your way around the ship, it's time to come home again.

We still haven't played the Putt-Putt golf though we mean to each time! :D

Hey Gae.

We're going on 2 cruises together!!! Oct 13 and Feb '14.

See you on our roll call, Meet & Mingle, and on board.:)

There are new metal steps at Lifou, and no charge to snorkel.:)

I was there for a Tsunami alert in February.

Seija & family

Sailed

Rhapsody x 11

Radiance

P&O x 5

Carnival Spirit (don't bother)

Booked

Radiance x 3

Rhapsody x 2

Volendam

Sea Princess x 2

Planning

Voyager or Celebrity Solstice

Edited by Aussie FF
add

We have been on both ships and loved them both, but our hearts are definetly with Radiance we spent 34 days on her and didn't want to get off such a beautiful ship, and any itenaray with Champagne Bay in it has to be a bonus. good luck with your decision whichever way you decide I'm sure you will be happy. Robin:)

Hey Gae.

Seija & family

Sailed

Rhapsody x 11

Radiance

P&O x 5

Booked

Radiance x 3

Rhapsody x 2

Volendam

Sea Princess x 2

Planning

There are new metal steps at Lifou, and no charge to snorkel

i read on facebook they charge $15 to snorkle at Lifou....not sure if its true

There are new metal steps at Lifou, and no charge to snorkel

i read on facebook they charge $15 to snorkle at Lifou....not sure if its true

someone else posted on facebook and they think its $10 so i dont really know

My favourite of all the stops of South Pacific is Mare without doubt. Have done 3 cruises there in the last 12 months, on Pacific Jewel, Radiance of the seas and Carnival Spirit. Have been to all those stops. Champage Bay lovely too. Mare is so new to cruise ships, it is still very natural and hasnt been spoilt by tourism. We were due to stop there on the carnival cruise but due to fuel shortages it was changed.

if you do go to Mare, please spend a few dollars and take some things for the school kids. Pencils, erasers, sharpeners etc would be so greatly appreciated.

The kids hang over the fence watching the passengers getting off the tenders, their beautiful innocence and broad smiles is something very special to see.

Enjoy whichever cruise you settle on.

• 6 months later...
Hey Gae.

Seija & family

Sailed

Rhapsody x 11

Radiance

P&O x 5

Booked

Radiance x 3

Rhapsody x 2

Volendam

Sea Princess x 2

Planning

Re: Lifou/Jinek Bay. You are correct there is new steps for Jinek Bay. Incorrect re no charge.

We were there over Christmas on the Rhapsody, it was $15pp AUD to snorkel.

No payment at Jinek Bay, no snorkel.

You can swim/snorkel at the main beach for free. We didnt as it was too windy.

Just wanted to add my two cents worth. I was booking my first cruise for this Christmas just gone. I was choosing between the Rhapsody and the Radiance. They left Sydney a day apart and the main difference in the itinerary was Champagne Bay.

Not many cruises go to Champagne Bay and it came highly recommended. So, we went with the itinerary that included it. We just loved it. Absolutely gorgeous spot. Tropical blue water, white sandy beach. Lots of markets. Friendly locals. You can also do tours to Blue Hole with the locals but the main beach was so lovely we couldnt drag ourselves away to do a tour. We had a full day there and loved every minute of it.

We just loved the Rhapsody but I hear equally good things about the Radiance.

Edited by aussielozzie18

Hi, I have been to Champage twice once in 1988 and then in 2011 and it is just beautiful the white sand and the warm water . On my last cruise there nearly all the passenmgers went ashore that day and went swimming. The locals also have a few little stalls they set up too. I have not been to Mare. But would go back to Champange bay again. (only in the last 4 years or so the ships have started going back there (am not sure why) but over the years when i have been looking for a cruise with Champagne Bay i could never find one.

Regards Zanny:)

Hey Gae.

Seija & family

Sailed

Rhapsody x 11

Radiance

P&O x 5

Booked

Radiance x 3

Rhapsody x 2

Volendam

Sea Princess x 2

Planning

My goodness Seija ..... You have only been on the Rhapsody ELEVEN times ......What would you know:D:D:D. What are you going to do in 2015-16 It's a long flight to the Med. See ya at check in.......again:)