Cagneys and Suite holder ??'S

bagzrpacked

We are staying in the Aft Penthouse Suite and my sister and brother in law are staying in a balcony room in the aft.

My question is….If my husband wants to eat breakfast in Cagney’s, can he take my brother in law instead of me?

My sister and I aren’t big breakfast eaters so I thought maybe the 2 of them could enjoy breakfast together. :)

Thanks for the info

When we had a suite we were told no guests, though I don't know if they replaced a person instead of being an extra if that would be allowed.

We had two cabins on the Star, one a suite the other was not. We ate breakfast at Cagney's each day, the rest of our party did the buffet, dining room, etc.

We are staying in the Aft Penthouse Suite and my sister and brother in law are staying in a balcony room in the aft.

My question is….If my husband wants to eat breakfast in Cagney’s, can he take my brother in law instead of me?

My sister and I aren’t big breakfast eaters so I thought maybe the 2 of them could enjoy breakfast together. :)

Thanks for the info

That is something that you should take up with the ship concierge. The ultimate answer lies with them.

Even if you hear from people on this forum that they were allowed to do this, it was only because their particular concierge allowed it to happen.

Your concierge may not be so amenable.

You won't know until you ask them.

The home office has told the HD to cut down on non-suite people using Cagneys for breakfast and lunch. While its the Concierge who is supposed to be there every day, its the HD who controls who is allowed. If the HD sees someone who shouldn't be there they will ask the conceirge what is going on. So ask the conceirge or the HD they will tell you yeah or nay...

BTW if you go with your husband takes your brother-in-law everyday(not that he meets them but they go together)- and gives your suite number when you go in no one will know its not you just remember that they are from Colorado and they are married.

They do have a list at Cagney's that gives the name of everyone in the suite. So they will generally know. Plus the crew is very good at getting to know their passengers names and faces. Best advice is to ask, and don't be disappointed if you're told no.

There is no table for one at Cagney's. If the OP decides to go, they would still be taking up 2 seats at a minimum. I don't see what harm there would be if the BIL was allowed.

I see your point, but if this was allowed, it would soon become common knowledge thanks to Cruise Critic, and if every person staying in a suite started bringing guests, you would soon have double or more people than Cagney's normally serves.

It would certainly not be the same experience that those who pay for suites enjoys now.

I see your point, but if this was allowed, it would soon become common knowledge thanks to Cruise Critic, and if every person staying in a suite started bringing guests, you would soon have double or more people than Cagney's normally serves.

I see your point, but the OP isn't traveling in a suite alone. It just so happens the suite-mate doesn't favor breakfast. So the end result is a 1-for-1 tradeoff. In this particular case, there wouldn't be more folks in Cagney's than they would normally serve.

If you want suite benefits, pay for them. Non-suite passengers who eat at Cagney's or attempt to get suite benefits are in effect, being subsidized by suite paying passengers. Compare the fares.

There appears to a fundamentally different set of opinions as to whether or not persons who don't pay for the same suite benefits are entitled to the same benefit as those that do. Those who don't want to pay are the ones who benefit to the detriment to those who are willing to pay.

Personally, I would prefer NOT to dine in the presence of those who seem to think they are "entitled" without having to pay for the benefit.

In the OP's case, they DID pay for it - for 2 people. And they would only be using the privilege for 2 people with a 1-for-1 substitution. Is that really so bad? I understand people who want to protect the exclusivity of the Cagney's benefit but I don't think the OP is really so out of line to want to substitute a person (not ADD a person). That said, I do think they should ask the concierge (or HD) and get formal approval for the arrangement.

In the OP's case, they DID pay for it - for 2 people. And they would only be using the privilege for 2 people with a 1-for-1 substitution. Is that really so bad? I understand people who want to protect the exclusivity of the Cagney's benefit but I don't think the OP is really so out of line to want to substitute a person (not ADD a person). That said, I do think they should ask the concierge (or HD) and get formal approval for the arrangement.

There are various suite privileges that I don't typically use. I should be able to transfer them to other passengers? I paid for them.

There are various suite privileges that I don't typically use. I should be able to transfer them to other passengers? I paid for them.

