Fellow cruisers: do/do not courtesies to your shipmates

MermaidWatcher

On our last cruise, I thought everyone was very polite and well mannered, except for 2 incidents.

One afternoon, we ate lunch in the buffet. We got there a little early, so the crowds hadn't quite hit yet. 2 tables over was a 10 top and a large family came in and they were very happy to find a table where they could all sit together. They also had several children. They set their stuff down, jackets on the chairs, bags on the chairs and table, drinks and stuff like sunglasses and books on the table, and they took the kids to get food. The "empty" table was clearly taken,no ambiguity. Then this older couple came up and just shoved the stuff over out of 2 of the places, sat down and started eating. As the family came back to find the squatters at their table, several of them confronted the couple. The couple just shrugged it off and kept eating. The dining room was crowded enough it was very unlikely this family would be able to find another table big enough that they could all eat together, not to mention they now had their hands full of dinner plates and had to try to find other tables and move their stuff and their kids. The dining room was not so crowded that one couple couldn't easily find another table.

The other incident was as we were leaving the lounge after watching one of the games. You know how everyone gets up and leaves at once so it's very crowded. Suddenly my heel was run over by a man in a wheelchair behind me, literally just plowing into my calves from behind. I don't even know where he came from. I stepped aside trying to be polite. He just put his control in the forward position and kept going, running into everyone in front of us. I guess he thought he had the right to run everyone down even though they couldn't even see him coming.

On our last cruise, I thought everyone was very polite and well mannered, except for 2 incidents.

One afternoon, we ate lunch in the buffet. We got there a little early, so the crowds hadn't quite hit yet. 2 tables over was a 10 top and a large family came in and they were very happy to find a table where they could all sit together. They also had several children. They set their stuff down, jackets on the chairs, bags on the chairs and table, drinks and stuff like sunglasses and books on the table, and they took the kids to get food. The "empty" table was clearly taken,no ambiguity. Then this older couple came up and just shoved the stuff over out of 2 of the places, sat down and started eating. As the family came back to find the squatters at their table, several of them confronted the couple. The couple just shrugged it off and kept eating. The dining room was crowded enough it was very unlikely this family would be able to find another table big enough that they could all eat together, not to mention they now had their hands full of dinner plates and had to try to find other tables and move their stuff and their kids. The dining room was not so crowded that one couple couldn't easily find another table.

The other incident was as we were leaving the lounge after watching one of the games. You know how everyone gets up and leaves at once so it's very crowded. Suddenly my heel was run over by a man in a wheelchair behind me, literally just plowing into my calves from behind. I don't even know where he came from. I stepped aside trying to be polite. He just put his control in the forward position and kept going, running into everyone in front of us. I guess he thought he had the right to run everyone down even though they couldn't even see him coming.

So then what happened?

On a Carnival cruise, a passenger took an entire steam table container of fried chicken wings to her table for her group. The poor server just stood there with his mouth open for a minute and then went and got another container.

Not on a cruise, but at M Resort's buffet in Vegas. A lady took the whole bowl of lemons to her table. A worker told her she couldn't take all of those, and she said why? I need these? LOL They took it back from her. :D

I haven't really had anything too bad. Just I was walking on the sun deck(?) on the Monarch and a lady was POWER walking behind me, and said "excuse me" in the most rudest manner ever, like the whole deck was hers. I don't know why she didn't walk on the track though.

So then what happened?

The family left the table. They were obviously disgruntled, but they moved on. I don't know where they ended up. We were in a back corner of the dining room and didn't see where they ended up. The couple sat there and finished their meal at their 10 top like they owned the world.

The family left the table. They were obviously disgruntled, but they moved on. I don't know where they ended up. We were in a back corner of the dining room and didn't see where they ended up. The couple sat there and finished their meal at their 10 top like they owned the world.

Wow, what nerve of that couple!

Of course, plopping down with your food at such a table vastly hastens their departure...

