RSVP MSC Divina 2.15.14

bradpole

Thanks to everyone who came and sang at my piano bar. You were all AWESOME!

Let's do it again soon!

Jack

Hey guys! I can't believe we are a day away from this amazing cruise.

I'm Jack Aaronson, I am hosting a singalong showtune piano bar (plus some pop, rock, etc...) on the cruise.

I'll be playing in La Luna Piano Bar, and my schedule is:

Saturday - 9pm

Sunday - 9pm

Tuesday - 9pm

Thursday - 11pm

Friday - 9pm

If you are a theatre type, come and enjoy the best of broadway, sing along or come sing a solo! I'll be doing non-theatre music also, so stop on in!

See you all on board,

Jack Aaronson

This is only the second time for me in Miami and both times the disembarkation was awful, not the fault of the cruise line but CBP both times. Never had issue in Fort Lauderdale. Only 2 CBP agents checking people out when i left shortly after 10 am

Yes got off at 10:45 and had delay with customs. Part of the Problem was guys not having their passport and customs form out and in hand. Group of three in front of us stood there unti thy were called and then dug through their bags to find them. Customs guard didn't let overs go in front of them.

I felt Divina was a great ship. Better in some ways than HAL. Brad, Paul J. Rachel and Randle along with the rest of he RSVP staff tried to resolve any problems quickly. Overall they Dora great job. Good entertainment, something for everyone.

We made it to the airport and through TSA in short amount of time. $24 total for taxi from the port to MIA. Easier, cheaper and better than bus transfers.

Dan

My partner and I did self assist and were off the ship and on our way by 8:15.

As to MSC...a few years ago we did a Caribbean cruise on the MSC Poesia and did not have a good experience mostly due to bad crew attitude throughout the ship. They just didn't seem to want to be there hence service really suffered so we were very hesitant to go on this cruise however I have always wanted to try an all gay cruise and the timing was right so thought we'd try MSC again. Well I must say that unfortunately it was about the same as our last MSC experience crew wise. Although there were some very nice and service oriented crew aboard (especially at the Cafe D'Italia) we found most of the crew just didn't seem to want to be there and service suffered as a result. We didn't let this ruin our cruise though and we think that RSVP did a great job but we've decided not to cruise with MSC again (bite me once shame on you...bite me twice shame on me).

We enjoyed our first gay cruise quite a lot though and would definitely consider an RSVP cruise again just not on an MSC ship.

This was my first Gay Cruise and I must say that I was very impressed with the RSVP team. There was never a moment on the cruise that I did not feel like I needed something to do. The entertainment brought on the ship was amazing and I also was impressed with the MSC Shows. The theme parties were so much fun and everyone seemed to be having a great time. I do agree that the food was not the best I have had on a cruise, but I will say it was far better than the Carnival cruise I went on in December. I found the crew to be very friendly and willing to do their best to fulfill reasonable requests.

I know there were a lot of upset people, but to be honest I think negativity is sometimes like a virus and it spreads like crazy. I think some people just like to hear themselves bitch for no reason. I saw one passenger just screaming at a bar tender because he was pissed off that his cabin was not serviced earlier in the day. How does yelling at a bartender help get your cabin cleaned???

I thought the ship was very nice and I chose to look past the few minor issues with MSC and enjoy the overall experience. I am ready to book my next RSVP cruise and would also do it on the Divina if they decide to do so.

It was great meeting some of you and the CC Meet & Greet!

The ship is beautiful, but needs some signs to help locate restrooms. The food and much of the crew was not up to HAL standards. The RSVP events and entertainment were better than ever.

I could have written this brief review! I agree completely!

I'm curious as to why he didn't think the crew was up to HAL standards.

Homophobia?

Because they were simply not as good as HAL's. Nothing to do with homophobia.

There were some as friendly and fun as on HAL but some were just cold and unengaging - much like MSC's reputation is (the European way, allegedly).

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by Boytjie

Well, we had a medical issue to deal with in Ft. Lauderdale: Richard has a detached retina and instead of having a procedure to fix it in Ft. Lauderdale later in the week we got the OK to fly home a day early and he will have the orocedure in New York tomorrow.

