All Things Adventure of the Seas

With so many drivers looking for business I find it pretty easy to size them up. I would not be too nervous about it.

It is St. Croix that I was not impressed with not St. Lucia. I found Nelson's Dockyard to be very interesting. I think they did a great job with the buildings. It has been a few years since we were there. I am sure that it has only improved since then.

I love the two major forts in San Juan. They are very much worth exploring. I alsoways look forward to returning to San Juan. It is a beautiful city.

Oh dear, I missed typed! I meant St Croix- St Lucia sounds like one of those places where we are going to have to trim down what to do!! I hope they do the sail by the Pitons in St Lucia, that sounds wonderful! We've got another great aft balcony, and DH will love getting photos if they do that.

So, thank you, you've helped already! We will add Nelsons Dockyard to our Antigua tour. And we know not to spend a lot touring St Croix...maybe we will try "winging it" there with a hiring a taxi driver at the docks, I will report back how that goes and it might be good for a laugh in my review;)

In OSJ in November we took a "tunnel tour" at San Cristobal, which was excellent. We had flashlights and actually got to go into parts of the fort normally off limits to visitors. I want to leave Sat open for Jeff and Emily to explore both forts and take some tours. I may wander off to go to the museum we missed on our last trip!

I hope they do the sail by the Pitons in St Lucia!

Never had the ship do this. But if any CC member does the catamaran sail to the Pitons, they will experience most of the Catamaran passengers rushing to the front of the ship and on the webbing to take photographs as you approach.

Bit of a nightmare, if you do not get in the front rank then you photograph backs of people.

do what we do. As you approach the Pitons go to the stern of the Catamaran behind the skipper. Take a position an make yourself comfortable, because as the Cat turns and sails away you will have the best view and photographs without all the hassle. Simples;):D

I hope they do the sail by the Pitons in St Lucia!

Never had the ship do this. But if any CC member does the catamaran sail to the Pitons, they will experience most of the Catamaran passengers rushing to the front of the ship and on the webbing to take photographs as you approach.

Bit of a nightmare, if you do not get in the front rank then you photograph backs of people.

do what we do. As you approach the Pitons go to the stern of the Catamaran behind the skipper. Take a position an make yourself comfortable, because as the Cat turns and sails away you will have the best view and photographs without all the hassle. Simples;):D

Very good advice!!:D We often have a stern cabin on the ship and sometimes we hear that people say, "but you can't see where you are going", but we've found the view of where we've been as we leave is just as lovely!;)

Question for you, Port Royal- did you do the ships catamaran tour? They often look a little over crowded to me. We did Calabaza in Barbados and there were only 12 of us, even all of us up front didn't fill that spot on the bow!

Very good advice!!:D We often have a stern cabin on the ship and sometimes we hear that people say, "but you can't see where you are going", but we've found the view of where we've been as we leave is just as lovely!;)

Question for you, Port Royal- did you do the ships catamaran tour? They often look a little over crowded to me. We did Calabaza in Barbados and there were only 12 of us, even all of us up front didn't fill that spot on the bow!

Yes - three times

Times 2 and 3 were with different friends

Agreed they are crowded at the front and on the webbing. The stern remains empty for most of the time, except for the serving of food. :eek:

Sometimes the Cat will have a small webbing at the stern - perfect

Remember at the stern you are mostly in the dappled shade, but much closer to the beers and rum punch:D

Thanks for the link!! We are celebrating New Years Eve on the Adventure in December. Looking forward to enjoy the changes!!:):)

I'm on the next sailing after that. You guys try not to completely destroy the ship with the NYE festivities, ok? :cool:

I received the following from RC on Friday. It appears to be an updated list of ship refurbs.

http://cruisingpoweruk.co.uk/docs/rcc_product_news_33_2715757302.pdf

The last one I received showed Adventure as coming soon with upgrades TBA.

