TA Selection

luvSClake

Benefit of using local TA vs online TA? I have never used a TA before, have always planned our vacations myself. However, it has been recommended here that first time cruisers us a TA. We are looking at taking an Alaskan cruise on the Princess Star, had been leaning towards HAL, but it looks like Princess out of Seattle is going to be better logistically for us and she appears to have more amenities. So far from looking at their website, it doesn't look like the TA nearby deals with Princess. I guess my main question is...What are the advantages of finding someone local over using an online TA? Thanks

I used to always deal with a local TA but they have become fewer and fewer. In 2005 I saw an ad for a good deal for a cruise in a magazine and called. The TA I talked to turned out to be really good and I am still using her (she's in Maryland and I am in Virginia). I would look for some of the big companies online, call them and see what they are offering. Also, doesn't hurt to check them out with the BBB before you actually give them any money.

Benefit of using local TA vs online TA? I have never used a TA before, have always planned our vacations myself. However, it has been recommended here that first time cruisers us a TA. We are looking at taking an Alaskan cruise on the Princess Star, had been leaning towards HAL, but it looks like Princess out of Seattle is going to be better logistically for us and she appears to have more amenities. So far from looking at their website, it doesn't look like the TA nearby deals with Princess. I guess my main question is...What are the advantages of finding someone local over using an online TA? Thanks

The advantage of using a local TA over an online TA is the personal touch. A local TA is someone who you can go to and speak to in person.

It is sort of like calling a big business and getting an automated answering machine instead of a real person. Both may be able to provide you with the information you are seeking, but I prefer to speak to someone who understands enough to laugh when I reply "confusion" to the question, "What state are you calling from?" rather than, "I'm sorry, I didn't understand your response."

We've had both good and bad experiences using online TAs. In all cases, we have been assigned one specific rep within the corporation as "our" TA, so have had the personal touch, even though we couldn't meet with them face-to-face.

This is a delicate subject here on CC but here is my take based on forty+ years of cruising on 14 different lines. When we book any cruise we normally shop around among several of our favorite on-line agencies and also check the cruise line's own web site. In most cases we simply book with whoever has the best deal. Most of the large online TAs now have their computer systems linked directly to the major cruise lines so when you book a reservation online (or over the phone if they input the info as you speak) it will flow directly to the cruise line's computers. The credit card payments should be handled by the cruise line (not by any TA) and you should be able to obtain your booking number which you can check by logging onto the cruise line's site.

As to local TAs, we have no interest! The reason is that most local TAs have little real experience in the cruise world (there are exceptions) and seldom offer deals as good as we can find from the high volume online agencies. Like most things there are exceptions but that is our basic take on the subject. You also should be aware that some so-called local cruise line agencies are simply "Outside" sales people for a few larger agencies and/or consortiums.

Hank

It took us a while to find a good TA locally -- no Internet back then.

We had asked friends and co-workers.

Now we have a TA that we have had for over 24 years.

We like the idea that we can go and see her any time -- call her any time. And she has worked out a couple of clitches for us.

Hope you find a good TA.

I agree with another poster - make an appointment with a couple of TA's in your local area by using the phone book. Discuss with them what you are wanting to do & learn their suggestions. Good TA's will make recommendations giving pro's & con's. Ask them how many cruises they have been on. If none, they may not be the one for you. If they've cruised a number of times that's good.

When booking with a TA you will have to go thru that TA for any dealings with the cruiseline. Can be both good or bad, depending on the situation.

Find out any fees the TA might have--Change, Cancellation, Airfare, etc.

Archived