Gratuities to be added to sea pass account daily.

Thing is..... it's currently implemented for UK booked cruisers regardless of where they cruise..... and when they booked..... so currently we're the only ones with this charge applied..... and will be a change to the agreed T&Cs.... I guess there's a clause in the small print that will allow for them to do that......

I can't see how they can do it for some (UK cruisers) and not for others. If they do it for everyone, then ok, but if the UK is being discriminated against in this, then I am sure they will have a problem on their hands!

No they won't! There will just be a long line of people of at guest services making up reasons to have their tips removed. We have always tipped the recommended amount, often more, for the service we have received. The fact is until they build the tips/gratuities/service charge (whatever they are calling it this week) into the cruise price, there will always be those that continue to avoid paying!

I think calling it a service charge will make it harder for those that beg their tips back at guest services because as an example, they felt an assistant waiter didn't fill their water glass often enough.

Pity those guest services folks. ;)

It is what it is.

RCL has the ability to make whatever rules for their business they want.

We as customers have the ability to give our custom to whichever business we choose.

If we don't like RCL's policies (or any one else's for that matter) why not simply take your business elsewhere?

There are lots of options available, why do business with someone if you don't like their policies?

If this policy comes to the US then I will definitely be taking my business elsewhere.

If it is FORCED upon you to provide a "tip", then it is not a TIP at all.

I will certainly be voicing my displeasure to RCI if this includes the US and, probably, cancelling the cruise that we have reserved for November.

We do not do Automatic Tipping and we do not agree with this, we have never underpaid any Crew Member, in fact we normally pay more, but this to us is a step in the wrong direction and is more like making us make up the wages of Crew members, instead of Cruise Companies Paying a Decent Wage.

I think you have it exactly backwards. Manditory tips (and I hope they really make this manditory) is essentially the same thing as raising the cruise price, eliminating tips and paying the staff a decent wage.

I think it's a great idea. Please correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure someone will) but don't the other lines have it as a service charge? I just wish they'd do it and get it over with. FYI, I pre pay because I use MTD and LOVE it.

I have just had an email from RCI stating that from1st March, gratuities will increase to $13 per day (up from $12.65). They also say they will now be automatically added to sea pass accounts on a daily basis.

Voyager in November was our first pre paid gratuity cruise.Two nights before the end of the cruise we receivrd the usual envelopes for gratuities.Our waiter and cabin steward remarked that they had no notification that the gratuities had been prepaid which was proved as untrue by Customer relations desk on enquiring.They actually showed us the screen which proved we had prepaid.This would lend light to the fact of a fellow cruisee that the prepaid tips were distributed to other crew members we had probably not even had contact with on our 14 night cruise

The Cuise companies along with most US bars and restaurants should dig deep into their pockets and give the workers a living wage.

Suppose the Mob were the original perpetrators

so is it a tip or a service charge ?

They can continue to refer to it as a "gratuity"..however it is now a mandatory "service charge"... call it what it is..I personally don't care..

Let's just hope we don't start seeing the same customer service attitude I saw on my recent, first and "last" cruise with PCL...Did this make a difference..maybe not, but it seemed it did to us after the great attention to detail service we have always received and expect on all our many years cruising with RCI.

Doing away with perks and options and doing what other cruiselines do, doesn't seem the way RCI should be heading...JMHO and probably not yours ;)

And just an additional thought..their reason behind this is to "save paper"...save paper by discontinuing the many flyers for service and additional services that are left each day in your cabin...Aren't they saving enough by not offering luggage tags anymore...When will this end...I'm expecting to be required to bring my own TP soon :)

Thing is..... it's currently implemented for UK booked cruisers regardless of where they cruise..... and when they booked..... so currently we're the only ones with this charge applied..... and will be a change to the agreed T&Cs.... I guess there's a clause in the small print that will allow for them to do that......

Linda, are you referring to the new terms because at present gratuities are not mandatory on your initial booking. You can have the gratuities removed from the booking and pay onboard either in cash or on your seapass card (especially if you use your OBC towards the amount). Currently, are you saying your TA does not allow you to do this?

As for the future changes, we won't be bothered either way so long as it applies to everyone.

I am really pleased about this.

We always pre pay our tips and I do know that some of us this side of the pond aren't quite so accustomed to the tipping ethic so I am really pleased that tipping is 'compulsory' as such because I think the crew really deserve it.

Just recently I met someone who was cruising with royal in the summer and she announced that they only eat in the windjammer a. because its better for the kids and b. so they didn't have to worry about tipping the waiters! I was astounded. I said so do you tip the windjammer staff then if you eat there every night and she mumbled something about her husband giving them something she Thinks?? Didn't quite believe her!!

Anyway, it has the thumbs up from me :)

Why are they just dealing with UK customers (European, too, apparently) first on this issue?

Just look at the responses on this thread.

ALL of the responses that are VEHEMENTLY AGAINST the change are from the UK (with two notable - and not surprising - exceptions).

The Americans on this thread are saying things liked "YIPPEE!"

That is the reason.

:cool:

I think calling it a service charge will make it harder for those that beg their tips back at guest services because as an example, they felt an assistant waiter didn't fill their water glass often enough.

Pity those guest services folks. ;)

Isn't this the point..you shouldn't have to "BEG" to get back a "tip" based on the level of service you have received :confused:

If this policy comes to the US then I will definitely be taking my business elsewhere.

If it is FORCED upon you to provide a "tip", then it is not a TIP at all.

I will certainly be voicing my displeasure to RCI if this includes the US and, probably, cancelling the cruise that we have reserved for November.

shaggyofwv, on all of your previous cruises did you pay the suggested tip amounts ??? if so than this new policy will have no effect on you other than you must prepay them. it is like pay me now or pay me later.. if you paid less than the suggested amounts, well they finally caught up with you. only you know the answer to this question. happy cruising.:D

personally i think this is the best thing to come to RCL in the last 10 years.

finally all the passenger will give the proper tips to all those that work so hard for us to make our cruise great.

