Upgraded - Now OBC is GONE!!!

Dave08

So I originally booked our cruise along with a cruise for my parents a few months ago when they were running a special that included OBC. I originally booked my parents in an interior room and received $200 OBC. They wanted to upgrade to oceanview, so a couple of weeks ago I upgraded them and it was only $40 to move up to an oceanview so that was a no brainer.

When I called to upgrade I asked if when I upgrade I will keep the OBC and they said yes. They said it would take 24 hours to show up on my booking. It never showed up so I just got off the phone with them and they said they can't give it back. They said the only thing they could do was to put them back in an interior and the balance would be $200 less. The issue with that is the cruise with the OBC was my parents Christmas present and now it is gone. I obviously wouldn't have upgraded if I knew the OBC was going to be gone.

Any suggestions on how I can get the OBC back or am I screwed?

I booked an interior few weeks ago when they had a half off deposit sale going on.

A week later we upgraded to a balcony during a sale that featured OBC.

I noticed the price went down a day or two ago with a new sale that once again features half off deposits.

So I called about getting the price drop and was told since the new sale does not feature OBC so I would lose any I got with the previous sale if any changes were made.

If you were told that you would not lose anything and you did, I would call back and request a supervisor. They record every call so they could pull that call and review it.

If you upgraded to a different rate that did not include OBC yes you would always lose the OBC that came with a different sale rate. No rates can be combined.

So sorry you found out the hard way. If you have a rate that includes OBC you always have to include the OBC when you figure out the true amount you paid and the difference between another rate.

I wish they would have explained it to you better. Its really simple though.. no rates can be combined so if you upgraded to a rate that did not have OBC with it.. your OBC would be gone.

If you upgraded to a different rate that did not include OBC yes you would always lose the OBC that came with a different sale rate. No rates can be combined.

So sorry you found out the hard way. If you have a rate that includes OBC you always have to include the OBC when you figure out the true amount you paid and the difference between another rate.

I wish they would have explained it to you better. Its really simple though.. no rates can be combined so if you upgraded to a rate that did not have OBC with it.. your OBC would be gone.

I can understand how the system works, but the whole issue is, they told me I would keep the OBC when I upgraded the room to an oceanview cabin from an interior cabin. Obviously if they would have told me I would lose the OBC then I wouldn't have upgraded. Now it has cost me $240 to upgrade to an oceanview. I think this is an unacceptable scenario and they should at least put the cabin back to the original interior category and give me the OBC back.

I can understand how the system works, but the whole issue is, they told me I would keep the OBC when I upgraded the room to an oceanview cabin from an interior cabin. Obviously if they would have told me I would lose the OBC then I wouldn't have upgraded. Now it has cost me $240 to upgrade to an oceanview. I think this is an unacceptable scenario and they should at least put the cabin back to the original interior category and give me the OBC back.

I'm a litte lost, maybe I don't understand.

If they agreed to move you back but at $200 less (but you don't have OBC), wouldn't that be a wash to you?

Carnival should want you to have a bunch of OBC as that costs them, at times, pennies on the dollar. But it may not be possible.

Take the $200 you save with the rate and when you get on board, put $200 obc on their account.

WE have the same problem we are booked on the Dream we are going from a cove balcony to a Panorama balcony. We dont want to be on the lower floors if there is a sewage problem. When we upgraded they told us we would keep our $150 onboard credit which was recorded. Now our onboard credit is gone. When we called back we were told we lost our credit so we asked to speak to a supervisor they said they would get back to us within 72 hours due to the current problems with the dream. The 72 hours are not up yet so I will post what happens.

