More important? Ship or itinerary?

shibes372

Hi,

I don't think it is an either/or decision, but a weighted average based on personal preference. For example, a great itinerary on a very old ship may be less appealing than a good itinerary on a new an innovative ship like the Epic.

For me, the weighted average is skewed toward the itinerary. I look for where I want to go, then select the best ship w/in my price range. I've been on 25 cruises on 7 cruise lines, so I feel sure you will be happy on any ship in the major cruise lines, but some ships you will like more than others, just like you will like some itineraries more than others.

There are some ships though that are in a class by themselves where they are the destination, e.g. NCL Epic, RCCL Oasis, RCCL Allure, NCL Breakaway.

For your first cruise, on these itineraries, I would lean toward the Epic. You will remember the ship moreso than you will remember which beach you visited. Epic is just so innovative, and it will have some of, if not the, best entertainment at sea. Mitigating that though, I tend to not like sea days, others love them. You should factor that in as well. All in all, I'd still lean to the Epic.

I wouldn't agonize too much over your decision. I think you will be happy on any that you've listed.

If this is your first cruise, I wouldn't make it all about the ship. Here's why...

My first cruise was on RCL's Majesty (their smallest, least appealing ship), but for my first cruise, I didn't know any better. I thought the ship was a behemoth and enjoyed the entire trip. I would also sail on Majesty again. It was a great ship to see if cruising was for me.

I'm going on my 5th cruise on Oasis and each cruise has been on a slightly larger ship, each one with a feature set better than the last. I also have friends who want the more personal experience of a smaller ship. I think the service is great across the board but maybe I'm not spoiled yet.

After this cruise on Oasis, I plan on looking for itinerary over ship size. You can only go to the Caribbean so many times before wanting more. Alaska?

Definitely read up on the ports (this site is gold), some are real dives. Most are very similar.

Good Ports: Cozumel, Grand Cayman

Meh Ports: Nassau, Belize City,

Hi there! I'm a first-time cruiser, trying to schedule our December 2013 honeymoon adventure. We've settled on Norwegian as having the most offerings in the style and price range we'd prefer. We're childless 31-year-olds who want some romance, adventure, fun, and good food on our own time table.

The problem is, I'm totally stuck on three different cruises. The first is on NCLs newest ship, the Epic. We're inclined towards that one b/c of the myriad options for food and entertainment. However, I'm not that thrilled with the itinerary (St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Nassau). There are two other trips (New Orleans to Montego Bay, George Town, Cozumel on the Jewel and Tampa to Mahogany Bay, Belize City, Costa Maya on the Dawn) that sound so much more interesting to me, but the ships are older and less grandiose.

So my question is: What's more important about the cruise? The ship b/c that's where you'll spend the most time, or the islands b/c that's where you get to adventure?

Recently did the Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel cruise out of New Orleans on RCI Navigator OTS. I loved the itinerary particularly because of New Orleans - much more fun that Tampa - however, you may lose a day or two of warm weather. Regarding the Jewel, sailed on her in 2009 and loved it. The best thermal suite at sea, but I've never been on one of the mega ships.

We are roughly the same age as well. Here are some things that my wife and I agree on.

1. The places that we see are our main focus. We can have fun on the ship no matter the age group and prefer not to cruise with a bunch of younger people.

2. We didnt like Jamaica. We were accosted the whole time by people wanting to sell us drugs. Just because we were younger, we were constantly targets. We chose to go to Sunset beach for the day and even the hotel staff wouldnt leave us alone. We did love the food and the Redstripe on tap, but we prefer other islands.

3. Our good friends have a home in Belize and it is such a great place to go. Tubing through the caves is great and the food is inexpensive and excellent. The down side is the cruise ships tender and arent always able to make it in or like someone else said, civil unrest can effect it as well.

4. As much time as you are on the ship, I might prefer the Epic but I am not picky.

Do some research on each of the ports and go on the one that has the places you would most likely want to see based on activities. I was surprised that the Caymans were one of my favorite stops because of the stingrays and prior research seemed as though it was just a boring place with 7 miles of beach(which can be plenty fun in itself but lacks the stories you go home and tell everyone about).

