So Who's Sailing the Splendor When She Comes to NY Town?

MrPete

We had no issues with the propulsion. That happened 2 cruises before us. If you go to the Roll Call section for Splendor Kruizing Kahuna's......read the last 3 pages. Most of us came back with the same opinion....(although we met GREAT people).

I don't mean to be a "Debbie Downer". We waited 2 years for this cruise. We even have her booked out of here in NYC and contemplating changing it. So very disappointed in just about everything and this was not a cheap vacation for us. We are very glad to be home. Sorry.

Most of the complaints aren't really splendor specific, So personally im not that concerned. Poor service, but that crew could all be gone by the time she reaches NYC. All those sick people isn't Carnivals fault. Long/messy embarkation/debarkation is port-specific. The best complaint I saw - too many fat people with disabilities. Really? Sounds like there were a few too many judgmental people on board with that one.

If people are going to complain about a ship, I'd like to see complaints about the actual ship. I'm sorry people had a bad time, but a lot of those complaints had nothing to do with the Splendor specifically or weren't even Carnival's fault. Nothing at all in that thread made me think twice about our upcoming cruise.

I like you went back and read the posts. Yes there were really varying opinions as to their feelings for the cruise. Yes I had to chuckle at some of the posts, some like I really did not mind the affirmed with their scooters, but...., giving one's BMI, really? Sick people yes it is that time of the year--we have had some nights where our gym ( I am one of the owners) has been a ghost town because of illness, I honestly do not think they blamed that one us. I am sad that they did not have a good cruise, but wonder if perhaps they were a little too critical of the ship itself. I have heard that Long Beach is having some issues with boarding and will probably experience that when I port from there. I am doing a Hawaiian cruise in Oct and will go on this cruise except on the Miracle.

I am one of those crazy people that think a cruise is what you make it. I love being with my husband, family and love the time we are together.

I am sorry for those that were disappointed however I just thankful the Lord has blessed us with the ability to afford one of our favorite pleasures. As far as the crew I hate that they were not on top of thier game. I honestly in 25+ yrs of cruising have not experienced much of this and certainly not in the volume the few posters mentioned. I however am not one that feels I need much. I am the type that picks up so my cleaning lady doesn't have to do so much.

Thank you to the poster that told me to look at the roll call as it made me feel better about the cruise. I have found over the years that not everyone has the same experiences as I on a ship. One of my favorite cruises we had a very active roll call and when I went back I swear one of the posters had gone on a different ship! I don't dooubt that the posters experienced what they experienced, I just don't think it would have bothered me in the same way it did them.

Most of the complaints aren't really splendor specific, So personally im not that concerned. Poor service, but that crew could all be gone by the time she reaches NYC. All those sick people isn't Carnivals fault. Long/messy embarkation/debarkation is port-specific. The best complaint I saw - too many fat people with disabilities. Really? Sounds like there were a few too many judgmental people on board with that one.

If people are going to complain about a ship, I'd like to see complaints about the actual ship. I'm sorry people had a bad time, but a lot of those complaints had nothing to do with the Splendor specifically or weren't even Carnival's fault. Nothing at all in that thread made me think twice about our upcoming cruise.

IrishNYC....you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but you were not there.

I am not trying to discourage anyone from this ship and no one has posted a review here yet. I will however give you a few examples. I would also like to add that our cruise was NOT ruined. We still had a decent time, but it was due to the tons of great people we met.

1. The obese people. (this subject came up on the roll call) I did not post anything about it, but the people that did are correct. They are talking about the ones that had rented motor scooters. NOT disabled people. They would run you over ....they would slam into you at the breakfast buffet....get OFF of the scooter...shove you over to grab food and get back on the scooter. When it came to getting off the five ports...one was tendered. Miraculously they could walk when they found out no scooters were allowed on the tenders. We were with all of these people for FIFTEEN days. Everyone knew everyone. Their sense of entitlement was insane. One woman from Canada (in her fifties) used a walker for the first two days. She was horrible. Day three to day 15...again....MIRACULOUS recovery. I know that none of this is Carnivals fault, but it was out of control.

2. Food....Eggs Benedict. My husbands favorite. The first day....made correctly. Second time they served it....leftover meatloaf hidden under eggs. Third time....hot dogs and french fries under the eggs. Fourth time, processed turkey roll. DISGUSTING.

3. Never anyone at the carving station.....

4. At dinner...3 out of 10 people at our table ordered the comfort food pot roast. With a steak knife, not one of us could cut through it. Needless to say, we all had to send it back. Horrible.

