Free Limited Mobility Excursions

OrpingtonT

Meanwhile an excursion at each port suitable for those with limited mobility would be received gratefully, at least as long as plenty of "free" excursions are offered to those guests with full mobility.

I agree with you wholeheartedly on this! I think in the past few years many of the excursions have become even more difficult. I also believe that Destination Services should be well aware of this. I have overheard many people complaining that the tours are not suitable for people with any degree of limited mobility. Evidently these complaints are not reaching the appropriate person. If there's anything I can do to help you on this let me know!

Kathy

baychilla brought up ADA and it did spark an interesting discussion. I also appreciate the link -- I was not aware of this -- probably since I have not been working since moving up here in 2002.

Does anyone have a sense of the percentage of ports that do not have handicapped accessible excursions? Most of the ones I have seen do have them (again, the ones with the "Panorama......." titles). OrpingtonT, you would have a better understanding of this than most as you cruise quite a bit. Thanks!

Does anyone have a sense of the percentage of ports that do not have handicapped accessible excursions? Most of the ones I have seen do have them (again, the ones with the "Panorama......." titles). OrpingtonT, you would have a better understanding of this than most as you cruise quite a bit. Thanks!

I would guess about 2 out of 10 ports have tours which are suitable for guests in a wheelchair or have limited mobility. Our next cruise, which you are also on, has 6 ports of call. Only one trip at one port is stated as suitable for wheelchair guests and even that has over an hour's walking plus "free time". Other, more port intensive itineraries have none.

But, with respect, what we are asking for is that every port should have at least one tour which disabled passengers can go on and Regent's Destination Service Dept know better than me what their offerings are.

I would guess about 2 out of 10 ports have tours which are suitable for guests in a wheelchair or have limited mobility. Our next cruise, which you are also on, has 6 ports of call. Only one trip at one port is stated as suitable for wheelchair guests and even that has over an hour's walking plus "free time". Other, more port intensive itineraries have none.

But, with respect, what we are asking for is that every port should have at least one tour which disabled passengers can go on and Regent's Destination Service Dept know better than me what their offerings are.

We are also on that cruise and I just went though every doggone port, looking for suitable ones. Even the "panoramic" tours include 1 hour of walking. I am thinking that maybe I will bring his travelscoot along.

I really learned a lot by going through the shore excursions for our cruise next month (Miami to Barcelona):

Although there is only one excursion that shows a "wheelchair" sign next to it, there are several that are state that they accept wheelchairs with the following notation:

Please note: The tour is available to wheelchair guests who have a collapsible wheelchair, are able to make their own way on and off the coach and have an able-bodied companion to assist them. Those with mobility concerns are cautioned to carefully evaluate their personal level of stamina and ability.

Some excursions that are approved for wheelchairs would not work so well for those not in wheelchairs but cannot walk a long distance. If an excursion includes an hour of walking on a fairly even surface, those in wheelchairs may enjoy this (assuming they are with someone like OrpingtonT to help them) while people with knee difficulties, for instance, would have a difficult time walking one mile.

The reason I am trying to get specificity on this subject is because I know that this is being read by Regent and they appreciate reading specifics rather than generalities. I understand that you would like to see one included excursion in each port that is suitable for people with disabilities. Am I correct that this would require very minimal walking -- even if you are in a wheelchair and have someone with you? Last, is there an expectation that someone onboard would help get the passengers on and off of the bus? If so, would you be willing to sign a waiver of liability?

I really learned a lot by going through the shore excursions for our cruise next month (Miami to Barcelona):

Although there is only one excursion that shows a "wheelchair" sign next to it, there are several that are state that they accept wheelchairs with the following notation:

Please note: The tour is available to wheelchair guests who have a collapsible wheelchair, are able to make their own way on and off the coach and have an able-bodied companion to assist them. Those with mobility concerns are cautioned to carefully evaluate their personal level of stamina and ability.

Some excursions that are approved for wheelchairs would not work so well for those not in wheelchairs but cannot walk a long distance. If an excursion includes an hour of walking on a fairly even surface, those in wheelchairs may enjoy this (assuming they are with someone like OrpingtonT to help them) while people with knee difficulties, for instance, would have a difficult time walking one mile.

