Norwegian Sun

janniebabe

We loved the breakfasts in Moderno over the buffet. They had a great omelet station and made to order waffles :)

Is the breakfast in Moderno for everyone or just for suite guests. We'll be on in five weeks!:D

Are the omelets made to order as well or just pre-cooked specific types??

Danke!

Is the breakfast in Moderno for everyone or just for suite guests. We'll be on in five weeks!:D

Out to sea! - Omelets were made to order :)

MS52 - The breakfast in Moderno was for everyone when we sailed. I don't know if the restaurant is technically called Moderno in the mornings. It was on the same deck as the Garden Cafe (main buffet), and had a small buffet with hot and cold offerings as well as the made-to-order omelets and waffles.

At lunch time that same restaurant has really yummy pizza, too! (like puddles99 said earlier)

Bitte ;)

Out to sea! - Omelets were made to order :)

MS52 - The breakfast in Moderno was for everyone when we sailed. I don't know if the restaurant is technically called Moderno in the mornings. It was on the same deck as the Garden Cafe (main buffet), and had a small buffet with hot and cold offerings as well as the made-to-order omelets and waffles.

At lunch time that same restaurant has really yummy pizza, too! (like puddles99 said earlier)

Bitte ;)

Hot diggity damn!!! I love a freshly made omelet made the way I want almost as much as I love lobster!! Woohoo!!! :D

Vielen, vielen Dank!!!

Edited by Out to sea!

Moderno is just on the other side of the buffet so if you want some stuff from the buffet and others from Moderno, it is very easy to do. Typically we would have to sit in Moderno as the buffet on the Sun is smaller and seating was usually filled up.

Also, you used to be able to exit/enter by the pool in the more forward door/entrance area on the port side.

Ooooo! I just remembered that in addition to the four hot tubs in between the pool, there's one on the deck above (next to the kiddie pool) that was never very crowded (although that may have been because there were a total of 4 children on board during our sailing). That may be a little hit or miss depending on the population of little ones :)

One of our favorite memories of sailing on the Sun was sitting in that hot tub watching the Icelandic coast shrink on the horizon!

• 1 month later...
OK I took the plunge and am booked (paid the deposit) with my wife on the Norwegian Sun June 30 2014 - Southbound Alaska - Whittier - Vancouver - any tips I would be most grateful for

We're headed off on the northbound Alaska cruise from Vancouver in two short weeks. I'll post a review and tips upon my return.

We're headed off on the northbound Alaska cruise from Vancouver in two short weeks. I'll post a review and tips upon my return.

Enjoy your cruise. Looking forward to reading your review we will be heading to Alaska on the Sun this year too.....but not until September.

The Observation lounge on the top deck in the bow has awesome floor to ceiling windows on three sides and is very quiet most of the day.

There are doors on either side in the front that lead to a small outdoor area overlooking the bow. A great place for photos, especially when coming into port.

The Sports Bar also has some awesome floor to ceiling windows which give a fantastic view. Drinks are available from the bar there all day, and snacks like wings, fish & chips, hamburgers etc are available 5:30pm-5:00am.

We've loved our cruises on the Sun.

We will be doing the same cruise on June 17th. We have done two Alaska Cruises--one on Princess and one on Carnival. We've never been on a Norwegian Cruise and am looking forward to doing so. I am most anxious to hear about the ship!

Thanks so much for starting this! I have several questions concerning the ship and an aft balcony--category B1

1. Are there easily accessible electric outlets? Would it be wise to bring a power strip or extension cord. If so, would it be the same type used in the United States?

2. I have cruised on Princess and Carnival ships but never before on Norwegian. Is there a place to hang a shoe bag for storing odds and ends? I found one very handy on my previous cruises.

3. Is there plenty of room (shelves, drawers, hanging space) for clothing?

4. What are the chances of the pools being open on an Alaskan Cruise?

Thanks!

