Reflection and the Alcoves

BigDaddy2002

There have been many photo's posted here of the alcove's. Use the search engine feature to look for them. That is, assuming none of the posters here have pics, maybe Big Daddy can provide.

IMHO, the furniture did not look that comfortable to me. But I"d still like to give it a shot, exp if sharing the $$$ with another couple sailing with us.

The other thing that bothered me was they are situated looking not at the sea, but away from it. I couldn't understand that at all but someone pointed out the privacy issue as the walking areas up there would expose people to all kinds of staring and looking if the alcoves were facing the sea. Quandry!!

I have seen quite a few negative comments about the Alcove's. Mostly because they use up valuable space for only a few to enjoy, which I guess makes makes sense:rolleyes: I also read they are frequently unused. The unused part surprises me a little because my wife and I have rented Cabanas several times at resorts and they are quite popular. Sort of like a little oasis. Just one of those little extra special touches on a vacation. Maybe they just haven't caught on yet. The weather/temperature probably affects usage as well.

And yes, there is a fee but there are very few of them, so if Celebrity priced them at a more attractive rate I'm guessing that would probably cause the opposite problem of people complaining (on CC) they can never reserve one.

I can also see why these would be empty at times because I can't imagine anyone would want to be locked in a small grassy (Luxury prison;)) all day. With out a doubt we will stray away and return from time to time but I find it really nice having these little guarantied outdoor spots as a cozy retreat.

I too wish that they were facing the ocean but I'm thinking Celebrity thought that these Alcoves should be slightly more intimate all the people on the walking path would be a disruption. (And they would be)

From what I see online, Celebrity also entertains in the grassy center space from time to time and it would be enjoyable to have seating with some new friends. We are definitely not snobs, and if people want to lay in the nice grass and take in the rays I'm all for it. We might even do a picnic ourselves. Why not? It's a vacation:)

OK, Now you can all let me have it with the "Drank the Koolaid Jokes!:D

Just another perspective :)

Edited by Doupa22

You have the Alcoves from 9am to 9pm. I don't plan to be in them every minute for that 12 hours! That is what is nice - you can leave, come back, go about your day and you always have that wonderful spot waiting for you. You don't have to deal with chair hogs or search for those premium spots in the shade where you can never find two loungers together. To each his own:D I am really looking forward to our sea days on the Silhouette!!

Thanks. You made me really excited.

I will present this to the group. Am thinking it would be a fantatic idea to rent all of them for the whole cruise so our group would have its own private area every day.

If we can't get all of them can we share them on a rotating basis?

Do you have to stay in them or can you mingle and hangout in the area?

Thanks.

You have the Alcoves from 9am to 9pm. I don't plan to be in them every minute for that 12 hours! That is what is nice - you can leave, come back, go about your day and you always have that wonderful spot waiting for you. You don't have to deal with chair hogs or search for those premium spots in the shade where you can never find two loungers together. To each his own:D I am really looking forward to our sea days on the Silhouette!!

I agree, Christine. We have reserved one on our March Reflection cruise and fully expect to enjoy it. Just wish we had the option on our June Baltic adventure on Eclipse

I will present this to the group. Am thinking it would be a fantatic idea to rent all of them for the whole cruise so our group would have its own private area every day.

Thanks.

Go for it! You get a discount for renting them all week. (But you have to stay in them the entire day and get permission to leave:p:p:p;););)

Edited by Doupa22

Doupa22,

We are booked on the 7 June 10 Night Mediterranean. I've gone online to book the Alcoves for our sea days but it basically says I need to wait until 2 months before sail date. How did you get yours booked so early?

The Celebrity Web site contains a number of errors and one of them revolves around booking Alcoves. The web site would lead you to believe that you have to wait to book but the truth is the web site never lets you booked them on line and you must call Celebrity to reserve, and this can be anytime, even on the day you first reserve your cabin, no matter how far in advance you book your cruise.

I am looking forward to use of an Alcove on our March 16th sailing on Reflection.

SLP

The Celebrity Web site contains a number of errors and one of them revolves around booking Alcoves. The web site would lead you to believe that you have to wait to book but the truth is the web site never lets you booked them on line and you must call Celebrity to reserve, and this can be anytime, even on the day you first reserve your cabin, no matter how far in advance you book your cruise.

I am looking forward to use of an Alcove on our March 16th sailing on Reflection.

SLP

Thank you! That is sound advise. PLEASE come back and let us know of your general experience on the 16th. It would be GREATLY appreciated :) Have a blast Next month:D I wish my cruise was that close to sailing:)

Thanks.

They say 4 people per Alcove. I don't know if that is because there is only seating for 4. I can't see that they would have a problem with "visitors":D

See the LCG for the location of your Alcove - apparently there will be something left in your cabin as to your assignment (location). Maybe you can arrange for your group to be "next door":D

Edited by Christine Frances

They say 4 people per Alcove. I don't know if that is because there is only seating for 4. I can't see that they would have a problem with "visitors":D

See the LCG for the location of your Alcove - apparently there will be something left in your cabin as to your assignment (location). Maybe you can arrange for your group to be "next door":D

A friend of mine who had an Alcove for 2 days on Reflection in January said there was no problem if people stopped by for a visit or if there was an extra person from time to time, but he witnessed the occupants of one alcove being told that they would have to ask their extra guests (which numbered over 6) to leave after they had been there for over an hour.

A friend of mine who had an Alcove for 2 days on Reflection in January said there was no problem if people stopped by for a visit or if there was an extra person from time to time, but he witnessed the occupants of one alcove being told that they would have to ask their extra guests (which numbered over 6) to leave after they had been there for over an hour.