Well, we had a medical issue to deal with in Ft. Lauderdale: Richard has a detached retina and instead of having a procedure to fix it in Ft. Lauderdale later in the week we got the OK to fly home a day early and he will have the orocedure in New York tomorrow.

So sorry to hear that, Peter- Our best to Richard for a quick recovery!

I'm curious as to why he didn't think the crew was up to HAL standards.

Homophobia?

The crew on a HAL ship is not like any other. Very friendly and fun to be around, especially the bar staff. And they do a great job. My bar bill would have been twice what it was if I could have gotten a drink within a few minutes of sitting down. And in the buffet on HAL, they were ready with a smile and to help. It was just the general attitude and demeanor on the Divina, not homophobia.

We had a great cabin steward who could well be from HAL. And some of the dining room staff were great, though over-worked. And working in a very cramped space. That was the most crowded and chaotic main dining room I have ever encountered on a cruise ship. Having a relaxing evening meal was difficult with all the reaching and rushing.

The bars on the ship are so beautiful, that just sitting there was something of a treat. But we managed to order a drink only a few times. And a couple of those turned out to be something not very well prepared. It was not the experience I expected on such a ship.

Peter, please pass on get well wishes to Richard.

Yesterday I booked the Divina for my birthday in September. Need to try this line and see the ship. I must admit I am not concerned with the differences as noted by many on cruise critic threads as I want something different. Years back before Carnival absorbed Costa I loved the non North American flavor of Costa.The staff service was professional but not overly friendly which sounds like the Divina presentation. I will admit I am over big ships, but the price of the cruise was too good to pass up. The price for a B3 balcony on deck 13 forward was about $670 per person based on double occupancy. At that price I can suffer:rolleyes:

Cant wait to hear every ones reviews. Only big concern is the smoking policy. I would have a problem if the ship is a big floating ashtray.

PS....what was your favorite public space or bar?

Tom aka Bertha

Tom, I don't usually settle in one bar - except for the Lanai Bar on Pride of America but that might have been more about Micah ;)

The most beautiful bar IMO is the Golden Jazz Bar. Favorite other place: the very back of the buffet area, most people don't notice it and it overhangs the stern so you look straight down at the wake.

Edited by Boytjie

The atrium is the most amazing public space. There must be 100,000 lights within view from there. Though the glass elevators going up and down can be distracting.

I really liked the look of the Silver Bar, just off the atrium on Deck 6. But nearly all the public spaces have some appeal. It really is a beautiful ship. The main dining rooms, with that awful "Black Crap" name, was not that great. Even if it weren't so crowded, it would not be a great space. Sort of unusual to have most of the ship be pretty and the main dining rooms to be unattractive. We never ate in the Villa Rosa (the 3rd main dining room) but looking into it, I thought it was nice.

Good luck to Peter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was my first RSVP cruise and I was really impressed. The entertainment was fantastic and there were always plenty of activities going on. I think the use of coupons for drinks worked out well--kept the wait times at bars down and gave provided for a nice discount for drinks. RSVP Cruise Director Brad was great--established a fun and friendly atmosphere and MSC Cruise Director Andre was fantastic-really got into the spirit of things and made a great partner/foil for Brad (those two should go on the road with their act). I was impressed by MSC--the MSC shows were great--best I've seen at sea--and the Divina was beautiful. I found the crew to be friendly and helpful. I must admit, I avoided the dining rooms in favor of the buffet (to see as many shows as possible) so I missed what I understand was a lot of confusion and long waits.

I am a big fan of Holland America, but would love to sail on Divina again. I will definitely add RSVP to options for consideration next year.

And thanks to Boytjie for arranging the Cruise Critic meeting; it was great.

Sorry to hear that, I hope all goes well with the procedure.

I wanted to say overall we had an excellent cruise, and although some things were not perfect, we LOVED the Divina! Was it HAL, no, but we didn't expect HAL. It was nice to try something different.

We're spending a couple of days in Charleston,SC on our way home, and will hopefully get started on a small review and put it in the main MSC section in the next few days Including our drive that changed by the minute to avoid that horrible storm!

