Feelings on booking another Carnival cruise.

saturnsc

Are you beginning to feel hesitant to book another Carnival Cruise?  

915 members have voted

1. 1. Are you beginning to feel hesitant to book another Carnival Cruise?

• Yes
    • No

[quote name='okwriter']I'm always amazed by the number of people who will "never cruise Carnival again" and have only negative things to say about Carnival -- but also have nothing better to do than sit around and read a Carnival forum berating others. Get a life, people! :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Does this go for the Cheerleaders who berate others on here too? or is this just one sided?

[quote name='gklow']I would definitely book a Carnival cruise again (been on 8 and I like Carnival), but I would definitely do diligent research of the ships past problems...[/quote]

[quote name='wannago35']I wouldn't hesitate to book another cruise with Carnival. But would hesitate on booking the Triumph in particular.[/quote]

We have a cruise coming up in May on the Liberty, and I can't wait to go! I've been looking at the possibility of doing a back-to-back cruise on Carnival for next year. However, this incident on the Triumph will cause me to give some consideration on which ship or ships to choose. While even the newer ships are not immune to problems, the older ships, such as the Triumph, have a higher probability of something happening. But that can be said for ANY vehicle, such as an automobile, truck , bus, airplane or whatever. If the Triumph was a land-based vehicle, I wonder how many miles would be on its' odometer?

[quote name='cjknox'][FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="4"]Two Questions:

1) How do you know what their corporate attitudes are? I assume you work for them?

2) What more could they have possibly done for the passengers onboard?
They have refunded them, reimbursed them for ALL travel expenses, and given them a free cruise?[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Nah. Long time passenger. When Dickinson was in charge, they were really customer oriented and went out of their way to exceed customer expectations and make sure that passengers left their cruises happy; that's why a lot of poeple, including me, kept coming back because we knew that all the complaints about Carnival were just drivel. Since he left, that customer orientation has also left and is why there have been so many complaints here and elsewhere about Carnival going downhill. My major recent compalint has nothing to with the Triumph situation.

Lawyers somewhere are already thinking about what more they could have done; considering reported conditions on the Triumph, I stand by my statement that they couldn't have done less.

I've been trying to contact Carnival for days now about my DD's cruise next month on the Paradise. Although it's not "life threatening" I'm really annoyed at Carnival - NO ONE IS PICKING UP THE PHONE!!!!

I can understand them having a problem with one of their ships and people calling, but can't they set up a separate number SOMETHING?? I cannot beleive the amount of money Carnival is losing by not picking up their phones!!

[quote name='okwriter']I'm always amazed by the number of people who will "never cruise Carnival again" and have only negative things to say about Carnival -- but also have nothing better to do than sit around and read a Carnival forum berating others. Get a life, people! :rolleyes:[/quote]
Well said! One does wonder what the motivation is for those that so emotionally dislike CCL and yet camp out on a forum for CCL.

[I]<I'm always amazed by the number of people who will "never cruise Carnival again" and have only negative things to say about Carnival -- but also have nothing better to do than sit around and read a Carnival forum berating others. Get a life, people! :rolleyes:>[/I]

[I][B][COLOR=indigo]I kind of have to agree with this. Especially those who said that they were on a Carnival cruise whatever number of years ago and after THAT ONE they said never again. Yet, they came here to comment about a current cruise that has NOTHING to do with their own experience way back when. [/COLOR][/B][/I]

[I][B][COLOR=indigo]I don't consider myself to be a "cheerleader", since I do cruise other lines (just sailed Royal in December). But if I get to be called a "cheerleader" then I get to call those of you who already made up their minds [U]beforehand[/U] not to cruise on Carnival "haters". [/COLOR][/B][/I]

[I][COLOR=indigo][B]Because otherwise I can't fathom why you would even be on these boards in the first place commenting on discussions about a cruise line you already decided not to use. :confused:[/B][/COLOR][/I]

Do you think people will start jumping ship? Pardon the pun. And start cruising other lines? I think many people are going to be hesitant to book with Carnival. I will still book with them but I have sailed other lines as well. So if I find a great deal with Carnival I will book it. If I better deal with another line I will book them.

