24+ weeks pregnant

mom2RV

I know that the rule is you can't sail past your 24th week, but has anyone sailed past or near their 24th week? If you don't tell anyone you are pregant (and it has been a normal, healthy pregnancy so far), will anyone ASK are you pregnant? I am sailing with someone who will be 25 wks and 1 day when we sail... so 26 weeks when we get done. It is her first, so she isn't very big yet... should she risk it? Her doctor will write a letter saying she is in good health, but that is it. Anyone experience this? We had booked this cruise before she got pregnant and there are many of us going, so not possible to move it.

thanks

Mom2RV

Jess, you do know that Celebrity monitors these boards, don't you? How many people named Jess from Kentucky will be on your cruise? They should be able to figure out in a moment which is your party and who is likely to be the pregnant one, so the question may be moot.

But to answer your question, yes, they may in fact ask if she is pregnant.

As someone whose job is taking care of babies at 24,25, and 26 wks who were having a "perfect" pregnancy until they were delivering their 1 pound baby. I can not say loudly enough DO NOT let your friend consider this as an option. It takes very specilized medical care to deal with problems at this age. The medical center on the ship and in most of the islands can not care for this infant. While the odds are with her of nothing happening could she live with herself if the worst does.

As someone whose job is taking care of babies at 24,25, and 26 wks who were having a "perfect" pregnancy until they were delivering their 1 pound baby. I can not say loudly enough DO NOT let your friend consider this as an option. It takes very specilized medical care to deal with problems at this age. The medical center on the ship and in most of the islands can not care for this infant. While the odds are with her of nothing happening could she live with herself if the worst does.

So whats the difference in a baby at 23 weeks that might be safer then at 24 weeks ?

23 wks is what is known as " the limit of viability" which means it is the earliest age a baby can be born and have a chance of survival. At 23 wks only 30% will survive in a NICU in a developed country. At 24 wks survival increases to 50% and by 26 wks 70% but still with months in the hospital. The cruise lines usually use 23 or 24 wks based in these numbers. On most islands on the Reflectons route I would expect much lower survival of the doctors even have the ability to try.

While the odds are with her of nothing happening could she live with herself if the worst does.

We were in a similar situation, and this is what it came down to for us. We decided we could never forgive ourselves if the worst were to happen. We ended up doing a fabulous land based trip instead.

Mike

I did not know this policy back in 2000 when I was pregnant with my son. My brother-in-law saw the 24 week cut off and brought it to my attention. I knew I would be over 7 months when we were traveling to Alaska. I called the cruise line (in this case NCL) and they offered me a refund but I begged them to let me go on the cruise. Finally- they said that if I bought a specific insurance policy that would pay any costs incurred should I need to be airlifted off the ship- then I could go. So that is what I did. The policy was only $250.

Now this is not to say they will make an exception for anyone else. I sailed and one day someone was airlifted off. It was a pregnant woman in her first trimester- who miscarried and was flown to Vancouver without her husband or any family. I was fine and had no problems whatsoever.

I am not sure anyone would even notice your friend was pregnant if she isn't really showing- although at 25 weeks- I was. If she is discovered- they could have her removed from the ship which might be embarrassing.

I was 23 weeks pregnant at the end of my last cruise. I made sure I had the correct paperwork submitted, brought copies and confirmed in advance that they had been received. At check in noone asked or commented on my pregnancy/paperwork, however I was diligent in making sure they had the required items in advance, so there was no need to bring it up. Would they have asked if they didn't have the papers? Who knows. That said, there is no way I would ever risk it if I was over the time frame permitted. What will you do when you arrive to check in and she is not permitted to board? Or worse, discovered mid-cruise?

I do understand the question on what is the difference between a 23 week pregnancy and a 25 week...it doesn't seem to make much sense as really, anything can happen at anytime...but the way I look at it, they have to draw the line somewhere.

This is BAD idea, all the way around.

