Oriana - Vibration aft

simonpjd

We are sailing on Oriana for the first time in July. And we at 1st sitting in the aft restaurant. After reading through a few reviews it seems a few people say there is quite a bit of vibration and noise back there - is this true. Is it really noticeable. Should we have booked the midships restaurant.

Thank you

Sorry, not been on this ship, but we had a cabin near the aft on a cruise and we would never book this area again. There was a lot of vibration and a constant humming that quite honestly, really got on my nerves. We usually have mid ship cabins, but as this was a last minute short cruise, we had to have what was left.

Sorry its not really answering what you asked, but I hope it helps in some way.

The vibration has definitely improved since her last refit and the new ducktail, but there will always be some vibration over the screws - on any ship. Restaurants are usually allocated by cabin position though - not by passenger preference.

Had a cabin at the rear of Ventura in January, usually book midships but got a late upgrade from standard balcony on C deck to superior deluxe at rear of E. Was a bit concerned about vibration but did not feel any apart from stern thruster. It obviously depends on the ship, Oriana is notorious for her dodgy propellor.

Spent 24 days on Oriana in January in cabin B240 at the stern and did not feel any vibration. Also ate in the Oriental Restaurant and again no problem. We crossed the BoB in a force 9 and had no problems at all.

Had a cabin at the rear of Ventura in January, usually book midships but got a late upgrade from standard balcony on C deck to superior deluxe at rear of E. Was a bit concerned about vibration but did not feel any apart from stern thruster. It obviously depends on the ship, Oriana is notorious for her dodgy propellor.

I found the Metropolis bar on Ventura very prone to vibration when the ship was underway. Maybe being right at the top of the ship was the cause :confused:

Thanks everyone for their replies. I believe this is very specific to the restaurant in the Oriana - we requested the aft restaurant because there are usually good views and, being an old sea dog myself, I just love watching the sea. But I also love a good natter over dinner and a noisy vibration would be not good at all. Of course I have booked a cabin quite forrard in the vessel. Much better - should be no engine vibration and a bit of motion - I do like to know I am at sea. If it was down to me I would scrap the stabilisers!!! When a vessel is pitching and rolling easily it sends me off to sleep in no time. Lovely.

The only vibration I have felt in the Oriental Restaurant was on leaving the berth when the side thrusters were in use. It lasts less than a minute.

I normally ask for the Peninsular restaurant because it is mid ships but last year I was at the mercy of others and was in the Oriental. Really no problem at all, and certainly the views are better.

My invoice and details all say Peninsular restaurant, which is what I requested. We did the same on Fred's Braemar and got the one we wanted. Although I was also told that the smaller restaurant is for balconies and above :-) We had an inside!!

Also, if you're on second sitting, there is no view of the sea, cos it's dark!

We were in Oriental restaurant late last year and the vibration was not a problem at all....we did notice it once as we were leaving our berth during dinner but it last a few seconds and then subsided...it certainly didn't stop us talking!!!!!:)

On Oriana in the Mediterranean at New Year, noise and vibration in the Oriental Restaurant (aft) was horrendous. Night after night. Cutlery and crockery rattling and bouncing. Not pleasant. We had been in this restaurant several times in the past and do not remember such noise. It was a pleasure to eat in the (quiet) Peninsular Restaurant. By the way, the food in the Oriental restaurant was excellent.

An engineering officer said that the noise was caused by the rooster tail from the propellers hitting the underside of the new duckfoot. One passenger in the new cabins where the Kids Club used to be (Mistake, P&O) reported lots of noise in her cabin.

An engineering officer said that the noise was caused by the rooster tail from the propellers hitting the underside of the new duckfoot. One passenger in the new cabins where the Kids Club used to be (Mistake, P&O) reported lots of noise in her cabin.

I had one of the new single cabins in this position to the Caribbean in October and it was fine, vibration and engineering noise-wise (Not so good re noise from the show lounge!). Unless of course she suffered a misalignment of the prop subsequently.

Archived