Fellow cruisers: do/do not courtesies to your shipmates

MermaidWatcher

I have experienced what I see as aggressive scooter activity. While I do defer to the handicapped, I am afraid that the category has been compromised by some unsavory and untruthful and, may I say psychopaths. I take it as it comes, but I don't automatically accept that everybody in a scooter is even actually handicapped, but possibly playing a game. That opinion is based on experience.

So a handicapped person has to prove to you he or she really is handicapped before you will treat them with respect? You know, there are lots of people in wheelchairs who would dearly love to jump up and dance around for you--if only they could.

So a handicapped person has to prove to you he or she really is handicapped before you will treat them with respect? You know, there are lots of people in wheelchairs who would dearly love to jump up and dance around for you--if only they could.

People in wheelchairs and people in scooters are quite often very different situations. People in scooters are ambulatory.

I have to agree with the post you responded to, many (not all) on scooters (versus few in wheelchairs) think that they are entitled simply because they are on a scooter. Many on scooters actually could jump up and dance. Most in wheelchairs don't have that option.

People in wheelchairs and people in scooters are quite often very different situations. People in scooters are ambulatory.

I have to agree with the post you responded to, many (not all) on scooters (versus few in wheelchairs) think that they are entitled simply because they are on a scooter. Many on scooters actually could jump up and dance. Most in wheelchairs don't have that option.

I remember in nursing school a teacher talking about how to understand and relate to the personalities of the elderly in long-term care. It went something like this: "They all look like a cute LOM or LOW but rest assured, if they were a jerk when they were young, they're likely to be a jerk when they're old." Kinda makes sense though we treat everyone the same. I guess the same holds true for the disabled as well.

I agree that being in a scooter or wheelchair in no way exempts you from good manners. If you have a cognitive disability that is another thing of course.

Always introduce yourself to your fellow cruisers at the table. If you are asked to join a table be gracious and join in the conversation. If a fellow cruiser asks to sit with you be gracious and welcome them. Even if your at a table for 2 introduce yourself to the tables around you.

While I certainly would agree that it is good manners to introduce yourself to others and to participate in conversations if you sit at larger tables, why would you feel as though you have to do so at a table for two? Many of us ask for a table for two because we want to dine with just the two of us to enjoy each other's company and not necessarily that of others. Would you introduce yourself to other tables around you if you were at a land based restaurant?

On a Carnival cruise, a passenger took an entire steam table container of fried chicken wings to her table for her group. The poor server just stood there with his mouth open for a minute and then went and got another container.

Shockingly awesome.

Maybe it is just my luck, I seem to run into a lot ruder people who are IN wheel chairs than those who are not.

That's not my experience. My mother is now a full time wheelchair user (and we use a manual chair) and I could tell you stories of rudeness from able bodied people that would make your hair curl.

Ok, I am in a wheelchair and a scooter and I feel that I must reply to this. Yes, there may be one or two bad apples in a wheelchair that annoy you but that does not mean that we all feel "entitled".

I go out of my way to be overly polite and to not push myself in anywhere but I always seem to run into folks who literally step over me to get to the buffet, who jump ahead of me to get into the elevator, who step right in front of me when I am moving (no, scooters do not have brakes that can stop on a dime) and who always stand in front of me during a show.

I have hit folks by mistake but it has never been because I ran into them, it is because they have run into me. I have had to wait for 30 minutes to get an elevator because no one would let me get on. I have given up on seeing any of the activities on deck because no matter where I position myself, some jerk will stand right in front of me.

Ok, I'm done with my rant but I would like to ask that those that complain about wheelchair users to spend a day doing what we do.

I agree - being in a chair or having a loved one in a chair gives you a whole new perspective.

I know that there are rude wheelchair / scooter users out there but saying that they are all or mostly rude is like saying all or mostly all able bodied people are rude.

A few bad apples spoil the bunch - it's the nasty remarks, the ignorant few, the ones who feel entitled, - they are the ones who stick out in your experiences.

Most rude peeps I can deal with as they are bothering me for only a minute or two or I can simply leave the situation. The balcony issues are the ones that really bug me cause it does detract from my cruise when folks leave the balcony light on( can't see the ocean or the stars or sit out there in my robe late at night) or chain smoke out there or argue out there. ( Yep we have had all those on different cruises. one cruise the couple below would wind up every afternoon screaming at each other to the point we almost called security)We pledge to leave our light off, not chain smoke and talk quietly so as not to disturb others.

Hello dream balcony neighbor.:)

We just took our first cruise with my mother since she's had to start using a wheelchair or scooter. We found just about everyone on the ship very courteous and helpful to her, but when it came time to take an elevator for dinner, all bets were off the table. We usually waited 20-30 minutes every night trying to get her into an elevator; just her, mind you, because after we had her safely in one, my husband and I took the stairs. The worst were the people who'd show up to wait as an elevator arrived, then look down at the floor as they walked in front of her to board first. The best were the two couples also on our deck that couldn't use stairs either. They realized pretty quickly that my husband and I weren't looking for special treatment because my mother was in a wheelchair, so if they were waiting too, they'd wait with her and let us go on down the stairs.