Depending on where we are cruising, sometimes it is the ship, sometimes the destinations, especially those we have never visited before. Our fun cruises are Alaska early Fall, and New England mid Fall (trees and leaves). We have seen enough ports in the Carribean as after you get one or two streets off of the main venue it is a 3rd world adventure. Yes you will get pestered to buy this and that at some destinations. This cruise for us is the Eastern Med for 12 days. It hits alot of the places I studied in History in High School. Nothing beats a closeup view of those places. One last thing is we were spoiled rotten on our first Cruise with a Penthouse Suite. That has not changed and we like the one's on the rear of the ship. No wind and no odors. Good Luck with the Wedding and your cruise.

We are at the 30 plus cruises...Now, we still look at the itinerary for most except the Caribbean, then we look at the ship....But when we first started out cruising, we looked at the itinerary first.....The ship is important, but I would pick an interesting itinerary. I would also look for a balanced trip...wit some sea days.. The Caribbean is pretty laid back, Alaska BEAUTIFUL, and most Europe cruises VERY port intensive. HAPPY CRUISING!!!:D:D

I guess I'm a little weird: The more ports for me, the more attractive the cruise becomes in my mind. I do enjoy a little bit of time at sea, but prefer mostly to be ashore, and to wake up in a different place almost every day. That's one reason I love Oceania, although those ships are so wonderful, perhaps even I could stand an itinerary with lots of sea days! In any case, itinerary is more important to me than the ship. However, I'd say my husband would probably rate ship and itinerary a tie!

I disagree that every island in the Caribbean is the same. Of course, I'm more likely to NOT go to a beach in the Caribbean, which might explain why I feel that way.

We too, were very excited about the Western cruise including Belize, Isla Roatan and Costa Maya. We thought it would be awesome to see something exotic as well. We were VERY disappointed! We did not feel safe at all on Belize, the one we looked most forward to. We spent a total of 45 minutes off the ship (Carnival Dream, a beautiful ship). Costa Maya was a very small port, Isla Roatan also a very small port. Cozumel was the best port which we had been to a number of times before. (We zip lined here and THAT was great! Did not do a ship sponsored event for this and felt very safe) Normally, we would wander off, away from the port to explore, but this time, we did not feel safe doing so on 2 of the 4 islands. Many people we talked to on the ship were in agreement. As always, however, the cruise is what you make of it. Personally, I love the Eastern Caribbean. St. Maarten is my favorite. Lots of activity as well as serenity if that is what you are looking for. We have chosen the EPIC for December 14th. We have never sailed Norwegian and the ship looks great and has had great reviews. Whatever you choose, enjoy you time together as you start your new life! Congratulations!

We too, were very excited about the Western cruise including Belize, Isla Roatan and Costa Maya. We thought it would be awesome to see something exotic as well. We were VERY disappointed! We did not feel safe at all on Belize, the one we looked most forward to. We spent a total of 45 minutes off the ship (Carnival Dream, a beautiful ship). Costa Maya was a very small port, Isla Roatan also a very small port. Cozumel was the best port which we had been to a number of times before. (We zip lined here and THAT was great! Did not do a ship sponsored event for this and felt very safe) Normally, we would wander off, away from the port to explore, but this time, we did not feel safe doing so on 2 of the 4 islands. Many people we talked to on the ship were in agreement. As always, however, the cruise is what you make of it. Personally, I love the Eastern Caribbean. St. Maarten is my favorite. Lots of activity as well as serenity if that is what you are looking for. We have chosen the EPIC for December 14th. We have never sailed Norwegian and the ship looks great and has had great reviews. Whatever you choose, enjoy you time together as you start your new life! Congratulations!