Here's one: Please lower your voice in the ship library. I have been shocked at how loud people can be in what should be a quiet space. Same goes for the chapel, muster drill, films, shows, etc.

On our last cruise, we had people talking near us at two different shows. The first time, a large family took over one row two rows in back of us (no one was directly between us) and a man kept talking to his little boy. To me, if my child was that rambunctious that she wouldn't be still (fortunately at a very young age, she enjoyed watching the dancing and listening to the music), then maybe one of the adults should have taken the boy for a walk (another option would be to take advantage of the kidsitting, which has a reasonable rate -- the kid could watch kid-friendly videos and have a fun time). It wasn't the kid's fault, but the adults. And inconsiderate to those who can hear them jabbering away and inconsiderate to the performers.

The other time was just adults, again two rows in back of us. The show was going, but so were the mouths of these people. After throwing them a few looks, I shushed them, but they obviously couldn't care that they were being rude.

I agree with children unattended at the buffet. I witnessed a young boy holding a spoonful of something that had veggies and shrimp in it. He was picking out the shrimp with his fingers and putting the veggies back. Yuck! Oh, and yes, I did tell the staff.

I don't like touching the tongs either so I get my food and then go wash my hands before I eat.

You are not about to teach any one manners. Especially those wonderful folks that push in front of people in a wheelchair trying to get on an elevator...

Please please if you are in a wheel chair, understand there are other people around you also! While waiting for an elevator once, a woman in a wheel chair came barreling around the corner as it dinged. During this time she knocked over my 5 year old, including running over his hand when he feel. No apologies as she pushed onto the elevator in front of 8+ people already waiting. Just because you are in a wheel chair doesn't mean you get to go first if there is a line! Disney may say differently in their parks, but you aren't there!

Also please don't attempt to squeeze your wheel chair into an elevator that could fit maybe 1 person not in a wheelchair. They are machines, they don't know how many people are on them, they just stop at every floor that has the button pushed. I have actually been told to get out of an elevator by someone in a wheel chair because they couldn't get on :rolleyes:

Maybe it is just my luck, I seem to run into a lot ruder people who are IN wheel chairs than those who are not.

They should have just sat down anyway, pulled in a couple of extra chairs and crammed in tightly, and let the kids be as loud and silly as they wanted. :D

They should have just sat down anyway, pulled in a couple of extra chairs and crammed in tightly, and let the kids be as loud and silly as they wanted. :D

My thought was that they should have had the kids sit down in the remaining seats and then the parents go sit at another table since their seats were taken. Then thank the couple for watching their kids for them.

My thought was that they should have had the kids sit down in the remaining seats and then the parents go sit at another table since their seats were taken. Then thank the couple for watching their kids for them.

LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea!!!! Tee hee..... :p Would have served them right!!

Please please if you are in a wheel chair, understand there are other people around you also! While waiting for an elevator once, a woman in a wheel chair came barreling around the corner as it dinged. During this time she knocked over my 5 year old, including running over his hand when he feel. No apologies as she pushed onto the elevator in front of 8+ people already waiting. Just because you are in a wheel chair doesn't mean you get to go first if there is a line! Disney may say differently in their parks, but you aren't there!

Also please don't attempt to squeeze your wheel chair into an elevator that could fit maybe 1 person not in a wheelchair. They are machines, they don't know how many people are on them, they just stop at every floor that has the button pushed. I have actually been told to get out of an elevator by someone in a wheel chair because they couldn't get on :rolleyes:

Maybe it is just my luck, I seem to run into a lot ruder people who are IN wheel chairs than those who are not.

While it is only decent courtesy to defer to handicapped people, I have also found an arrogant sense of entitlement displayed by many. I am inclined to let someone in a wheelchair to go ahead, but I resent the assumption of many that they are entitled to always go to the head of the line.

While it is only decent courtesy to defer to handicapped people, I have also found an arrogant sense of entitlement displayed by many. I am inclined to let someone in a wheelchair to go ahead, but I resent the assumption of many that they are entitled to always go to the head of the line.

