Ok, so tell me out ridculous this idea is but...

I don't buy the conspiracy theory. The problem is that the Back Up system on all the Carnival ships is inadequate. It's like when the Titanic sailed with an inadequate number of life boats. Those is authority knew about it but did nothing. As the new ships were being built for Carnival, some one should have asked what would happen if an engine failed or if the main power generator broke down. If the answer was that 20 percent of the power would be restored but most of the toilets would not work, then that should have sounded an alarm. Like the Titanic, it did not.

The only solution now is to replace the back up generators with more powerful units that will do the job for the entire ship. That is not going to be easy. New generators may have to be designed and all the ships revamped. It 's going to cost lots of money and it's going to take lots of time! I also blame the Coast Guard who claim to have no powers to correct the situation. Their function seems to be to ride next to the disabled ships and wait for them to sink. Again like the Titanic, the laws that govern the safety of the ships also seem inadequate.

It's time for Carnival to come up with a plan other than to request patience. I have completed 16 Carnival cruises and am booked for number 17. Come on Carnival, do what's best for your custormer and be honest with us. We want to cruise. ................ Safely!

Just curious what exactly more could the Coast Guard have done?

The only solution now

is to replace the back up generators with more powerful units that will do the job for the entire ship.

Or at the very least run the ventilation system (a.k.a. air conditioning)

and the entire toilet/sewage system!

You cannot have 4,000 people in a confined space

all eating, P-ing and pooing..... without a working sewage disposal system!

The public health situation quickly deteriorates! :eek:

Such a situation is an affront to my human dignity, sorry!

Especially after paying $$$$ for the rare privilege :cool:

I am pretty sure this is all due to some sort of alien life form. they must only be attracted to red and blue whale tails. Somehow their life force is disrupting the ship engines and such. They need to call in Fox Mulder to investigate. just in case

Step One:

Kill all the Bees.

Step Two:

Make all humans stay on land.

Step Three:

Sink the land.

( they are working on steps one and two )

;) hope this puts a smile on your face.

Or at the very least run the ventilation system (a.k.a. air conditioning) and the entire toilet/sewage system! .....

I found out they do not have a Full Backup Fire Suppression System.

I can live without toilets, but not if my backside is on fire !

Lets just hope they can fix both !

:eek:

I don't buy the conspiracy theory. The problem is that the Back Up system on all the Carnival ships is inadequate. It's like when the Titanic sailed with an inadequate number of life boats. Those is authority knew about it but did nothing. As the new ships were being built for Carnival, some one should have asked what would happen if an engine failed or if the main power generator broke down. If the answer was that 20 percent of the power would be restored but most of the toilets would not work, then that should have sounded an alarm. Like the Titanic, it did not.

The only solution now is to replace the back up generators with more powerful units that will do the job for the entire ship. That is not going to be easy. New generators may have to be designed and all the ships revamped. It 's going to cost lots of money and it's going to take lots of time! I also blame the Coast Guard who claim to have no powers to correct the situation. Their function seems to be to ride next to the disabled ships and wait for them to sink. Again like the Titanic, the laws that govern the safety of the ships also seem inadequate.

It's time for Carnival to come up with a plan other than to request patience. I have completed 16 Carnival cruises and am booked for number 17. Come on Carnival, do what's best for your customer and be honest with us. We want to cruise. ................ Safely!

I disagree with your assessment.

Retrofitting the ship to meet SOLAS 2010 standards would be the most obvious solution. There is not enough redundancy between the two engine rooms on these ships. A disabling fire in one engine room shouldn't have disabled the other engine room. Under SOLAS 2010 rules that wouldn't have happened. In the case of the Triumph and similar ships, all that is needed is a second Halon fire suppression system. The Coast Guard has reported that the 3 engines in triumph's other unaffected engine room could have been restarted, but there wasn't sufficient fire suppression ability to put out a fire should another have erupted. IIRC, just ONE of the six main engines is needed for full propulsion.

The backup generator is only for emergency use, to light the required navigation lights, communication equipment, and just a small amount of the hotel functions of the ship. If the ship is designed properly it should only need to be deployed in the event of both engine rooms being disabled.

I disagree with your assessment.

Retrofitting the ship to meet SOLAS 2010 standards would be the most obvious solution. There is not enough redundancy between the two engine rooms on these ships. A disabling fire in one engine room shouldn't have disabled the other engine room. Under SOLAS 2010 rules that wouldn't have happened. In the case of the Triumph and similar ships, all that is needed is a second Halon fire suppression system. The Coast Guard has reported that the 3 engines in triumph's other unaffected engine room could have been restarted, but there wasn't sufficient fire suppression ability to put out a fire should another have erupted. IIRC, just ONE of the six main engines is needed for full propulsion.

The backup generator is only for emergency use, to light the required navigation lights, communication equipment, and just a small amount of the hotel functions of the ship. If the ship is designed properly it should only need to be deployed in the event of both engine rooms being disabled.