5. Meatloaf....OMG....it was the big joke on the ship the following morning.

I could go on and on about the food, but I will be here all day. YES, there were some good items we enjoyed, but when sooo many things are bad, it leaves a sour taste in ones mouth.

6. FIVE DAYS IN PORT. Okay...weather is NOT Carnivals fault. We had ONE out of FIFTEEN days of seeing the sun. Now....Carnival has this wonderful place for smokers. It is aft, looking down on the pool. There were many, many smokers on this cruise. Carnival decided to shut this deck down on the ONE SUNNY DAY heading back to Long Beach to remove all of the tables and chairs to mop the deck. ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? We had 5 port days and you choose to do this on our only sunny day? Why did you not do this on a port day when no one was on the ship? Really??????

7. Malcolm, the cruise director. None of us saw him in fifteen days. Really? HE thought he was funny at the shows. He once made reference to all the over eaters "passing gas in the elevators" Very offensive and I do not even remember anyone laughing.

You are absolutely correct in saying that it is not Carnivals fault for half the ship being sick...BUT.....and my husband and I witnessed this. In the buffet room, we were eating our breakfast. The (wonderful) people that clear and clean the tables do NOT wear gloves. Sneezing and coughing were a constant on this cruise. We saw one man blow his nose into the linen napkin and of course, after he left, the bus boy picked it up off the table. UGH. Really???

If not for the wonderful friends we made, we would have been very bored with the 8 sea days. There was not much to do.

Embarking...NIGHTMARE...NIGHTMARE..NIGHTMARE. We will NEVER go to Long Beach again. EVER.

Listen, I could go on and on. I do not want to discourage anyone about booking the Splendor. We all spent a lot of $$$ for this vacation. As I stated before....we also have it booked for when it comes to NYC.

For anyone that wants to hear the positives:

STAFF: wonderful

CABINS: clean and comfortable

Ship was constantly being cleaned.

Yup....that is about it.

We are sailing on the Splendor Sep 6th. We were also on the 15-day cruise to Hawaii. While our trip was not one of our favorites, we are still looking forward to September on the Splendor. I was one of the unfortunate ones who was sick almost the entire cruise. I struggled with a cold, not the flu, and spent a lot of time in my cabin the first 4 days. I also struggled with motion sickness which was very unusual. I had Bonine and ginger gum and they worked for me. We were all disappointed with the food, but we also never went hungry. Our room stewards were absolutely fantastic, and our MDR staff were exceptional. We are looking to our September cruise as a second chance of sorts. Every cruise we take has been an adventure for us. Some great (Spirit - Mexican Riviera) and some just Ok (Splendor - Hawaii). Who knows, maybe the next one will be the best yet!!:D

we are on the May 1st sailing. I am hoping it is not as bad as people are saying or this will be our last sailing with Carnival. We have done NCL for the past 3 cruises and have been happy with them, but figured we try a new ship out of NYC since we did the Miracle twice already. I hope they made a good decision by bringing the Splendor to NYC because it's a big market for cruises there..

[quote name='lovesonny']I live in Vernon, NY...between Utica and Syracuse. We are going onthe Splendor in May. No flights![/quote]

I know that area very well, family has a buiness in vernon across from Dibbles Inn. What form of transportation are you planning on taking to the port? I don't like the idea of driving in NY city or parking prices.

[quote name='cruiserider444']we are on the May 1st sailing. I am hoping it is not as bad as people are saying or this will be our last sailing with Carnival. We have done NCL for the past 3 cruises and have been happy with them, but figured we try a new ship out of NYC since we did the Miracle twice already. I hope they made a good decision by bringing the Splendor to NYC because it's a big market for cruises there..[/quote]

Have you joined the roll call for the May 1 cruise?

We are sailing on the Splendor on Jan. 20/14, this will be my 3rd cruise and this is the first cruise for our kids ages 14 and 12. We were lucky and got one of the secret cabins, alot larger and booked the kids across the hall in an inside cabin. Great prices. We will be driving to New York from New Brunswick, CANADA. 345 days to go!

[quote name='susie8862']

2. Food....Eggs Benedict. My husbands favorite. The first day....made correctly. Second time they served it....leftover meatloaf hidden under eggs. Third time....hot dogs and french fries under the eggs. Fourth time, processed turkey roll. DISGUSTING.

.[/quote]

You've got to be kidding me. Hot dogs and french fries in an eggs benedict? What the hell? LOL Was this at the buffet or in the MDR?

[quote name='MissKIA']You've got to be kidding me. Hot dogs and french fries in an eggs benedict? What the hell? LOL Was this at the buffet or in the MDR?[/quote]
The buffet....for breakfast. Everyday, one assumed it was Eggs Benedict, but there was always a "surprise" underneath the eggs. Only once, was it made correctly.