As of now, other ships are filling up fast due to all of the cancelled cruises. And the only compensation anyone is really getting is toward future Carnival cruises, where even though the cruise is discounted or free, people will still spend money onboard. Also, the near full ships will keep prices up, so I think Carnival will have no problem keeping their ships full.

We just got off of the Carnival Magic on Sunday (2/3/13) and would not hesitate to book another cruise with Carnival. I probably would not book a cruise on the Triumph until it goes in to dry dock and is overhauled.

Accidents can happen on any vacation whether you fly, drive or cruise. I think Carnival has handled this as well and is offering compensation over & above. As I have heard many people say, I would rather have engine problems while on a cruise rather than in the air flying!

I'm not hesitant at this point, but I wish we'd get more information on the propulsion issues and what causes these engine room fires. I also would like to hear that more frequent regular maintenance is scheduled for each ship. I think they'd come out ahead instead of just booking cruises back to back to back until something breaks on a ship.

I am curious about whether other lines are worth the increase in price but haven't chosen to try them so far.

[quote name='Havingfun2010']2013 - Triumph
2012 - Concordia
2010 - Splendor

What is in common with all 3? The last 3 ship issues was Carnival owned ships. Prior to this, the next one was 2008 with the Princess of the Seas and was weather related and not out at sea. The one before in 2007 was stuck in ice in Antartical with the MS Explorer. Prior that, there were some passenger ocean ferries etc. So the question would be why Carnival? Why not any other line? Yes, I would be very concerned with booking Carnival. The track record is going down.[/quote]

Add Costs Allegra to the above list. See

[url]http://blog.sfgate.com/travel/2013/02/11/carnival-dreamliner-ship-adrift-part-iii/[/url]

I have never cruised on Carnival and never will. Carnival obviously skimps on maintenance. If you are comfortable on Carnival, good luck!! You may need it.
Tom

We set sail on the Magic on Sunday. I don't stop driving when I read about an automobile accident, don't stop flying when there is an airplane incident, and won't stop cruising CCL due to the Triumph accident.

[quote name='frito58']Did anyone read the review where this ship basically limped back to port on the cruise before this one and [B]they must have just duct taped her together and sent her back out. [/B]That is my only concern, I agree stuff happens these ships run 24/7 but if they knew she was not sea worthy and sent her out anyway that is serious problem. I would rather have my cruise cancelled because of a potential problem then a cruise company send me out in a ship that needs repair just to make money. Would I be unhappy if my was cruise was canceled last minute heck yes , but a lot unhappier floating around without power for days .. Just sayin[/quote]

That reminds me of a flight I was on on US Airways: to me, it seemed the whole plane was duct taped together! :eek: It was quite scary and I now try to avoid that airline. :rolleyes:

I have been on only one cruise with Carnival, and even though it was on an older ship, it was a great cruise.
I would consider booking with Carnival again, but only on the newest ships though.

I predicted in an earlier thread I started entitled "Lets Play a New Game" that the CCL stock price would dip below $33 by the end of March. It was at $39.02 after yesterdays close.

From a PR standpoint, I think the worst is yet to come. Once all those Triumph passengers get back to Mobile, and then home, they will begin to tell the 1st person true story regarding their experiences. And I bet that story [raw sewage, scarce food, etc., etc.] is worse than one might think.

Also, the NSTB investigation will - sooner or later - find the cause. And I think we will find - at the end of the day - that CCL scrimped and short-cutted with maintenance and safety.

Just my opinion ..........

[quote name='Moegr']With all the complaints of cutbacks , cold food , no bands & less entertainment a lot of people were already thinking of leaving Carnival .This will just be the final straw so yes, I think their bottom line will suffer for a while.[/QUOTE]

Myself and several of my friends have decided that we are no longer going to cruise Carnival. I was leaning that direction before this incident for all the reasons you stated, but this has solidified my decision. I have an NCL cruise scheduled next week but after that I think I'm going to look at land vacations for a while.

Archived