I have done many cruises with Carnival and love Carnival but if we dont get this credit we might have to change cruise lines like many other people and see if they are the same

Yes that happened to me last week, I applied for the sale that included an obc, and received $180 obc, then a few days later I called to upgrade to an aft cabin which I paid 20pp To do so and my obc was gone I noticed it right away, and called back and was told that I could not combine, so they switched me back and gave me the $180 obc, Friday my cabin was $200 less so I applied for that price reduction and received it again the obc was gone but I knew that was going to happen which is fine because I actually am better off $200 cheaper vs 180 on board credit, I just wish the rep that gave me the upgrade would have told me that I would lose the obc

This is why we deal with a very competent pvp who delivers what she says she will.

Must be nice, my PVP is terrible, I know I could change but without a good recommendation I might end up with someone just as bad or worse

This is why we deal with a very competent pvp who delivers what she says she will.
And I deal with a local cruise consultant right here on the island. ;)

I would never dream of calling Carnival direct, to get some beginner who started last week

who thinks she knows what's going on, promises you that Yes you'll get to keep the $200 OBC

- and get a cabin upgrade for just $40!!! How cool is THAT? :cool:

And I deal with a local cruise consultant right here on the island. ;)

I would never dream of calling Carnival direct, to get some beginner who started last week

who thinks she knows what's going on, promises you that Yes you'll get to keep the $200 OBC

- and get a cabin upgrade for just $40!!! How cool is THAT? :cool:

I though it was pretty cool :) I guess I should have known it was too good to be true. Either way, if you are told you are getting something then it is on them to deliver. I realize the person I spoke with must have made a mistake, but that is their fault and Carnival should stand behind what their employee has told me.

I agree, call them back and tell them someone gave you incorrect info and you want to be put back in the same category (they may not be able to give you the same cabin).

I would make the call.

I was not disagreeing with you..just saying you got bad info.

PS if you are going to stick to some morale thing and say well I want both, I want Carnival to stand behind what I understood the deal was.. they wouldnt take sides, its a losing battle. If you want what you had back you might even have to escalate it to the supervisor level .. but decide which one you want.

I have a excellent PVP who has been wrong a few times, like what OBC can be combined, she told me wrong, and even she couldnt get her supervisor to stand behind the bad info she gave me .. and I think she is one of the very best, but they all make mistakes from time to time.

Get over it and make the call if you want back what you had.

I agree, call them back and tell them someone gave you incorrect info and you want to be put back in the same category (they may not be able to give you the same cabin).

I would make the call.

Thanks for the response :)

I would make the call.

PS if you are going to stick to some morale thing and say well I want both, I want Carnival to stand behind what I understood the deal was.. they wouldnt take sides, its a losing battle. If you want what you had back you might even have to escalate it to the supervisor level .. but decide which one you want.

I have a excellent PVP who has been wrong a few times, like what OBC can be combined, she told me wrong, and even she couldnt get her supervisor to stand behind the bad info she gave me .. and I think she is one of the very best, but they all make mistakes from time to time.

Get over it and make the call if you want back what you had.

Thanks again for the added comments. I'll make sure to "get over it."

Thanks again for the added comments. I'll make sure to "get over it."

Sounds like you are taking it wrong. I just meant that I do not think they will stand behnd what a rep told you, as I have had numerous times in your shoes.

Sometimes with Carnival you have to move on.. is that a better way of putting it? As you dont want it to ruin your cruise. I have won a couple of battles, something they did not have in writing I went up to the VP level. If you think you can win, than do what I did and start trying to email higher ups and get to them.. no one gave me their emails, I just put initial and last name @ carnival.com until I got one to answer.

If this is a fight you think you have good ground to prove you are correct, go for it.

I have over 20 cruises with Carnival since the end of 2006 and 30 more with other lines in the same 6 1/2 years experience fighting with these cruiselines. Thats why my advice they wouldnt back up their reps if they gave you wrong info. Take it how you want, I didnt mean it in a bad way.

Sounds like you are taking it wrong. I just meant that I do not think they will stand behnd what a rep told you, as I have had numerous times in your shoes.