We just took our first cruise with my mother since she's had to start using a wheelchair or scooter. We found just about everyone on the ship very courteous and helpful to her, but when it came time to take an elevator for dinner, all bets were off the table. We usually waited 20-30 minutes every night trying to get her into an elevator; just her, mind you, because after we had her safely in one, my husband and I took the stairs. The worst were the people who'd show up to wait as an elevator arrived, then look down at the floor as they walked in front of her to board first. The best were the two couples also on our deck that couldn't use stairs either. They realized pretty quickly that my husband and I weren't looking for special treatment because my mother was in a wheelchair, so if they were waiting too, they'd wait with her and let us go on down the stairs.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Cruise lines need to have queues set with ropes for elevators so that people can board in the order of their arrival. That way it's fair for everyone.

• 3 weeks later...
How about people who are finished eating lingering in the buffet when it is crowded while others are walking around looking for a place to sit. There are plenty of places to sit and visit.

I haven't even gone on a cruise yet and Already my Blood Pressure is up. Must control my mouth, must control my mouth, must control my mouth!

Wow! Talk about sweating the small stuff. I’ve only been on 8 cruises but have always found a table at breakfast, I may have to walk around a little, and it probably won’t be the one by the window, but soooo what. When I sit down, I want to enjoy my breakfast, drink my coffee and chat with my friends. That’s why I'm on a cruise to relax, not be rushed. Chairs by the pool - gets a little more difficult, but usually there are chairs, just not the "prime" location. I don’t save chairs, but I like it when my friend saves one for me. But we never leave them for hours unattended. (Do unto others as you would have them do unto you) I'd like it if people were a little more courteous, didn’t drop the spoon in the food, it makes the handle sticky. But it happens, so I wipe my hands, and put the spoon back on the plate (if there is a plate) if not I leave it in the food. Oh wait it’s more fun to get upset, I think I burn more calories that way. Remember mostly old people cruise (me include) and we are crotchety and we paid a lot of money and we are entitled! So we moan and complain. Wow that makes for a fun trip. I recommend you DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF you'll have a lot more fun!

What I hate is people who complain! Thank you Lord for everything you have given me.

Balcony lights wow, theship already has lights outside on....

You gots shades, drapes, use them ven the door ajar the fresh air will go in.

Rudeness is addressed with kindness... and being rude and complaining to a rude person is just adding fuel to the fire. learn to ignore, look the other way, tehn to join in ....

The biggest rudeness is anywhere, anyplace CUTTING THE LINE.

in a car, at the airport, anywhere, anyplace.

not goingto post every single what rudeness....

Thank you for sharing all of this. Now I know what to look out for. I also know to warn my son, who at 13 holds doors open for women, to watch out he could be there for a while, lol. I was raised to show respect for others. If their stuff is there I won't touch it......unless they never come back.:).

I am old school. I always open the door for a female. Be she 3 years old or 103 years old. On the very rare occasion I have been scolded, with an ugly look and been told by the female that she is perfectly capable of opening her own door. I smile, appoligze and simply say 'I am sorry but, my parents raised me to be a gentleman. If your parents did not raise you to be a lady, that is not my problem'. :p

I am old school. I always open the door for a female. Be she 3 years old or 103 years old. On the very rare occasion I have been scolded, with an ugly look and been told by the female that she is perfectly capable of opening her own door. I smile, appoligze and simply say 'I am sorry but, my parents raised me to be a gentleman. If your parents did not raise you to be a lady, that is not my problem'. :p

You really had me when you said "I am sorry but, my parents raised me to be a gentleman.:)"

Then you lost me when you said :mad: "If your parents did not rase you to be a lady, that is not my problem." Do you really think a "gentleman" would have said that last part?

Both my fiance and a close male friend always open doors for me, and I appreciate it. The only thing I don't like about it is when, for example, we're entering a restaurant. Both will keep holding the door as other people push on through, and not just women. Rarely will someone take the door from them.

It has happened that as many as eight people have ended up between us, which isn't right. I won't be taken advantage of that way by rude persons and so I walk on up to the counter and get our seat request in. If I waited for him, we would end up waiting another 10 minutes for a table even though we were there first. That happened once, and only once.

Laurie,

That is what I mean about my son. He held the door open for a friend and her daughter and everyone rushed through the door. He was stuck holding the door like he was meant to be there. Luckily enough the friend and her daughter saved a spot for him. I love that he does this, yet hates that people take advantage of it.

