Cliffs Notes from my RCI cruise to CCL folks.

seannyice81

Just back from my RCI Independence of the Seas cruise. Pretty good! Some surprises though. Heres a couple quick comparisons

-Food- Carnival was so much better. I would have killed for a Blue Iguana burrito! The dining room service took longer and they had more staff! Anyone who complains here would be surprised with how it compares.

-Entertainment- RCI was so much better! LIVE REGGAE/CARIBBEAN MUSIC on the Lido Deck!!!

-The ship was awesome! and HUGE! RCI Doesn't have slides or a ropes course, but they do have flowriders and rock walls!

-Bow thrusters caused earthquakes in the front half of the ship! I wondered if one was about to come loose!

-No secret decks, but you can walk out on the bow!

I go more into depth on the RCI board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1800736

I'll probably sail both lines again at some time. Its good to see if the grass really is greener across the street once in a while. In this case it was just as green.

I've kinda considered jumpin the fence...maybe one day.

What was the atmosphere like on the RCI cruise? Less of a party atmosphere?

Atmosphere is a little less party and a slightly more upscale. That said, people do have a pretty good time on the lido deck.

Also, the guests nationalities varied quite a bit more than my CCL cruises. Overheard many different languages/accents from other passengers.

Edited by seannyice81

Just back from my RCI Independence of the Seas cruise. Pretty good! Some surprises though.

I'll probably sail both lines again at some time. Its good to see if the grass really is greener across the street once in a while. In this case it was just as green.

Thanks for posting your review, it's a good, in-depth comparison and well written.

Ms B

-Entertainment- RCI was so much better! LIVE REGGAE/CARIBBEAN MUSIC on the Lido Deck!!!

I am going on the Dream at the end of the month. Do they have a Reggae band by the pool? I was on the legend a few years ago and they did. Not as good as Royal Caribbean though.

I am going on the Dream at the end of the month. Do they have a Reggae band by the pool? I was on the legend a few years ago and they did. Not as good as Royal Caribbean though.

From what I've read here, they stopped with the bands in 2010 or so. Only DJs on my Liberty and Glory cruises.

I haven't considered jumping fences, but would like to try another line just to have something to compare to. The others are just so much more expensive!!! :eek::eek::eek:

My RCI cruise was more expensive and a balcony cabin was absolutely out of the question. It was tough justifying the additional cost, but I spent less in other areas.

It's been a few years since I cruised Carnival, but the last time I did, they had a two man band that played a "canned" version of Caribbean music. I have such fond memories of my first Carnival cruise over 10 years ago when they had a large Caribbean band that was phenomenal. I really miss the live band; wish they never did away with them.

I haven't sailed Carnival yet (9 weeks I will though). I am sad Carnival doesn't do the photo CD like RCI does. Small thing maybe but paper pics make no sense to me in this day and age.

I haven't sailed Carnival yet (9 weeks I will though). I am sad Carnival doesn't do the photo CD like RCI does. Small thing maybe but paper pics make no sense to me in this day and age.

I have a couple theories on why, but I'm not sure at all.

I'm sure CDs or emailed photos will come in time.

My one and only cruise that i've been on so far (splendor) I was bummed that I couldn't go out on the bow. Are there any CCL ships that you can? I don't want to relive the King of the World moment, just think it would be a cool place to go out and watch the ocean go by...

From what I've read here, they stopped with the bands in 2010 or so. Only DJs on my Liberty and Glory cruises.

My RCI cruise was more expensive and a balcony cabin was absolutely out of the question. It was tough justifying the additional cost, but I spent less in other areas.

What other areas did you spend less on? I am curious if the other area would equal out the more expensive cruise?

I've done both Crnival and RC, but I am with many of you who say the same thing about price. I can't justify the RC price...and I haven't done Norwegian or Disney because of the prices.

I've only done 1 RC cruise, and two Carnival ones, with 3 more Carnival ones planned this year. I think RC has better food, but Carnival has better entertainment, for the exception of live bands. However, I was on RC with my then husband, who is a kill joy, so I think I need to give RC another chance. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have multiple cruises with both lines. And if RCL sailed from Galveston year around, we would probably never sail Carnival. RCL's product is tremendously better than Carnival. Well except for the Chocolate Melting Cake, the food is better on RCL with their new menu. Carnival is Wal Mart while RCL is Macy's. Just my opinion.

I was on Freedom of the Seas in December. My only RCL cruise. It was much more subdued and laid back than Carnival. I really missed all the trivia and activities on Carnival. And many of the passengers were not as friendly as the ones Ive encountered on Carnival. While I enjoyed my RCL cruise, I much prefer Carnival. A good way for me to describe it is on the RCL cruise, I felt like a visitor, but when I cruise Carnival, I feel at home. I feel more at ease, like Im seeing an old friend. I would cruise RCL again if the opportunity ever presents itself, but I think Carnival will continue to be my first choice. :cool:

Just back from my RCI Independence of the Seas cruise. Pretty good! Some surprises though. Heres a couple quick comparisons

-Food- Carnival was so much better. I would have killed for a Blue Iguana burrito! The dining room service took longer and they had more staff! Anyone who complains here would be surprised with how it compares.

-The ship was awesome! and HUGE! RCI Doesn't have slides or a ropes course, but they do have flowriders and rock walls!

-Bow thrusters caused earthquakes in the front half of the ship! I wondered if one was about to come loose!

-No secret decks, but you can walk out on the bow!

I took my first RCCL cruise and was looking for the things that the RCCL loyalists said made RCCL a step up, or a better line.

And came off finding they were just a step aside, not a step up.

And thoroughly enjoying them. Yes, there were some things they had that CCL didn't, and some things they didn't have that CCL did.

And then that most things were right on par with both lines.

So, it was a plus plus for me. It opened up a whole new fleet of ships and a whole bunch of new itineraries to choose from.

The cost of RCI compared to what I booked on CCL (June 2 Carnival Breeze) was almost double!!

I just couldn't justify the cost difference...plus I enjoy CCL a little more! :)

-and that is precisely why I've never gone thru with making a RCI booking!

Twice now I've seriously considered doing Royal Caribbean

but their waaay-more prices stopped me dead, right there!

Yes Royal may be a bit more upscale with nicer decor

but if I want that, I'll just go Princess instead.

The cost of RCI compared to what I booked on CCL (June 2 Carnival Breeze) was almost double!! I just couldn't justify the cost difference...plus I enjoy CCL a little more! :)

I hear ya'! Although we do slip a Royal cruise in there every few years.

We love that they offer the 9/10 day cruises out of Balto.

We'll be on the Grandeur, with a new itinerary, in Nov.

Really looking forward to it. :D

Atmosphere is a little less party and a slightly more upscale. That said, people do have a pretty good time on the lido deck.

Also, the guests nationalities varied quite a bit more than my CCL cruises. Overheard many different languages/accents from other passengers.

Funny you should mention this about different languages and accents. It used to be like this on Carnival. I remember meeting people from so many different countries, and I am not talking of the crew. We had people seated with us from states here, to Ireland, and Sweden! I loved that! I have to wonder if it has anything to do with changes made, and their preferences.

My one and only cruise that i've been on so far (splendor) I was bummed that I couldn't go out on the bow. Are there any CCL ships that you can? I don't want to relive the King of the World moment, just think it would be a cool place to go out and watch the ocean go by...

The Bow area is usually the crew deck.

On the Splendor we watched to ocean go by on top of the bridge.

Only time we've been allowed on the bow was glacier viewing on HAL.