We loved Belize, Roatan and Costa Maya, but we did shore excursions there rather than walk around or lie on a beach, so that might have made the difference in perception - along with, of course, personal preferences about cruising and ports of call. If you mostly want to walk around, shop, and lie on a beach, itinerary in the Caribbean might be more important than it is in, say, Europe - and no, Belize is not the place to go. I'm sure it is beautiful inside the country, but the capital city/port city of Belize City is NOT. We saw some birds on the excursion trip we took, but quite honestly, you could see the same ones in southern Florida if you try! We, however, like the "less traveled" ports, and so that influences our choice of itinerary, and to a lesser extent, choice of ship, as some cruise lines are more likely to go to the lesser-traveled ports than others. Belize and Costa Maya have Mayan ruins, which were interesting - although I suppose you can see those in often-visited (at least by plane) places like Cancun. For me, Costa Maya was more than I expected, because I took a shore excursion in the morning (Mayan ruins) and then a short cab ride to the fishing/beach town a couple miles down from the dock. The latter was alone, and as a woman, I felt comfortable - but everyone's comfort level is different. We are giving the southern Caribbean a try this year (on a different cruise line than usual) - sounds much more built up, and much more beachy, but I am really looking forward to it, as I always find every Caribbean island I go to different and interesting.

I haven't been on Norwegian, so can't provide feedback on their ships! However, as I mentioned above, I usually book more on itinerary (and days in ports, which I like) rather than cruise line or ships, although I have to admit that my husband and I are hopelessly in love with Oceania Cruises, and they only have 2 different size/type of ships, so my decision making process is greatly streamlined! In general, though, yes, you'll be on the ship a lot at night, but you'll also be (assuming you want to be) in the ports a lot, so you are wise to consider both! Have a great cruise, no matter which one it is!

Hi there! I'm a first-time cruiser, trying to schedule our December 2013 honeymoon adventure. We've settled on Norwegian as having the most offerings in the style and price range we'd prefer. We're childless 31-year-olds who want some romance, adventure, fun, and good food on our own time table.

The problem is, I'm totally stuck on three different cruises. The first is on NCLs newest ship, the Epic. We're inclined towards that one b/c of the myriad options for food and entertainment. However, I'm not that thrilled with the itinerary (St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Nassau). There are two other trips (New Orleans to Montego Bay, George Town, Cozumel on the Jewel and Tampa to Mahogany Bay, Belize City, Costa Maya on the Dawn) that sound so much more interesting to me, but the ships are older and less grandiose.

So my question is: What's more important about the cruise? The ship b/c that's where you'll spend the most time, or the islands b/c that's where you get to adventure?

When I first started itinerary came first. But I am going to begin my 22nd cruise tomorrow and it will be the first time I have repeated a ship. I like to try different ships, so now the ship is the most important.

Fifteen cruises ago I repeated an itinerary (on different ships). I have been to several of the ports several times. A different ship going to either a favorite island or a new port is what I look for.

I would recommend Celebrity Eclipse 14 night southern carribean .You cruise for two days to Aruba , Antigua, St Lucia , Curacao ,Grenada, Barbados ,St Maartin and St Thomas .

There are a few sea days sprinkled in and that way its not so port intensive .

The Norwegian Epic is huge with 4,000 people on it . I remember in St Thomas they took over the whole beach .

Here is the celebrity link :

http://www.celebritycruises.com/explore/ships/detail.do?shipCode=EC

NCL Epic review by Frommers :

http://www.thestar.com/life/travel/2010/07/21/norwegian_epic_is_a_titanic_flop.html

I would recommend Celebrity Eclipse 14 night southern carribean .You cruise for two days to Aruba , Antigua, St Lucia , Curacao ,Grenada, Barbados ,St Maartin and St Thomas .

There are a few sea days sprinkled in and that way its not so port intensive .

The Norwegian Epic is huge with 4,000 people on it . I remember in St Thomas they took over the whole beach .