I am really pleased about this.

We always pre pay our tips and I do know that some of us this side of the pond aren't quite so accustomed to the tipping ethic so I am really pleased that tipping is 'compulsory' as such because I think the crew really deserve it.

Just recently I met someone who was cruising with royal in the summer and she announced that they only eat in the windjammer a. because its better for the kids and b. so they didn't have to worry about tipping the waiters! I was astounded. I said so do you tip the windjammer staff then if you eat there every night and she mumbled something about her husband giving them something she Thinks?? Didn't quite believe her!!

Anyway, it has the thumbs up from me :)

Hi trolleydolly, We met in the Concierge Lounge on the Indy in April last year. Hope you are all well !

Hi trolleydolly, We met in the Concierge Lounge on the Indy in April last year. Hope you are all well !

Oh hi Indy girl!!

Yes all well. Fed up with being so cold here. See your off on the Indy again in July! We're going in June. Can't come quick enough!!

Kind regards. Claire :)

Tom quoted that his email stated ship wide? How could it be for UK cruisers only when some of us never cruise out of the UK? Are you suggesting we will have a compulsory gratuity automatically added to our seapass card on our American sailings, and you will not as you are a US resident? Surely, even RCI wouldn't allow that discrimination to happen.

Btw, we do tip in cash at the end of our vacation and that includes the recommended amount for our children too ;).

There are already a lot of differences in terms and conditions between booking in the US and the UK. Some to your benefit some to ours. They can certainly add one more if they choose.

Isn't this the point..you shouldn't have to "BEG" to get back a "tip" based on the level of service you have received :confused:

I guess I should try to be more clear. In the email that the UK folks have gotten, RCI refers to it as a surcharge. Previously, some folks went to the desk to beg back tips...when they were called tips. An example would be for folks that found out that they pre-paid tips unknowingly when they booked MTD.

This now appears to be a surcharge and in my opinion, the new wording implies that it is simply an additional charge and not refundable based on a service level.

Just saying that the word implies to me that it can't be begged back as easily.

Oh and I do believe this should be implemented for all and not just for those from the UK. I'm betting our email will be coming soon. Probably not a bright idea on RCI's part to not do this all at once.

I guess I should try to be more clear. In the email that the UK folks have gotten, RCI refers to it as a surcharge. Previously, some folks went to the desk to beg back tips...when they were called tips. An example would be for folks that found out that they pre-paid tips unknowingly when they booked MTD.

This now appears to be a surcharge and in my opinion, the new wording implies that it is simply an additional charge and not refundable based on a service level.

Just saying that the word implies to me that it can't be begged back as easily.

It does actually say in the email that you can ask for the charge to be removed "in the unlikely event you receive less than excellent service". As I have said before, this will NOT stop the "stiffers"...it will simply mean they have to queue at Guest Services in order to do their "stiffing".

Why are they just dealing with UK customers (European, too, apparently) first on this issue?

ALL of the responses that are VEHEMENTLY AGAINST the change are from the UK (with two notable - and not surprising - exceptions).

That is the reason.

Merion mum

A point of note , in Europe we don't benefit from price drops or all the extras American TA's lavish on bookings made in America .

I've cruised on RCI since 2006 and have always tipped where good service has been received.

My main objection is paying for a service I don't receive or need !

If I don't see the head waiter why should I tip him ? I'd rather give my hard earned cash to my waiter or asst waiter or room attendant.

As for the Americans saying yippee, I've come across a number of tight Americans who don't show on the last night to pay up after giving lounge, dining and wait staff a hell of a time .

The price we pay should include service charge/ gratuity when we sign the contract . If someone goes above what you expect . Splash the extra cash in their palm .

Best regards a tipping European National , UK citizen and Proud Scotsman

Regards Bryce

It does actually say in the email that you can ask for the charge to be removed "in the unlikely event you receive less than excellent service". As I have said before, this will NOT stop the "stiffers"...it will simply mean they have to queue at Guest Services in order to do their "stiffing".

Oh, my face is red. :o Did not read the part that you can remove this charge if your service is less than excellent. You are right, there will always be stiffers who will try to work their way out of the surcharge regardless of what they call it.

Here is a comparision for the cruise lines found online.

Cruise line Suggested tip for adults (per night)

Carnival Cruise Lines : £7.30

Celebrity Cruises : £7.30 (£7.60 for AquaClass and Concierge Class cabins; £9.50 for suites)

Costa Cruises : £6 in Europe; £7 for Caribbean cruises

Cunard Britannia category cabins : £7; Grills category suites £8.25 (increasing to £7.30 and £8.60 from April 2013)

Cruise & Maritime Voyages : £5; £4 (over 16 nights)

Disney Cruise Line : £23 (3 nights); £30.50 (4 nights); £53.40 (7 nights)

Fred Olsen : £4

Holland America : £7.30; £7.60 for suites

MSC Cruises : £6 (8 nights in Europe); £5.15 (over 9 nights in Europe)

Noble Caledonia Included on Island Sky and Caledonia Sky. Varies depending on cruise line for other cruises booked through Noble Caledonia

Norwegian Cruise Line : £7.60

Oceania Cruises : £9.20; £13 suites with butler

P&O Cruises : £3.10 (increasing to £3.50 From March 28 to April 24)

Princess Cruises : £7.30; £7.60 for mini suites and suites

Royal Caribbean : £7.40; £8.80 (Grand Suite or above)

That is the reason.

Do we really have to trot this old chestnut out again.

Archived