The reason I am trying to get specificity on this subject is because I know that this is being read by Regent and they appreciate reading specifics rather than generalities. I understand that you would like to see one included excursion in each port that is suitable for people with disabilities. Am I correct that this would require very minimal walking -- even if you are in a wheelchair and have someone with you? Last, is there an expectation that someone onboard would help get the passengers on and off of the bus? If so, would you be willing to sign a waiver of liability?

I already did wave liability when I purchased the tickets. There is a specific paragraph that says they are only liable when on their property. The bus is not their property. As many have stated step for the bus would be very much appreciated. Personally I would like tours that resemble a stroll rather than a forced march. They would probably take the same amount of time, see a lot fewer things but at least I would feel like I'm getting a tour I've paid for.

In the past, I remember more help from the crew on tours. It's becoming more rare to see a ship's crew member a tour unless it's a bike or kayak tour. I don't know why that is but I notice it more often than not. I travel with my mom, who walks five+ miles everyday and most assuredly does not need help but plenty of people her age do!

I'm a tall, strong person so I try to always offer a hand when it's needed. I don't mind pushing a chair and I carry a small first aid kit which I've used several times for other passengers who made a misstep on a bumpy street. I think that those of us who can, should lend a hand for those who need it but also think the cruise lines should take a look at how many push chairs or canes are going to be on a tour and send a crew member along to help.

One thing that might help people who have trouble with the wide front steps; don't sit it those front rows, go to the middle where the 2nd door is located to find a seat. It's more narrow so you'll have both sides to hold onto and it often sits lower that those front steps.

Although I looked carefully when you first asked, I wonder why I bothered when you feel it necessary to check. We are talking here about the included excursions. Of course there are several with a wheelchair sign amongst the extra payment ones. As far as I can see there is only one in the whole fortnight suitable for those with limited mobility and that carries a caveat about long times of walking. Of course , as symbarb 1 says, we accept liablity. See the T & C's.

I don't really expect you to have the first idea of what it is like to either have a disability or be a carer for someone who does have, but to airily suggest that it can be enjoyable to either push or be pushed around for an hour or more beggars belief. Your interrogation makes me wonder whether Regent will ever respond positvely or otherwise.

In the past, I remember more help from the crew on tours. It's becoming more rare to see a ship's crew member a tour unless it's a bike or kayak tour. I don't know why that is but I notice it more often than not. I travel with my mom, who walks five+ miles everyday and most assuredly does not need help but plenty of people her age do!

One thing that might help people who have trouble with the wide front steps; don't sit it those front rows, go to the middle where the 2nd door is located to find a seat. It's more narrow so you'll have both sides to hold onto and it often sits lower that those front steps.

Thank you Suzie for your contribution. Yes only occasionally do crew members join the trips . Usually a dancer, singer and they are always most helpful. For example, one has held an umbrella over us if the rain was hard. It isn't easy pushing a wheelchair and holing an umbrella, especially at my advanced age!

You are right also about the tip of the middle doors where the coaches have them. Unfortunately the steps are often higher there. not lower.

I don't really expect you to have the first idea of what it is like to either have a disability or be a carer for someone who does have, but to airily suggest that it can be enjoyable to either push or be pushed around for an hour or more beggars belief. Your interrogation makes me wonder whether Regent will ever respond positvely or otherwise.

Whew, I'm not the only one who thought that way. Makes me feel so much better!

THe last points are excellent! If you don't walk in our shoes of disability please don't tell us how we feel or how we can behave! It is like saying all blonde women are alike!

Folks with disabilities are individuals and have needs! Regent doesn''t need to know my specifics, rather they need to know that some of us are asking for a wee bit more assistance on buses and would like more excursions that don't require too much walking.

In terms of stools, it is very easy to put that requirement in a contract and most excursion firms would be happy to accomodate the request.

Also, when I am alighting from a vehicle, please don't offer your hand as being helpful. It's more likely that we will both fall down. In my case, I prefer a shoulder because i won't hurt anyone by pushing down.

Whew, I said more than I thought I would. Finally, I must say, there are many of us who are 'experts' in HR and do have disabilities.