When I broke my leg and had to use a wheelchair, I gained a new perspective on what disabled people must deal with.

People walking on the clearly marked running side of the path. There's a reason we yell RUNNER PASSING at you every time we're about to pass you. You're on our side of the track and you haven't learnt from the dozen laps we just yelled RUNNER PASSING at you.

I do like the people relaxing and drinking on the deck chairs who cheer every time we run past them :)

"LIKE" :cool:

Door slamming:

I am really trying to watch my door as I leave and when I come back to the room. It's so easy to just let it slam shut. I especially try and be respectful early in the morning and late at night.

In the hall:

People in the hall outside YOUR door who talk loudly.

You're always going to hear things periodically.

But, the ones that talk at the top of their lungs, laugh loudly and scream....especially late at night or early in the morning....standing outside your door. Please be considerate.

That's what I thought too. They should have surrounded them and crowded them out like they weren't even there, maybe knocked over their drinks in their laps lol

OK, in reality, I would have walked away too. Although I loathe seeing such rudeness, I wouldn't have it in me to cause a big scene, even if it was started by someone else.

Oh, that's brilliant! LOVE it lol

Here is my list.

1. Always introduce yourself to your fellow cruisers at the table. If you are asked to join a table be gracious and join in the conversation. If a fellow cruiser asks to sit with you be gracious and welcome them. Even if your at a table for 2 introduce yourself to the tables around you.

I disagree with this. If my husband and I are sitting at a table for two, there is a reason for it. Leave us alone. If we wanted to be social during that meal, we would have asked to be seated with others. Thank you.

Amen! I spent six months in and out of a wheel chair after back surgery, and never expected to do anything except wait my turn.

Ok, I am in a wheelchair and a scooter and I feel that I must reply to this. Yes, there may be one or two bad apples in a wheelchair that annoy you but that does not mean that we all feel "entitled".

I go out of my way to be overly polite and to not push myself in anywhere but I always seem to run into folks who literally step over me to get to the buffet, who jump ahead of me to get into the elevator, who step right in front of me when I am moving (no, scooters do not have brakes that can stop on a dime) and who always stand in front of me during a show.

I have hit folks by mistake but it has never been because I ran into them, it is because they have run into me. I have had to wait for 30 minutes to get an elevator because no one would let me get on. I have given up on seeing any of the activities on deck because no matter where I position myself, some jerk will stand right in front of me.

Ok, I'm done with my rant but I would like to ask that those that complain about wheelchair users to spend a day doing what we do.

Totally agree. We were in line to board in Galveston, when a women in a wheel chair and her family demanded to go ahead of everyone else. Okay - she's in a wheelchair.

That night and every day on the TA she tottered on spike heels from one end of the ship to the other. Never saw here in a wheel chair again until disembarking in Barcelona - you guessed it! The entire troupe demanded to be let off first.:eek:

Ok, I am in a wheelchair and a scooter and I feel that I must reply to this. Yes, there may be one or two bad apples in a wheelchair that annoy you but that does not mean that we all feel "entitled".

I go out of my way to be overly polite and to not push myself in anywhere but I always seem to run into folks who literally step over me to get to the buffet, who jump ahead of me to get into the elevator, who step right in front of me when I am moving (no, scooters do not have brakes that can stop on a dime) and who always stand in front of me during a show.

I have hit folks by mistake but it has never been because I ran into them, it is because they have run into me. I have had to wait for 30 minutes to get an elevator because no one would let me get on. I have given up on seeing any of the activities on deck because no matter where I position myself, some jerk will stand right in front of me.

Ok, I'm done with my rant but I would like to ask that those that complain about wheelchair users to spend a day doing what we do.

I have experienced what I see as aggressive scooter activity. While I do defer to the handicapped, I am afraid that the category has been compromised by some unsavory and untruthful and, may I say psychopaths. I take it as it comes, but I don't automatically accept that everybody in a scooter is even actually handicapped, but possibly playing a game. That opinion is based on experience.

Archived