I am a retired pediatrician who took care of many premature babies until they could be transferred to an NICU (and took care of the babies in NICU early in my career). Of course, the odds are against her going into labor that week, but if it happens, it is unlikely that the baby would survive if born on the ship, though he/she would have a good chance if born in a proper hospital at 24-25 weeks. As others have mentioned, the parents would have a hard time living with that. I would not want to be the ship's doctor if a woman delivered a baby at any gestational age onboard, but a 24-25 week premie might put the doctor in an ICU also!

Frank

And, what if, for some unforeseen reason, the pregnant mother went into labor and needed an emergency C-section because of pre-eclampsia, placenta abruption, water breaking early, etc. There is far too much at risk, not only for that unborn baby but for the Mother as well. Obviously the guidlines are in place for a reason.

Have your baby...enjoy each moment of the new, precious life you have created and are bringing into the world. There will always be time for cruising and vacations. Parenting is all about making sacrifices and good decisions. You do need to "step up to the plate".

I am a retired pediatrician who took care of many premature babies until they could be transferred to an NICU (and took care of the babies in NICU early in my career). Of course, the odds are against her going into labor that week, but if it happens, it is unlikely that the baby would survive if born on the ship, though he/she would have a good chance if born in a proper hospital at 24-25 weeks. As others have mentioned, the parents would have a hard time living with that. I would not want to be the ship's doctor if a woman delivered a baby at any gestational age onboard, but a 24-25 week premie might put the doctor in an ICU also!

Frank

Thank you, thank you for posting. I'm also an RN...worked pretty much the whole gamut in nursing, including Peds and OB.

23 wks is what is known as " the limit of viability" which means it is the earliest age a baby can be born and have a chance of survival. At 23 wks only 30% will survive in a NICU in a developed country. At 24 wks survival increases to 50% and by 26 wks 70% but still with months in the hospital. The cruise lines usually use 23 or 24 wks based in these numbers. On most islands on the Reflectons route I would expect much lower survival of the doctors even have the ability to try.

Well if that's the case about cruising while pregnant they should only allow later term pregnancies to cruise, since the earlier the term the survival rate is so much lower if something should happen while abroad.

I've been on many cruises, and I am accustomed to filling out a health form at checkin. Those forms usually asked about vomiting, fever, diarrhea, and such. on my cruise last month on NCL, the form also asked about pregnancy....the first time I recall seeing that question. I do not know if Celebrity is asking about pregnancy on their form right now, but there is a first time for every form change...So the OP's friend could easily be asked to sign a form about her health, and a pregnancy question could be included. the. What would she do? Lie? Oh, bad choice. Tell the truth? She'd be over the limit and would not be allowed to board.

Well if that's the case about cruising while pregnant they should only allow later term pregnancies to cruise, since the earlier the term the survival rate is so much lower if something should happen while abroad.

What??????? :eek: :eek: Who wants to go on a cruise and experience childbirth at sea? :rolleyes: What kind of a cruise would that be...and there could stil be complications. :rolleyes: SMH! :rolleyes:

You are completely misunderstanding the reasoning. Before the 24th week there is minimal chance of survival even if born in a state of the art hospital. Once into the 24th week premature babies stand a decent chance of survival, but ONLY if they quickly receive quality medical care (and the cruise ships are NOT set up to provide adequate medical care to premature babies). Hence very sound reasons for this policy. Ravinblue provided some excellent information and hopefully the OP's friend will take heed and make alternate plans.

This rule is relatively new and the reason is there were a number of women who went into early labor on cruise ships and they had to be airlifted off the ship. Unfortunately, one of the babies died and the family sued the cruise line (I know the law firm/lawyer in Miami that handled the case--they didn't win). After that, they started the 24 week rule.

OP, why do you think just because its this person's first pregnancy that she won't show? You can be very flat and the next day you suddenly pop out. Plus, the letter from the doctor MUST list how many weeks her pregnancy is, so there's no hiding that unless she can get the doctor to lie. It's really a bad idea, especially knowing that first pregnancies can be tricky and first babies can have the tendency to arrive early.