You got too technical for me. I think we both agree that some thing is wrong on the ships and needs correction. Like immediately. You can call it back up or engine redundancy or SOLAS 2010 standards, Halon fire suppression, IIRC (what ever?), etc, etc..

When the engines come to a stop for what ever reason, I want the captain to be able to go to the Control Board and press a button that says "RESTORE" on it and the lights go on, the toilets work and the ship starts moving. I don't want to eat bread and water, live in a tent on the Lido Deck or wave to the Coast Guard ship next to us.

Again, I am not disagreeing with you but merely saying I will leave all the details to you Engineers and am telling the Marketing people to resolve the issues while Carnival still has the opportunity.

Just curious what exactly more could the Coast Guard have done?

I would like the Coast Guard to propose to the Government that stricter safety guidelines be established for any ship entering a US port to accept passengers. I don't care what the UN allows or what standard we currently follow. It might be perfectly acceptable to Panama where most of the ships are registered to avoid taxes but the currect rules are not working.

I know the Coast Guard currently reviews each ship and we now have a space on a life boat for each passenger and crew. Next, all we need are lights and a working toilet for the same group whether one or some of the engines are working.

I would like the Coast Guard to propose to the Government that stricter safety guidelines be established for any ship entering a US port to accept passengers. I don't care what the UN allows or what standard we currently follow. It might be perfectly acceptable to Panama where most of the ships are registered to avoid taxes but the currect rules are not working.

I know the Coast Guard currently reviews each ship and we now have a space on a life boat for each passenger and crew. Next, all we need are lights and a working toilet for the same group whether one or some of the engines are working.

I'm not understanding how stricter ship safety requirements falls under the jurisdiction of the coast guard. Thinking that would be w NTSB. Coast Guard is a branch of the military.

I'm just tired of some people I work with making snide remarks that Carnival is horrible and I made a bad choice for my wedding. I have less than 60 days until we set sail and I'm not changing all my plans now.

I wish people could just wish you well instead of wanting to find things that could go wrong for me. :(

Sent from my LG-MS910 using Tapatalk 2

You're taking your wedding party on Carnival. Are you crazy? Why didn't you pick Holland America?(also owned by Carnival). Your wedding party would have had a much better time in the clubs dancing with all those hot 83 year old mama's. Or at least until the 9 o'clock curfew kicks in and the clubs all close.

All kidding aside, Carnival ships are more crowded than most others, but you're still getting a lot more bang for your buck!!!!!! And there's a much more diverse crowd, both in race and in age. Those who talk the most trash have usually never been on Carnival!!!

I'm not understanding how stricter ship safety requirements falls under the jurisdiction of the coast guard. Thinking that would be w NTSB. Coast Guard is a branch of the military.

You lost me. What's a w NTSB?

If the Coast Guard is not responsible for the safety of cruise ship passengers, then it would probably be a good idea to make them responsible. As for being a part of the Military, who cares? I was in the Navy and marched in parades, painted hospitols in foreign countries and rescued foreign fishermen. All in a days work.

You lost me. What's a w NTSB?

If the Coast Guard is not responsible for the safety of cruise ship passengers, then it would probably be a good idea to make them responsible. As for being a part of the Military, who cares? I was in the Navy and marched in parades, painted hospitols in foreign countries and rescued foreign fishermen. All in a days work.

Exactly my point, Coast Guard comes in after the fact. NTSB= National Transportation Safety Board

I'm just tired of some people I work with making snide remarks that Carnival is horrible and I made a bad choice for my wedding. I have less than 60 days until we set sail and I'm not changing all my plans now.

I wish people could just wish you well instead of wanting to find things that could go wrong for me. :(

Sent from my LG-MS910 using Tapatalk 2

Didi, you made a good choice and I'll bet you have a great honeymoon. Most Carnival bashers either are repeating what they heard or have an ax to grind against Carnival. Frequent cruisers (people that cruise all lines) will give you a thumbs up. Best wishes to you.

I look at it completely differently....

the only real issue they had was the Triumph. And since the US Coast Guard had said the part that caused the fire was installed and properly maintained...that was just an accident.

The Dream was pulled as a PRECAUTION. It made it back to Port Canaveral just fine today. Carnival could have NOT put passengers first and just continued on with the cruise and HOPE nothing goes wrong.....like RCCL did when the Allure of the Seas had their engine fire.

The Elation NEVER used the tug that was following it....it was also a PRECAUTION.

The Legend not being able to run at full speed was no big deal. I mean IF the Legend was broken, it would have had to cancel a cruise (which it did not).

So this is more of some irresponsible folks saying 4 ships are broken, when the fact is...it was only one.

And since Carnival put passengers FIRST (instead of profits) by being overly cautious, they get slammed?????

It's probably a string of bad luck and nothing else. The response to these breakdowns by Carnival was pretty poor and earned them well-deserved attention, especially with Triumph -- but they seem to have handled Dream well. Lesson learned, we hope.

If there has been a cutback in maintenance, or a tendency to take shortcuts and overextend the duty time of certain mechanical systems, that will also be a lesson learned.

Archived