Sometimes with Carnival you have to move on.. is that a better way of putting it? As you dont want it to ruin your cruise. I have won a couple of battles, something they did not have in writing I went up to the VP level. If you think you can win, than do what I did and start trying to email higher ups and get to them.. no one gave me their emails, I just put initial and last name @ carnival.com until I got one to answer.

If this is a fight you think you have good ground to prove you are correct, go for it.

I have over 20 cruises with Carnival since the end of 2006 and 30 more with other lines in the same 6 1/2 years experience fighting with these cruiselines. Thats why my advice they wouldnt back up their reps if they gave you wrong info. Take it how you want, I didnt mean it in a bad way.

Sorry. I did take it the wrong way. I have read a lot of these boards and I have seen a lot of snide comments and I thought that was another one. Sorry about that. I do agree that it is probably a battle that I am not going to win and the best I can probably get is back to where I was originally. It is just frustrating and a hassle.

Sorry. I did take it the wrong way. I have read a lot of these boards and I have seen a lot of snide comments and I thought that was another one. Sorry about that. I do agree that it is probably a battle that I am not going to win and the best I can probably get is back to where I was originally. It is just frustrating and a hassle.

I changed my parents over to ATT uverse and they got a "this is not a bill" saturday after hours, with about $30 more a month than agreed on.

I can't think of anything I hate worse than being on hold and trying to straighten out billing issues.

Carnival is in the middle of all this hassle with ships having issues and posts where people are on hold for a hour or more. I am glad at least its ATT and not Carnival I have to call tomorrow and fix something. Good luck.

When I talked to that VP I told her that I can count three times now where I think Carnival did me wrong. CCers of course to the contrary told me I was wrong each time.. but to me they did not give me what they promised on 3 occassions. We had a nice talk and I won that battle.

So maybe Im not the best person to say get over it and move on since I held some grudges against Carnival. For instance I booked a OV on Ecstasy when I knew they were adding balconys and that cabin would be a balcony. If I knew Carnival knew and agreed to book me into a particular cabin at a set price... months later I got a call from another dept, saying either pay another $240 or we will move you to a cabin of our choice. To me they agreed to book me at a particular price and then reneged.

Of course the CC cheerleaders said pay it, you were trying to get over on Carnival. I said they agreed to the price for that cabin, why should I pay more? I lost that battle. .. Ive had a whole string of knock down drag out battles with Carnival, most of which Ive lost.

Carnival will not stand behind their word. Thats my bottom line with this company.

You're lucky. So far I have used 2 great PVP's and both left the company and a new guy called me but I didn't like the way he sounded so I guess I'll just have to move on.

I changed my parents over to ATT uverse and they got a "this is not a bill" saturday after hours, with about $30 more a month than agreed on.

I can't think of anything I hate worse than being on hold and trying to straighten out billing issues.

Carnival is in the middle of all this hassle with ships having issues and posts where people are on hold for a hour or more. I am glad at least its ATT and not Carnival I have to call tomorrow and fix something. Good luck.

When I talked to that VP I told her that I can count three times now where I think Carnival did me wrong. CCers of course to the contrary told me I was wrong each time.. but to me they did not give me what they promised on 3 occassions. We had a nice talk and I won that battle.

So maybe Im not the best person to say get over it and move on since I held some grudges against Carnival. For instance I booked a OV on Ecstasy when I knew they were adding balconys and that cabin would be a balcony. If I knew Carnival knew and agreed to book me into a particular cabin at a set price... months later I got a call from another dept, saying either pay another $240 or we will move you to a cabin of our choice. To me they agreed to book me at a particular price and then reneged.

Of course the CC cheerleaders said pay it, you were trying to get over on Carnival. I said they agreed to the price for that cabin, why should I pay more? I lost that battle. .. Ive had a whole string of knock down drag out battles with Carnival, most of which Ive lost.

Carnival will not stand behind their word. Thats my bottom line with this company.

When I called last night to get this straightened out, I was on hold for an hour myself. I dread having to call back and wait again!

Archived