Eclipse Debakation Port Evergaldes

GiannaD

Several months ago there were a number of posts about debarkation issues at Port Everglades. These involved disorganization, long lines for customs, long walks to the terminal exit and difficulty getting taxis.

We will be on the Eclipse in the next few weeks and would welcome comments from those who have recently sailed the Eclipse and debarked at Port Everglades. We will not be able to do self debarkation and are concerned about making our 11:45am flight from FLL.

We've been on the Equinox twice and never had a problem but the Equinox uses the same terminal as the Oasis and Allure and things go very smoothly at that terminal.

Hopefully the conditions are much improved.

Several months ago there were a number of posts about debarkation issues at Port Everglades. These involved disorganization, long lines for customs, long walks to the terminal exit and difficulty getting taxis.

We will be on the Eclipse in the next few weeks and would welcome comments from those who have recently sailed the Eclipse and debarked at Port Everglades. We will not be able to do self debarkation and are concerned about making our 11:45am flight from FLL.

We've been on the Equinox twice and never had a problem but the Equinox uses the same terminal as the Oasis and Allure and things go very smoothly at that terminal.

If you ask for earliest departure you should have no problem.. Airport is only 5 minutes from Port. The walk to customs is a little long but moves. We were on Eclipse in November. Wait was a little annoying as there were not enough agents on duty but it still got us out by 9:15. Having said that, anything can delay the arrival. Rare. Only time we were late was in San Diego due to emergency. This November we are flying out at 11pm.

We debarked on December 1. It literally took 2 hours from getting off the ship and arriving at the airport! As bad as that was, debarkation on February 9 was much worse. We were among the last to leave. Immigration was no picnic but the real disaster was trying to get a taxi or van. Two ships are feeding into one taxi line. There are no taxis. The road into the area is completely clogged by supply trucks. Never again! My recommendation is to exit as soon as you can before the supply trucks shut down the road.

I was on Eclipse on the Jan 12-26 cruise. I had an 11:30 flight. Despite having an 8:00 departure, someone dying on the gangway, a 40 minute delay because of that: I made it through Customs in under 15 minutes and got a cab in 10. Had NO trouble making my flight. Worst part (for me not the person who died) was a slightly long walk from the ship to luggage/customs and having to weave around a USED condom on the way to the taxi line. :eek:

Eclipse docks the same place Royal Caribbean's Liberty of the Seas docks, so I have had the infamous debarkation experience twice in the past two months.

I advise you to ask for tags that will allow you to leave early in the process so you don't get involved in any backups or delays. Yes, the walk is long and when you get to the terminal where the luggage is stacked and the customs officers await, the line is still very long and snakes around inside the building.

I don't know what day of the week you will be returning from your cruise, but the taxi situation is inevitably impacted by how many ships are in port that day. If it is a day when six big ships are in port including Oasis or Allure, the taxi situation might be more competitive. If you will be returning on a Mon., Tues, Wed., or Thurs., there will be far fewer ships in port and your taxi situation should be better.

I know the debarkation at that terminal is a trial, but we are going to be sailing soon on Eclipse too. I hope you have a great cruise and I hope your debarkation goes smoothly. Good luck.

We disembarked on Jan 12 and the worst part was getting a taxi. We finally decided to take a shuttle at $11.00 per person and felt it was well worth it. We used luggage valet so did not have to hunt for luggage but had to go through the line with others who had to get theirs then into the line for customs. Seems they could have eliminated this step for those who had no luggage to pick up.

Mary Lou

We were on the New Year cruise on Eclipse immediately following the reports of difficult debarkation. There is a very long walk from the ship to the building where luggage, Customs and Immigration are. Because we had been warned about this, we ordered a wheelchair for my husband. This involved delays because you have to wait for a new "pusher" once you reach the building. Despite this, we did not find the process overly long. The wait for a "pusher" [honestly, this is what they called the people who pushed the wheelchairs!] was balanced by "jumping" the Customs/Immigration queue. The really long wait was for a taxi once outside - about 45 minutes. However, Celebrity had warned everyone very clearly not to use this method of transport and you could pick up a shared van extremely easily and quickly.