My sister and I did the 10 day cruise on the Sun in March. It is a great ship, incredible staff. Very comfortable and clean cabins. As others have said, if you like "wings" check out the Sports Bar..they are crispy, big and delicious. There wasn't a popcorn machine when we were there. Don't miss the acrobatic couple they were great. Also, check out BONGO at the Champagne Bar. Not only does he make fabulous martini's, he is quite the entertainer :D. He has many tricks up his sleeves and what seems like an unlimited supply of jokes. If I had ANYTHING negative to say it would be that band around the pool is just too darn loud, and they played all day long. So we just found spots away from the band so we could "relax", read and nap.

OK I took the plunge and am booked (paid the deposit) with my wife on the Norwegian Sun June 30 2014 - Southbound Alaska - Whittier - Vancouver - any tips I would be most grateful for

Do a search for user "computerworks" as he has a great photo tour.

Mini-suites on the Sun are extra-special! I prefer the bathroom module on a Sun mini to the PH on other ships!

Does anyone have pictures of any of the min suite, we are booked in 1214 and 1215

Does anyone have pictures of any of the min suite, we are booked in 1214 and 1215

I don't have any yet but we will be sailing on her in a few weeks and we too are booked in room 1214. I will post a review after we get back

I don't have any yet but we will be sailing on her in a few weeks and we too are booked in room 1214. I will post a review after we get back

Oh thanks, we are sailing Nov 10 2013 on a 10 day cruise, our dauther will be in 1214.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks so much for starting this! I have several questions concerning the ship and an aft balcony--category B1. I just did a B2B on the Sun, Los Angeles to Vancouver and Vancouver RT to Alaska. Loved the Sun! The first week we were in an aft mini-suite, second week in an aft balcony B1).

1. Are there easily accessible electric outlets? Would it be wise to bring a power strip or extension cord. If so, would it be the same type used in the United States? You'll probably want a power strip if you have many electronics.

2. I have cruised on Princess and Carnival ships but never before on Norwegian. Is there a place to hang a shoe bag for storing odds and ends? I found one very handy on my previous cruises. In a B1, you'll want your shoe bag and you can hang it on the bathroom door--that's what I did.

3. Is there plenty of room (shelves, drawers, hanging space) for clothing? I would have liked more room in the B1, but we were on an Alaska cruise so had heavier clothing than normal. The minisuite had TONS of closet space.

4. What are the chances of the pools being open on an Alaskan Cruise? I did the 5/13 Alaska cruise. I didn't notice anyone in the pools (just the hot tubs) but they looked open for business.

Thanks!

Hope this helps!

One of our favorite spots on the Sky (sister ship to the Sun) is the observation deck, all the way forward on (is it deck 11 or 12?). None of the other NCL ships, that we have been on, have this great of an outdoor, forward, public observation deck.

Enjoy your cruise!!

I was on the Sun Vancouver / Alaska cruise last week.

I saw one person swimming in the pool one day.

I didn't see any signs of a "swim against the current" pool / area.

Re: powerstrips, yes, regular US current, extension cord or power strip in good repair.

If you're on a northbound sailing, could I ask a favor? Could you check the time when you set sail, then again when you pass under the Lion's Gate Bridge, leaving Vancouver? We'd like to be out on deck when we pass under the bridge, but we also want to make a dinner reservation at Teppanyaki for that first night (not lobster fans and hubby's birthday, so we thought it would be a fun first dinner). We don't know whether to make an early or late dinner reservation so as not to miss the bridge.

Thanks!

[Could someone please tell me if there are coffee posts in every stateroom. We have an aft blacony (not a suite) on the SUN. Thank you.

quote=janniebabe;37360745]Always fun to have people familiar with a particular ship chime in and educate those of of who have not sailed on her yet. My family and I are going to be aboard the Sun in 09/2014 so we have lots of time. I am assembling a tip letter for all of the people sailing and am looking for those tips and "secrets" exclusive to the Sun. Have done this with other ships and it is always fun - and most of the time very valuable information to have! Any tips anyone? ;)