I'm confused because I have read that Adventure will not be getting a nursery but from this list it appears it will be. Great news for my family if true as we are on Adventure twice this summer.

I received the following from RC on Friday. It appears to be an updated list of ship refurbs.

If that was released just this past Friday, they are not proofing their materials very well.

It shows Vision and Legend with 'IPADs in cabins', something they gave up on over 18 months ago. It shows Navigator servicing 'Europe' even after refit that is 'coming soon' and completed in February.

These along with many minor errors. Looks like a copy and paste job from previous revitalization schedules at the least.

If that was released just this past Friday, they are not proofing their materials very well.

This is the e-mail that came attached stating just SOME of the new features you'll find onboard.

Would be dissapointed to find out that she is getting next to no updates (a la Independence).

RCI-AD-tradeemail-UK_images_RCI-Ad-header.jpg

Adventure of The Seas, 04th May 2014

Book Between 21st - 24th March 2014

$100 onboard Spend!

Click here for our latest Adventure of the Seas Offer!

As of April 2014, there’ll be more to Adventure of the Seas® than ever before. Thanks to an amazing new makeover, your guests will enjoy even more fantastic features, innovations, entertainment and delectable dining options. The wait is almost over!

Royal Babies and TotsSM Nursery for little ones aged 6–36 months

Massive Outdoor movie screen overlooking the main pool area

Giovanni’s Table dishing up a great choice of hearty Italian fare

Cupcake Cupboard serving freshly baked, gourmet cupcakes

Digital signage to keep you updated on what’s on and where

Touchscreen Wayfinders to help you find your way around the ship

To view upgrades across all of our fleet click here.

Just some of the new features you’ll find onboard:

Looks like the email may have been from a TA, not RCI, since the PDF is being hosted on a 3rd party website (not RCI's media domain). This could very well be an older pdf (since it still talks about Feb '14 coming soon). That being said, it is in line with the known upgrades to Adventure (except for the potential scrapping of the Nursery plans).

The last one I received showed Adventure as coming soon with upgrades TBA.

I'm confused because I have read that Adventure will not be getting a nursery but from this list it appears it will be. Great news for my family if true as we are on Adventure twice this summer.

I emailed C&A and they forwarded my email on to those in the know (ie the relevant department) ... the catagoric answer is that Adventurer will NOT be getting a Nursery during this dry dock :( .... I didn't ask about any of the other upgrades, only the Nursery as that's what I was interested in

Adventure will continue with 7 night sailings throughout the summer season 2015. This was included with a more detailed press release on the Explorer revitalization and re-deployment to Europe in 2015.

http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/press-release/1090/explorer-of-the-seas-to-homeport-in-southampton-uk-and-sail-european-waters-in-2015/

Adventure of the Seas will remain at San Juan, Puerto Rico, to sail seven-night Southern Caribbean cruises throughout the summer season.

Adventure will continue with 7 night sailings throughout the summer season 2015. This was included with a more detailed press release on the Explorer revitalization and re-deployment to Europe in 2015.

http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/press-release/1090/explorer-of-the-seas-to-homeport-in-southampton-uk-and-sail-european-waters-in-2015/

Adventure of the Seas will remain at San Juan, Puerto Rico, to sail seven-night Southern Caribbean cruises throughout the summer season.

Thanks for posting. Wondered why 2015 sailings were delayed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just got off AOS yesterday. Our cruise started with a 3.5 hour delay in Philly due to two (2) separate mechanical issues. Arrived at the port at about 3:30 pm only to find about 2,000 passengers standing outside in the 90 degree temps. We lined up like everyone else expecting at any minute to go aboard. There we stayed till 5:30 pm with no water,. no food, and most importantly, no RCCL staff on site to answer questions, give out info, etc. Finally got through the queue and onto the ship only to find out we were not going anywhere because of the problem with the fixipod that broke the week before. We were told the following: leave at 10:00 pm Sunday; leave at midnight Sunday; leave at 10:00 am Monday; 2:00 pm Monday; very, very late Monday night; early Tuesday morning; 2:00 pm Tuesday; very, very late Tuesday night; and noon on Wednesday. Just as a note, my cabin was directly above the open top "honey dippers" that were emptying our personal waste. MMMMM.