I have experienced what I see as aggressive scooter activity. While I do defer to the handicapped, I am afraid that the category has been compromised by some unsavory and untruthful and, may I say psychopaths. I take it as it comes, but I don't automatically accept that everybody in a scooter is even actually handicapped, but possibly playing a game. That opinion is based on experience.

Ha! I would love to see a psychopath in a scooter paying a game on me. Oh that wold be RICH and my mind is having fun conjuring up images.

You need to see the South Park episode where Cartman is so fat he decides to "do something about it" (finally) and gets himself a scooter. He's loving life, at the head of every line at Disney, at the buffet, and demanding that everyone widen their doorways for him. Eventually he screams up the line "what the H is that kid doing in this line? He's not even fat!!" and of course the kid has no legs....

I've had the Scooter Mafia dart and cut in front of me, use their baskets to load up food, and generally be a pain in the neck. It doesn't seem to be the elderly as much as the very heavy. I understand that there may be other physical reasons but those seem to be co morbid with obesity.

Well, there but for the grace of god go I. If I keep eating the way I am I'll be on wheels soon enough! But I promise not to cut people off and zoom in front of them!

How about people who are finished eating lingering in the buffet when it is crowded while others are walking around looking for a place to sit. There are plenty of places to sit and visit.

THIS. And the same goes for sitting and playing cards while waiting for your cabin to be ready on embarkation day. There are people getting on who are harried and stressed and hungry. Eat and go play your cards on a less pricey piece of real estate.

Wow! Talk about sweating the small stuff. I’ve only been on 8 cruises but have always found a table at breakfast, I may have to walk around a little, and it probably won’t be the one by the window, but soooo what. When I sit down, I want to enjoy my breakfast, drink my coffee and chat with my friends. That’s why I'm on a cruise to relax, not be rushed. Chairs by the pool - gets a little more difficult, but usually there are chairs, just not the "prime" location. I don’t save chairs, but I like it when my friend saves one for me. But we never leave them for hours unattended. (Do unto others as you would have them do unto you) I'd like it if people were a little more courteous, didn’t drop the spoon in the food, it makes the handle sticky. But it happens, so I wipe my hands, and put the spoon back on the plate (if there is a plate) if not I leave it in the food. Oh wait it’s more fun to get upset, I think I burn more calories that way. Remember mostly old people cruise (me include) and we are crotchety and we paid a lot of money and we are entitled! So we moan and complain. Wow that makes for a fun trip. I recommend you DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF you'll have a lot more fun!

What I hate is people who complain! Thank you Lord for everything you have given me.

On our cruise to Alaska, there were quite a few people who would get window seats at breakfast and then sit there the entire day for the scenic cruising. It was very cold outside, but there were plenty of empty window seats in other areas of the ship. I guess they liked staying close to the food. It was frustrating when you had to walk around the buffet area several times trying to find a table and you see several groups at the same tables for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We ended up getting tableware and going out to sit by the Lido Pool because we couldn't find a table in the dining area.

My next cruise I need to be more aware of the shipboard activities....particularly the midnight olympics. I'm not sure of the entire venue, but on my last cruise they held the 50 meter dash outside of my stateroom; complete with multiple qualifying heats.

There are so many people that do not understand that others like to get to sleep before 2 a.m.

Wow! Talk about sweating the small stuff. I’ve only been on 8 cruises but have always found a table at breakfast, I may have to walk around a little, and it probably won’t be the one by the window, but soooo what. When I sit down, I want to enjoy my breakfast, drink my coffee and chat with my friends. ]

Crowded buffets typically aren't a problem for us because we like to sit outside, but our cruise last Fall from Boston opened our eyes to loiters. Sally and I took our elderly mothers who were not comfortable in the cool outside dinning areas. So we found that we couldn't eat together a couple of mornings because the buffets were full. I even remember a few tables being held by just one person reading a book. We tried to solve the delima by switching to the MDR for breakfast, but then we almost missed our tour because the wait service was so bad, twice. Lucky for us that we typically ate lunch in port.

Good courtesy is not loitering in the buffet during peak times.

Burt

Be courteous to fellow cruisers with disabilities. Last year I cruised RCI with my aunt's family: her parents are both in their 80s and her father must use a wheelchair to get around. It was appalling how many people zoomed by when waiting for the elevator and jammed in before we could get him on the elevator. Most people will take an elevator because it's faster, or because they're tired of lazy, but some fellow cruisers like my aunt's father had no other way to get around. If you see someone waiting for an elevator who obviously needs to use it, don't push in front of them just to save you a few flights of stairs!

Good courtesy is not loitering in the buffet during peak times. Burt

I would certainly agree with the above. Take time to enjoy your meal without rushing. It should not be gobble, gulp, and go!;) BUT, if the buffet seating area is crowded and folks are looking for a table, it is not considerate to sit and read or play cards.

Archived