While waiting for our "pusher", it was clear that the majority of issues were caused by people not listening when the extremely patient terminal staff when they explained the process. E.G. people were trying to find a porter in the wrong area rather than joining the organised queue for them. They tne got upset when a porter refused to go with them.

In short it is a very long walk when you leave the ship [see photographs - you follow the canopy] and very busy but should go smoothly if you listen to instructions and act on them. Also, unless you have reasons for taking a taxi, arrange transport from the port or be prepared to take one of the many vans that will be waiting outside the terminal.

Sue

DSC00944.jpg.2b75565c3de9d0c58ad5e9fccce441b2.jpg

DSC00945.jpg.90217bdbd07466cc90cbbab38b9ca595.jpg

Eclipse docks the same place Royal Caribbean's Liberty of the Seas docks, so I have had the infamous debarkation experience twice in the past two months.

I advise you to ask for tags that will allow you to leave early in the process so you don't get involved in any backups or delays. Yes, the walk is long and when you get to the terminal where the luggage is stacked and the customs officers await, the line is still very long and snakes around inside the building.

I don't know what day of the week you will be returning from your cruise, but the taxi situation is inevitably impacted by how many ships are in port that day. If it is a day when six big ships are in port including Oasis or Allure, the taxi situation might be more competitive. If you will be returning on a Mon., Tues, Wed., or Thurs., there will be far fewer ships in port and your taxi situation should be better.

I know the debarkation at that terminal is a trial, but we are going to be sailing soon on Eclipse too. I hope you have a great cruise and I hope your debarkation goes smoothly. Good luck.

Hi GangwayStyle,

I see you are sailing with us on Eclipse on 23 March sailing, have you joined our roll call yet? Look forward to seeing you.

Texmex.ferr

We just left Eclipse, We asked for an 8am disembarkation.... we left our bags outside our room at 11 the night before.

We were sitting in the airport PAST all the security and with enough time to go get something to eat and use the bathroom...

We flew at 10:35... I wouldn't recommend that time, but we didn't have a choice.

We did have to go and find a bag when we were getting ready to leave the pier. It took an additional 20 minutes of looking to find it.

They were great about getting us off, but having been the first off and the last off at different cruises, I will say I would rather relax and go off last!

Chass

I was on Eclipse on the Jan 12-26 cruise. I had an 11:30 flight. Despite having an 8:00 departure, someone dying on the gangway, a 40 minute delay because of that: I made it through Customs in under 15 minutes and got a cab in 10. Had NO trouble making my flight. Worst part (for me not the person who died) was a slightly long walk from the ship to luggage/customs and having to weave around a USED condom on the way to the taxi line. :eek:

Lord....how long do you suppose they had to wait in line to have time for that!:eek:

Monika

Thank you for your replies and photos. I had hoped that the debarkation from the Eclipse at Port Everglades had improved but it looks like the terminal limitations and the access roads are the main issue and that won't change anytime soon.

I will follow your advice and ask for an early departure and be prepared for possible delays.

GiannaD

We disembarked the Eclipse on Feb.9th and sadly must say that it still is not favourable. It is just as bad as last year, the year before, the year before....... One thing we thought we would try this year was the Luggage Valet and we are now saying it was the best $20. we ever spent. With Luggage Valet there is no alloted disembarkment for us since we have no luggage to pick up in the terminal. So around 9:30a.m. we decided to leave the ship and make the long walk to the terminal and straight to immigration. The walk was long, and I am sure they could cut us some short-cuts if they wanted to. Anyway going through customs was a breeze as there were not many people in line yet and then were surprised to see there were no taxis at that time picking up people. Then

a handful of taxis arrived - I think they are stopped along the route because of all the service trucks. We made it to the airport very quickly. By using Luggage Valet I would think it took us around 1 hour to get us off the ship and into the airport.

We are now sold on the Luggage Valet and think it is well worth the $20. each.

Ruthk,

St. Catharines, Ontario,

Canada.

We were on the Equinox in December and we were called to disembark at 8:00AM. Off the ship in a few minutes and found our luggage quickly and made an 11:20AM flight with at least an hour to spare. Suggest you use a porter at the terminal which will speed you thru imigration and customs. He should also find you a cab. Without a porter you could be adding half an hour or more. Eclipse should use the same terminal as Equinox. You can check how many ships are coming in that morning on line. You should be fine. Enjoy your cruise.