[quote name='susie8862']The buffet....for breakfast. Everyday, one assumed it was Eggs Benedict, but there was always a "surprise" underneath the eggs. Only once, was it made correctly.[/QUOTE]

I noticed that too. Kind of freaky weird! To say they got a little 'creative' with the food was a complete understatement! I started eating oatmeal every day. It seemed the safest route. lol

we are going on the splendor may 1st also. i think i already did the rollcall but will check to make sure. taking my daughter and her hubby for their 40th birthday. we have an aft wrap with the kids right next door in an extended balcony. should be fun.

[quote name='leaski']I noticed that too. Kind of freaky weird! To say they got a little 'creative' with the food was a complete understatement! I started eating oatmeal every day. It seemed the safest route. lol[/quote]
OMG....Hi Lea....we met on the ship once...do not know if you remember me...My name is Lisa and Hubby is Ron. I remember you well. I called you LEA and you said it was pronounced LEE...if I remember correctly.:o What GREAT GREAT friends we met on this cruise...we miss you all already.

[quote name='susie8862']OMG....Hi Lea....we met on the ship once...do not know if you remember me...My name is Lisa and Hubby is Ron. I remember you well. I called you LEA and you said it was pronounced LEE...if I remember correctly.:o What GREAT GREAT friends we met on this cruise...we miss you all already.[/QUOTE]

Of course I remember you! We spoke a few times out in the smoking area. I think the people we traveled with and met on board were what made this cruise for us!! Maybe we will have the pleasure of sailing together again in the future. Hopefully I won't be sick then!! :o

Lea :)

Just for informational purposes, I want to point out one issue we had with our room. We were in cabin 8457 and my mom and sister were in 8451.

These rooms are located right under where they stack the lounge chairs at night. Very late each and every night they drug those chairs around to stack them and very early, each morning, once at about 3:30 am, they went through the reverse process.

Several mornings DH and I swore we were going to run upstairs and wring someones neck! We never did. Didn't think it would make a lasting difference, so we just dealt with it. We never needed an alarm clock, that's for sure!

If you're a light sleeper, you might want to avoid these areas at the back on deck 8.

The thing we loved best about our rooms was the convenience to the Lido buffet for early morning coffee, and to the Gold Pearl dining room for dinner, and the lounges and piano bars.

[quote name='leaski']Of course I remember you! We spoke a few times out in the smoking area. I think the people we traveled with and met on board were what made this cruise for us!! Maybe we will have the pleasure of sailing together again in the future. Hopefully I won't be sick then!! :o

Lea :)[/quote]
So glad you remember us. I know that there were so many of us on deck 10 every day,.

LOL....WE WERE IN 8425 and had the same problem every morning. We initially thought the life boats were banging against the ship. EVERY SINGLE NIGHT we were awoken by this horrible noise. I totally agree that it is the PERFECT place on the ship (sooo close to everything)...but the banging is INSANE.

[quote name='susie8862']The buffet....for breakfast. Everyday, one assumed it was Eggs Benedict, but there was always a "surprise" underneath the eggs. Only once, was it made correctly.[/quote]

That is totally bizarre yet hilarious.

I guess not so funny if you're really craving proper eggs benedict though. :D

[quote name='cruiserider444']we are on the May 1st sailing. I am hoping it is not as bad as people are saying or this will be our last sailing with Carnival. We have done NCL for the past 3 cruises and have been happy with them, but figured we try a new ship out of NYC since we did the Miracle twice already. I hope they made a good decision by bringing the Splendor to NYC because it's a big market for cruises there..[/quote]

[SIZE=3]Is this anne? Anne and Michael? We were on the miracle with you..was it 2008 or 2009? ohh the cabin you had was soooooo nice and I use your packing list every year! Do you still have the site? We are on the splendor's April 8th sailing. It would of been perfect if we sailed together again :([/SIZE]

my bf and i booked our first real "more than just the weekend" vacation together on the Splendor May 17th. we were going to do the whole Disney thing, but the price was definitely too good for us to pass up! to say we're excited is an understatement. then again, we're young and it's going to be the first cruise/vacation not with parents either of us have ever had.

[quote name='geesherry']BF and I are booked too! But not til December :( Soooo far away.

Our roll call is pretty quiet, is that common? I'm used to a few folks chatting 11 months out. More usually chime in around final payment.

I can't wait![/quote]

December 27 for 9 of us so far to celebrate my DD Sweet 16!!!! We can't wait either!!!! Nice way to ring in the New Year too!

Archived