During the delays and promised times of departure, we received communication from the captain about a $250 on board credit, then a $500 on board credit, then, as people made arrangements to depart the ship late Tuesday and Wednesday morning, we got good news - all our cruise fare was being refunded and we were receiving a 50% discount on a same price cruise to be used in the next year.

We lost our stops in Barbados and St. Martaan but did stop at the other 3 islands on the itinerary. They shortened them by an hour or two but nobody really cared at that point. We just wanted to sail and see something.

Overall, I give RCCL a 8.5 for doing what was right for it's customers. Lack of info on that first day was their biggest downfall.

Now for the cruise itself. AOS is old and tired. Visible rust on the verandas, worn out towels, chips on the wooden accessories, faded carpeting and drapes, very aged pool area. Can someone explain to me why RCCl would keep one pool closed during our time in San Juan and open it when we are visiting ports of call? Made no sense to me. Good thing she is going in for re-furbishing.

Food was actually very good. Nice variety in Mozart dining room. Chefs stepped up their game. Windjammer was okay - only ate breakfast there twice. Lunches around the pool were very nice - paella and barbecue. Breakfast in Mozart was very good. Portofino's was well worth the extra $25 for us. The food was creative, tasty, and presented well. The wine list needs some help.

Entertainment is not RCCL's strong point. The ice show was very good, everything else was like watching a high school group perform. I'm sure the kids gave what they had but it was not worth the time. The Elton John impersonator was embarrassing.

If you paid me to go to St. Croix, I doubt I would go. Very unimpressive stop. Antigua was interesting but has a lot of poverty that was visible throughout our tour. St. Lucia was the highlight of the week. Our tour with James Tours was fantastic. James was waiting at the dock for the six of us even though we were two days late. At first we were tightly packed into a taxi rather that James's bus but we soon rectified that by letting him know that it was not going to work the way it was set up. He rearranged us and we ended up in a comfortable air conditioned van. His pricing is higher than RCCL tours and what you get off the street but we got to personalize where we went and what we wanted to see. We also received a beautiful and savory lunch overlooking the Pitons. For our group it was well worth extra few dollars. If you book, try to get Daisy for your guide - she was informative and fun to be with.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All! This will be our first time on the Adventure and the first time sailing with Royal Caribbean. We love San Juan and the Southern Caribbean so this itinerary fits us perfectly. I have two questions for those experienced with this ship. First, are the Coke freestyle machines available? And, is there a Starbucks on board as well? Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Hello All! This will be our first time on the Adventure and the first time sailing with Royal Caribbean. We love San Juan and the Southern Caribbean so this itinerary fits us perfectly. I have two questions for those experienced with this ship. First, are the Coke freestyle machines available? And, is there a Starbucks on board as well? Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

No Coke Freestyle machines and no Starbucks venue on Adventure.

They may serve Starbucks brand coffee at Cafe promenade, but not sure about that.

You can purchase Starbucks at the Cafe Promenade

Scott

***Don't dispair***

I'm not asking about the packages. I know what is included in the package and I know what package we will buy.

However when is a good time to buy the drinks package?

I'd be interested in the experiences of UK based pax who have sailed on Adventure out of the UK.

We have the money ready to buy the package today. However someone we know said that on embarkation they were offered an upgrade to a balcony for £40 if they bought the drinks package.

There appears to be plenty availability on the 8th May from Southampton. We have a PR cabin and guarantee OV is much less than we paid.

What are your experiences? We don't want to wait and find that you can't buy it onboard, or find that it's more expensive onboard.

Thanks for your input

Grant x:)