This is one I wouldn't chance especially with a first pregnancy. I was fine and then a couple months in started having pains and had to be put on bed rest.

I might be a Negative Nellie but what if something happened and she lost the baby. Is going on a cruise worth the risk? I would feel guilty the rest of my life about choosing a vacation over a baby.

I know that the rule is you can't sail past your 24th week, but has anyone sailed past or near their 24th week? If you don't tell anyone you are pregant (and it has been a normal, healthy pregnancy so far), will anyone ASK are you pregnant? I am sailing with someone who will be 25 wks and 1 day when we sail... so 26 weeks when we get done. It is her first, so she isn't very big yet... should she risk it? Her doctor will write a letter saying she is in good health, but that is it. Anyone experience this? We had booked this cruise before she got pregnant and there are many of us going, so not possible to move it.

thanks

Mom2RV

What amazes me is the number of people who start a post with "I know what the rule is BUT" they don't want to have to follow the rules the cruise line puts in place for their safety and that of other passengers.

You may not think she is showing because you see this person on a regular basis however, astute port agents are VERY likely to notice the baby bump and ask for the documentation. When she can't produce it they won't allow her to board and there won't be a refund even with travel insurance because the cruise contract specifically states you can't sail past 24 weeks and she waited until the sail date to do anything about it. She isn't close. She will already be over it.

Even her doctor is smart enough not to lie to try and get her on the boat. Stop and consider this: what if something like the Carnival Triumph should happen? If a pregnancy crisis develops as a result then what? There will be plenty of cruises but there is just this opportunity to have a healthy baby with this pregnancy. She can cruise another time. The couple won't forgive themselves if something goes wrong and they lose the pregnancy because they pushed this and they will be less than thrilled if they are denied boarding and lose the money paid.

Snark mode on:

Who thinks that in a few months we'll see a post from this family: "I know that we can't cruise with a baby under six months but has anyone tried" followed by "I know that we can't let our non-toilet trained baby into the pool but has anyone tried" followed by "I know that we can't enroll our underage toddler in the kid's program but has anyone tried" up to "I know that we can't serve our underage teenager beer on board but has anyone tried".

Snark mode off.

As a mother of two, I would pass this bit of info onto your friend.

You are going to be giving up TONS of stuff on behalf of your children. GET USED TO IT.

This cruise is just the start!

BUT once the kids are bigger you can take as many cruises as you want.

WITH or WITHOUT children.

You would never forgive yourself if something happened to your unborn baby and it isn't really a great way to start off trying to shape and mould your child into a responsible, contributing member of society... when you KNOW the rules and STILL choose to break them just because it is what you WANT to do.

Good Luck with the rest of your pregnancy, I hope it does go as smoothly as expect it to.

Actually, and being serious this time, many cruisers have reported that traveling on a cruise with a six-month old is fairly easy. It's when they are toddlers that it becomes a real challenge, keeping an eye on them all the time, being aware of fussy times coming on, mood changes, being overly tired, temper tantrums, and all the other challenges of being two or three years old.

As a mother of two- I can say that the best age is 3 and up to travel with kids. Prior to that you really need to bring so much stuff with you, you are really limited to activities day and night- that I never found a cruise with a little one terrible "fun". In fact, so many babies have difficulty readjusting to life on land- i.e sleeping in their room without mommy and daddy. Their sleep patterns are disturbed and they are overstimulated.

The best vaca-IMO with a baby- toddler is traveling to visit with family- where there is a kitchen and others around you to help with the baby. Believe me- helping hands are what one needs when you have a little one. That's what makes it a vacation.

My daughter took her first cruise when she was 4 months old; and before my second child was born, we took a cruise when I was 8 months pregnant. Obviously things were different then. You should have seen me at the muster drill with the lifejacket on--hilarious!

My H (no D) at the time was (is) a physician who delivered babies, so I never really gave it a thought!

Archived