Peter, it was nice to final meet you in person!

This was my first Gay Cruise and I must say that I was very impressed with the RSVP team. There was never a moment on the cruise that I did not feel like I needed something to do. The entertainment brought on the ship was amazing and I also was impressed with the MSC Shows. The theme parties were so much fun and everyone seemed to be having a great time. I do agree that the food was not the best I have had on a cruise, but I will say it was far better than the Carnival cruise I went on in December. I found the crew to be very friendly and willing to do their best to fulfill reasonable requests.

I know there were a lot of upset people, but to be honest I think negativity is sometimes like a virus and it spreads like crazy. I think some people just like to hear themselves bitch for no reason. I saw one passenger just screaming at a bar tender because he was pissed off that his cabin was not serviced earlier in the day. How does yelling at a bartender help get your cabin cleaned???

I thought the ship was very nice and I chose to look past the few minor issues with MSC and enjoy the overall experience. I am ready to book my next RSVP cruise and would also do it on the Divina if they decide to do so.

It was great meeting some of you and the CC Meet & Greet!

Your comments are perfect. Love what you said about the ship and workers and how people treat them. Every cruise ship is not perfect, but love your comment like a virus. When I hear these people bitch I gotta wonder if I was on the same cruise. I bet the reason the guys cabin was not made up was because he had a card in the key slot that kept the lights on, it also puts on a light outside to tell the steward not to come in. My room was not made up one day and I ask her what happen and she explain to me the reason why. No need to get bitchy about it.

Your comments are perfect. Love what you said about the ship and workers and how people treat them. Every cruise ship is not perfect, but love your comment like a virus. When I hear these people bitch I gotta wonder if I was on the same cruise. I bet the reason the guys cabin was not made up was because he had a card in the key slot that kept the lights on, it also puts on a light outside to tell the steward not to come in. My room was not made up one day and I ask her what happen and she explain to me the reason why. No need to get bitchy about it.

The light above the cabin door thing is an awesome new innovation I had never heard of before and is pretty darn cool *if* you know about it. I made the same mistake, keeping a card in my light switch and that kept my steward out all day. He told me he thought I was in the room based on the light above the door (actually he spoke almost no English, so he pointed to the card then the light, pulled the card out, light went off, put it in, light back on and I was like OOOOOOOH, I get it LOL). I know my friends were joking they want to find a way to rig it up so their cabinmate knew they were "busy" instead of putting a sock on the door LOL

I actually really liked the Divina overall. The food and service, enh, there were some issues but nothing that ruined my trip by any means. I can cook better than most the cruise food served anyway, even on Holland America it was really just fancy cafeteria food, served to hundreds at a time.

I actually really liked the Divina overall. The food and service, enh, there were some issues but nothing that ruined my trip by any means. I can cook better than most the cruise food served anyway, even on Holland America it was really just fancy cafeteria food, served to hundreds at a time.

Exactly. The food I just deal with it on all the ships, Nothing spectacular, you cant over season everything, dishes are all prepared ahead of time and not everyone is going to agree on taste. Unless you go to a pay area where the food is freshly prepare, Thats why all the cruise lines have them now. My last few cruises I only gone to the dining room a couple of times.

Hello all. I missed this cruise, and I have a question about the Davina. I noticed that the ship, in its online descriptions, had decks and features set aside for the higher-paying customers, and off-limits to everyone else. Was this enforced during the RSVP cruise? I think that would be a drag.

Looking forward to the cruise in 2015.

Hello all. I missed this cruise, and I have a question about the Davina. I noticed that the ship, in its online descriptions, had decks and features set aside for the higher-paying customers, and off-limits to everyone else. Was this enforced during the RSVP cruise? I think that would be a drag.

Yes, the Yacht Club was off limits for anyone that was not in one of those cabins. It has its own concierge, bar and lounge, sun deck and pool (I believe there is a pool) and a separate dining room.

Honestly, the ship is laid out in such a way that unless you knew the areas were there you wouldn't even know the spaces were off limits.