Carnival is TOAST!!!!

only1deejay

It's already starting to happen...Carnival is toast after this latest fire and people are not happy...now that we have facebook, twitter and we can get news, info in seconds....people are talking and it's not good about any of the carnival owned ships......trust me...it will take months, maybe years for carnival to gain people's trust again....the competition is laughing at them right now....and the lawyers are at the pier waiting to sign the forms!!! good luck and good nite carnival!!!:):eek:

Don't think this will happen. CCL has enough of a contingent of lawyers, pr people and dedicated customer base to weather this storm. And if they do go out of business (not happening) then all the other cc people who come over to this board to diss CCL will be held captive by their favorite lines and have to pay more for their cruises. :p:D

It's already starting to happen...Carnival is toast after this latest fire and people are not happy...now that we have facebook, twitter and we can get news, info in seconds....people are talking and it's not good about any of the carnival owned ships......trust me...it will take months, maybe years for carnival to gain people's trust again....the competition is laughing at them right now....and the lawyers are at the pier waiting to sign the forms!!! good luck and good nite carnival!!!:):eek:

I'm new to the cruising scene myself. I've only been on one cruise so far(Royal Caribbean). We had a great time.

After seeing the recent Carnival debacle, I can say with 100% certainty that I will never travel with Carnival, ever.

It is clear to me that they have no plan whatsoever in the event of a catastrophic failure at sea.

Carnival isn't toast. You have a sensationalist media circus about this, but the majority of people who cruise know that things can happen at sea and take things with a grain of salt.

Also, from someone who watches a lot of news, I know that the collective memory of people in the US is really no more than six months at the most. Therefore, six months from now, people who don't really cruise/have never cruised will have forgotten what happened, what ship, what cruise line was involved. Keep in mind, I'm not talking people who like to cruise here--they'll remember, and even people who enjoy travel in general may remember. I'm talking new cruisers or people who haven't cruised in years.

I think people who stop cruising because of this would likely be those who have only taken one cruise. People who say that they'll leave Carnival over this are likely those who 1) only have a few cruises under their belts, or 2) were already considering going to other lines and now feel that they have a justifiable excuse to do so.

So, in the short term, I think prices may come down a little bit so it may be a good time to book on Carnival. Long term, though, Carnival is in a good position.

I'm new to the cruising scene myself. I've only been on one cruise so far(Royal Caribbean). We had a great time.

After seeing the recent Carnival debacle, I can say with 100% certainty that I will never travel with Carnival, ever.

It is clear to me that they have no plan whatsoever in the event of a catastrophic failure at sea.

Since everyone is home safe I disagree with the no plan in an emergency.

I assure you that carnival is not toast. It's funny, almost everyone I saw on the news tried to make the best of it, most people got along and most praised the crew. It's unfortunate that this happened but rest assured it could happen to any other cruise line.. Also understand that carnival owns many other cruise lines. Princess, Cunard, Seaborn just to name a few.

It doesn't help that the media is completely negative. These people had a horrible experience, but they are alive and most are healthy. They will have their bad press.. Then they will continue to discount for a while and especially us Americans, will jump all over those deals and help them recover.

Carnival isn't toast. An engine room fire could do this to any ship built before 2010.

They do have a black eye though. Hopefully they figure out how to do a better job of communicating and a better job in the PR department. I wouldn't be shocked to see some heads roll.

Carnival and Carnival Corp. are not nor will not be toast. Just think if the comapny made it thru what happened with the crash on the Concordia. Then this is FAR from toast. People died in that one. So Carnival made it thru that so they will have not big issue here either. i am looking forward to my next 2 cruises on Carnival.!

I don't think it was very pleasant on board the last few days, but they made it back to dry land unharmed. I don't know what any other line would have done differently in the same situation. They are being compensated, although there will be some that don't take advantage of the free cruise they are offered. I was surprised how good people looked.

It was ironic to me to watch the coverage, especially the "EXCLUSIVE" reports from the CNN reporters. Everytime one of the passengers said "it's not as bad as the reports" or "the crew has been so helpful" they were cut off.

This thing turned into a microcosm of what is going on in the USA today. You have the networks that think that any big business is bad and that people should be compensated beyond reasonableness for any discomfort. One of the CNN "commentators" suggested that Carnival should give everyone of these cruisers, cruises for LIFE! Did they say anything about all the airlines that left people on the tarmac for 7 hours years ago getting free airfare for life? No..but now "BIG BUSINESS BAD!!!" Even if this business is not a USA owned business. I was waiting for someone to say that government should take over the cruise industry!

Look, I would not have wanted to experience this, and I applaud many of the passengers for their spirit! I am not sure that I would have been as enthusiastic as some. But really, things happen in life and you have to deal with them.

Carnival is never my first choice for a cruise anyway.

It would have to be some extraspecial deal for me to sail them again anyway, have sailed them 2X, but the last 3 cruises have been on NCL and PCL. Honestly because they were nicer ships and had much much better itins.

yes, I know PCL is part of the Carnival Corporation.

Wouldn't say that yet. They've taken a black eye but it also hurts the whole cruise industry. Most Americans have not taken a cruise and this incident will not encourage them to try it.
your right about the amount of Americans who have cruised. Only about 20% have cruised. But Americans love good value and a cruise really is a great value vacation. Today many will agree with the media, next week, will be a different story. As a travel professional, none of my clients that I spoke with this week have had any negative comments about cruising. In fact, I'm on track to have my best week of cruise bookings since the Costa ship accident last year.

Are you really sure that the results of a like emergency would be any different on RCCL or any other line? I think probably not.

How about flying the new Dreamliner. Is that a never do also?

Wouldn't say that yet. They've taken a black eye but it also hurts the whole cruise industry. Most Americans have not taken a cruise and this incident will not encourage them to try it.

This is true.

My family and friends and even some casually known folks all know how much I love cruising and are not surprised when I say I have a cruise booked.

But when you ask them if they will ever or are going to be taking a cruise, the majority will say no way!

They will say they are claustrophobic, get seasick, don't want to be confined on a ship, would rather sit on a beach for 5 days straight, etc. etc.

I amazes me how many people are not interested in cruising.

and I am not talking about a small circle of local people I know, I have been hearing this for years...every place I go.

While I would choose Royal Caribbean over Carnival I have to highly disagree with the OP.

According to all of our cruise contracts Carnival did not have to compensate the Triumph passengers the way did but they are really coming through on this one.

My cruising cap goes out to you Carnival.

now that we have facebook, twitter and we can get news, info in seconds

It's because of this that Carnival won't be "toast". In the next few days there will be another big story that will take attention away from Triumph and focus will shift. Happens all the time. I'm sure there will be updates, such as when they discover the reason for the fire, but that will last a day or two and then be gone.

Don’t bet on it!!!! Months after the Concordia March 2012 RCCL stock dropped to $19.00 and I just sold it 34. Its too funny watch both stock prices Carnivals barley dropped after Concordia.

Your proclamation would have fit right in with last nights coverage of Triumph's return on CNN. Sensationalism at its best! One reporter was trying to get a passenger to agree that this was similar to Hurricane Katrina!! The passenger reminded him that they 'were on a freaking cruise ship and everyone was ok' and wouldn't consider that comparison. Most of of passengers felt that Carnival did what they could and that the crew was excellent. I'm sure lessons will be learned, but 'toast', doubtful....

Archived