Norwegian Sun

janniebabe

[Could someone please tell me if there are coffee posts in every stateroom. We have an aft blacony (not a suite) on the SUN. Thank you.

quote=janniebabe;37360745]Always fun to have people familiar with a particular ship chime in and educate those of of who have not sailed on her yet. My family and I are going to be aboard the Sun in 09/2014 so we have lots of time. I am assembling a tip letter for all of the people sailing and am looking for those tips and "secrets" exclusive to the Sun. Have done this with other ships and it is always fun - and most of the time very valuable information to have! Any tips anyone? ;)

There are coffee pots in the balcony rooms but not in the inside rooms so you will be fine.

[Could someone please tell me if there are coffee posts in every stateroom. We have an aft blacony (not a suite) on the SUN. Thank you.

I was on the Sun earlier in May in an aft balcony. Yes, it had a coffee maker. It's a basic little 4-cupper, so I brought my own filters and coffee. You'll like the Sun!

• 1 month later...

September will be our first time on the Sun. We have been on Jewel and Dawn class ships. We liked the option of having a late lunch at Blue Lagoon. I understand the Sports Bar is the Sun version of the Blue Lagoon, but it doesn't open until 5:30. Is there an alternative that would work for us (sit down service with burgers or sandwich) between 2 and 4 pm other than the Garden Cafe?

If you're on a northbound sailing, could I ask a favor? Could you check the time when you set sail, then again when you pass under the Lion's Gate Bridge, leaving Vancouver? We'd like to be out on deck when we pass under the bridge, but we also want to make a dinner reservation at Teppanyaki for that first night (not lobster fans and hubby's birthday, so we thought it would be a fun first dinner). We don't know whether to make an early or late dinner reservation so as not to miss the bridge.

Thanks!

I have sailed out of Vancouver 3x. If you leave from Canada Place, it seems like it was maybe 20-25 minutes, 10-15 minutes longer if you leave from Ballantyne. Didn't actually time it but it takes a while to back out and turn around and get going.

• 3 weeks later...
Can anyone tell me if the divider between the aft mini-suites balcony can be opened? We will be sailing with another couple in the adjoining suite.

Believe no. I was in 9076. You should just hang out on the suite balcony. What are your #s and theirs?

I was in 9078 in May. (Loved it!) I don't recall a way to open the dividers, but they are slanted, so if you are all standing at the railings you can easily see each other. And I think there's enough room on either balcony for all to sit, especially if you exchange the loungers for chairs. Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...
This reminded me . . . there is a pizza bar in Moderno during lunch as well. Also, I just posted in another thread that you can get a pitcher of sangria in the Sports Bar and take it with you to go elsewhere on the ship.

Does anyone know about how much a pitcher of sangria will cost with gratuity? We love sangria!

We just booked on the Sun for Sept 2014, Anchorage to Vancouver. Glad to see most here in this thread have good things to say. I read through several of the reviews, (mostly the 2013 reviews), in the official review section and a lot of negative comments about the quality of the food and the wear & tear condition of the ship. The second issue is strange to hear, given the overview says this ship had a 12 day dry-dock refurb in 2011.

Also wondering about the sangria, as well as what frozen drinks cost. Don't plan to do the alcohol pkgs as we are not serious drinkers and would not spend anywhere near $112 a day on alcohol.

We just booked on the Sun for Sept 2014, Anchorage to Vancouver. Glad to see most here in this thread have good things to say. I read through several of the reviews, (mostly the 2013 reviews), in the official review section and a lot of negative comments about the quality of the food and the wear & tear condition of the ship. The second issue is strange to hear, given the overview says this ship had a 12 day dry-dock refurb in 2011.
Gosh, people who would say that must have gone looking for wear and tear. We never saw a thing when we were on her in May, and I've been known to spot problems. I honestly thought she looked brand new. Edited by Cruise_More_Often

Also wondering about the sangria, as well as what frozen drinks cost. Don't plan to do the alcohol pkgs as we are not serious drinkers and would not spend anywhere near $112 a day on alcohol.

I was on in March. Looked fine. Booked again for Oct 2014. Will be a three-peat. My favorite ship so far!

I was on in March. Looked fine. Booked again for Oct 2014. Will be a three-peat. My favorite ship so far!

Glad to hear this. I'm travelling her for the first time in Nov 2014. Take good care of her for me! ;)

Edited by Out to sea!

We just booked on the Sun for Sept 2014, Anchorage to Vancouver. Glad to see most here in this thread have good things to say. I read through several of the reviews, (mostly the 2013 reviews), in the official review section and a lot of negative comments about the quality of the food and the wear & tear condition of the ship.

We are booked on the Sun for a Jan. 22 cruise to the Caribbean. We were on the NCL Pride of America earlier this year. We liked everything on the POA except the food. To get quality meals, we ate 4 out of 7 evenings in the speciality restaurants. Hope we have better luck with the Sun's food.

We just back from a Vancouver to Whittier cruise on the sun-yes some of the decor shows its wear and age but that didnt stop the cruise or the activities from being great

However,with regards to food-of 4 cruises that i have been on-the other 3 were celebrity and carnival-this was by far the worst food we have had on a cruise-Moderno was great-le bistro was just ok-and both main dining rooms were anywhere from mediocre to poor

that being said-the service was wonderful

margincall, sorry to hear this. I do not intend to do the specialty dining and one ought to get at least "good", "very good" or even better from the main dining rooms. Anything less is unacceptable and if this is a trend to force people to pay extra for better food, then this may be my last cruise.

I'm hoping that, (and nothing personal), but that you and some of the others who rated the food as mediocre or worse are just more picky than I am. :D

Sailed on Carnival in 1999 and Premier Cruise Line in 1994 and all meals in the MDR's were excellent to outstanding, all foods were very tasty.

I hope NORWEGIAN CRUISE LINE staff take notice of all the negative reviews in regards to food quality and do something about it. Not only a couple of you who have chimed in on this thread seem to feel this way, but as I mentioned, many of the reviews in the Official Review section said this as well.

If after my first meal on the SUN, we find the food too bland or just not tasty, would it be best to complain to the Cruise Director, the Purser or someone else?

I tried to find an email address for NCL to write and inquire about these complaints of food quality, but could not find one to use.

We just back from a Vancouver to Whittier cruise on the sun-yes some of the decor shows its wear and age but that didnt stop the cruise or the activities from being great

However,with regards to food-of 4 cruises that i have been on-the other 3 were celebrity and carnival-this was by far the worst food we have had on a cruise-Moderno was great-le bistro was just ok-and both main dining rooms were anywhere from mediocre to poor

that being said-the service was wonderful

I thought the food in the main dining rooms was OK, but the service was SLOOOWWW! Teppenyaki was awesome and East Meets West was great.