Richard

We were on the Equinox in December and we were called to disembark at 8:00AM. Off the ship in a few minutes and found our luggage quickly and made an 11:20AM flight with at least an hour to spare. Suggest you use a porter at the terminal which will speed you thru imigration and customs. He should also find you a cab. Without a porter you could be adding half an hour or more. Eclipse should use the same terminal as Equinox. You can check how many ships are coming in that morning on line. You should be fine. Enjoy your cruise.

Richard

Hi Richard,

Equinox has her turnaround on Mondays and Fridays, and uses Pier 18, which is stae of the art, and home of Oasis & Allure of the Seas. For the most part, Guest expriences from Pier 18 are excellent. As Eclipse's turnarond Day is on Saturday, she usually berths at Pier 25.

As you were probably at Pier 18, that's probably why you had an excellent experience. For Eclipse guests, unfortunately, it seems the problems continue. I hope this helps.

Question - DH has walking issues and a walker. How did you make the arrangements for the wheelchair? That seems like a very long walk for him and I don't want the cruise to end in a horrible way. We have a private van picking up 6 of us so do you suggest getting off the ship prior to 9:15? Maybe 8:30?

Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

PatC

Question - DH has walking issues and a walker. How did you make the arrangements for the wheelchair? That seems like a very long walk for him and I don't want the cruise to end in a horrible way. We have a private van picking up 6 of us so do you suggest getting off the ship prior to 9:15? Maybe 8:30?

Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

PatC

PatC

Because we are in the UK, I contacted Captain's Club here because I was not sure who I should contact. However, I believe that there is a US 'phone number for the Special Services department. They marked our reservation with the fact that my husband would need a wheelchair for disembarkation but advised that we also spoke to Guest Relations on board. We did this are the beginning of the cruise and, again to be certain, once the disembarkation letters were issued. We were given instructions to wait in a different area to that used by everyone else and the wheelchair collected us from there. It was all very straightforward.

Sue

We disembarked the Eclipse on Feb.9th and sadly must say that it still is not favourable. It is just as bad as last year, the year before, the year before....... One thing we thought we would try this year was the Luggage Valet and we are now saying it was the best $20. we ever spent. With Luggage Valet there is no alloted disembarkment for us since we have no luggage to pick up in the terminal. So around 9:30a.m. we decided to leave the ship and make the long walk to the terminal and straight to immigration. The walk was long, and I am sure they could cut us some short-cuts if they wanted to. Anyway going through customs was a breeze as there were not many people in line yet and then were surprised to see there were no taxis at that time picking up people. Then

a handful of taxis arrived - I think they are stopped along the route because of all the service trucks. We made it to the airport very quickly. By using Luggage Valet I would think it took us around 1 hour to get us off the ship and into the airport.

Ruthk,

St. Catharines, Ontario,

Canada.

I agree, if luggage valet is available, it is the BEST insurance for an easy debarkation!

Ruthk,

St. Catharines, Ontario,

Canada.

Was this available for flights to Canada? I was under the impression that it was for domestic flights only.

Kelly

I agree, if luggage valet is available, it is the BEST insurance for an easy debarkation!

Unfortunately luggage valet does not help with long immigration lines and lack of taxis and vans. You really had to experience our December 1 and February 9 disembarkation to believe it. :mad: Fortunately our March cruise is the Silhouette!

Unfortunately luggage valet does not help with long immigration lines and lack of taxis and vans. You really had to experience our December 1 and February 9 disembarkation to believe it. :mad: Fortunately our March cruise is the Silhouette!

That sounds horrible! Still, I am hoping for luggage valet availability on our next cruise! :)

But the luggage Valet does work because you can disembark when you are ready as you don't have an appointed time issued to you. So you disembark before they start calling out the luggage tag colours and beat the masses ready to get off the ship. When we arrived into the terminal heading for immigration the first group of people were fumbling around looking for their luggage and we just by-passed all of them and we were on our way. Best $20. I spent.

As for the Luggage Valet working for Canada - sorry I can't help you on that. Living in a border town we flew out of Buffalo, NY.

Ruthk,

St. Catharines, Ontario,

Canada.

Archived