What did you have in mind? Let's take this argument on a case-by-case basis. Seriously, I just don't see the harm in a 1-for-1 substitution. But it's not the end of the world if I get overruled.

Devil's advocate position: let's say the OP originally switched the names in their bookings (something that is often done when children are involved). Let's say the OP's husband is booked in the suite with the BIL and the OP is booked with her sister. Would it then be ok for the two men to eat in Cagney's together but then swap sleeping arrangements (something that is often done with kids)? To me, it's all a bunch of silly paperwork.

That is something that you should take up with the ship concierge. The ultimate answer lies with them.

Even if you hear from people on this forum that they were allowed to do this, it was only because their particular concierge allowed it to happen.

Your concierge may not be so amenable.

You won't know until you ask them.

To the OP - I see you are getting a lot of negative responses on this thread. I urge you not to be dissuaded here. I again repeat that the final determination lies with your particular ship concierge.

If they say yes to your request, you are good to go. If they say no, then accept that it is no and move on.

John,

Does this mean that someone can use the bathroom I paid for because I presently am not using it? How about the larger balcony? Am I supposed to tip the butler for the meal they enjoyed at my table in my suite while I was dining in the steakhouse? If I opt for an owner's suite do they get to drink the liquor which I paid for as part of the package? How about giving them a duplicate room key?

Suite benefits are not fungible goods like a bushel of wheat.

I go on cruises to try to get away from the "entitlement" society. I book suites with that objective. If NCL chips away at the benefits for which I am willing to pay a premium and rewards those who don't pay with them, SeaDream is looking better and better and maybe not as expensive for what you get, all things considered.

Actually, yes to many of your questions, as long as they're your guest. If you invite someone into your suite, I don't think it's against anybody's rules to offer them a drink. Or use your bathroom. Suite passengers routinely have meals served to them en suite by their butler with non-suite passengers as their guests. Should that be banned?

I guess I think that people tend to get too upset over these issues. Let me make it clear: I do NOT advocate abuse of the system. Additional guests in Cagney's should not be allowed unless approved by the concierge/HD and I don't mean coerced into giving permission.

Lawrd Jesus! I just thought maybe.....maybe someone could dine with my husband while my sister and I go somewhere for coffee and a danish.

I would hardly try to scam anyone out of a "steak and egg" breakfast.

Hell, he might not even want "steak and eggs". He might just settle for a stack of pancakes. I was looking for a seat filler so my husband didn't have to dine alone.

If they don't allow him to "weasel in", no big deal.

And to be honest, he is the guy that would leave a 20 spot on the table because he wouldn't want something for nothing.

Even though, I did pay for it.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Is my sister allowed to sit with me on my suite balcony and drink a coffee from that Kuerig Machine? (joking, I really don't want an answer to that)

Lawrd Jesus! I just thought maybe.....maybe someone could dine with my husband while my sister and I go somewhere for coffee and a danish.

I would hardly try to scam anyone out of a "steak and egg" breakfast.

Hell, he might not even want "steak and eggs". He might just settle for a stack of pancakes. I was looking for a seat filler so my husband didn't have to dine alone.

If they don't allow him to "weasel in", no big deal.

And to be honest, he is the guy that would leave a 20 spot on the table because he wouldn't want something for nothing.

Even though, I did pay for it.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Is my sister allowed to sit with me on my suite balcony and drink a coffee from that Kuerig Machine? (joking, I really don't want an answer to that)

Don't let the "rules iz rules" argument get you down. It's not a question of weaseling, or entitlement, or "pulling one over", and calling it such don't make it so.

Last year, we did exactly what you proposed at Cagney's, and no one batted an eye. Later in the week we had extraordinary circumstances that even the rules crowd couldn't object to, but early on, one person in the balcony would dine with one person in the suite, and we didn't even ask the concierge. As other posters have said, that perk *was* paid for.

Enjoy your cruise and enjoy your penthouse,

elhenry

I have a big smile on my face and my husband said, "Don't get banned from Cruise Critic, we need them."

I laughed and told him it was all his fault.

Everyone on here has been great even the ones that are quick on the trigger.

Happy Cruising to you all!

Archived