Although I looked carefully when you first asked, I wonder why I bothered when you feel it necessary to check. We are talking here about the included excursions. Of course there are several with a wheelchair sign amongst the extra payment ones. As far as I can see there is only one in the whole fortnight suitable for those with limited mobility and that carries a caveat about long times of walking. Of course , as symbarb 1 says, we accept liablity. See the T & C's. (end quote)

Regarding point #1 above, I checked the excursions specifically to learn what I did. They mark one excursion with a wheelchair yet indicate that several others are wheelchair friendly.

I have a very thick skin but your comment about "not knowing what it is like to either have a disability or be a carer for someone who does have" hurt beyond belief. I do not like to get personal on these boards, however, my mother was disabled for 10 years before her death when I was 16 years of age. This was not the only caregiving I was involved in but I am hoping that I do not need to reveal any other personal history in order to make my point!

I am posting to remind readers that there are human being behind posts on CruiseCritic. We do not know the backgrounds or health history of posters (nor should we). Insults such as the one above have no place on CruiseCritic! I wish I could said that a lesson has been learned here but I doubt it!

I am posting to remind readers that there are human being behind posts on CruiseCritic. We do not know the backgrounds or health history of posters (nor should we). Insults such as the one above have no place on CruiseCritic! I wish I could said that a lesson has been learned here but I doubt it!

TravelCat

People sometimes have no idea how they come across via the written word, your posting did come off as rather snarky, and I was somewhat offended by it as others were. You say that we must remember that there are human beings on this board. Indeed there are! Some you have managed to offend.

Disabilities are always a hot button subject because it touches on many many issues. The disabled and the carer deal on a daily basis with things that able bodied people don't think a second about. We interact with incredible people, stupid people, insensitive people just like everyone else but the worst is to be belittled by word or action, and that is exactly how I felt when I read your words.

Josephone, I strongly agree with your post. In speaking for myself and understanding exactly what I need, I feel justified in asking for it. (step stool). This is my particular issue and I think others can express what they need better than I could. I can speak generally in saying I support that there should be more excursions for those who have mobility concerns.

I just got home from the zoo with the grandchildren and took a little bus part way. The driver whipped out a step stool for all to use. No fuss about it at all and no big deal. This seems very simple to implement.

We are constantly reminded how carefully management monitors these boards. Here we have a very revelant and important topic that is being carefully discussed and there is ZERO input from the other side. It is certainly important from the passengers' viewpoint but also considering that people are paying a price for a product that they are unable to use. It does seem unfair. Step up to the plate. Maybe there should be an opt out clause if Regent refuses to deliver a quality product for all who pay for them.

We are constantly reminded how carefully management monitors these boards. Here we have a very revelant and important topic that is being carefully discussed and there is ZERO input from the other side. It is certainly important from the passengers' viewpoint but also considering that people are paying a price for a product that they are unable to use. It does seem unfair. Step up to the plate. Maybe there should be an opt out clause if Regent refuses to deliver a quality product for all who pay for them.

Who is the "other side"? Very confused:confused: Do you mean Regent headquarters? IMO, it is in their best interest to keep as silent as they have been. All of this is certainly food for thought.

In terms of an "opt out" clause, I have been a very strong advocate of having an opt out option for those of us unable or unwilling to take Regent excursions. If Regent is unable to provide excursions that will accommodate all passengers, there should certainly be an opt out clause. Rather than deal with the anger in this thread, if I were Regent, I would certainly allow a credit to opt out of excursions rather than trying to accommodate every possible disability.

This is a learning curve for everyone -- even people like myself who have dealt with the disabled. Who would ever know or think that a person should offer a shoulder rather than a hand to help a disabled people get off of the bus/car? God forbid someone try to help a person off of the bus and they were dropped or injured in some way???

Earlier in this thread (before I was personally bashed) I was 100% for the idea of having a handicapped accessible excursion in each port. After reading some of the above posts I have changed my mind. Even if it were only for the disabled, I would offer the opt out option. Regent headquarters....... truly hope you are reading this thread.

I... Personally I would like tours that resemble a stroll rather than a forced march...