I am glad that happened. I would not want to find my neighbor making his Alcove "Party Central":eek:

The photos were great. One problem. It would be hard to share it with friends as there is only two chairs with ottomans and a couch. Who gets the chairs with the ottomans and who has to sit on the couch. Seems to me that it is really only good for two people so that they could lay down on the chaise or choose to sit in the chairs.

Think I like The Sanctuary on Princess better as it is secluded on its own deck and there are 4 chaise lounges and a table. Celebrity could learn a lesson from Princess on a secluded area for its passengers.

Just my opinion. Love Celebrity and it is our favorite cruise line.

Latest review of the Reflection. The Alcove services took a pretty big hit. At least that's something that can be improved upon but it does throw up a red flag.:( I'm still getting mine. But it gave me serious second thoughts

Review: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=114862

Edited by Doupa22

Latest review of the Reflection. The Alcove services took a pretty big hit. At least that's something that can be improved upon but it does throw up a red flag.:( I'm still getting mine. But it gave me serious second thoughts

Review: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=114862

I always welcome reading reviews - but that one was MUCH more glass have empty then glass have full. It focused a lot more on where Celebrity fell short of expectations vs where Celebrity exceeded expectations.

I'm still on the fence on one of these. I love the concept - however with a teenager not being able to use it (even though she just sits around & reads) it makes it a tough sell.

Just off the ship and have some updates.

First, the Alcoves were a great idea for us. I called and reserved them 6 months ago. Still, we were only able to get them 6 of 7 days as people had already reserved all 10 for one sea day.

On the Reflection currently, the person in charge of them is Jayson, who also works in the Lawn Club Grill, which is adjacent to the Alcoves. He will do his best to meet your needs, but there are some interesting limitations. You can pay for a "picnic basket", but it's just the same food from the Oceanview Cafe, which is one floor below.

The LCG and The Porch are both very close to the Alcoves, but Celebrity has decreed that you cannot bring food from either of them into the Alcoves. Apparently, if they let one person do it, anarchy will result.

Bar service is available from the LCG but we found that Bailey and David from the nearby Sunset Bar were very attentive to us in the Alcoves.

At least one evening there was a jazz concert on the Lawn directly in front of our Alcoves. The group was terrific but it was a sparsely attended concert. Celebrity had set blankets out for people to lay on during the concert, but only about half were occupied.

Celebrity ropes off many areas near the Alcoves in order to protect and repair the grass. While we didn't mind the restricted access, this did make the grassy area in between the Alcoves appear to be more off limits than it actually was.

As our group had two Alcoves reserved, we frequently had as many as 8 people in one or the other. I suppose it's always possible to have an issue where a limit on the number of people is enforced, but on this cruise we had no issue with any of the staff or any other guest.

Quite simply, the Alcoves provided us with a meeting place each day for 4 couples to come and go as we pleased. The (10) Alcoves are nicely appointed and we found the furniture adequate to comfortable. They do not take up very much space and the Lawn around them is available for anyone to use. I feel certain that the yellow ropes and chains Celebrity used to restrict access in order to protect patches of grass made the Lawn area appear less available than it actually was.

We all agree that we will try to reserve Alcoves whenever we are on a cruise where they are available. Strongly recommend them, especially for sea days.

Strongly recommend them, especially for sea days.

Thank you for the great review, I am now more comfortable with my choice. By the way. How much did they discount them for an all week purchase?

Edited by Doupa22

I don't think we got the discount because we were not able to reserve them for every day. Even though I had called six months in advance, they were all booked on Thursday. But I will say that the staff was very accommodating. On our first sea day, we had rain all day and they offered to refund us our fee for the day.

I read the "good and the bad" and decided I would choose the "good". Booked for day 5 and SIL booked day 6. There were none available for 1st day at sea. We have a total of 7 in our group, but, I am positive we will not all be using it at the same time. My DH likes to wander and doesn't read much so it I know he won't be chair hogging it.. lol..We also like to mingle and hang out in the pool and hot tub so we are more or less using it as a relaxing pit. Hope I love it!!

Nice that you felt the Alcoves were worth it for you, but I will stand by my original reaction....they are ugly and block both the view and access to the Lawn.

I disagree that the ropes don't restrict access....how many people feel welcome to jump over the ropes and use the lawn area that has been blocked off. If Celebrity can't find a way to keep the lawn maintained without roping it off so much, what's the point of it?? Oh yes, I forgot it was for those who paid for the Alcoves to enjoy only.

Celebrity had no problem allowing a private party to use the lawn for a wedding party on our cruise. :(

Nice that you felt the Alcoves were worth it for you, but I will stand by my original reaction....they are ugly and block both the view and access to the Lawn.

I disagree that the ropes don't restrict access....how many people feel welcome to jump over the ropes and use the lawn area that has been blocked off. If Celebrity can't find a way to keep the lawn maintained without roping it off so much, what's the point of it?? Oh yes, I forgot it was for those who paid for the Alcoves to enjoy only.

Celebrity had no problem allowing a private party to use the lawn for a wedding party on our cruise. :(

I agree!

But all that matters unfortunately is that if people continue to pay for them, they won't be going anywhere. If no one booked them, maybe they would get rid of them or make them free.

I found we stayed up there far less on the Reflection than on the Solstice or Eclipse because of the ugliness of the lawn area now. And the majority of the time the Alcoves were empty. With maybe one or two being occupied.

To each their own. I'll be saving my money for other stuff. I would enjoy my balcony much more than an Alcove due to having some privacy and being able to actually see the ocean.