Here is the celebrity link :

http://www.celebritycruises.com/explore/ships/detail.do?shipCode=EC

NCL Epic review by Frommers :

http://www.thestar.com/life/travel/2010/07/21/norwegian_epic_is_a_titanic_flop.html

We loved the Eclipse two week cruise! Would also recommend it

We've been lucky and have cruised on three new ships to the Caribbean on three different lines- Cunard, Hal, Princess and enjoyed the ships and what they offered in terms of ambience, entertainment, dining, etc. and enjoyed the romance and "adventure" of cruising and being at sea very much. And then we took one cruise on one of Celebrity's older ships which was disappointing. Old ships may be in need of refreshing and this particular ship had problems with their plumbing which was kind of a drag. We managed to enjoy ourselves anyway-but I'll take a newer ship over an older one if I can. As for the ports-we were really excited that one of the itineraries included Costa Rica..but due to weather that port was cancelled. While this hasn't happened to us often, it is something to keep in mind. We've always enjoyed the Caribbean whether on ship, or in port, and hope you have a great time whichever you choose.

LK

We loved the Eclipse two week cruise! Would also recommend it

We did the 14 day Southern on the Constellation and it was a great Itinerary. We have also sailed on the Eclipse and it is a beautiful ship and one I would recommend too. That being said If the choice is between Costa Maya, Belize and Roatan vs Jamaica et al I would definitely take the Costa Maya Itinerary.

Well, since I was last in Belize (3 years ago), things must have changed. Our first cruise stop there 6 years ago, our family went Cave-tubing... that was awesome! Included a hike, lunch. The next cruise, 2 years ago, hubby went snorkeling (loved it!) and I shopped right near the dock, then took a tour of the Beliken brewery... we had fabulous beers to try, a wonderful guide who was so entertaining, all the shrimp we could eat.

Roatan was great.. we went snorkeling, and also hired an air conditioned cab where the driver spoke English, and had a super beautiful, wonderful tour of this gorgeous island before we snorkeled.

In Costa Maya, it was fun to shop, lie on the beach, drink a Mai Tai, and we also visited the lighthouse, and took a cab to a gorgeous white sand beach. Lovely day and so fun.

Everyone will have an opinion on how to pick the right cruise but the answer to your question is there are times that you will pick for the ship, the cruise line, the islands, etc.

I have been on all those ships and on the Eastern and Western many times. I LOVED the western side, especially after doing the Eastern a few times in a row. I find the western side to be less crowded with ships and people on the islands in general.

I've read a lot of the replies to your post and do agree that if you are going to sit on a beach and do nothing else it almost doesn't matter where you go (island wise... I would still not just stay in FL). Cozumel will be very crowded, Roatan and Costa Maya, not! There are so many beautiful things to do on those islands that don't even include the beach. The Epic is stopping at Nassau, which to tell you the truth, I have no idea why! There are so many other nicer places they could stop, even their own island would be better.

I just booked the Epic again for my second time in November and almost didn't b/c of that one stop to Nassua, I didn't necessarilly like the stops BUT the ship in the end won (with the variety of entertainment they have that no other ship does) and we always have a great time no matter where we go and you will too! Don't stress, pick one side this time and go the opposite on your anniversay cruise next year! :)

When we first started cruising, we went for the itinerary. We wanted to go as many places as we could that we had not been to before. However, after 55 cruises, we have done most itineraries that are available so now we primarily look for good value. That way, we can do more cruises more often!

There are differences in each cruise line -- some have better food while others have better entertainment, etc. However, everybody who goes into a port will have the opportunity to see the same things and go on the same excursions, regardless of which ship they are on. Also, the cruise directors tell the same jokes, regardless of the cruise line, and a lot of the entertainment is the same. Actually, we have found that we prefer the smaller ships over the mega ships! 4,000 to 5,000 people on one ship is just too many.

But, you will have a wonderful cruise no matter what you choose.:)

Spirit out of Nola to Costa Maya, belize, cozumel and roatan is an awesome cruise, even though the spirit is a small ship. For me it is all about the ports and those ports have some of the best snorkeling and beach excursions available, though I would book private companies for the best experience!

Archived