I agree. Let's face it, there are all kinds of disabilities. From the point of view of excursions, perhaps the wheelchair-bound are the biggest challenge. But at the other end of the spectrum are those of us who just want to be able to take our time walking up stairs, and perhaps want to limit the amount of walking. We are sometimes in that category, at this stage in our lives.

So offering a range of excursions that are simple sightseeing tours with options to get off the bus and walk around a bit is not rocket science. There used to be excursions like this, now there don't seem to many (and this goes for Oceania as well.) And offered a damned step stool for god's sake.

I won't comment on excursions for the wheelchair-bound, since I don't have experience in this area, but I agree that allowing opting out would perhaps ameliorate the inequity of this situation. I doubt Regent would do that, since it might dilute the "inclusive" brand, and then of course, more than just the disabled would start opting out. But good idea.

That is an idea that I hadn't considered. Judging by the number of people who stay onboard in ports, non participation in tours generates a few dollars for Regent. They are a business and they appear to be happy with their current model. So, back to basics; a step stool available for those who need it, slower paced tours, and wheel chair assistance on/off the ship when needed. Those are the three concrete things that I think Regent can do.

I opened this thread following a suggestion from , oddly enough, Travelcat, in order to propose to Regent, through this board, a modest improvement to the included excursions which are offered. It seemed to me that a tour, included in the price of the cruise, at each port could be laid on for guests with mobility problems, which is rarely the case at the moment. I tried to articulate this in the opening post.

In the subsequent discussion there were several helpful comments including one about the provision of a step stool with the transport coach to make it easier to mount and dismount.

This thrust of the thread, however, has got sidetracked with other matters such as general ADA requirements, number of excursions at present available and whether they are suitable. We have not heard from anyone at Regent whether they think it is worth consideration. In fact, I wonder whether this avenue is the most sensible to go down.

I think perhaps, to try to progress this, I ought to write directly to Mr Kamlani, who has taken over from Mark Conroy and see if I get a response. Any relevant thoughts would be welcomed.

Tom-

I think the course of action you propose is best. Time after time I speak to folks left on the ship because they cannot participate in the "included" excursions. A request that efforts be made to provide at least one at each port of call ought to be something that the Destinations Desk should seek to organize.

Thank you for taking the lead on this

We have not heard from anyone at Regent whether they think it is worth consideration. In fact, I wonder whether this avenue is the most sensible to go down.

I think perhaps, to try to progress this, I ought to write directly to Mr Kamlani, who has taken over from Mark Conroy and see if I get a response. Any relevant thoughts would be welcomed.

If I can be of any assistance please let me know.

Hi Tom,

Understand fully your disappointment with the current lack of an answer from Regent/PCH on your limited mobility recommendations.

However, (hopefully) they both may be having their team doing the necessary limited mobility excursion research to give them appropriate recommendations. Really believe they will respond in due time to this very important Regent guest issue.

Suggest in your email to Mr. Kumlani you also put Mark Conroy in the cc line. In the last decade have known Mark to be compassionate, caring (esp of Veterans) and timely with his responses. Tho he is not involved directly with day to day operations, he is in an advisory capacity.

Good luck, and pls keep us posted. Tom

As much as most of us recognize the need for these programs, it's possible, in the world of mercantile and commerce, that Regent will simply look at what their competition is doing before reaching out on their own.

I would hope their vision is beyond this.

Time will tell..

As I indicated in post 43 above, I did write to Kunal Kamlani, copied to Frank Del Rio, and included the helpful comments made on this thread.

I am pleased that he has replied saying :-

“I appreciate you raising the issue regarding the shore excursions available for limited mobility guests. Although I cannot promise you that our ground operators can provide suitable excursions in every port we call on around the world, we will look at where there may be opportunities to enhance the experience ashore for our disabled guests. As you alluded to below, this is not an issue that can be solved overnight but we are committed to reviewing how best to satisfy our guests’ expectations. Thank you in advance for your patience and I wish you another spectacular Regent journey on your Transatlantic voyage”.

In my acknowledgement I reminded him also of the importance of the provision of a step stool. I am happy to leave this now to the good offices of Regent and PCH and hope that eventually more excursions will be offered to those of limited mobility as part of the included excursion programme.

Thank you all.

Archived